• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

1) I can't go back to my original eDV registration from 2016, I am 95% sure that I included my wife there, anyway I filed DS-250 for both of us and it was reviewed and completed by KCC and I received the 2NL which thanks me for letting them know about my AOS intentions with the USCIS, and again only with my name on it.
Is it should be enough for my wife to apply for AOS?

There's one of two outcomes:
(1) You followed the eDV instructions and included your wife, and you're fine and you can both AOS together
(2) You didn't follow the instructions, left her out, and will be disqualified.
Given that you were married before your eDV entry, there is actually no scenario in which you filled the form in such a way that you can AOS but your wife can't.

Day before yesterday, I got my CPO email and text/email stating my card is on the way. I am the derivative applicant and my husband's ( primary) CPO is yet to produced. I am happily waiting for that notification , but I think I can finally fully relax and enjoy.

I cant thank enough to this forum for the tremendous help I received through out my process. I was a student on F1 visa when my husband who was also on F1 visa when we got selected last year. My husband was busy with his graduation and didn't have time to pay attention. It was always me, who do paper work for us and husband fully trust me or he doesn't have an option. Luckily I found this forum. Though the winning email says us to file DS 260, I didn't want to. I got to know through this forum, the date we file DS 260 doesn't matter much if we do AOS. We waited till my husband's OPT got accepted, then his university file for H1-B. It was a time, lot of things happening, lot of confusion and I was dealing with my pregnancy. I changed my status to H4 meanwhile. Then we file DS 260.

My husband's university was very concerned because some of their workers had visa issues due to mishandling.So they dont want to loose him, they want to intervene to HELP. That's where they want us to meet their lawyer, a very knowledgeable and nice person( he is the one who did our H1/H4 visa through the university). But because at that time, I was aware of the procedure through this forum, I quickly realized he is not aware of DV based AOS. He didn't know DV cases should be processed before the fiscal year. He told me, the process can take even 2 years. We came home, and that was a decision I took to process our cases alone , I was confident thanks to this forum. I think even if you want to hire a lawyer due to some reason, please be aware of each step. Because lot of knowledgeable great lawyers, even experts in AOS, are not much aware of DV cases, so their approach can crate problems for your case. So please read every step, use materials here and be aware of the next step.

We became current in May. So I wanted to post the package in March, taking the full advantage of 60 days( advance notification). Eventhough I fully prepared our package in advance( around February), I just needed to sit down and went through the package with my husband one time. We couldn't do it till mid April because we had our baby in March.:D So we only had 20 day advance period when we file our case.

Finally I can't thank MOM enough. Even If I read everything here, still the process can be very stressful at times. There were times, she helped me to file my i-485. Then there were times, I know what to do, still needs a confirmation, so I come here and asked her. Then there were times, I know everything is going smoothly, still want to know things more, So I came here and asked her. She replied each and every time. So as Sussie who helped me to realize the mistake I did when submitting DS 260( Omit Zeroes in our case number). We wish you lot of happiness and good health. The help you do for us is amazing. Thank you very much.

If I ever have a problem again with the delivery of our cards, I will bother you guys again.;)
Congrats :)

Hi MOM,

My case was current in May and I did my bio on 30th May. On June 25, I got case notification
We reviewed your biometrics and are still processing your case
Here is my situation:
I live in TX, In form I-485 I put my physical address in Tx but my mailing address in SLC but I got my bio notice in SLC ASC which I did on 30th May. Now my questions are:
1) The above message means my name check/background check is done?
2) My FO/IO is going to be in SLC or in TX? I mean they will send me IL to have an interview in SLC or in TX? (Since I did my fingerprint in SLC )

I called KCC to check if USCIS has requested my case but they said NO and suggested me to call USCIS. So
3) if I call USCIS and ask to talk with level II officer and talk about the case, would that hurt my case(eg make it delay)?

Thank you !!

Hi MOM,

My case was current in May and I did my bio on 30th May. On June 25, I got case notification
We reviewed your biometrics and are still processing your case
Here is my situation:
I live in TX, In form I-485 I put my physical address in Tx but my mailing address in SLC but I got my bio notice in SLC ASC which I did on 30th May. Now my questions are:
1) The above message means my name check/background check is done?
2) My FO/IO is going to be in SLC or in TX? I mean they will send me IL to have an interview in SLC or in TX? (Since I did my fingerprint in SLC )

I called KCC to check if USCIS has requested my case but they said NO and suggested me to call USCIS. So
3) if I call USCIS and ask to talk with level II officer and talk about the case, would that hurt my case(eg make it delay)?

Thank you !!

Help me better understand your case, if you physically live in Texas, how come your mailing address is in SLC Utah?

1. No it doesn’t necessarily mean that.
2. I don’t know. What you did is highly unusual and I hope it doesn’t end up causing you unnecessary delays as they try to figure out which FO in the two different states should have jurisdiction over your case.
3. No it will not hurt the case.

Help me better understand your case, if you physically live in Texas, how come your mailing address is in SLC Utah?

1. No it doesn’t necessarily mean that.
2. I don’t know. What you did is highly unusual and I hope it doesn’t end up causing you unnecessary delays as they try to figure out which FO in the two different states should have jurisdiction over your case.
3. No it will not hurt the case.

Mom,
Thank you for your response.
In form I-485, US mailing address section I put my mailing address of SLC that's the reason my mail came to my SLC address but I wonder how come my ASC is assigned to SLC whereas I put my current physical address in TX and I believe my FO and ASC should be assigned as per my current physical address. Anyway, I flew to SLC to have my biometrics done. Now I am thinking my FO is assigned to SLC not to TX because they assigned my ASC in SLC,
1) Do you think so?
2) How do I figure out which FO I will be assigned to so that there will not be any unnecessary delays?
3) Do you think USCIS level II officer would give me the idea where my case is at?

Note: I haven't changed my address through USPS officially because I do not wish to change my mailing address anywhere else except to my current SLC address and I am believing this could be the reason they assigned my ASC to SLC itself.

Thank you !!

Hi Mom. I am currently awaiting my IL. My case was current in May, I completed my biometrics on April 26. I am not from a country impacted by any travel bans. My FO is Houston. I have looked through the spreadsheet and for the most part it looks as though based on that FO I should have received an IL by now. I attended an Infopass last week, however the officer would not give me any information other than to say your case is listed as pending. I asked if my background check had cleared and the response I received was I don't even know how I am meant to answer that. The officer did say they are aware of DV cases and they try to clear them before September 30, other than that they would not answer any other questions with any response other than your case is listed as pending. I have checked with KCC and my file was transferred over in early May.

Do you think that I should attempt another infopass to see if I can get a different officer, or with the time passed do you think it is acceptable to follow up with a congressional inquiry?

Thanks in advance

Hi Mom. I have my second IL for 15th August. I called KCC to ask if the FO has already requested for my file. They said NO. Is it usual that FO request close to interview date or it means that my FBI name check is still pending? In last infopass the officer reassured me that it is time to go and it is over but as I mentioned she did not even check her computer and just told me if I am already scheduled, it means my background check is done . Do you think I should go another infopass or just trust her and wait???

Hi Mom,

Our case was accepted by the Chicago Lockbox and we are now waiting for the biometrics appointment notice from the NBC. On the spreadsheet I found that their (NBC) job is also to check for required evidence. Since we did not send our I-693 with our AoS package:

1) Can the NBC also send an RFE (i.e. in regards to I-693)?
2) It also states that they conduct "security checks". Is this the background check?
3) From looking at the timeline spreadsheet, the average time from NoA to Biometrics invitation is roughly 7-10 days. After how many days should some action be taken (if invitation letter is not received) and what action can be taken?

Thanks!

Mom,
Thank you for your response.
In form I-485, US mailing address section I put my mailing address of SLC that's the reason my mail came to my SLC address but I wonder how come my ASC is assigned to SLC whereas I put my current physical address in TX and I believe my FO and ASC should be assigned as per my current physical address. Anyway, I flew to SLC to have my biometrics done. Now I am thinking my FO is assigned to SLC not to TX because they assigned my ASC in SLC,
1) Do you think so?
2) How do I figure out which FO I will be assigned to so that there will not be any unnecessary delays?
3) Do you think USCIS level II officer would give me the idea where my case is at?

Note: I haven't changed my address through USPS officially because I do not wish to change my mailing address anywhere else except to my current SLC address and I am believing this could be the reason they assigned my ASC to SLC itself.

Thank you !!

Answer the specific question I asked you in my previous response if you wish to get further guidance/response from me.

Hi Mom. I am currently awaiting my IL. My case was current in May, I completed my biometrics on April 26. I am not from a country impacted by any travel bans. My FO is Houston. I have looked through the spreadsheet and for the most part it looks as though based on that FO I should have received an IL by now. I attended an Infopass last week, however the officer would not give me any information other than to say your case is listed as pending. I asked if my background check had cleared and the response I received was I don't even know how I am meant to answer that. The officer did say they are aware of DV cases and they try to clear them before September 30, other than that they would not answer any other questions with any response other than your case is listed as pending. I have checked with KCC and my file was transferred over in early May.

Do you think that I should attempt another infopass to see if I can get a different officer, or with the time passed do you think it is acceptable to follow up with a congressional inquiry?

Thanks in advance

First try your congress person - request for them to do a follow up on your behalf before going on another INFOPASS appointment. You can book the appointment in advance though.

Hi Mom. I have my second IL for 15th August. I called KCC to ask if the FO has already requested for my file. They said NO. Is it usual that FO request close to interview date or it means that my FBI name check is still pending? In last infopass the officer reassured me that it is time to go and it is over but as I mentioned she did not even check her computer and just told me if I am already scheduled, it means my background check is done . Do you think I should go another infopass or just trust her and wait???

Nothing usual in your FO not requesting your KCC before your interview. The IO assigned to your case is the one responsible for requesting the KCC file which can be done after the interview, when it gets requested has nothing to do with a pending or cleared background check.

An INFOPASS for the purpose of following up on the KCC file is a complete waste of time, you can’t compel them to request for the file. You already have your IL, which is a major hurdle victory in your case. My suggestion is to focus on preparing for the interview. You can contact KCC again a day before or the morning of your interview to find out the status of the case file - that will give you an idea of questions to ask your IO at the end of your interview.

Hi Mom,

Our case was accepted by the Chicago Lockbox and we are now waiting for the biometrics appointment notice from the NBC. On the spreadsheet I found that their (NBC) job is also to check for required evidence. Since we did not send our I-693 with our AoS package:

1) Can the NBC also send an RFE (i.e. in regards to I-693)?
2) It also states that they conduct "security checks". Is this the background check?
3) From looking at the timeline spreadsheet, the average time from NoA to Biometrics invitation is roughly 7-10 days. After how many days should some action be taken (if invitation letter is not received) and what action can be taken?

Thanks!

1. Didn’t we already go over when a RFE gets sent???
2. Yes.
3. Three to four weeks. Call the 1800 number for USCIS.

1. Didn’t we already go over when a RFE gets sent???
2. Yes.
3. Three to four weeks. Call the 1800 number for USCIS.

Mom,

Yes, you already kindly explained it to me. I just wanted to make sure whether or not the NBC can also send an RFE (as we did not talk about it in the past). I re-read the past post and I understand that the FO only can send an RFE and that there should not be any reason why the NBC wouldn't send the biometrics invitation.

Thanks again :)!

Answer the specific question I asked you in my previous response if you wish to get further guidance/response from me.

Hi MOM,
I apologize if I could not answer your question but as I said my mailing address is from UTAH even though my physical address is in TX. Recently I got my OPT EAD in UTAH address too which is fine for me just to get the mail. I have my sister live there who will further forward me any mail come for me or let me know. I hope I answered your question about how come my mailing address is different than the physical address. Please suggest me on this.

Thank you again!

Hi MOM,
I apologize if I could not answer your question but as I said my mailing address is from UTAH even though my physical address is in TX. Recently I got my OPT EAD in UTAH address too which is fine for me just to get the mail. I have my sister live there who will further forward me any mail come for me or let me know. I hope I answered your question about how come my mailing address is different than the physical address. Please suggest me on this.

Thank you again!

No, you did not answer the question I asked. The question is very simple, if you’re living in TX, what is the reason for listing a UTAH mailing address? The question I asked has nothing to do with receiving OPT EAD card in UTAH.

No, you did not answer the question I asked. The question is very simple, if you’re living in TX, what is the reason for listing a UTAH mailing address? The question I asked has nothing to do with receiving OPT EAD card in UTAH.
Mom,
My apology again, the address where I live had to change soon which I did recently(same apartment but different building). So I thought if I put my mailing address to UT address I won't miss my mail.

Thank you !!

Mom,
My apology again, the address where I live had to change soon which I did recently(same apartment but different building). So I thought if I put my mailing address to UT address I won't miss my mail.

Thank you !!

You shouldn’t have done that. The mailing address option is really intended for people who use like a P.O.Box to receive mail because mail cannot be delivered to their physical address.

Using it like you did clearly creates some confusion for USCIS, it didn’t make sense for them to mail out the bio notice to SLC with an appointment scheduled in TX. The expectation is that your mailing address will be within the same state as your physical address.

Nothing usual in your FO not requesting your KCC before your interview. The IO assigned to your case is the one responsible for requesting the KCC file which can be done after the interview, when it gets requested has nothing to do with a pending or cleared background check.

An INFOPASS for the purpose of following up on the KCC file is a complete waste of time, you can’t compel them to request for the file. You already have your IL, which is a major hurdle victory in your case. My suggestion is to focus on preparing for the interview. You can contact KCC again a day before or the morning of your interview to find out the status of the case file - that will give you an idea of questions to ask your IO at the end of your interview.
Thank you Mom. I think I am a bit confused that if the FO does not have the file in the interview date, how they can make sure I have sent the document like medical form. Do they have a list of my package?

Hi Mom,
I received my Green card yesterday. So far we we don't have any update for husband's CPO( He is the primary). So far we received all acceptance/bio/interview/approval letters together on the same date. They had issued two consecutive case numbers for us with the acceptance at the beginning.

1)Is this scenario normal ?
2) how long we have to wait & Is there any place other than USCIS we need to call?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Hi Mom,
I received my Green card yesterday. So far we we don't have any update for husband's CPO( He is the primary). So far we received all acceptance/bio/interview/approval letters together on the same date. They had issued two consecutive case numbers for us with the acceptance at the beginning.

1)Is this scenario normal ?
2) how long we have to wait & Is there any place other than USCIS we need to call?

Thank you for your help.

1. The normal scenario is for the main petitioner to be approved before the derivative gets approved, derivative should not be approved if main petitioner is still pending. However, I’ve seen a few outliers such as yours in the past - derivative being approved while main petitioner is pending (main petitioner eventually got approved though). Did he also receive an approval notice, or was it just you?

2. Go on an INFOPASS if nothing shows up in about 2 to 3 weeks.