• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hi Mom and all,

A quick and maybe weird question. I re-filed my stuff again yesterday but I was wondering if I needed to take the biometrics again for the second time? I mean my fingerprints haven’t changed,right? They already have my A-number and they my question is if they can just redo the background check based on the fingerprints they took last time?
I ask this because I put another personal check of $1225.00 in my package and I wasn’t sure this was correct or not? Am I redoing biometrics? Did I have to pay $85.00 for it?

Yes you’re expected pay the $85 bio fee again - this is a new petition

Hi Mom and all,

Thank you so much for providing useful information about the AOS process! I read through the spreadsheet and some of the posts but couldn't find an answer. Because of a trip I have to make, I can only file in early August and I'm thinking about whether I should file. I'm currently on an F-1 visa with two more years of education and I know that all GCs must be issued before September 30. Will my F-1 visa/status be affected if my AOS application is denied because an interview cannot be scheduled before September 30? Thanks in advance!

Hello MOM,

can we travel during a pending AOS when you are in H1b visa? USCIS website states you can for certain types of visas, but many people advise not to?
thank you very much in advance.

Now that you mention it, I do remember him receiving a phone call about his interview being rescheduled. I just was not expecting a call, but regardless, I'm excited my interview is this month! It looks like others at my FO had theirs about 90-100 days after their bio. I will update on my experience later and whether my background check has been cleared.

How was the interview?! ;)
Did he mention if your background check has been cleared already?

Hi hi fellow AOSers! Yes, I had my interview and there was nothing unexpected thanks to all the contributors here who've posted about their experience. Having chugged a whole Starbucks flat white right before entering the FO, I was super caffeinated, feeling like a #ladyboss in my white blazer that I somehow managed to keep clean during the whole hour-long metro ride to the FO, and American flag tied around my waist (jk). The IO was very calm and professional; it seemed that he was experienced and had worked on DV cases before. After all the formalities, going through the I-485 form, and checking originals of my university diploma, birth certificate, and the DV fee payment receipt, he said he had requested documents from the Department of State and he would then have everything needed to make a decision on my case within the next week.

When I asked whether my background check had been cleared, he laughed and said, "why does everyone ask me that?" lol. He checked his files, saw that I'd done my biometrics only 4 weeks prior to my interview, but that I was clear. He did mention that he would've conducted an interview regardless, so it seems the Fairfax FO may schedule interviews before background checks are cleared.

Anyway, he said I should receive a notice in the mail when my petition is adjudicated, and the Green Card within 1 month from the notice date. Fingers crossed I get approved! Will post a (hopefully happy) update once I hear back.

Hi hi fellow AOSers! Yes, I had my interview and there was nothing unexpected thanks to all the contributors here who've posted about their experience. Having chugged a whole Starbucks flat white right before entering the FO, I was super caffeinated, feeling like a #ladyboss in my white blazer that I somehow managed to keep clean during the whole hour-long metro ride to the FO, and American flag tied around my waist (jk). The IO was very calm and professional; it seemed that he was experienced and had worked on DV cases before. After all the formalities, going through the I-485 form, and checking originals of my university diploma, birth certificate, and the DV fee payment receipt, he said he had requested documents from the Department of State and he would then have everything needed to make a decision on my case within the next week.

When I asked whether my background check had been cleared, he laughed and said, "why does everyone ask me that?" lol. He checked his files, saw that I'd done my biometrics only 4 weeks prior to my interview, but that I was clear. He did mention that he would've conducted an interview regardless, so it seems the Fairfax FO may schedule interviews before background checks are cleared.

Anyway, he said I should receive a notice in the mail when my petition is adjudicated, and the Green Card within 1 month from the notice date. Fingers crossed I get approved! Will post a (hopefully happy) update once I hear back.

I am glad it went well.
Fingers crossed.

Hi Mom and all,

Thank you so much for providing useful information about the AOS process! I read through the spreadsheet and some of the posts but couldn't find an answer. Because of a trip I have to make, I can only file in early August and I'm thinking about whether I should file. I'm currently on an F-1 visa with two more years of education and I know that all GCs must be issued before September 30. Will my F-1 visa/status be affected if my AOS application is denied because an interview cannot be scheduled before September 30? Thanks in advance!

Your F1 status shouldn’t be affected solely based on your filing of AOS. However, you may have a tough time getting a new F1 visa or any other NIV in the future on the basis of having declared an immigrant intent.

Hello MOM,

can we travel during a pending AOS when you are in H1b visa? USCIS website states you can for certain types of visas, but many people advise not to?
thank you very much in advance.

You may travel without an approved AP card while your AOS petition is pending without your petition being considered abandoned if you’re on a dual intent visa such as L1 or H1B.

The fact that only a USC is guaranteed admission or re-admission into the US is most likely the reason people are advising you against traveling especially during an AOS process.

Hi Mom,

I am planing to send our AOS packages today. I've some questions.
1. I've translations for birth certificates and marriage certificate I don't wanna send the originals translations I got from lawyer because I might need them if I got rejected for earlier filling so is it fine if I attach the copies of translation documents ?
2. What are the recommended USCIS website's early filling supporting pages we should print and attach ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Hi Mom,

1. I've translations for birth certificates and marriage certificate I don't wanna send the originals translations I got from lawyer because I might need them if I got rejected for earlier filling so is it fine if I attach the copies of translation documents ?
2. What are the recommended USCIS website's early filling supporting pages we should print and attach ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Hi Nizi Muk,

1. You should be sending copies of the translations, and then take the originals with you when you attend your interview.
2. I would recommend that you print out the DV section on the visa bulletin and highlight the section that shows you will be current. In addition to that you should include a copy of the Policy Memorandum: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related%20I-485%20Applications%20.pdf

Hi Mom,

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

1. USCIS’s guidance/requirement is for the original version of the translated document to be including while you keep the copy of the translation for your records.

2. You can include the early filing memo.

I think we had the same IO)))

Your F1 status shouldn’t be affected solely based on your filing of AOS. However, you may have a tough time getting a new F1 visa or any other NIV in the future on the basis of having declared an immigrant intent.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Do you think re-entering the US will be a problem? The next visa/authorization I will get is probably OPT or H1B so I am not so worried. I read through the timelines this year and past few years and the processing time in my city is around 2 months so I'm weighing my options and see if it's worth applying.

Hi Everyone,
I am a DV winner. I filed my case 6 months ago and still haven't received IL. I called USCIS and they told me that my file(principal) is in NBC, Missouri and my wife's file(Derivative) is in FO.

a. How can that be possible?
b. Is there any way to contact NBC?

The next visa/authorization I will get is probably OPT or H1B so I am not so worried. .

You're aware that even if you find a sponsor for H1B it's still a lottery to get picked with usually significantly less than 50% chance? I'd bank more on OPT for "probable".

Thanks a lot for the advice! Do you think re-entering the US will be a problem? The next visa/authorization I will get is probably OPT or H1B so I am not so worried. I read through the timelines this year and past few years and the processing time in my city is around 2 months so I'm weighing my options and see if it's worth applying.

Admission/re-admission to the US is only guaranteed to a USC. Is your planned trip really worth giving up this rather unique opportunity you have?