• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Based on the VB. Your interview will only be scheduled when your number becomes current. They schedule interviews based on how many visas are available in the region and work through the cases chronologically.

There is the chance that, once current, some numbers interview before others. I know I interviewed before people who had numbers ahead of mine. But we were still all current.

Thanks as always, Emily.

Off topic: Seems like BritSimon's blog crushed under heavy traffic. Or is it the NSA???

Thanks for the response to my first post. I have another question:
OC selectees are from obviously different countries - Aust, NZ, Fiji, PNG, etc. How do the interviews work for different countries? For instance, let's say person X from Sydney, Aust, got a CN of 400 and person Y from Fiji got a CN of 600 (which is the lowest CN from all of Fiji). Since these two people would be having their interviews in different locations, is there a possibility that the CN of 600 from Fiji will get his/her interview before the CN of 400 from Aust? Or is the interview schedule strictly based on the Visa Bulletin?

From past observations, the CN determines the month you are current. You can be interviewed any time in the month. So while an individual embassy will usually have the schedule in chronological order, it is not at all unusual for someone with a higher number to be interviewed before one with a lower number in the same region if both are current in the same month and they are interviewing at different consulates.

FINANCIAL ADVICE (*): For all the new players on this forum ...

If you are in a position to take advantage of this. and if you're confident of getting your visa interview and moving to the States, you might want to consider this ...

If you apply for and get issued an American Express card, you can transfer the card once you get settled in the US. This will assist you in establishing a credit rating in the States, as some people do find it difficult in getting that all important first credit card.

To be eligible for a Card transfer, your Card must be issued by American Express (http://www.americanexpress.com.au), NOT through a partner bank, and have held for at least 12 months.

* Please note that I am not a Financial Advisor. The above post is provided for information only. Please consider your own current financial position before taking on more credit committments.

I've done the AMEX global transfer myself and can confirm it works.

Btw you need to have held the card for six months so sign up asap.

Chance of (SMALL) second draw? About 40%. (Total plucked out of the air number).

Do you know what years they conducted second draws and how many extra selectees this resulted in?
How would people even learn that there was a second draw conducted? They don't seem to send out emails to people.
Personally, I think 84000 sounds rather shockingly low given the change to online DS-260 form submissions....so while 110k to 125k might be too many, I think 100k would be more suitable to meet the goals (handing out all visas and have a balanced workload by KCC).

Hmm, for the previous addresses - Simon's guide says not to include any holidays, but the previous times I was in the US I was on an F1 visa and lived in student accommodation for 6-8 weeks. Would these addresses need to be something I should include anyway, or just leave them out?

A stay in the USA is significant and ties to the visa that they will already know - so despite that being a short period of time you should include that.

Do you know what years they conducted second draws and how many extra selectees this resulted in?
How would people even learn that there was a second draw conducted? They don't seem to send out emails to people.
Personally, I think 84000 sounds rather shockingly low given the change to online DS-260 form submissions....so while 110k to 125k might be too many, I think 100k would be more suitable to meet the goals (handing out all visas and have a balanced workload by KCC).

Previous draws have been 5k to 10k. I can see that being needed on the same logic you just mentioned. However, people should not plan their like around that since it is such a small amount of people (in one sense, less "chance" than being selected in the first group).

less "chance" than being selected in the first group.
That's for sure!
Yet in case there was going to be a second draw (dv2016), what month would that happen, do you know?
The concept of a second draw was never on my radar, just that one re-draw of the botched DV lottery (2012?).
However, it IS now on my radar because my wife and I both had the nasty NS message slap us into our faces, it came right through our computer screen tonight...:confused:

That's for sure!
Yet in case there was going to be a second draw (dv2016), what month would that happen, do you know?
The concept of a second draw was never on my radar, just that one re-draw of the botched DV lottery (2012?).
However, it IS now on my radar because my wife and I both had the nasty NS message slap us into our faces, it came right through our computer screen tonight...:confused:

I'm sory to hear that:( Are you both chargeable to the OC region? The chances are a little better...

Edit: just read up-thread that you're German. Raises the odds a bit, sadly.

Last edited:
That's for sure!

I hesitate to put the 2nd draw on anyones radar.

1. I don't KNOW it will happen
2. I don't KNOW when
3. Although I don't KNOW how many there would be it is reasonable to assume it would be small - so lets think 5 to 10k. That is around 10% of the first draw - so that means 1/10th the chance - 1 in 1000. (In fact each case has the same chance as the first 84k, but I am trying to make a point).

My point is - I don't mean for anyone to spend a few months obsessing about the 2nd draw...

I'm sory to hear that:( Are you both chargeable to the OC region? The chances are a little better...
Thanks. Nope, EU region where we were both born and lived until moving out to AU in 2001. Then we returned to EU in 2011, now back in AU (it's been a few months since we are back and are finding it rather challenging). We are currently torn between two world regions, EU and AU, we have family only in EU (which was one reason we had moved back in 2011).

Thanks. Nope, EU region where we were both born and lived until moving out to AU in 2001. Then we returned to EU in 2011, now back in AU (it's been a few months since we are back and are finding it rather challenging). We are currently torn between two world regions, EU and AU, we have family only in EU (which was one reason we had moved back in 2011).

I'd definitely find Australia challenging after Germany. It always makes my heart sink when I get into a cab at Sydney airport and hear one of our politicians start talking on the radio. *shudder*

I'd definitely find Australia challenging after Germany. It always makes my heart sink when I get into a cab at Sydney airport and hear one of our politicians start talking on the radio. *shudder*

Yep. We actually had plans of settling in Sydney. So we explored the option of living there once we landed (early Feb), and everything just seemed so difficult right from start...especially the astronomical rents and house prices, grocery, food, public transport...we knew it would be expensive, but it has gotten so much worse! I checked the whole Internet incl. Facebook groups, it seems people are sharing houses with many people at ridiculous costs per week for each room. But we could not even find any, to start with. Too much competition from international students, backpackers and...locals. Now we are back in BNE...very close to CBD and right on the river, but even here everything seems so much more expensive compared to even those couple of years ago. After reading a lot recently, I am actually not that optimistic about Australia's future in general. Things have changed from 2011. I'm not keen on Germany's weather, but I am not keen on Brisbane super hot summers, either. It is just perfect right now, though. Who knows, maybe we'll be moving to Berlin or somewhere else. I think I am always going to be just restless!

Yep. We actually had plans of settling in Sydney. So we explored the option of living there once we landed (early Feb), and everything just seemed so difficult right from start...especially the astronomical rents and house prices, grocery, food, public transport...we knew it would be expensive, but it has gotten so much worse! I checked the whole Internet incl. Facebook groups, it seems people are sharing houses with many people at ridiculous costs per week for each room. But we could not even find any, to start with. Too much competition from international students, backpackers and...locals. Now we are back in BNE...very close to CBD and right on the river, but even here everything seems so much more expensive compared to even those couple of years ago. After reading a lot recently, I am actually not that optimistic about Australia's future in general. Things have changed from 2011. I'm not keen on Germany's weather, but I am not keen on Brisbane super hot summers, either. It is just perfect right now, though. Who knows, maybe we'll be moving to Berlin or somewhere else. I think I am always going to be just restless!

But it's this exactly that makes humans human :) We all want different things, even the same people want different things at different times in their lives. And so there is a significant part of humankind constantly on the move, whether migration-wise, education-wise, career-wise, family-wise or whatever; and so civilisation develops :) And I don't think anyone ever discovered anything amazing by just sitting at the same home year in year out watching TV :)

But it's this exactly that makes humans human :) We all want different things, even the same people want different things at different times in their lives. And so there is a significant part of humankind constantly on the move, whether migration-wise, education-wise, career-wise, family-wise or whatever; and so civilisation develops :) And I don't think anyone ever discovered anything amazing by just sitting at the same home year in year out watching TV :)

That is SO true, Susie! All our family (and most friends back in GER) have a completely different mindset to ours...they have been living in the same address for most of their lives...do the same job at the same places, both our parents are now retired but would not travel..and generally we can tell that they think local, not global. The difference in mindset and awareness levels could not have been more striking.
Regarding TV....we have decided not to even buy a TV here....there is one in the Gym downstairs in our building and I think I have switched it on only once so far...I think I spend more time switching back and forth between channels then I ended up working out!

Congratulations - you're in @guestgulkan territory!

If we didn't get the green card, we were looking at moving to Brisbane! It was a toss up between that and Sydney. We spent a bit of time in Sydney, but agree the prices are crazy. I mean Perth isn't the cheapest City either but we wanted a change. Luckily for us its a whole new country. Which is scary in itself!

I thought I might "borrow" @EmilyW's great idea from the OC2015 thread and keep an updated list of all the winners from OC2016 so we can keep tabs on one another. If I've missed anyone, let me know! And if you'd like to be added post away. Hopefully we'll get more winners rocking up in the coming weeks. :)

Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
violetion - 3xx (AUS)
Puneet Satyawan - 5xx
s362596 - 5xx (AUS)
Teyliana - 6xx (AUS)
eskimokisses - 8xx (AUS)
connectedspace - 9xx (AUS)
Cogger - ??? (AUS)