• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hi,

What does it mean?

"Evidence of Relationship
If derivative applicants are filing Form I-485 based on the principal applicant’s Selection Letter, you must provide evidence that the principal applicant included the derivative applicants in the entry when entering the DV lottery for the current fiscal year."

Our 1NL and 2NL from KCC contain only principal applicant name. So what document should contain names of derivative applicants?

Thank you!

Sorry Mom for asking the questions that already have been answered :((

Well I don’t mind you or anyone asking questions here, especially those that have already been answered. I just feel it is better to utilize the tools already put together for people to use and make the process less stressful for them. You will miss out on a great deal of useful tips if you’re not referring to them, that’s all.

Long post incoming. Important parts bolded at the bottom. Skip to them if you don’t want to read it all.

We have tracking numbers for our green cards and I think they should be in our mailbox tomorrow.

This whole process for me has been a big bag of luck. I got a job in the USA and then got my E3, which is a visa for Australian professionals, within the space of 2 months. Sitting with my computer at some time during October of 2017, just before I left, I had a bright idea to Google the green card lottery which I had heard about once or twice before, just to see if it was real.

It was, and entries were open! I threw one in for good luck and embarked on my journey to the USA, mostly forgetting about it.

I’m enjoying myself in Chicago and around rolls May when I knew the results came out. Declaring to my wife that “I don’t think we would have won but I better check it anyway,” I typed in our confirmation code and we’d been selected with a single digit case number. I had no idea of the significance of that, I just thought it was cool.

I feel a little weird about it to be honest. I can see OC people in the 2020 thread who have entered for the last 7 years in a row with no result, and here I am entering it immediately after confirming its existence, and being selected. I wish everyone in there the best of luck. You definitely deserve it more than me and I sincerely hope that your number comes up next year.

I have a friend that also got selected. Some time in May he said he was just going to make an appointment, go down to the field office and do an interview. We both had no clue. I had no reason not to believe him. Luckily I found the instructions on the DV lottery website and realised that it started in October, so that set us straight. This was after rushing to do our medicals (the second stroke of luck as they changed the medical rules after we were current) and pay the DV fee. I didn’t even know what adjustment of status was!

Knowing that I had time to relax and compose myself, I did more reading, researching and eventually found this forum, that was around the time I learned of immigrant intent. I started to freak out because we had an overseas trip planned. I had already submitted the DS-260. This turned out to be a non issue.

While all this was happening, we were being pressured to schedule a date for our “other wedding” in Vietnam for my wife’s family, as my family were going to come along as well. After looking at the timelines for October current Chicagans, all of them were approved well before March 30, so we set that date.

The next couple of months went by and I was still reading and learning, but had somehow missed anything about the 90 day rule. As a pilot, we are frequently assigned trips into Canada. I was bidding normally, but managed to avoid international trips by coincidence. In September I was assigned one, but I decided a few days out to swap it for one that didn’t go international in case it caused any issues. The fact that I could do that was unique to September only, for reasons that are too complicated to explain. Third lucky strike.

October rolls around and we submit our i-485 and advance parole application, learning more and more along the way and going through the usual motions.

Our interview was scheduled for Jan 30. “Perfect, We’ll have green cards by March, according to last year’s timelines” I naively thought to myself.

That date was one of the coldest ever recorded in Chicago and the whole city closed. We received a call the day before by a man (actually maybe an angel) who notified us of a date change to March, right before our wedding. I pleaded with him for anything earlier and he let us go in on the day he called us. We interviewed and got donuts on the way home to celebrate. Surely the green card will arrive in a few weeks.

Nothing for months. I started to make plans for abandonment and to move back to Australia.

At the beginning of March we got our letters advising of advance parole approval. This was such a relief. We would be able to travel and keep our application alive! Great. One week goes by, 2, then 3 and then we are maybe 10 days out from departure. We visit the congressman’s office (again) and the lady spent a good 30 minutes on the phone to the NBC for us. She was so great. She came out of her office and told us that our letters would arrive “next week.”

We got our advance parole 6 days before departure. Fourth time lucky. Suffice to say up until that moment was the most stress I have ever experienced.

Travelled, got married again, went home to Melbourne for a bit and then re entered to US on our advance parole with no issues, then we got a status update the next day.

Both of our statues now include a tracking number. My wife’s went Card production order - case approved - card mailed while mine went card production order - card mailed.

Mom asked us to sign up for egov and test the text messaging feature. I got messages for both card production orders and then for the case approved status for my wife. We didn’t get one for the “card mailed” status. The same was true for “my uscis” which sent emails only.

My lessons learned and advice for future and current selectees:
  • If you think you have read the spreadsheet, you haven’t. Read it again.
  • Seriously. The spreadsheet. You definitely missed something important. Go back and read it again.
  • See above.
  • If you have just found this forum. Stop everything you are doing, sign up for an account, contribute and be successful. What you think you know is probably incorrect.
  • Everyone’s timeline helps. It is not too much of an effort to give back to the community through the timeline spreadsheet, even if you never post, and it will help others for years to come.
  • Consider CP if you are making any travel plans for the fiscal year or your job requires you to travel internationally.
  • Read through previous years threads to learn more about the process.
  • The timelines are a fantastic resource but remember new data will always be coming in, and you could be that statistic. Do not make potentially life altering decisions based on the timelines.

To Simon, Suzie and Xarthisius, your continued efforts in making this place such an amazing resource are very much appreciated. Thank you so much for everything.

To Mom. I have never encountered anyone in real life or digitally, so selfless and willing to help. You are online every day and reply to us every day, often even when previously answered questions are asked again. You are undoubtedly offering millions of dollars worth of knowledge and time to everyone here for free and my wife and I are eternally grateful for your effort. I have found myself more recently taking more amounts of time to help out strangers with things I know about, and it’s absolutely your efforts here that have inspired me.

Irrespective of the green card result, you have substantially altered my outlook on life and my willingness to help others for the better. This whole thing could have collapsed around me at any moment, you can see it almost did multiple times, but I would have still would have come out of it a better person.

The amount of people you change the life of every year, including the lurkers and non posters, would be well in the hundreds, maybe thousands, and on behalf of us all, thank you so much.

Simon, Suzie, Xarthinisius or Mom, if you ever find yourself in Chicago, let me know, dinner is on me.

You’re a super duper lucky fella dude! Congratulations on a successful completion of this roller coaster ride. I’m happy for you.

And thank you for such a detailed and well written post. I’m quite touched by your tribute (?) :eek::D and further encouraged (in addition to being encouraged by what Simon is doing on his blog/this forum and Susie on another immigration forum/and this one) to keep doing what I’m doing here. Thank you again!

Wishing you and your lovely bride a joyous marriage and happy life here in the US. Enjoy your new status.

Hi,

What does it mean?

"Evidence of Relationship
If derivative applicants are filing Form I-485 based on the principal applicant’s Selection Letter, you must provide evidence that the principal applicant included the derivative applicants in the entry when entering the DV lottery for the current fiscal year."

Our 1NL and 2NL from KCC contain only principal applicant name. So what document should contain names of derivative applicants?

Thank you!

Ignore the requirement if you don’t have a copy of your initial eDV registration form which is the only place to find such evidence. That requirement was put in place by a clueless government employee when the I-485 was being updated.

Hi Mom and everyone,
I just had my interview 30 minutes ago.
What can I say? It was not easy. Officer seems to be strict. Asked me questions from i485 from A-Z.
The following questions being asked:
-my name, dob, all addresses i lived in the US
-ssn number
-parents names
-if i am married and why husband is not applying with me (asked for marriage certi)
-who provides me financially (gave him husbands updated employment letter and our tax transcript)
-about my previous visa refusal to the US and why
- when i entered green card lottery if i included my husband (replied yes)
-when my baby was born (asked for birth certificate)
- all yes/no questions from the form
- i work as a student staff at school ( asked what my duties are and how many hours per week)
-where i worked during OPT

He didnt even asked for original birth certi and high school diploma until i reminded myself.

At the end he printed me notice saying that the decision can not be made right now but he has all the docs. And decision will be made within 30days and i will get it by mail. And he said that he needs a file from KCC.

So not sure about this interview ecperience((

Well, actually my bad, just got notification from the bank that they're making it rain in the Chicago Lockbox.
Next updates on the timesheet; I'll be looking closely at Vadrouille and Tommasi80's updates given the similarities of timing and location, please keep it up-to-date ;).

Whatever happens next, not sure how I would have made it so far without this forum, Britsimon's blog and all this information, thanks for putting this together and keeping it up-to-date!
It became quickly apparent that even the lawyers of my own company could not provide better information than what you can find here.

Actually, our cases are similar also in small details:
I just noticed that you received, like me, your 2NL ages after you submitted your DS-260 (7 and 9 months) which I believe is rather uncommon.
I don't think I have ever been so eager to see a check cashed.

Wait and see.

Hi Mom and everyone,
I just had my interview 30 minutes ago.
What can I say? It was not easy. Officer seems to be strict. Asked me questions from i485 from A-Z.
The following questions being asked:
-my name, dob, all addresses i lived in the US
-ssn number
-parents names
-if i am married and why husband is not applying with me (asked for marriage certi)
-who provides me financially (gave him husbands updated employment letter and our tax transcript)
-about my previous visa refusal to the US and why
- when i entered green card lottery if i included my husband (replied yes)
-when my baby was born (asked for birth certificate)
- all yes/no questions from the form
- i work as a student staff at school ( asked what my duties are and how many hours per week)
-where i worked during OPT

He didnt even asked for original birth certi and high school diploma until i reminded myself.

At the end he printed me notice saying that the decision can not be made right now but he has all the docs. And decision will be made within 30days and i will get it by mail. And he said that he needs a file from KCC.

So not sure about this interview ecperience((

You’re one more step closer to the end of the process. Based on what you’ve written here, your IO doesn’t come across as ‘strict’ to me, it shows he was being thorough in covering everything he needed to do. But of course I wasn’t there in person with you so I admit my perception could be wrong. He was already aware of your husband’s situation before you showed up for your interview - he needed to make you haven’t violated your status either or done anything that could have made you ineligible for AOS.

Seems like your KCC file wasn’t requested prior to your interview. So until that file is received and reviewed, no decision will be made on your case. Call KCC to find out if your FO has sent in a request for the file. Outside of that, nothing else you can do for now.

You’re one more step closer to the end of the process. Based on what you’ve written here, your IO doesn’t come across as ‘strict’ to me, it shows he was being thorough in covering everything he needed to do. But of course I wasn’t there in person with you so I admit my perception could be wrong. He was already aware of your husband’s situation before you showed up for your interview - he needed to make you haven’t violated your status either or done anything that could have made you ineligible for AOS.

Seems like your KCC file wasn’t requested prior to your interview. So until that file is received and reviewed, no decision will be made on your case. Call KCC to find out if your FO has sent in a request for the file. Outside of that, nothing else you can do for now.
Thank you so much Mom, will call Kcc.

Mom, do you happen to know if officer is going to cross check info on ds260 and i485? The reason is that some dates on ds260 are not accurate and some other info like my previous job title. But on i485 I put all the info as accurate as possible))

Well I don’t mind you or anyone asking questions here, especially those that have already been answered. I just feel it is better to utilize the tools already put together for people to use and make the process less stressful for them. You will miss out on a great deal of useful tips if you’re not referring to them, that’s all.
Thank you for what you are doing here. It's the only source we could find this useful. I just did not notice the updated timeline for June 2019. Thank you for answering all the questions. You never skipped any of mine. :)

Hi, my number is AS12xxx and I chose AOS and got 2NL. I’m worried I might not get an interview and get approved before 9/30 since my number won’t be current until July or August. Would you suggest me change to CP or I can only wait and cross my fingers :(?

Thank you.

Mom, do you happen to know if officer is going to cross check info on ds260 and i485? The reason is that some dates on ds260 are not accurate and some other info like my previous job title. But on i485 I put all the info as accurate as possible))

They’re supposed to review the documents - I don’t know how detailed of a job they do. The most important thing is to have accurate and up to date info on the I-485 which do.

Hi, my number is AS12xxx and I chose AOS and got 2NL. I’m worried I might not get an interview and get approved before 9/30 since my number won’t be current until July or August. Would you suggest me change to CP or I can only wait and cross my fingers :(?

Thank you.

My only suggestion is for you to review the AOS process spreadsheet for the pros and cons of each process and make a decision on your own. I don’t know enough about your situation to help you decide on which option is right for you.

Hello Mom and everyone,
Today i got this Letter from uscis.
It’s says ‘’you submitted your I485. But we need more information from you make a decision on your case.
Question 1: it’s mean my i485 not approve properly?
And it’s says ‘’ you must provide the following information in order for us to make a final decision on your case’’
Question 2: which mean my all fingerprints and background checks is done. They need only this information.
Or they didn’t start the background check without this information.
Question 3: I have a lawyer. But I’m not sure did he fill the i508. Uscis wants i566 if we didn’t fill it. Am I should the fill?
And my visa type is A2.
Thank you so much Mom and everyone..

Attachments

• 3099E1DF-64A0-45FF-91F6-43C757640203.jpeg
    3099E1DF-64A0-45FF-91F6-43C757640203.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 54
Hello Mom and everyone,
Today i got this Letter from uscis.
It’s says ‘’you submitted your I485. But we need more information from you make a decision on your case.
Question 1: it’s mean my i485 not approve properly?
And it’s says ‘’ you must provide the following information in order for us to make a final decision on your case’’
Question 2: which mean my all fingerprints and background checks is done. They need only this information.
Or they didn’t start the background check without this information.
Question 3: I have a lawyer. But I’m not sure did he fill the i508. Uscis wants i566 if we didn’t fill it. Am I should the fill?
And my visa type is A2.
Thank you so much Mom and everyone..

Another classic case of deciding to use a lawyer which ends up causing unnecessary complications. I’m surprised your lawyer wasn’t aware you needed to have included both an I-508 and I-566 with your AOS petition since you’re on an A2 status.

1. It means your I-485 was not properly filed - it is far from being approved. You’re lucky you got sent an RFE for the missing document and didn’t get an outright denial because of this. The FOs have been instructed to start denying non-properly filed petitions because they clog up the system dandy serve as place holders.

2. It has nothing to do with the status of your background check, don’t read meanings into the request.

3. Of course you should respond to the request. Your failure to do so by the required date will lead to your AOS petition being denied.

Hi Mom and members,

Today morning I received email from KCC that my file has been requested by Uscis. They also attached the adjustment form which says that before file is transferred, the diversity fee of $330 should be paid. So i called KCC to make double check if it is a generic email because I paid my fee long ago. So yes, this email is generic the lady said. Also, she said that file has been requested but not faxed to local office yet.

Please see this form. Probably other members may get the same.

As you mentioned Mom, most important is to have correct info on i485. Good thing I indicated my husband there and child onds260 as well as you suggested long ago, thank you very much for that.

The only discrepancy that worried me is that on ds260 i indicated two work places from back home (company A and B), but on i485 only company A. Technically it was the same company but different branches. Really hope the officer wont make a concern out of it.

Attachments

• Adjustment of Status Mail Form.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 58
Hi Mom and all members,

My number is 2019AS01xxx, and my case is kind of weird right now.
I filed our cases (my spouse and I) early Dec last year.
At first, everything went well.
We finished our biometrics in early Jan 2019, and did our interview on March 4th at the Los Angeles field office.
The interview process went well, IO said our cases seem good to him.
BUT, the FBI haven't clear our background check. Therefore, he couldn't give the approval stamp at that time.
Before we left, he said our case should be resolved with 2-3 weeks since DV cases should be under expedited process.

After 3 weeks, I didn't anything back, and the E-status always showed "your fingerprint review was completed"
Since the self-reserved Infopass is not allowed online, we called the NBC for two times (one in late march, the other in mid April)
They always said our case is still under normal process time, and we should wait for that.
They also blocked our request to have a Infopass to the field office.
Since then, I haven't hear anything back.

Now the visa bulletin shows that the current number is 10000 for May 2019.
We are so worried about our cases now, I'm afraid that it stuck at the FBI name check.
Because our number is low, and both of us are still studying (and we are from different countries), so we chose AOS route rather than the CP.
However, under this situation, I don't know what I can do.
Every time I called, they always said my case is still pending and within normal process time, and denied our request for reserving the Infopass.
Should I contact congressman to open my case?
I'm so stressed now :(

Mom (or anyone), do you have any suggestions on under this situation?
I'll really appreciate any input from anyone.

Hi Mom and all members,

My number is 2019AS01xxx, and my case is kind of weird right now.
I filed our cases (my spouse and I) early Dec last year.
At first, everything went well.
We finished our biometrics in early Jan 2019, and did our interview on March 4th at the Los Angeles field office.
The interview process went well, IO said our cases seem good to him.
BUT, the FBI haven't clear our background check. Therefore, he couldn't give the approval stamp at that time.
Before we left, he said our case should be resolved with 2-3 weeks since DV cases should be under expedited process.

After 3 weeks, I didn't anything back, and the E-status always showed "your fingerprint review was completed"
Since the self-reserved Infopass is not allowed online, we called the NBC for two times (one in late march, the other in mid April)
They always said our case is still under normal process time, and we should wait for that.
They also blocked our request to have a Infopass to the field office.
Since then, I haven't hear anything back.

Now the visa bulletin shows that the current number is 10000 for May 2019.
We are so worried about our cases now, I'm afraid that it stuck at the FBI name check.
Because our number is low, and both of us are still studying (and we are from different countries), so we chose AOS route rather than the CP.
However, under this situation, I don't know what I can do.
Every time I called, they always said my case is still pending and within normal process time, and denied our request for reserving the Infopass.
Should I contact congressman to open my case?
I'm so stressed now :(

Mom (or anyone), do you have any suggestions on under this situation?
I'll really appreciate any input from anyone.

Which country are you chargeable to?