• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hello Mom,

I am preparing for the interview by going through I-485 these days. I realized a mistake I have done regarding my height. I was always thought I am 5' 2''. With recent hospital visits I fund out I am 5' 1'' and filled that as my height when I did my bio metrics( In the form they gave me to fill there ).
I totally forgot I filled height in Form I-485 and filled it as 5' 2''.

How can I correct this? Should I tell this to the officer at the beginning of my interview?

Hello Sm1smom,

I did submit a request to the Ombudsman. 1- I wanted to know if I can also simultaneously submit a request to a congressman? 2- And what else can I also do?
Thank you

Your congress person can only get a status update, they can’t request USCIS to adjudicate a pending case so contacting them is pointless IMO.

Plus trying to put pressure on your FO from different sources at the same time is a bad idea. These resources are meant to be used one after the other. Contacting the Congress man/woman is a step below that of reaching out to the ombudsman’s office. So my recommendation is to WAIT for the ombudsman’s office to get back to you.

Hi @Sm1smom + @Britsimon

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. Keen to get your thoughts on my family's AOS situation:

I am OC (2018) #14XX, husband and I are already living in the US on an E3 visa (non-immigrant visa). My CN is in the very low 1400s so it looks like I'll scrape through in the final visa bulletin. The August OC cap is 1400.

1 - Have you heard of any AOS cases in NYC that can get processed in a month by constantly asking field officers to expedite the case?
2 - I will have to leave the US to see my terminally ill father in Aus before Sep 30. Is there any way to speak to a field officer before submitting a Ds260 to that I can get an AP to re-enter the US? I already have a letter from my father's surgeon stating the urgency of his health condition.
3- Have you heard of any AOS applicants who have successfully expedited an AOS case with the help of a local congressman/woman's office? My main reason to expedite an AOS is I will need to do solo trips back and forth to Aus and a green card would allow me greater flexibility vs having to renew an E3 next year and taking my husband + son out of the country for 1-2 weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1. Yes I know of AOS cases that became current in September and got approved by COB Sept. 30th.

2. I’m sorry to learn of your father’s health. You can’t get an AP card simply by submitting the DS260 form. You’ll need to actually file for AOS, as in submit an I-485 in order to be eligible to apply for an AP card. Yes, it is possible to get an expedited AP card under compelling situations - your dad’s health could qualify as one.
EDIT: There are cons to using an AOS based EAD or AP card by the way. Be sure you’re familiar with them before using either of those cards should you get one.

3. The Congress man/woman’s office can not compel USCIS to expedite your case because you need to do solos trips back and forth. A DV based AOS petition is already an expedited petition compared to a family or employment based AOS petition which takes much more longer since there’s no FY sunset factor to contend with. USCIS will determine on its own if you qualify for a GC or not regardless of your desire to not travel back and forth to renew your E3 visa.

Anyway, you still have to wait for the final VB to see if your CN will indeed become current.

Last edited:
We are from Sri Lanka. She is on F2 visa and coming back on F2. She went to Sri Lanka two weeks ago and will have to delay coming back couple of weeks due to a family emergency.

You need to be straightforward with me if you really want my help: your wife until a short while ago was actually on OPT, she went back home following the completion of her OPT to get F2 visa stamp as your derivative, correct?

Can the IRS transcripts just be printed online?

Yes, You can do that using IRS website. I just did that and took transcripts for 5 last years. It takes only minutes if you go for online version. If you go for 'mail 'option it will take around 10 business days.

Hello Mom,

I am preparing for the interview by going through I-485 these days. I realized a mistake I have done regarding my height. I was always thought I am 5' 2''. With recent hospital visits I fund out I am 5' 1'' and filled that as my height when I did my bio metrics( In the form they gave me to fill there ).
I totally forgot I filled height in Form I-485 and filled it as 5' 2''.

How can I correct this? Should I tell this to the officer at the beginning of my interview?

Not important. Don’t stress over this. I’ve sometimes reported my height as 5’ 7”, and other times as 5’ 6” - no big deal :)

You are totally right. But all people are not aware of this process and that is what happened to me. Any ways, it has happened and blaming myself is pointless.
I am gonna do the best action that I can in this situation. First, I will go an infopass next Monday, I will ask them if they can request FBI name expedition, Second I will contact with Ombudsman. I will ask the FO if there is a possibility to make the interview before my medical get expired.
Please give me your recommendations guys, I really need them now.
Thank you

You already have a good plan in place. Nothing else to recommend.

You need to be straightforward with me if you really want my help: your wife until a short while ago was actually on OPT, she went back home following the completion of her OPT to get F2 visa stamp as your derivative, correct?
Hi mom!
That's is correct and she has changed the status to F2 now.

Hi mom!
That's is correct and she has changed the status to F2 now.

Okay, that is a BIG mistake you guys just made. You asked about this on April 23rd and I gave you a very clear and detailed response:

Your wife doesn’t need to have a valid visa on hand before she can apply for AOS ...

2. Geting a F2 visa from the embassy and traveling back to the US with the mind of processing AOS is not allowed. This could be deemed as a fraudulent intent because if she told the CO that will issue the F2 visa or the IO she meets at the POE she’s planning on processing AOS once she gets in, the visa will not be issued/she will not be admitted back into the US. Having a concealed immigrant intent while entering the country on a NIV is considered fraudulent.

You can’t go apply for a NIV, use it to enter the US and file for AOS. What your wife did is considered fraudulent! - obtaining a NIV while harboring a preconceived immigrant intent which is clearly not allowed. The embassy wouldn’t have issued her with the NIV if she revealed to them she was planning on filing AOS as soon as she entered the US.

I don’t have the time to guide people who ask questions and end up doing things their own way regardless of the information they’ve been provided with. But I will do you the favor of telling you to proceed alone while your wife remains back at home. You may try FTJ, and if that doesn’t work, be prepared for her to stay back about 2 years while you sponsor her. The F2 visa is useless once you become a LPR, she can’t stay in the US on that status if you no longer have it.

Okay, that is a BIG mistake you guys just made. You asked about this on April 23rd and I gave you a very clear and detailed response:

You can’t go apply for a NIV, use it to enter the US and file for AOS. What your wife did is considered fraudulent! - obtaining a NIV while harboring a preconceived immigrant intent which is clearly not allowed. The embassy wouldn’t have issued her with the NIV if she revealed to them she was planning on filing AOS as soon as she entered the US.

I don’t have the time to guide people who ask questions and end up doing things their own way regardless of the information they’ve been provided with. But I will do you the favor of telling you to proceed alone while your wife remains back at home. You may try FTJ, and if that doesn’t work, be prepared for her to stay back about 2 years while you sponsor her. The F2 visa is useless once you become a LPR, she can’t stay in the US on that status if you no longer have it.
Thanks for your kind reply and your willingness to help us.

Your congress person can only get a status update, they can’t request USCIS to adjudicate a pending case so contacting them is pointless IMO.

Plus trying to put pressure on your FO from different sources at the same time is a bad idea. These resources are meant to be used one after the other. Contacting the Congress man/woman is a step below that of reaching out to the ombudsman’s office. So my recommendation is to WAIT for the ombudsman’s office to get back to you.
Thank you so much for confirming my doubts. That is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Thank you again

Dear Sm1smom,

There is a detail that I wanted to share with you. Durinh my infopass yesterday, and as I shared in one of my posts, the IO did mention and I kept asking him to make sure, that my case was transferred to Vermont Service Center, which he also said I cannot visit. Then when I left I did receive a followup call from the IO that I spoke to a day before and she insisted that the code that shows on her screen was for Vermont Field Office. Then the 2nd level officer through the 1800 number confirmed that my case is at Vermont Field Office.
While waiting for a response from the Ombudsman, should I pay VFO a visit, despite conflicting information about where my file is located? Knowing that VFO is about four hours drive. What do you advice me?

Dear Sm1smom,

There is a detail that I wanted to share with you. Durinh my infopass yesterday, and as I shared in one of my posts, the IO did mention and I kept asking him to make sure, that my case was transferred to Vermont Service Center, which he also said I cannot visit. Then when I left I did receive a followup call from the IO that I spoke to a day before and she insisted that the code that shows on her screen was for Vermont Field Office. Then the 2nd level officer through the 1800 number confirmed that my case is at Vermont Field Office.
While waiting for a response from the Ombudsman, should I pay VFO a visit, despite conflicting information about where my file is located? Knowing that VFO is about four hours drive. What do you advice me?

Ok I understand your case transfer is causing this to be a stressful and confusing process for you, but I’m getting tired and stressed out too. I already told you back on Wednesday you could follow up by visiting the new FO you were told your case got transferred to. This is really your call to make, wether to undertake the 4 hour journey. I don’t have anything at stake here, you do!

Ok I understand your case transfer is causing this to be a stressful and confusing process for you, but I’m getting tired and stressed out too. I already told you back on Wednesday you could follow up by visiting the new FO you were told your case got transferred to. This is really your call to make, wether to undertake the 4 hour journey. I don’t have anything at stake here, you do!
I am not trying to make you repeat yourself. If I am asking the question now it is because on Thursday I did submit a request to the Ombudsman. The same way I did ask you about the congressman, I wanted to check with you if visiting the FO is still worth it, and unharmful to my case again after I did submit the request to the Ombudsman.
I did not intent for my questions to stress you out.
Of course I take full responsibility for my case. I was kindly asking for advice.

I've posted about my process a few times about all the annoying mishaps I've encountered. Just to update, my Greencard was "lost/stolen" in the mail and I've since paid the $540 fee to order a new one. I've got my 2nd biometrics appointment in a few weeks but in the meantime managed to get an INFOPASS appointment June 18th. I'm hoping to get the stamp in my passport that will allow me to work, but I'm confused about if that "stamp" has a fee attached or not. I'm not sure if it's the exact same as the I-551 (for traveling purposes) or if it all falls under the same category of just proof of lawful residency. I've been on hold for multiple jobs that I've had to decline because I do not have my physical greencard and it's driving me insane.
So, my main question is does that stamp act as a substitute for the physical greencard for employment purposes. I thought my approval notice would be enough which it wasn't so I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time with this either. (not that I won't opt to get it anyway)

Also, quick shoutout to the freakin USPS and USCIS for "losing" green cards way too often during post. Not cool. Super shady situation that lead me to believe they had something to do with it not arriving correctly.

Hi, I have a question, I have 2018SA166X, so chances are that I can file my AoS during the next month. Assuming that I can file it by the end of june/beginning of August, do you think I can make it before the end of the fiscal year?

Hi Mom and every one, I went my infopass today. The officer told me that I do not need to retake the medical wxam and they consider a year after submition if we submit that with I485
I think FOs just act different in any case

She told me they can not request to expedite my back ground check. I showed her the update Uscis that was about request to expefite for DV cases but she kept saying No
I am wondering if it is fine that I call myself to have a request?
Pleae let me know if you have any experience about that
Thanks

Hi, I have a question, I have 2018SA166X, so chances are that I can file my AoS during the next month. Assuming that I can file it by the end of june/beginning of August, do you think I can make it before the end of the fiscal year?

We’ve had selectees who became current in September and successfully completed the process by the end of the FY.