• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

We attended our interview earlier this week, at the Chicago office. The Field Officer was professional and pleasant. The process was as others have described it:
  • You'll go through security, rather like at an airport, where your bags will go through a scanner and you'll step through an x-ray portal. We had to take shoes, belts, and watches off. If I had been carrying a laptop, I would have had to take it out and put it into a separate plastic box for scanning. The security guards were nice and friendly, walking you through everything
  • Once through, we went to a check-in desk and handed over our invitation letters. These were stamped and a "booking ID" given to us. We were then shown to a waiting area.
  • Field officers will then come and meet you, introducing themselves and then walking you to an interview room.
  • Once there, we were asked to take an oath that we would tell the truth and then asked to sit down.
  • Your photo will be taken, and scans of your finger prints for both index fingers.
  • The interview went well --- basically you show the documents as you are asked for them. First was our passports and an Illinois State ID (with photograph). Drivers' licence did well in my case. Then we were asked for birth certificates and other supporting documentation. Tip for the wise, don't laminate documents. I vaguely remember seeing this mentioned either in this discussion board, or in the very helpful Google Sheets document sm1smom maintains. Also, worthwhile sourcing up to date versions of any documents. For instance, I had sourced our birth certificates, wedding document, and so on again. The ones we had before were fairly old (decades). The Field Officers know most about the more recent documents and the security features in them. So it is helpful to have the latest versions.
  • We were asked about a dozen yes/no questions from the I-485, as well as to confirm birthdates and the like. Just answer Yes/No to the questions and work through them. I know some of them are odd, but they have to be asked. Be truthful. After all, you've already been through a security check so if there is anything "unusual" in your background, USCIS likely knows about it. You don't want to jeopardise your application by not telling the truth!
  • At the end of the interview we were given "Notice of Interview Results". There is no form number for this document, but it has three tick boxes. The first was ticked, being "Your case is being held for review". The Field Officer explained that she needed to make additional security checks post-interview and that this was normal procedure. She did not have an "approved" form, and that until the security checks were complete the application could not be approved. No mention was made of KCC and checking for visa availability. She shook our hands, congratulated us (!), and then helped us by showing us the way back out of the building.
Two days later we received SMS and email messages informing us that there had been a status change in our applications. We checked both egov and myuscis, finding that "we ordered your new card for Receipt Number ....., and will mail it to the address you gave us".

All in all, it was a very professional experience. The officer handled the interview well, making everything pleasant.

Many, many thanks to BrtiSimon for his wonderful site, which helped us through the initial application, and to Sm1smom for her terrific help. Of course, it goes without saying, thank you to all of you on this site --- you have helped me keep my sanity through this whole process.

I'll update later after the letters arrive.

Congratulations!

Hey Mom,

Just wanted to share the good news with you and everyone else in here that I have received my IL in an email and they said actual letters will be sent through U.S post. Interview date is 8/28. I have updated the timeline. I also verified with KCC and they said my file has been requested yesterday and they will send it today. Fingers, toes, eyes, are all crossed :)

That’s great. All the best with the interview.

Thanks Mom! I want to update you with recent news. today my wife's case was approved (she was the primary applicant) My case is currently "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed" I think my wife's case approved first because she was the primary applicant. If even though my case review will take longer than 2 months (after Sept 30th), I could still get GC when it is approved right because I am dependant to primary application and her case is approved.

Congratulations on your wife’s approval. Fingers crossed, yours will also get approved soon, because contrary to what you posted above, your DV derivative case WILL NOT be approved if it goes beyond Sept. 30th. The only way you’ll be getting a GC will be for your wife to sponsor you, and it will take a while.

Thank you Tommasi,
Any news on your next interview ?
Did you involve the Congressman/congresswoman's office ?
No, news yet. My package was received by them on Wednesday.

I did not involve congressperson yet. However if I dont hear from USCIS still late Aug, I definitely contact them.

Congratulations!

Thank you! Your help and BritSimon's were really important. The document you put together was super helpful, it guided us through the steps, and your help here really makes a huge difference. I really liked the tracking forms you have put together, knowing how others were progressing (or had progressed) helped --- looking up processing times for the Field Offices, for instance.

I hope I'm not "whistling up the wind" and will only finally relax when the cards have arrived, as it has been a bit of a bumpy road getting to this stage, but without your help (and that of Simon), I'm not sure we would have made it.

I really encourage others to fill out the tracking forms. You're helping a wider community --- I, for one, relied on them to see likely tracking times. It helped me keep some sanity. Yes, it is really stressful waiting, and waiting, and waiting (well, you get the drift). But knowing that there are others in the process and how it is going, well, that is really helpful.

I'd also like to thank the folks on this discussion board. Tommas and Vadrouille, thanks for the your help in particular. Tommas, my thoughts are with you. If I could say anything, it is that USCIS looks willing to help and understand applicants. I believe things will work out for you.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your wife’s approval. Fingers crossed, yours will also get approved soon, because contrary to what you posted above, your DV derivative case WILL NOT be approved if it goes beyond Sept. 30th. The only way you’ll be getting a GC will be for your wife to sponsor you, and it will take a while.
Thank you so much! I will keep you posted.

Got my IL today with Interview date set to 09/09. Will be difficult for my son in Canada but we will still try.
IL.jpg

Thank you! Your help and BritSimon's were really important. The document you put together was super helpful, it guided us through the steps, and your help here really makes a huge difference. I really liked the tracking forms you have put together, knowing how others were progressing (or had progressed) helped --- looking up processing times for the Field Offices, for instance.

I hope I'm not "whistling up the wind" and will only finally relax when the cards have arrived, as it has been a bit of a bumpy road getting to this stage, but without your help (and that of Simon), I'm not sure we would have made it.

I really encourage others to fill out the tracking forms. You're helping a wider community --- I, for one, relied on them to see likely tracking times. It helped me keep some sanity. Yes, it is really stressful waiting, and waiting, and waiting (well, you get the drift). But knowing that there are others in the process and how it is going, well, that is really helpful.

I'd also like to thank the folks on this discussion board. Tommas and Vadrouille, thanks for the your help in particular. Tommas, my thoughts are with you. If I could say anything, it is that USCIS looks willing to help and understand applicants. I believe things will work out for you.
Congratulation and thank you for your kind words and I hope that things work out for me too.

Hi Mom,

I received my interview letter by email. It’s scheduled on the 28th Aug. Since me and my husband are students I’m little worried about our savings. We do get enough stipend so that we are above the poverty line. Also you suggested to get an I 134. Do you think not showing enough savings going to be a problem?

Hi Mom,

I received my interview letter by email. It’s scheduled on the 28th Aug. Since me and my husband are students I’m little worried about our savings. We do get enough stipend so that we are above the poverty line. Also you suggested to get an I 134. Do you think not showing enough savings going to be a problem?

Congratulations on getting the IL. Your personal savings becomes irrelevant if you have an I-134.

Hi @Sm1smom,

I hope you are doing well!

1) After receiving the DV based green card, can I immediately change my current job?

2) My Social Security Card says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". Do I have to make any changes in my Social Security Card, before applying for another job?

Thank you!

Hi @Sm1smom,

I hope you are doing well!

1) After receiving the DV based green card, can I immediately change my current job?

2) My Social Security Card says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". Do I have to make any changes in my Social Security Card, before applying for another job?

Thank you!

1. Yes you can. You’re free to work for any employer in the US with your DV based GC.

2. You should actually apply for a replacement SSN card (doing so is highly recommended) - you’ll get a new card without DHS restrictions emblazoned on it.

Hi Mom,

1) My spouse relocated to a different state with his lab in the beginning of August. I am the principle applicant and he is the derivative. Do I have to change his address in the USCIS account ?
2) in the interview letter, they suggest to bring an I-864. Then what is an I-134 ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Dear Mom,
Today I received a denial decision in the mail . It is several page letters. The letter says that I am authorised to stay in usa due to my unexpired visa. I would like to ask if I can file for marriage based greencard immediately or not. Do you have specific blog for marriage based greencard?

Dear Mom,
Today I received a denial decision in the mail . It is several page letters. The letter says that I am authorised to stay in usa due to my unexpired visa. I would like to ask if I can file for marriage based greencard immediately or not. Do you have specific blog for marriage based greencard?
Why did you get denied decision?

Hi Mom,

1) My spouse relocated to a different state with his lab in the beginning of August. I am the principle applicant and he is the derivative. Do I have to change his address in the USCIS account ?
2) in the interview letter, they suggest to bring an I-864. Then what is an I-134 ?

Thanks

1. You’ll have to make a judgment call on that.

2. I-864 is not applicable to a DV based AOS petition - an I-134 is what needs to be presented if the IO requires you to bring in an affidavit of support.

Dear Mom,

Sorry to learn of your denial? What is the reason given for the denial? The answer to this may determine your eligibility for a family based AOS filing.

1. You’ll have to make a judgment call on that.

2. I-864 is not applicable to a DV based AOS petition - an I-134 is what needs to be presented if the IO requires you to bring in an affidavit of support.

Dear Mom,

Is there a disadvantage by changing his address ?

They say that I am not properly listed in the entry, and so send me the denial letter.

You mean you were not listed as a spouse? ( If that’s the case then your wife is very lucky she got approved, as both should have been denied.) Or do you mean there was some error in your information?