• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Hi Mom, to be more specific:
I have the inteview at the US embassy in France and my birth certificate is in French. Do I need to bring an english translation of it?
Plus, for the police certificate, do i need to bring a copy of every country I have lived in?

Thank you :)

You really need to read the instructions.

The instructions say you need to translate documents only if they are not in English or the official language where the interviewing embassy is located.

For police certs there are some rules which are clear in the instructions.

The link for the instructions is only your letter of selection.

Hi Mom, to be more specific:
I have the inteview at the US embassy in France and my birth certificate is in French. Do I need to bring an english translation of it?
Plus, for the police certificate, do i need to bring a copy of every country I have lived in?

Thank you :)

Bonsoir Gaëlle, you don't need to translate it to English don't worry. IllI be interviewed in France (Paris) !

PS : I sent you a personal message

Hi Folks
Just a quick one just realized I filled in the wrong date n month of the year one of my parents was born. So do I ask to unlock the Ds-260...or its a minor error which can be fixed at the interview day... Or even much later....Thanks in advance..;)

Hi Folks
Just a quick one just realized I filled in the wrong date n month of the year one of my parents was born. So do I ask to unlock the Ds-260...or its a minor error which can be fixed at the interview day... Or even much later....Thanks in advance..;)

Make the change at the interview. You can’t make the change “much later” and it will be an issue if parents are still alive and you decide to sponsor them years later down the road.

Hello all

A question about translated documents please. I have just realised that translated documents need to be accompanied by a statement from the translator, acknowledging their fluency in English.

I have had my academic documents/ transcripts translated by several professional translators throughout the years (needed to do that to apply for undergraduate/graduate school in the past).

If I wanted to use those translations, do I need to reach back to those translators an ask for the statement (How important is having that statement with the translations)?
Considering this might not be possible, am I better off having my documents translated again by a new translator?
And one last question, can I do the translation myself since a professional translator is not required and I am fluent enough to do that.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

and one more thing please, we do not mention any travel history in the Ds260 do you ? No need to unlock to update that, correct ?

Hello all

A question about translated documents please. I have just realised that translated documents need to be accompanied by a statement from the translator, acknowledging their fluency in English.

I have had my academic documents/ transcripts translated by several professional translators throughout the years (needed to do that to apply for undergraduate/graduate school in the past).

If I wanted to use those translations, do I need to reach back to those translators an ask for the statement (How important is having that statement with the translations)?
Considering this might not be possible, am I better off having my documents translated again by a new translator?
And one last question, can I do the translation myself since a professional translator is not required and I am fluent enough to do that.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

The instructions regarding translated documents are quite clear, they need to be accompanied by certified statement attesting to the fluency of the translator(s) in both English and the language being translated from. You can either reach out to the translator(s) to get the certified statements, or use a new translator and get the certified statement at the same time, your call.

And no, you or a close family member CANNOT do the translation on your behalf. It has to be done by a third party.

We are waiting for our interview and preparing all documents. I am the applicant. Does my wife need to provide work experience and educational records as well?

Hello,

Thanks for everyone's kind advice.

It has been 7 months since activating my green card. I visited the USA for 2 weeks at the 5 month mark to look around for work and then returned to Australia to tie up loose ends. A few people raised concerns about the immigration officer writing the length of time away i.e. after the annotation ARC Away 2 months. When I entered at the 5 month mark, the immigration officer only put ARC.

1. Is there any cause for concern if the next officer annotates ARC and the duration I’ve been away? I’d imagine its not the same implication as them putting Advised Residency Requirements. and I'm of the understanding that it may be part of protocol but at the officer's discretion to write down time spent away after "ARC".

I am of the understanding that I am allowed to make multiple (short, say 2-4 weeks) trips away from the USA to my original country, Australia while I tie up loose ends and try to establish residency in the USA.

2. On my next trip I am planning to exit from Australia and fly to the USA by booking a return ticket simply because its cheaper than a one way ticket, and its duration is for 6 - 12 months (to stay in the USA - I might return to Australia to visit family for occasions such as Christmas for example), while I try to establish myself in the USA. Can anyone forsee any issues with this given its the third entry? (I asked and was told on my first (Green Card activation trip) entry to San Francisco that I have up to 2 years to establish residency, but should not be out of the country for more than 12 months at a time without a re-entry permit, so I'm guessing whatever I'm planning to do should be ok?)

Thanks.

-Tom

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for everyone's kind advice.

It has been 7 months since activating my green card. I visited the USA for 2 weeks at the 5 month mark to look around for work and then returned to Australia to tie up loose ends. A few people raised concerns about the immigration officer writing the length of time away i.e. after the annotation ARC Away 2 months. When I entered at the 5 month mark, the immigration officer only put ARC.

1. Is there any cause for concern if the next officer annotates ARC and the duration I’ve been away? I’d imagine its not the same implication as them putting Advised Residency Requirements. and I'm of the understanding that it may be part of protocol but at the officer's discretion to write down time spent away after "ARC".

I am of the understanding that I am allowed to make multiple (short, say 2-4 weeks) trips away from the USA to my original country, Australia while I tie up loose ends and try to establish residency in the USA.

2. On my next trip I am planning to exit from Australia and book a return ticket simply because its cheaper than a one way ticket, but its duration is for 6 - 12 months, while I try to establish myself in the USA. Can anyone forsee any issues with this given its the third entry? (I asked and was told on my first (Green Card activation trip) entry to San Francisco that I have up to 2 years to establish residency, but should not be out of the country for more than 12 months at a time without a re-entry permit, so I'm guessing whatever I'm planning to do should be ok?)

Thanks.

-Tom
It will be ok in terms of: you won’t be refused entry, but prepare yourself for questions to be asked. I got grilled after a 5-month absence, you never know which CBP officer you get, and the return ticket is the flag. Although it’s easy to truthfully say it’s cheaper than a one-way, they know that certain airlines do that.

Hello!

My case number is EU 6XXX for dv2018. My DS260 submit date is May 2018.

I am worried for my late submission date of DS260. Do you think my chance is low because of this?

When do you think I can get an appointment for interview (if I can)?

Hello!

My case number is EU 6XXX for dv2018. My DS260 submit date is May 2018.

I am worried for my late submission date of DS260. Do you think my chance is low because of this?

When do you think I can get an appointment for interview (if I can)?

You will have to wait and see. DS260 processing is not long, but there are some embassies with scheduling backlogs.

You will have to wait and see. DS260 processing is not long, but there are some embassies with scheduling backlogs.

Thank you for your reply. I've read somewhere that some changes have been made in the process in dv2018. It is speculated that the early submission of DS260 does not have importance anymore and only case number matters (i.e. if your case number is lower, you have priority no matter when you submitted the DS260). Is this true?

Thank you for your reply. I've read somewhere that some changes have been made in the process in dv2018. It is speculated that the early submission of DS260 does not have importance anymore and only case number matters (i.e. if your case number is lower, you have priority no matter when you submitted the DS260). Is this true?

What you read ‘somewhere’ isn’t entirely accurate. CNs have always mattered, it didn’t just start with DV2018. Yes early submission may no longer make a difference in terms of DS260 form processing for those with higher CNs, timely submission still matters which is what you have failed to do.

Higher CNs (numbers higher than yours) which are now current and whose DS260 forms were submitted way before yours will get processed and scheduled before yours gets processed and scheduled for an interview. It’s not like KCC drops whatever they were doing every time a ‘late’ DS260 for a lower CN shows up. Even if they’re done processing your form, they’ll have to schedule other current (higher) cases already processed ahead of yours before you get an interview spot. And it makes sense to do that.

So like Simon already said, you’ll have to wait and see.