• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 Kenya Selectees

I have maintained my current address (where i live) as below in my submitted DS260;

XXX TOWN, XXX LANE OFF XXX ROAD

I remember reading through the blog that the address is supposed to be as specific as possible. My challenge is that we have built a house in an area that is not in a specific estate and there are presently no house numbers.

Will the details i have maintained in my DS260 above suffice?

NB: The other places i've lived in the past have estate names & house numbers and i've maintained them correctly in my DS260.

Hi Afrikana,
Have the same issue, what i did is just write down the plot number as indicated on the land title deed.
Don't know if this is similar to what you are asking though...

I have a friend who has different first names ( spelling) on Birth cert and his documents.

That is, he has his name on birth cert as Piter but on all other documents he is named as Peter. Am thinking this maybe a problem.
How can this be sorted? Please advise.

I have maintained my current address (where i live) as below in my submitted DS260;

XXX TOWN, XXX LANE OFF XXX ROAD

I remember reading through the blog that the address is supposed to be as specific as possible. My challenge is that we have built a house in an area that is not in a specific estate and there are presently no house numbers.

Will the details i have maintained in my DS260 above suffice?

NB: The other places i've lived in the past have estate names & house numbers and i've maintained them correctly in my DS260.

They should be fine. The name of the place if there aren't any more specifics to it. The embassy guys know Kenya doesn't have street addresses and they don't give you too much grief.

My Case No. is 2018AF42XXX

I have 3 queries below;

1. The current Kenyan passports are being phased out and replaced by e-passports. Im planning to apply for the e-passport.
I maintained my current passport details on my DS260. Does this mean that once i get the new e-passport, i will have to unlock my DS260 and update? Might this delay my interview?

2. For guys who have the e-passports, does one retain the old passport once you're issued with the new e-passport?

3. From my estimation, my wifes passport will be less than 6 months to expiry by the time we will be having the interview at the embassy. Is it true that a passport has to have at least 6 months validity by the time you go for the DV interview or are issued with a US visa?

Last edited:
My Case No. is 2018AF42XXX

I have 3 queries below;

1. The current Kenyan passports are being phased out and replaced by e-passports. Im planning to apply for the e-passport.
I maintained my current passport details on my DS260. Does this mean that once i get the new e-passport, i will have to unlock my DS260 and update? Might this delay my interview?

2. For guys who have the e-passports, does one retain the old passport once you're issued with the new e-passport?

3. From my estimation, my wifes passport will be less than 6 months to expiry by the time we will be having the interview at the embassy. Is it true that a passport has to have at least 6 months validity by the time you go for the DV interview or are issued with a US visa?

1. Yes and it shouldn’t delay
2. (Needs a Kenyan to answer)
3. Yes, she will need a new passport before the interview.

Hi,

My wife is a 2018 DV Lottery winner, but she entered the lottery using the photo from her 2017 entry. There is no noticeable difference between her current appearance and the one on the photo. However, we all know that the rules stated to not play with the 2017 photo, because you will be disqualified. Her entry was not disqualified before the selection and I am wondering whether there is any chance to pass the interview in such a case. If anyone has already attended an interview or has a pending interview, but has the same issue, we would be grateful if you share your experience. Thank you and good luck to everyone!

Hi,

My wife is a 2018 DV Lottery winner, but she entered the lottery using the photo from her 2017 entry. There is no noticeable difference between her current appearance and the one on the photo. However, we all know that the rules stated to not play with the 2017 photo, because you will be disqualified. Her entry was not disqualified before the selection and I am wondering whether there is any chance to pass the interview in such a case. If anyone has already attended an interview or has a pending interview, but has the same issue, we would be grateful if you share your experience. Thank you and good luck to everyone!

There have been interviews conducted since October under the new instruction about DV2017 photos. In fact, the requirement to use a new photo was ALWAYS there, but DV2018 instrcns made that a bit more clear and specific. However, up to now I have not heard of a single case refused for that reason - so whilst a refusal is possible for that reason, it does not appear to be a likely outcome.

Hi,

There have been interviews conducted since October under the new instruction about DV2017 photos. In fact, the requirement to use a new photo was ALWAYS there, but DV2018 instrcns made that a bit more clear and specific. However, up to now I have not heard of a single case refused for that reason - so whilst a refusal is possible for that reason, it does not appear to be a likely outcome.

Please keep us posted whatever the outcome is -
yes we haven't heard of any refusals based on this yet, but on the other hand we are only a couple of months into the first FY that they have specified they will disqualify on this basis. Entirely possible people with duplicate photos have been getting through and not reporting it - more likely to hear about any denials if they had happened. Whether they in practice do or not, it will be useful information for others.

I have a friend who has different first names ( spelling) on Birth cert and his documents.

That is, he has his name on birth cert as Piter but on all other documents he is named as Peter. Am thinking this maybe a problem.
How can this be sorted? Please advise.

Hi this shouldn't be an issue provided you get an affidavit to support that i.e Piter and Peter are one and the same person. I also had something similar i.e My passport showed John Edwards Doe while my Certificates just showed John Doe. I hope this helps

Hi this shouldn't be an issue provided you get an affidavit to support that i.e Piter and Peter are one and the same person. I also had something similar i.e My passport showed John Edwards Doe while my Certificates just showed John Doe. I hope this helps

Definitely does! Thank you @Jonge

@Pat Mwas , this am sure puts you at a little ease :) ... you have been pretty on edge over this...

I have a similar issue. My birth certificate appears as e.g. Franck David while all other documents appear as Franc David. I suppose this means that i will also need to get an affidavit. I thought indicating on the "Other Given name" section on the DS260 would suffice.

Last edited:
I have a similar issue.

My name/ Correct name: Franc David
EDV Entry: Franc David
Passport: Franc David
All education certificates: Franc David
Birth certificate: Franck David (note K at the end of first name)

Will i need to get an affidavit? I thought indicating on the "Other Given name" section on the DS260 would suffice.
@Sm1smom , @Britsimon Please advise.

I have a similar issue. My birth certificate appears as e.g. Franck David while all other documents appear as Franc David. I suppose this means that i will also need to get an affidavit. I thought indicating on the "Other Given name" section on the DS260 would suffice.

I don’t see a need to a sworn affidavit for this. Plus it’s a known fact the COs don’t really give much consideration to sworn affidavit regarding name variations especially from countries where they know people tend to use sworn affidavits as an elixir - a cure-all.

You should be fine as is.