• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi MOM,

I just came from the USCIS office, we have the infopass today. The guy told me that our preliminary background check has been completed.
It is confusing for me that he said, our field office had already been requested our file to NBC a months before. And he said that our case is right now in Virginia and he added that its a good progress that it is almost nearby our field office.
Note that our field office is Baltimore, MD, and Virginia is the nearby state of Baltimore field office.

My question is that:

1)While transferring the file from NBC to the associated field office these types of transition to other different location FO is normal or not? I got confused that why our case file is in Virginia?

2) As the guy told us that our case file right now is in Virginia, does it mean that our case is on the way to our field office from NBC?

3) Can we understand that we are close for getting the interview letter unless FO doesn't need further documents?

Thank You for your time MOM

Hi MOM,

I just came from the USCIS office, we have the infopass today. The guy told me that our preliminary background check has been completed.
It is confusing for me that he said, our field office had already been requested our file to NBC a months before. And he said that our case is right now in Virginia and he added that its a good progress that it is almost nearby our field office.
Note that our field office is Baltimore, MD, and Virginia is the nearby state of Baltimore field office.

My question is that:

1)While transferring the file from NBC to the associated field office these types of transition to other different location FO is normal or not? I got confused that why our case file is in Virginia?

2) As the guy told us that our case file right now is in Virginia, does it mean that our case is on the way to our field office from NBC?

3) Can we understand that we are close for getting the interview letter unless FO doesn't need further documents?

Thank You for your time MOM

1. Not unusual for cases to be moved from the original FO to another FO if the original FO has a rather high volume of cases.

2. It probably means it’s on its way to the FO assigned to handle the case.

3. Possibly.

Reactions: Wra
Hey U all,

Hope U will be able to help...

Me and my wife are currently residing here in the United States under F-1 and F-2 visas for the past 2 years.
Last year I was randomly selected for further processing for the DV Lottery of the fiscal year of 2018 with a high CN for Asia.

Me and my wife both filed an DS-260 forms for the KCC. After doing some research we found that because that we are currently here in the U.S under student visas we need to apply for Adjustment Of Status using form I-485 with the USCIS.

We waited for our CN to be available, it finally happened only on Last month on July visa bulletin under section "C" of advance notification and our region is now "current".

I have a few issues with my case:

First, On the formal letter from KCC, on the USCiS website and policy memorandum which was published by them it written very clearly that no visas should be issued after the end of the fiscal year of 2018, which is September 30th.

Second, On the formal informing letter which I received from the KCC only my name is written and I don't know if I can apply for AOS also for my wife. We were married already at time when I applied for the DV lottery and filed the DS-260 for both of us.

I would like to know from your experience:
1) what are our chances to finish the process of the AOS on time before September 30th? Do U recommend using an attorney?

2) can I file AOS also for my wife, although her name was not mentioned in the KCC letter?

Hope U will be able to help me,
Thanks!

Hey U all,

Hope U will be able to help...

Me and my wife are currently residing here in the United States under F-1 and F-2 visas for the past 2 years.
Last year I was randomly selected for further processing for the DV Lottery of the fiscal year of 2018 with a high CN for Asia.

Me and my wife both filed an DS-260 forms for the KCC. After doing some research we found that because that we are currently here in the U.S under student visas we need to apply for Adjustment Of Status using form I-485 with the USCIS.

We waited for our CN to be available, it finally happened only on Last month on July visa bulletin under section "C" of advance notification and our region is now "current".

I have a few issues with my case:

First, On the formal letter from KCC, on the USCiS website and policy memorandum which was published by them it written very clearly that no visas should be issued after the end of the fiscal year of 2018, which is September 30th.

Second, On the formal informing letter which I received from the KCC only my name is written and I don't know if I can apply for AOS also for my wife. We were married already at time when I applied for the DV lottery and filed the DS-260 for both of us.

I would like to know from your experience:
1) what are our chances to finish the process of the AOS on time before September 30th? Do U recommend using an attorney?

2) can I file AOS also for my wife, although her name was not mentioned in the KCC letter?

Hope U will be able to help me,
Thanks!

1. I don’t predict chances, however I know it is possible for a CN that becomes current in September to complete a DV based AOS petition on or before Sept. 30th. You can hire a lawyer if you want, but I can tell you upfront using a lawyer will not fast track the process, nor does it guarantee a timely complete or an approval as a matter of fact. 95% of DV based AOSers have successfully completed the process without using an immigration attorney. Successfully completing the process largely depends on hard you’re willing to work on your case processing.

2. Yes. Derivatives are not listed on the 1NL, that is normal - as long as they were listed on the original eDV registration, or acquired after eDV registration completion.

Thank U very much for the fast response!

I am sure U can't predict the chances ;) ...
It is good to know that it is possible to do so on such a short period! Does USCIS provides any priority for DV cases like ours? I mean do they aware of the fact the visa must be approved by the end of the fiscal year?
Now regarding the second question, what does it means eDV registration? DS-260 is considered as eDV registraion?

Thanks!

It is good to know that it is possible to do so on such a short period! Does USCIS provides any priority for DV cases like ours? I mean do they aware of the fact the visa must be approved by the end of the fiscal year?
Now regarding the second question, what does it means eDV registration? DS-260 is considered as eDV registraion?

Thanks!

1. USCIS prioritizing DV based AOS petition is precisely why it has been possible to complete the process by the end of the applicable FY :rolleyes: - start reading the AOS process spreadsheet to get familiar with the steps entailed.

2. eDV registration is the lottery form you filled out back in 2016.

p.s. number your questions if you have more than one in a post.

Hi mom!!
We (ma and my wife) are going through the AOS process. Our daughter was born 2 weeks ago. And I have 2 questions for you.
1. Our daughter wasn't included in I-485, since she wasn't born then. What steps we should take to include her in our case?
2. Our Biometrics appointment is scheduled for tomorrow (July 06th). Is it OK if we take our 2 week old daughter with us. I'm wondering about this because the letter says "Only persons who are necessary to assist with transportation or completing the biometrics appointment should accompany you"

Hi mom!!
We (ma and my wife) are going through the AOS process. Our daughter was born 2 weeks ago. And I have 2 questions for you.
1. Our daughter wasn't included in I-485, since she wasn't born then. What steps we should take to include her in our case?
2. Our Biometrics appointment is scheduled for tomorrow (July 06th). Is it OK if we take our 2 week old daughter with us. I'm wondering about this because the letter says "Only persons who are necessary to assist with transportation or completing the biometrics appointment should accompany you"

1. If you are going through AOS then your daughter was born in the US, correct? So she’s a citizen and doesn’t need to be included in your case.

1) I can't go back to my original eDV registration from 2016, I am 95% sure that I included my wife there, anyway I filed DS-250 for both of us and it was reviewed and completed by KCC and I received the 2NL which thanks me for letting them know about my AOS intentions with the USCIS, and again only with my name on it.
Is it should be enough for my wife to apply for AOS?

Thanks!

Hey, I am not an expert, only a member here who got help from this forum to process my case. From my point of view, you can even file now if you are willing to take a risk rather than waiting till August. Majority of people here filed early using advance notification policy and completed the journey successfully. But there were 2-3 cases where members got rejected due to early filing and they had to file again. So it's a decision you have to take. If you want to wait till August to file to avoid the risk, you can post your package July 31 st on overnight delivery to reach there on 1st of August. Each day is very important here, because some local offices have delays due to work overload and not knowing about the situation of DV cases.

This forum sources( spread sheet) is everything you want. Read them carefully spending good 1-2 days. Good Luck. :)

Hi mom!!

1. Nothing at this time. You’ll just need to take her birth certificate along to your interview, a copy will be kept in your immigration file.

2. Yes you can take her.

p.s. congratulations on the new addition to the family.

1) I can't go back to my original eDV registration from 2016, I am 95% sure that I included my wife there, anyway I filed DS-250 for both of us and it was reviewed and completed by KCC and I received the 2NL which thanks me for letting them know about my AOS intentions with the USCIS, and again only with my name on it.
Is it should be enough for my wife to apply for AOS?

Yes I know the eDV registration form is no longer available for review upon submission and I wasn’t asking you to do that. I was merely pointing out the fact that there is no problem as long as an existing derivative was listed on the original form. Of course you should already know if you included her, without having to actually see the submitted form now.

And I already answered the question about your wife! Please pay attention to the information you’re being provided with.

1. I don’t predict chances, however I know it is possible for a CN that becomes current in September to complete a DV based AOS petition on or before Sept. 30th. You can hire a lawyer if you want, but I can tell you upfront using a lawyer will not fast track the process, nor does it guarantee a timely complete or an approval as a matter of fact. 95% of DV based AOSers have successfully completed the process without using an immigration attorney. Successfully completing the process largely depends on hard you’re willing to work on your case processing.

2. Yes. Derivatives are not listed on the 1NL, that is normal - as long as they were listed on the original eDV registration, or acquired after eDV registration completion.

Hi Mom, looking at this I'm wondering about my case. I wasn't married at the time of the original eDV registration so my husband wasn't included, I was married after I submitted the DS260. I asked KCC to open my case and I amended it after I got married to show that he was applying as my derivative.

1. Is this an issue, I didn't think so from what we've discussed in the past?

2. How long do you recommend I should wait to receive my biometrics letter before I should start chasing? I'm conscious of time.

Thank you.

Day before yesterday, I got my CPO email and text/email stating my card is on the way. I am the derivative applicant and my husband's ( primary) CPO is yet to produced. I am happily waiting for that notification , but I think I can finally fully relax and enjoy.

I cant thank enough to this forum for the tremendous help I received through out my process. I was a student on F1 visa when my husband who was also on F1 visa when we got selected last year. My husband was busy with his graduation and didn't have time to pay attention. It was always me, who do paper work for us and husband fully trust me or he doesn't have an option. Luckily I found this forum. Though the winning email says us to file DS 260, I didn't want to. I got to know through this forum, the date we file DS 260 doesn't matter much if we do AOS. We waited till my husband's OPT got accepted, then his university file for H1-B. It was a time, lot of things happening, lot of confusion and I was dealing with my pregnancy. I changed my status to H4 meanwhile. Then we file DS 260.

My husband's university was very concerned because some of their workers had visa issues due to mishandling.So they dont want to loose him, they want to intervene to HELP. That's where they want us to meet their lawyer, a very knowledgeable and nice person( he is the one who did our H1/H4 visa through the university). But because at that time, I was aware of the procedure through this forum, I quickly realized he is not aware of DV based AOS. He didn't know DV cases should be processed before the fiscal year. He told me, the process can take even 2 years. We came home, and that was a decision I took to process our cases alone , I was confident thanks to this forum. I think even if you want to hire a lawyer due to some reason, please be aware of each step. Because lot of knowledgeable great lawyers, even experts in AOS, are not much aware of DV cases, so their approach can crate problems for your case. So please read every step, use materials here and be aware of the next step.

We became current in May. So I wanted to post the package in March, taking the full advantage of 60 days( advance notification). Eventhough I fully prepared our package in advance( around February), I just needed to sit down and went through the package with my husband one time. We couldn't do it till mid April because we had our baby in March.:D So we only had 20 day advance period when we file our case.

Finally I can't thank MOM enough. Even If I read everything here, still the process can be very stressful at times. There were times, she helped me to file my i-485. Then there were times, I know what to do, still needs a confirmation, so I come here and asked her. Then there were times, I know everything is going smoothly, still want to know things more, So I came here and asked her. She replied each and every time. So as Sussie who helped me to realize the mistake I did when submitting DS 260( Omit Zeroes in our case number). We wish you lot of happiness and good health. The help you do for us is amazing. Thank you very much.

If I ever have a problem again with the delivery of our cards, I will bother you guys again.;)

Last edited:
Hi Mom, looking at this I'm wondering about my case. I wasn't married at the time of the original eDV registration so my husband wasn't included, I was married after I submitted the DS260. I asked KCC to open my case and I amended it after I got married to show that he was applying as my derivative.

1. Is this an issue, I didn't think so from what we've discussed in the past?

2. How long do you recommend I should wait to receive my biometrics letter before I should start chasing? I'm conscious of time.

Thank you.

1. Shouldn’t be an issue. However be prepared to demonstrate the genuineness of your marriage when you go for your interview.

2. Please see the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of the average time for getting the bio notice.

1. Shouldn’t be an issue. However be prepared to demonstrate the genuineness of your marriage when you go for your interview.

2. Please see the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of the average time for getting the bio notice.

Great, thanks Mom. Will do on both!