• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

If he’s technically out of status, the wife is also technically out of status. He’s the F1 status holder, the wife is here on F2 as his derivative. If he has no valid status, same applies to the wife so she will equally not be eligible for AOS by virtue of the husband’s violation. If the wife was on an independent status, his violation wouldn’t have mattered and she would have been okay.

Ah, I understand now - I thought you meant DV derivative. Thanks for clarification!

Hi Mom,

I had my E3 renewed last year in the US, which means I now have an expired stamp. As I have not been out of the US since my stamp expired I have not had the stamp renewed. I have an approved I-797 that is valid until 2020. My question is on the I-485 form where it asks for nonimmigrant visa number for this passport, do I put my expired stamp number in this box, or the Receipt No on the I-797? My assumption is the visa stamp number but I wanted to double check. I will submit copies of both with the AOS package.

Apologies if you have answered this already. I have been reading this forum since December and went back and couldn't find anything, but I could have easily missed it too.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Mom,

I had my E3 renewed last year in the US, which means I now have an expired stamp. As I have not been out of the US since my stamp expired I have not had the stamp renewed. I have an approved I-797 that is valid until 2020. My question is on the I-485 form where it asks for nonimmigrant visa number for this passport, do I put my expired stamp number in this box, or the Receipt No on the I-797? My assumption is the visa stamp number but I wanted to double check. I will submit copies of both with the AOS package.

Apologies if you have answered this already. I have been reading this forum since December and went back and couldn't find anything, but I could have easily missed it too.

Thanks in advance!

Put the expired visa stamp number. The information being sought is for the actual visa used in entering the US, not your current status.

Hello everyone,

I've submitted all of my documentation back in January, and I did my Biometrics on Jan 29. However, no updates since then. The USCIS case status check is not really helpful, since it still just say that they received all fees.
Should I just be patient and wait, or is there someone I should contact to see what is going on? I'm surprised they haven't even updated the profile to say I did my biometrics.

Sorry, if Im asking stupid questions or sound impatient.

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I've submitted all of my documentation back in January, and I did my Biometrics on Jan 29. However, no updates since then. The USCIS case status check is not really helpful, since it still just say that they received all fees.
Should I just be patient and wait, or is there someone I should contact to see what is going on? I'm surprised they haven't even updated the profile to say I did my biometrics.

Sorry, if Im asking stupid questions or sound impatient.

Thank you!
There is no update to show you've done your biometrics. Generally, it just remains as is, until after a decision is made on your application (which is after your interview, unless it is waived)
All you can do is to check the spreadsheet to compare your timeline to other applicants in the same Field Office in the previous years.
In my humble opinion, it is too soon for you to worry given your provided timeline. However, when you think it's time to follow up, you should do so through an INFOPASS appointment.

If I submit my form I-485 to USCIS and they didn’t process my file and pass the date sept 30th 2018, does I lose my chance because as far as I know DV2018 end on the sept 30 2018. Thank you.

Hope you are all doing well,

A warning message "ATTENTION: Effective March 19, 2018, this USCIS office will temporarily stop accepting walk-in requests or scheduling InfoPass appointments for information services." is displayed when I try to book an INFOPASS appointment. No appointments are available after March 16, the calendar even can't be scrolled further then this date.

What is the new recommended approach to follow up with USCIS on pending case?

Hope you are all doing well,

A warning message "ATTENTION: Effective March 19, 2018, this USCIS office will temporarily stop accepting walk-in requests or scheduling InfoPass appointments for information services." is displayed when I try to book an INFOPASS appointment. No appointments are available after March 16, the calendar even can't be scrolled further then this date.

What is the new recommended approach to follow up with USCIS on pending case?

While USCIS is yet to come out with an official statement, reports circulating from around late 2017 indicates USCIS is planning to release a new scheduling process in 2018 as a pilot program at these 5 FOs: Hartford, CT; El Paso, TX; Jacksonville, FL; Sacramento, CA; and San Francisco, CA. No date was listed as to when this will go into effect.

The new process will be coordinated by the USCIS Customer Service Center. Petitioners needing to make infopass appointments will be required to first contact the call center by phone, speak to a Tier 1 officer, and request to schedule an InfoPass appointment. The call will then be escalated to a Tier 2 USCIS representative who will confirm that the issue is appropriate for an InfoPass appointment before scheduling the appointment.

The stated reason for this new process is to ensure issues that can be addressed by calling the customer service center are truly handled on that level without petitioners clogging up the online system and showing up at the FOs. This is a very dumb move IMO considering the fact that the Tier 1 officers know next to nothing about most of the immigration process, their responses are not dynamic, they’re from scripted materials, they see exactly what a petitioner is able to see regarding their case online, and being connected to a Tier 2 USCIS Officer is currently a frustrating experience.

So the direct response to your posted question is to call the customer service center and request an infopass appointment. Let us know how that goes.

While USCIS is yet to come out with an official statement, reports circulating from around late 2017 indicates USCIS is planning to release a new scheduling process in 2018 as a pilot program at these 5 FOs: Hartford, CT; El Paso, TX; Jacksonville, FL; Sacramento, CA; and San Francisco, CA. No date was listed as to when this will go into effect.

The new process will be coordinated by the USCIS Customer Service Center. Petitioners needing to make infopass appointments will be required to first contact the call center by phone, speak to a Tier 1 officer, and request to schedule an InfoPass appointment. The call will then be escalated to a Tier 2 USCIS representative who will confirm that the issue is appropriate for an InfoPass appointment before scheduling the appointment.

The stated reason for this new process is to ensure issues that can be addressed by calling the customer service center are truly handled on that level without petitioners clogging up the online system and showing up at the FOs. This is a very dumb move IMO considering the fact that the Tier 1 officers know next to nothing about most of the immigration process, their responses are not dynamic, they’re from scripted materials, they see exactly what a petitioner is able to see regarding their case online, and being connected to a Tier 2 USCIS Officer is currently a frustrating experience.

So the direct response to your posted question is to call the customer service center and request an infopass appointment. Let us know how that goes.

Thank you for a very detailed explanation.
I'll share my experience when I request next appointment in April. Luckily this time
I was able to reserve a slot online for the March 16th, the last day before these changes go into effect.

I have one more separate question.
My employer is about to file PERM as a first step for employment-based GC (this is my contingency plan, employer is not aware of a separate DV AOS process). I've read in this forum that FO might not make a final decision until other petitions are approved and FO has all the files from other departments.
Does PERM application fall under these rules and there is a chance that final decision might be delayed for several months until PERM application is adjudicated?

My employer is about to file PERM as a first step for employment-based GC (this is my contingency plan, employer is not aware of a separate DV AOS process). I've read in this forum that FO might not make a final decision until other petitions are approved and FO has all the files from other departments.
Does PERM application fall under these rules and there is a chance that final decision might be delayed for several months until PERM application is adjudicated?

I don’t know which part of the forum you read about the FO not making a final decision UNTIL other petitions are APPROVED and FO has the files from other departments. The FO isn’t waiting until the other petitions are approved AFAIK, but yes, they may request the files of those other pending petitions for review.

Out of experience PERM gets filed at the department of labour.......their decision takes about 5 months according to the current time lines AND these are not yet linked to USCIS so they cannot see you have a PERM in process. Only when a petition is filed after getting the PERM approved USCIS can see it and by the looks off it this DV term will be done by then.

Hey mom, can you please help me with this issue and thanks in advance.
My case might get current on July so if I file my form to USCIS on July I don’t think they can process my application before sept 30th. Also I read if I file early before my number get current will reject my file

My case might get current on July so if I file my form to USCIS on July I don’t think they can process my application before sept 30th. Also I read if I file early before my number get current will reject my file
go read the guidance sheet. that will answer all of your questions. you can find it in the first page of this topic. you will be able to file about two month before the time you become current (as soon as you see your number in the table).

Last edited:

You haven’t asked any specific question, you’ve only stated what you’re thinking so I don’t know precisely what issue I’m supposed to help you with. You need to ask specific questions in order to get the right guidance.