• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Need detailed response please.

When I receive acceptance for the green card, how much time do I have to enter USA?

If I need to delay receiving the green card for a year or more, how can I do this?

Need detailed response please.

When I receive acceptance for the green card, how much time do I have to enter USA?

If I need to delay receiving the green card for a year or more, how can I do this?

1. Max 6 months, sometimes less.
2. You can’t, you lose out.

Ok, I’m getting mine soon,

I’m a spouse and my wife is doing AOS process and I’m outside USA working and need to delay my entery to USA for a year or so, what do you suggest?

You’ll need to activate your LPR status by entering the US before the issued IV expires - the entry cannot be delayed beyond the listed expiration date on the visa.

You may apply for a re-entry permit after you enter the US - this enables you to return and stay out for up to 2 years without the fear of losing your LPR status.

^ but note that the application plus biometrics for the re-entry permit needs to be done physically in the US (the permit can be sent to your closest embassy after) so you'd need to plan on spending at least a few weeks in the US when you enter to get all this done.

Just to clarify, you are doing follow to join after your wife's AOS? When you say your interview is "soon", has she already completed this and you've received notification from the embassy/consulate with your interview date?

Hello Mom and Everyone:
I would like to double check with you:
I received a confirmation from KCC for a change from AoS to CP. As per their email, DS 260 does not show the change. Indeed, it doesn't. I believe it's because it's a hard copy now since it has already been signed and submitted.
1. If I ask to unlock the form only to resubmit, would there be a possibility to have the change of interview location show the updated interview location, for my peace of mind? My concern is that if for any reason there is confusion/the change did not take place, I will waste time asking for correction at the supposed time of the interview (expected for August), which will delay my interview further when it's already late in the FY. My previous experience with changes of interview locations (AoS to CP to AoS), is that the change actually showed (for every change) while I hadn't submitted the DS-260 form yet, despite the (generic) disclaimer of the KCC that the change will not show.
2.0. Is there another way to make sure the change took place at KCC's end?
2.2. Is it appropriate to call KCC and ask them to confirm the interview location they have at their end?
3. re KCC's: "You will also need to request that KCC unlock your DS-260, so that you can update your application with your new address". I will be staying at my parents awaiting the interview. It will be my "current address" then but not now (my current address is the US). I have only lived in that address last year during vacation. so I didn't state it as one of my previous addresses in the DS-260 form. the said address only shows under the section about my parents. Is there anywhere in the form, where I should reflect the address I will be staying in during the interview?
Thank you in advance.

Hello Mom and Everyone:
I would like to double check with you:
I received a confirmation from KCC for a change from AoS to CP. As per their email, DS 260 does not show the change. Indeed, it doesn't. I believe it's because it's a hard copy now since it has already been signed and submitted.
1. If I ask to unlock the form only to resubmit, would there be a possibility to have the change of interview location show the updated interview location, for my peace of mind? My concern is that if for any reason there is confusion/the change did not take place, I will waste time asking for correction at the supposed time of the interview (expected for August), which will delay my interview further when it's already late in the FY. My previous experience with changes of interview locations (AoS to CP to AoS), is that the change actually showed (for every change) while I hadn't submitted the DS-260 form yet, despite the (generic) disclaimer of the KCC that the change will not show.
2.0. Is there another way to make sure the change took place at KCC's end?
2.2. Is it appropriate to call KCC and ask them to confirm the interview location they have at their end?
3. re KCC's: "You will also need to request that KCC unlock your DS-260, so that you can update your application with your new address". I will be staying at my parents awaiting the interview. It will be my "current address" then but not now (my current address is the US). I have only lived in that address last year during vacation. so I didn't state it as one of my previous addresses in the DS-260 form. the said address only shows under the section about my parents. Is there anywhere in the form, where I should reflect the address I will be staying in during the interview?
Thank you in advance.

I honestly don’t have the patience fully go through this post and provide a one by one response, because one minute you’re on the AOS thread asking about AOS process, and the next minute you’re on some other thread asking CP related questions. Make it easy for us to guide you as best as we can: Which process are you going through?

Hi Mom, I have just switched to CP. The progress in the VB made it that my most likely interview date (CN 299xx) would be in July or August, which I can manage to attend in my home country, my preferred route.
From the US Embassy website, I also noted that requests for rescheduling DV appointments can be done through a dedicated email address, which seems to mean that you don't have to cancel an appointment before you can get a new one. If my understanding is correct, it would greatly mitigate the risk of ending up without an appointment at all. Also, I don't know how relevant this is, especially that it refers to NIV: the DoS website provides a visa processing timeline for each embassy. My post in particular seems to be the least busy. So I took that into account as well.
Both threads, the information in the AoS spreadsheet and timeline were indispensable in understanding both processes and decide which one I am more comfortable with.
Your help was invaluable.

Hi ,

I’m a dv2018 selectee , case no is 58xx , so its current now , I have not received my 2nl just yet and I’m starting to get worried , I re-submitted my unlocked DS260 around 10 March , initially submitted on May 2017

Could that be a cause of delay ? I noticed that many people are reporting to have recieved theirs , my visa status still shows at NVC

Regards

Hi ,

I’m a dv2018 selectee , case no is 58xx , so its current now , I have not received my 2nl just yet and I’m starting to get worried , I re-submitted my unlocked DS260 around 10 March , initially submitted on May 2017

Could that be a cause of delay ? I noticed that many people are reporting to have recieved theirs , my visa status still shows at NVC

Regards

Lots of people are still waiting. Be patient.

Lots of people are still waiting. Be patient.

Thanks Britsimon , Two more clarifications , what is the expected sequence of events? , will I definitely get the interview in May given that I’m current in May or is it possible that KCC may not be able to process some of us and we get delayed till June ?

Is there a cutoff date when all 2nls would have been sent for May interviews ? So after that date I will know that it will definitely not happen in May ?

Many thanks

Thanks Britsimon , Two more clarifications , what is the expected sequence of events? , will I definitely get the interview in May given that I’m current in May or is it possible that KCC may not be able to process some of us and we get delayed till June ?

Is there a cutoff date when all 2nls would have been sent for May interviews ? So after that date I will know that it will definitely not happen in May ?

Many thanks

You are not guaranteed a May interview. If they can't schedule it - then you would have to wait until the next month.

KCC have changed the way they are scheduling cases - so I don't know when the last 2NLs for May will be sent.

Patience is key.

Hi Guys,

I'm just curious, has anyone heard, noticed anything or read anything regarding any change in the processing of dv selectees this year compared to previous years? (apart from the banned countries)

Last edited:
Hello everyone :) If someone entered United States ( I mean DV 2018 winner) could you explain the whole proces? I mean the Immigration officer,Poe on the airport? Thank you so much,and Best wishes to all :):):):)

And one question :) My friend is going to Usa now in April,but he needs to come back in Serbia because of his work,and he is planing to come back definetly in United States in Autumn. Does that any harm? He is one of the selestee 2018. I understand that for Naturalisation need 4 years and 7 months to be present in United States,but from what time we count that? From time when we enter in United States correct? Thank you so much for answer. :):):):)

Hello everyone :) If someone entered United States ( I mean DV 2018 winner) could you explain the whole proces? I mean the Immigration officer,Poe on the airport? Thank you so much,and Best wishes to all :):):):)
You enter, you hand passport and envelope over, if they ask questions you answer, if you need to change address tell officer. Sometimes quick sometimes long lines but usually just a formality. All the hard work is done before the visa, not on entry.

And one question :) My friend is going to Usa now in April,but he needs to come back in Serbia because of his work,and he is planing to come back definetly in United States in Autumn. Does that any harm? He is one of the selestee 2018. I understand that for Naturalisation need 4 years and 7 months to be present in United States,but from what time we count that? From time when we enter in United States correct? Thank you so much for answer. :):):):)

If he’s out for less than a year and only one such absence, it won’t be a problem.
The presence requirements are a bit more complex than you state there, there is both “physical presence” and “continuous presence” to work out. Google, its easy to find (and easier than me paraphrasing it haha) but note that if he is out longer than 6 months the clock “resets” to start at his next entry date.

You enter, you hand passport and envelope over, if they ask questions you answer, if you need to change address tell officer. Sometimes quick sometimes long lines but usually just a formality. All the hard work is done before the visa, not on entry.

If he’s out for less than a year and only one such absence, it won’t be a problem.
The presence requirements are a bit more complex than you state there, there is both “physical presence” and “continuous presence” to work out. Google, its easy to find (and easier than me paraphrasing it haha) but note that if he is out longer than 6 months the clock “resets” to start at his next entry date.

Thank you so much for answer SusieQQQ :* I will enter now in end of June,and every information is welcome :) :) :) I told him,he says Thank you so much :) :) :)

Hello everyone I have a quick question.
My husband and I have our interview in May and I just got a great job offer in the US. Should I bring it to the interview ? I mean is it actually legal to apply for US job without having our green card (yet) ?
Thank you for all your help !

Hello everyone I have a quick question.
My husband and I have our interview in May and I just got a great job offer in the US. Should I bring it to the interview ? I mean is it actually legal to apply for US job without having our green card (yet) ?
Thank you for all your help !

Yes it is legal. Take the offer letter along IF it is indeed a genuine offer.