• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi Mom and Everyone,
I am on F2/Principle DV applicant. what am I supposed to answer to i-485. Part 2.
1. item 3: Receipt number of underlying petition?
2. item 4: Priority date underlying petition?
Sorry if this has been answered already. I searched in this thread, in vain.
Thank you.

Hi Mom,
I did my finger print around the new year. When I went for my interview in mid February, the officer mentioned that my background check was not completed. He mentioned that I can contact USCIS if I don't hear from them by late August- early September. He said by then they can request to expedite the process. The officer didn't seem very informed. I am wondering if I should follow his advise or should I be more proactive? Is there anything that I can do or should I just wait as officer suggested?

Hi Mom,
I did my finger print around the new year. When I went for my interview in mid February, the officer mentioned that my background check was not completed. He mentioned that I can contact USCIS if I don't hear from them by late August- early September. He said by then they can request to expedite the process. The officer didn't seem very informed. I am wondering if I should follow his advise or should I be more proactive? Is there anything that I can do or should I just wait as officer suggested?

I’m sure the IO informing you your background check was yet to clear didn’t come as a surprise - we did talk extensively about this in the past right? Don’t wait till August/September to start following up on your case. I suggest you begin follow up from the end of April if there’s no news.

I’m sure the IO informing you your background check was yet to clear didn’t come as a surprise - we did talk extensively about this in the past right? Don’t wait till August/September to start following up on your case. I suggest you begin follow up from the end of April if there’s no news.
Hi Mom,
Thank you for your advise. It was not a surprise to me as you have mentioned this to me. How should I follow up ? Is it by making infopass appointments or should I call the USCIS 1800 number?
Thank you

Hi Mom,
Thank you for your advise. It was not a surprise to me as you have mentioned this to me. How should I follow up ? Is it by making infopass appointments or should I call the USCIS 1800 number?
Thank you

Start with INFOPASS.

Good Afternoon

Thank you so much for the regular support. I'm trying to fill the I-485 form and having some confusion to fill this form. Wondering to get some help regarding the confusions listed below:
1. How to find the ALIEN NUMBER OR USCIS ONLINE NUMBER. Can we find the alien number from our recent EAD card?
travel document number
2. The form is also asking non immigration visa number. How to find the visa number?
3. This is I- 485( part 2, number 3 and 4). Asking for the RECEIPT NUMBER OF UNDERLYING PETITION.
4. Travel document number. ( never traveled outside usa)

Thank you so much for your time

Good Afternoon

Thank you so much for the regular support. I'm trying to fill the I-485 form and having some confusion to fill this form. Wondering to get some help regarding the confusions listed below:
1. How to find the ALIEN NUMBER OR USCIS ONLINE NUMBER. Can we find the alien number from our recent EAD card?
travel document number
2. The form is also asking non immigration visa number. How to find the visa number?
3. This is I- 485( part 2, number 3 and 4). Asking for the RECEIPT NUMBER OF UNDERLYING PETITION.
4. Travel document number. ( never traveled outside usa)

Thank you so much for your time

1. You wouldn’t have a USCIS online number if you’ve never opened one. Alien Number is the same as the USCIS # on your EAD card.

2. Refer to the NIV you originally entered the US with for your visa number. Goggle to see different examples of where the number is located on the visa.

3. Go through the following link:
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/page-97#post-2471087

4. Travel document is for someone who used some other form of document, outside of a passport, to enter the US. You wouldn’t have a travel document if you entered the US with a passport.

Hi all,

I received 3 requests for an interview, but they made the same mistake for my wife and child in their last names (1 letter is incorrect). Is it important? Should I call USCIS about that? They are dependents, I'm principal applicant and in my request everything seems correct.
BTW, in previous I-797 forms (bio appointment) last names were written correctly.

I called USCIS Customer Service and they confirmed that these were errors during typing the notices. Everything was correct in their system.

But today we received the following letter:

123.jpg

It says you will have an interview at a later date. We are scheduled to attend the interview this week, but now it means that only I and our child will have the interview.
My wife will have it later and Customer Service knows nothing about that. They failed to explain the reason to reschedule the interview because of typographical error, especially if everything is correct in their system. I am so confused.

sm1smom, should we arrive to USCIS all together? I hope they wrote this phase about later date automatically... :(

I called USCIS Customer Service and they confirmed that these were errors during typing the notices. Everything was correct in their system.

But today we received the following letter:

View attachment 808

It says you will have an interview at a later date. We are scheduled to attend the interview this week, but now it means that only I and our child will have the interview.
My wife will have it later and Customer Service knows nothing about that. They failed to explain the reason to reschedule the interview because of typographical error, especially if everything is correct in their system. I am so confused.

sm1smom, should we arrive to USCIS all together? I hope they wrote this phase about later date automatically... :(

Oh! Really? You want my opinion NOW on what to do?

About a month ago when you got your IL, you posted about ONE letter wrongly spelt for your spouse and child’s last names and wanted to know how important this error was. I responded by saying it wasn’t important. But I guess you felt my response couldn’t be trusted hence the need to contact the USCIS call center. And now that you’ve succeeded in getting them to screw up things for you, you need my guidance on what to do. I honestly feel like ignoring your post and let you figure out things on you own, but what’s the point of having this forum.

Anyway I suggest you all attend the interview as previously scheduled with the old ILs. You wife is a derivative, she will be interviewed with you.

Oh! Really? You want my opinion NOW on what to do?

About a month ago when you got your IL, you posted about ONE letter wrongly spelt for your spouse and child’s last names and wanted to know how important this error was. I responded by saying it wasn’t important. But I guess you felt my response couldn’t be trusted hence the need to contact the USCIS call center. And now that you’ve succeeded in getting them to screw up things for you, you need my guidance on what to do. I honestly feel like ignoring your post and let you figure out things on you own, but what’s the point of having this forum.

Anyway I suggest you all attend the interview as previously scheduled with the old ILs. You wife is a derivative, she will be interviewed with you.

Totally agree with you, mom. Sorry about that, it was really stupid not to follow your recommendations.

Thank you for your suggestion, we plan to attend all together, hope the officer will allow us to do that.

Again, sorry for being stupid.:(

Guys, just another proof that we should listen to what mom is saying otherwise we can make our AOS journey really awful!

My wife won the green card lottery smand we are in the USA now . She has F2 visa and I have F1 visa . She is the principal applicant. I work as an UBER deriver and I have work permit but I worked for 10 months with an expired EAD but now I have a valid card and we are sending our applications this month. Would that affect our chance ? Or they only look if she is qualify for the green card.

My wife won the green card lottery smand we are in the USA now . She has F2 visa and I have F1 visa . She is the principal applicant. I work as an UBER deriver and I have work permit but I worked for 10 months with an expired EAD but now I have a valid card and we are sending our applications this month. Would that affect our chance ? Or they only look if she is qualify for the green card.

We have valid I-20 and I am currently studying at a university.
I just have that gap between the two EAD cards

If you’re on F1 and worked for UBER, that is unauthorized employment regardless of if you had a valid EAD card or not.

Unauthorized employment is a violation of your F1 visa which technically speaking means you’re out of status. Since your wife is your derivative, then your being out of status means she’s equally out of statu. You’re both technically not eligible for AOS.

I recommend you speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney to discuss your immigration status before you proceed with submitting your AOS package.

If you’re on F1 and worked for UBER, that is unauthorized employment regardless of if you had a valid EAD card or not.

Unauthorized employment is a violation of your F1 visa which technically speaking means you’re out of status. Since your wife is your derivative, then your being out of status means she’s equally out of statu. You’re both technically not eligible for AOS.

I recommend you speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney to discuss your immigration status before you proceed with submitting your AOS package.
My EAD is based on an economic hardship so it is for working off campus.

My EAD is based on an economic hardship so it is for working off campus.

I see.

Nonetheless, there’s still the issue of the 10 months unauthorized employment you did with the expired EAD. That also is a violation of your F1 and it technically made you fall out of status; and your wife by extension.

The DHS published a Final Rule regarding the use of EAD renewal receipt for ongoing work back in Nov 2016, which became effective in Jan 2017, that is the Jan 30th, 2017 EAD Fact Sheet (attached below) allows for ungoing employment for up to 180 dates with an expired EAD and an EAD extension receipt, I-797 NOA assuming the EAD renewal was timely filed. You however worked for well over 180 days.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Verification/I-9 Central/FactSheets/Fact-Sheet-AutoExtendEAD.pdf

Mom, I believe he said his wife is the winner, would that mean she is ok to process AOS even if he isn’t?

If he’s technically out of status, the wife is also technically out of status. He’s the F1 status holder, the wife is here on F2 as his derivative. If he has no valid status, same applies to the wife so she will equally not be eligible for AOS by virtue of the husband’s violation. If the wife was on an independent status, his violation wouldn’t have mattered and she would have been okay.