• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hi Everyone,
I am a DV winner. I filed my case 6 months ago and still haven't received IL. I called USCIS and they told me that my file(principal) is in NBC, Missouri and my wife's file(Derivative) is in FO.

a. How can that be possible?
b. Is there any way to contact NBC?

1. There have been a few reported cases of the NBC not forwarding AOS petitions to the applicable FO due to pending background check clearance. Which country are you chargeable to?
2. No.

You're aware that even if you find a sponsor for H1B it's still a lottery to get picked with usually significantly less than 50% chance? I'd bank more on OPT for "probable".

It's relatively easy for graduates in my field to work in cap exempt institutions. I'll apply for positions that may need/lead to either and see how it goes.

Contact your Congress person and request them to assist in following up with your case - they can contact your FO and hopefully get some updates on your behalf.
What is the chance of getting the green card if the case is stuck at NBC with only 4 months left?
I did my Bio on January first week.

Admission/re-admission to the US is only guaranteed to a USC. Is your planned trip really worth giving up this rather unique opportunity you have?

It's a trip on a government grant with presentations at regional and international conference and research at multiple institutions that will lead to publications, which will definitely help my career down the road. I've been weighing the pros and cons and talking them over with different people. It's a tough decision to make.

What is the chance of getting the green card if the case is stuck at NBC with only 4 months left?
I did my Bio on January first week.

My immediate response to that is the pendulum could swing “100% either way” which doesn’t tell you anything right? Truth is, I don’t engage on probabilities and I’m not sure how much good that information will do you, so my suggestion is to focus on doing what you can for now and watch things unfold.

It's a trip on a government grant with presentations at regional and international conference and research at multiple institutions that will lead to publications, which will definitely help my career down the road. I've been weighing the pros and cons and talking them over with different people. It's a tough decision to make.

Skipping one conference is very unlikely to impact your career. Being denied entry to US certainly will. Are there no domestic conferences you could attend instead?

1. There have been a few reported cases of the NBC not forwarding AOS petitions to the applicable FO due to pending background check clearance. Which country are you chargeable to?
2. No.
Aww! How stressful! I didn't know cases may get stuck at NBC too.
I prefer to go current in final months and undergo less stress than going current too early and wait 8 months for getting the interview even if I never be able to complete the process on time. :D

Skipping one conference is very unlikely to impact your career. Being denied entry to US certainly will. Are there no domestic conferences you could attend instead?

There are but I am the designated presenter for this conference this time so I also don't wanna upset those professors. Thank you so much for all the advice! I probably will shorten my trip so I can be back a few weeks early for my application for a GC to buy me more time.

Hello everyone, So now that I have submitted my documents, how do you recommend I follow up with the progress of my petition? Britsimon on his website says to contact KCC via email or phone call if I do not receive a ready for scheduling email. What other ways can I get in touch with the people working on my case? What do you think helps in keeping the process going and not lagging behind?

Hello everyone, So now that I have submitted my documents, how do you recommend I follow up with the progress of my petition? Britsimon on his website says to contact KCC via email or phone call if I do not receive a ready for scheduling email. What other ways can I get in touch with the people working on my case? What do you think helps in keeping the process going and not lagging behind?

The information Simon has on his blog is largely geared towards those processing CP. Those processing AOS should be living and breathing the AOS process spreadsheet as it has over 90% of all the information you need. There’s no such thing as ready for scheduling email as part of the AOS process.

taking back my comment - Mom has the best info

The information Simon has on his blog is largely geared towards those processing CP. Those processing AOS should be living and breathing the AOS process spreadsheet as it has over 90% of all the information you need. There’s no such thing as ready for scheduling email as part of the AOS process.

Oh, alright. So what do you recommend those undergoing AOS to do? As far as I can tell from the spreadsheet, it doesnt really mention anything about follow ups.

Oh, alright. So what do you recommend those undergoing AOS to do? As far as I can tell from the spreadsheet, it doesnt really mention anything about follow ups.

Hi Nk, sorry for the long response, I am sharing my opinion here to answer your question only because forum members are encouraged to contribute thoughts to enrich the conversation. Other members are also welcome to add to this if they wish to.
The lack of a “follow-up instructions” tab on the spreadsheet might be due to the fact that follow-up is a multi-step process for which multiple factors vary per FO and applicant situations(each case is different: status, dependents, urgent need to travel while case is pending, miscommunication between FO and other USCIS offices in exchanging other pending application files, background checks pending time, etc.), and each FO has its own workflow; as a consequence, some FOs schedule interviews faster or slower after the biometrics stage than others (a few even before biometrics?).

It is also worth noting, from previous years’ experiences that some FOs may appear to show a certain “workflow pattern” over the years when it comes to DV AoS cases that suggests they either immediately start working on AoS files as soon as they receive them from NBC (after the NBC notification about fingerprints review being completed), or prefer to wait and batch AoS files received in October or November for example with others received in June or July, and schedule them for interviews around the same time, which may be a frustrating thing for an October or November applicant.

After the Biometrics appointment stage, the rest of the AoS process seems to be a game of “Wait....Inquire-Repeat”, it is a dance of patience but also aggressive inquiry when need be, a balance that’s sometimes not easy to maintain.

The prevailing wisdom on this forum concerning follow-up after filing has been to do the following, in that order, so as to be able to space out inquiries while giving the FO time to respond in between inquiries (please note spacing is affected by how much time is left in the FY, those with lower CNs might choose to allow more spacing, while those with higher CNs might choose to be a bit more aggressive with shorter intervals between inquiries as they get closer to FY end) :

1) reading the timeline spreadsheets experiences of past applicants at the same FO; so as to adjust your own timeline expectations;

2) if still no IL within 2-3 months after filing, call KCC to ask if FO requested your file from KCC (they may be busy with CP cases and calling them may disrupt them, but keeping the call short is ok, and they’re waaaaaayy better at phone calls than USCIS.

3) if KCC answers “Not yet”, submit a “service request” by calling the USCIS 1-800-375-5283 number (others on this forum may advise on what is the best time for 1st inquiry). This may “poke” an FO that’s busy with other 485 cases(marriage-based, employment based, etc.) and the SR could also remind them to at least initiate the request from KCC.

4) When you receive the letter in the mail from FO responding to your service request (a letter which may sound like some computer-generated lip-service - “case under review”- and not have much information if they just started working on your case), it nonetheless suggests an IO is already assigned to your case; at this point, call KCC back to see if they’ve received an FO request for your file.

5) if yes, ask them when they plan on sending the e-file requested by FO, if no, repeat step 3 a few weeks later (depending on how much FY time left).

6) still no IL, submit an “e-request” on the USCIS website about “document not received), and explain that IL hasn’t been received yet.

7) if still no IL a few weeks-1 month after confirmation from KCC that they sent your file to FO, schedule an infopass by calling the USCIS # above (these appointments have become almost impossible to get especially for case update)

8) at the infopass, be polite but aggressive in your questions (again a tough balance to maintain, but I don’t know how else to explain it). Other forum members are also welcome to add on this.

9) a month later, escalate to US Representantive (again spacing time will be affected by time remaining in FY, it’s a judgement call); show them a screenshot that it’s been 6 months since the “NBC fingerprints review complete” update, and request their intervention,

10) if no IL or no response from USCIS 3 weeks-1 month after Congress person escalation, escalate to Ombudsman.

This is not a plan set in stone and, again, others on this forum are welcome to add; and you may have to do some adjustments along the way, but by proceeding with these pointers, information about your case will trickle to you progressively

Hi Nk, sorry for the long response, I am sharing my opinion here to answer your question only because forum members are encouraged to contribute thoughts to enrich the conversation. Other members are also welcome to add to this if they wish to.
The lack of a “follow-up instructions” tab on the spreadsheet might be due to the fact that follow-up is a multi-step process for which multiple factors vary per FO and applicant situations(each case is different: status, dependents, urgent need to travel while case is pending, miscommunication between FO and other USCIS offices in exchanging other pending application files, background checks pending time, etc.), and each FO has its own workflow; as a consequence, some FOs schedule interviews faster or slower after the biometrics stage than others (a few even before biometrics?).

It is also worth noting, from previous years’ experiences that some FOs may appear to show a certain “workflow pattern” over the years when it comes to DV AoS cases that suggests they either immediately start working on AoS files as soon as they receive them from NBC (after the NBC notification about fingerprints review being completed), or prefer to wait and batch AoS files received in October or November for example with others received in June or July, and schedule them for interviews around the same time, which may be a frustrating thing for an October or November applicant.

After the Biometrics appointment stage, the rest of the AoS process seems to be a game of “Wait....Inquire-Repeat”, it is a dance of patience but also aggressive inquiry when need be, a balance that’s sometimes not easy to maintain.

The prevailing wisdom on this forum concerning follow-up after filing has been to do the following, in that order, so as to be able to space out inquiries while giving the FO time to respond in between inquiries (please note spacing is affected by how much time is left in the FY, those with lower CNs might choose to allow more spacing, while those with higher CNs might choose to be a bit more aggressive with shorter intervals between inquiries as they get closer to FY end) :

1) reading the timeline spreadsheets experiences of past applicants at the same FO; so as to adjust your own timeline expectations;

2) if still no IL within 2-3 months after filing, call KCC to ask if FO requested your file from KCC (they may be busy with CP cases and calling them may disrupt them, but keeping the call short is ok, and they’re waaaaaayy better at phone calls than USCIS.

3) if KCC answers “Not yet”, submit a “service request” by calling the USCIS 1-800-375-5283 number (others on this forum may advise on what is the best time for 1st inquiry). This may “poke” an FO that’s busy with other 485 cases(marriage-based, employment based, etc.) and the SR could also remind them to at least initiate the request from KCC.

4) When you receive the letter in the mail from FO responding to your service request (a letter which may sound like some computer-generated lip-service - “case under review”- and not have much information if they just started working on your case), it nonetheless suggests an IO is already assigned to your case; at this point, call KCC back to see if they’ve received an FO request for your file.

5) if yes, ask them when they plan on sending the e-file requested by FO, if no, repeat step 3 a few weeks later (depending on how much FY time left).

6) still no IL, submit an “e-request” on the USCIS website about “document not received), and explain that IL hasn’t been received yet.

7) if still no IL a few weeks-1 month after confirmation from KCC that they sent your file to FO, schedule an infopass by calling the USCIS # above (these appointments have become almost impossible to get especially for case update)

8) at the infopass, be polite but aggressive in your questions (again a tough balance to maintain, but I don’t know how else to explain it). Other forum members are also welcome to add on this.

9) a month later, escalate to US Representantive (again spacing time will be affected by time remaining in FY, it’s a judgement call); show them a screenshot that it’s been 6 months since the “NBC fingerprints review complete” update, and request their intervention,

10) if no IL or no response from USCIS 3 weeks-1 month after Congress person escalation, escalate to Ombudsman.

This is not a plan set in stone and, again, others on this forum are welcome to add; and you may have to do some adjustments along the way, but by proceeding with these pointers, information about your case will trickle to you progressively

This is fantastic! Thank you Grug for taking the time for writing such a detailed response! This is what I wanted to know, and I am sure this will be immensely helpful for everyone concerned about the progress of their application. :)

Hi Mom,
I received my IL. Thank you sooooo much for the resources and help. Thank you for answering every single questions that I asked. . I have a few more questions.

1. In the IL, they mentioned about I 864 form. Do I have to fill the affidavit form?. ( I will take a letter from my employer)
2. I am working full time. Do I have to show financial aid?.

Hi Mom,
I received my IL. Thank you sooooo much for the resources and help. Thank you for answering every single questions that I asked. . I have a few more questions.

1. In the IL, they mentioned about I 864 form. Do I have to fill the affidavit form?. ( I will take a letter from my employer)

1. The IL you received from your FO is a generic one used for all AOS petitions. An I-864 is not applicable to DV based AOS petitions, an I-134 is used in place of it.

2. You should plan on taking along any document that can be used to convince your IO you’re not likely to become a public charge. Don’t limit yourself.

Hi Mom,

Wow that was quick.
Can you share your FO location with us. I dont see it on the timeline.