• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Hi, i just came out of the interview and the CO told me they had to check if i had criminal records in the US because i have been traveling to the US a lot apparently. Am i on AP? or was my visa approved? they kept my passport....

Hi, i just came out of the interview and the CO told me they had to check if i had criminal records in the US because i have been traveling to the US a lot apparently. Am i on AP? or was my visa approved? they kept my passport....

Hi @Rick Sanchez

I'm glad that you finally had your interview and I'm guessing that your case is on AP status pending security background checks.

Ok, first of all I think you need to take responsibility for whatever confusion is going on with KCC and not simply chuck it down to KCC not being diligent. We’ve had several forum members successfully switch from AOS to CP. I don’t know why you’re having a back and forth with KCC.

The process for switching from AOS to CP is simple:
- Email KCC and request for them to unlock your DS-260 form.
- Update your current address to whatever address is applicable in your home country (regardless of how long you’ve been living in the US or if you’re currently living in the US or not) - KCC uses the listed address to schedule the interview - and they clearly told you you need to update the address by your own account above.
- Submit the DS260 form and follow up with an email to KCC letting them know you’re switching from AOS to CP - the email is important since you can’t change the selection directly on the form.

Are these the steps you took????

I’m sorry I can’t recommend which process will be best for you. You need to make the decision on your own.

Hi,

I wrote on this thread a couple of months ago, I switched from AoS (we are living in the US) to CP [we called KCC and they acknowledged the change] but when reading your post I remembered I forgot to update my current address. We are EU24xxx so still have time to update the DS260.
My questions are - in the DS260:

1/ If I understand correctly I should I update the section "Present Address" from my current address in the US to my parent's address [in my home country], right? And then what should I answer to the question "Started Living Here"? April 2018? Sounds like I am overthinking that but just want to be sure...

2/ In the section "Is your Mailing Address the same as your Present Address?" and "Is your present address where you want your Permanent Residence Card (Green Card) mailed? " what should I put? I want the US embassy to send the package [after the interview] with our passports and the visas at my parent's place [of course because we will stay at my parents' place during the CP process] and I want the plastic Green Card to be mailed to my US address when we will return to the US and activate the plastic GC production process. I think I should select "Yes" to the 1st question and "No" in the 2nd question and give them our US address but I am a bit unsure about that...

Sorry to post on the AoS thread but it seems I still have one foot in the AoS process :)

thanks a lot -

~~~ post moved from AOS Thread ~~~​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I wrote on this thread a couple of months ago, I switched from AoS (we are living in the US) to CP [we called KCC and they acknowledged the change] but when reading your post I remembered I forgot to update my current address. We are EU24xxx so still have time to update the DS260.
My questions are - in the DS260:

1/ If I understand correctly I should I update the section "Present Address" from my current address in the US to my parent's address [in my home country], right? And then what should I answer to the question "Started Living Here"? April 2018? Sounds like I am overthinking that but just want to be sure...

2/ In the section "Is your Mailing Address the same as your Present Address?" and "Is your present address where you want your Permanent Residence Card (Green Card) mailed? " what should I put? I want the US embassy to send the package [after the interview] with our passports and the visas at my parent's place [of course because we will stay at my parents' place during the CP process] and I want the plastic Green Card to be mailed to my US address when we will return to the US and activate the plastic GC production process. I think I should select "Yes" to the 1st question and "No" in the 2nd question and give them our US address but I am a bit unsure about that...

Sorry to post on the AoS thread but it seems I still have one foot in the AoS process :)

thanks a lot -

You are way overthinking!! You can clarify mailing addresses at the interview (usually there is a courier involved if you don't collect from embassy, and you enter the address specifically at the embassy or online on the courier website for passport return) and you can check again on entry to the US that the correct address for GC is there. It only allows a US address for green card anyway.

You are way overthinking!! You can clarify mailing addresses at the interview (usually there is a courier involved if you don't collect from embassy, and you enter the address specifically at the embassy or online on the courier website for passport return) and you can check again on entry to the US that the correct address for GC is there. It only allows a US address for green card anyway.

Thanks Susie, I know I am a bit overthinking it but it's just a big change I don't want to mess up.

My main concern was about Sm1smom's remark:
- Update your current address to whatever address is applicable in your home country (regardless of how long you’ve been living in the US or if you’re currently living in the US or not) - KCC uses the listed address to schedule the interview - and they clearly told you you need to update the address by your own account above.

I just want to be sure that KCC is scheduling my interview in my home country and not in the US :)

Thanks Susie, I know I am a bit overthinking it but it's just a big change I don't want to mess up.

I just want to be sure that KCC is scheduling my interview in my home country and not in the US :)

Didn’t you already say you would put your parents address as your current address?

The last time you posted you posted on the AOS thread about switching to CP, you said you were still filling out your DS260. The assumption was you already knew you needed to have a local address listed. You should have done that.

Hi,

What prove do you have to show KCC is aware of your decision to switch to CP?

You don’t want to mess and you want to be sure KCC is scheduling your interview in your home country but wouldn’t follow some simple instructions you were given. Part of my response to you back in January was:

1. Select CP, submit your form. Follow up with an email to KCC informing them of your desire your switch to CP.

I believe there’s a difference between “calling” and “emailing” - an email elicits a written response which becomes your prove/confirmation KCC is indeed aware of your processing change request.

What prove do you have to show KCC is aware of your decision to switch to CP?

You don’t want to mess and you want to be sure KCC is scheduling your interview in your home country but wouldn’t follow some simple instructions you were given. Part of my response to you back in January was:

I believe there’s a difference between “calling” and “emailing” - an email elicits a written response which becomes your prove/confirmation KCC is indeed aware of your processing change request.
After talking to them our front page did change from USCIS to our home country so we thought we were good, but obviously we missed the current address part...
I will ask to unlock now and adjust my current address to my parents' address

thanks both of you

After talking to them our front page did change from USCIS to our home country so we thought we were good, but obviously we missed the current address part...
I will ask to unlock now and adjust my current address to my parents' address

thanks both of you

Well, you didn’t state the fact that KCC already changed the front page selection on your DS260 from USCIS to your home country - that is your confirmation they have acknowledged your change request, so I don’t know why you were freaking out over what I posted on the AOS thread. It is out of context for you! If you had mentioned the reflected change on your DS260, we wouldn’t be having all these conversations because you are already set for CP!

The reason we ask those changing from AOS to CP to update the address is because that is what KCC typical use in determining the applicable embassy for CP in general, plus KCC typically does not change the front page when a change request is made - they acknowledge the change via email response.

Well, you didn’t state the fact that KCC already changed the front page selection on your DS260 from USCIS to your home country - that is your confirmation they have acknowledged your change request, so I don’t know why you were freaking out over what I posted on the AOS thread. It is out of context for you! If you had mentioned the reflected change on your DS260, we wouldn’t be having all these conversations because you are already set for CP!

The reason we ask those changing from AOS to CP to update the address is because that is what KCC typical use in determining the applicable embassy for CP in general, plus KCC typically does not change the front page when a change request is made - they acknowledge the change via email response.

yes they changed it (actually both boxes USCIS and Home Country are ticked but definitely they changed it because at inception only USCIS was ticked).
We called KCC today and they confirmed that we are scheduled for our Home Country, that's normal that both boxes are ticked (system issue) and that we should leave our US address as Present Address. We also received an email (actually it was couple of months ago but I forgot it) stating that "based on the information you have provided, your interview location has been changed from USCIS/AoS to XXX. The new location will not appear on your DS260 but will be used by KCC for scheduling purposes"

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry to bother you with that it's just very important and every time I see something I haven't done I kinda freak out ...

yes they changed it (actually both boxes USCIS and Home Country are ticked but definitely they changed it because at inception only USCIS was ticked).
We called KCC today and they confirmed that we are scheduled for our Home Country, that's normal that both boxes are ticked (system issue) and that we should leave our US address as Present Address. We also received an email (actually it was couple of months ago but I forgot it) stating that "based on the information you have provided, your interview location has been changed from USCIS/AoS to XXX. The new location will not appear on your DS260 but will be used by KCC for scheduling purposes"

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry to bother you with that it's just very important and every time I see something I haven't done I kinda freak out ...

Hi funwithflag

I believe we are on the same boat. I got the very same e-mail and the last thing they told me this morning is also not to update my present address.

I also very much appreciate the help I got at that forum. I think that the way Ds-260 asks the addresses does not consider people who live in different countries (including US) than the one they want to interview at and it is very understandable that this leads to confusion for people like you and me who is not very experienced in this process and who do not want to put anything wrong in their DS-260.

Hi funwithflag

I believe we are on the same boat. I got the very same e-mail and the last thing they told me this morning is also not to update my present address.

I also very much appreciate the help I got at that forum. I think that the way Ds-260 asks the addresses does not consider people who live in different countries (including US) than the one they want to interview at and it is very understandable that this leads to confusion for people like you and me who is not very experienced in this process and who do not want to put anything wrong in their DS-260.
Hi Michigander,

Good to know ! What case number are you? We are EU24xxx hope to be interviewed in August

I already asked this on the AOS forum but reading some of these posts I'm thinking it might be more appropriate to put it here.
1. We have a child that is a USC and did not add her to the eDV so she doesn't appear on the DS. How should I answer the question regarding children? Include her in the number of children or not? If so, write her as immigrating with me? B/c she can't really immigrate as a citizen, but obviously we're also not leaving her behind...
2. what is the final verdict on what address to write as the current address and mailing address? I'm just now filling in the DS and am living in the US, but expect to do a CP, so should I use a local address for both the current and the mailing address?
3. also - you can change the US address for the GC even after the interview, right? I was thinking of using our current address, but not sure if we'll be staying here in a couple of months time.
Thanks!

I already asked this on the AOS forum but reading some of these posts I'm thinking it might be more appropriate to put it here.
1. We have a child that is a USC and did not add her to the eDV so she doesn't appear on the DS. How should I answer the question regarding children? Include her in the number of children or not? If so, write her as immigrating with me? B/c she can't really immigrate as a citizen, but obviously we're also not leaving her behind...
2. what is the final verdict on what address to write as the current address and mailing address? I'm just now filling in the DS and am living in the US, but expect to do a CP, so should I use a local address for both the current and the mailing address?
3. also - you can change the US address for the GC even after the interview, right? I was thinking of using our current address, but not sure if we'll be staying here in a couple of months time.
Thanks!

1. She’s not immigrating, she’s just returning home when you go back.
2. Use addresses in country you want the interview
3. Yes, at POE when you return with your immigrant visas.

If I may observe, if you want to change to CP you’d probably best get your DS260 in asap. It’s already mid April which is late timewise anyway, and KCC is about to get indundated with DSs from the (assuming it will happen) 2019 draw in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Previous post on AOS thread has been deleted.

1. Include her in the number of children. No, she’s not immigrating with you, she’s already a USC.
2. Since you’re just filling out the form for the first time, which means you’re able to select CP from the get go, whichever address you decide to use in this case wouldn’t be an issue.
3. Yes you can do that at the POE.

I think it's something about fresh parents. I had the exact same line of thought. Of course my USC son is immigrating with me I won't leave him behind!!! Obviously, I had to unlock DS-260 and change my answer to 'no' as soon as logic finally won over the paternal instinct.