• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hi all, just thought I'd drop by the forums and let you all know I didn't get selected for DV2106 (other Oceania thread locked).
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all their forum posts, I know I haven't posted much but it's been interesting and helpful just reading through the threads and learning from others.
Best of luck to those that were selected, and fingers crossed for better luck for me in DV2017!
I will be filling out the application in October for DV2017 and as I'm under 30, moving on to Plan B, heading over to the UK on a youth mobility visa in November/December. I've never been to Europe before, so it will be an interesting experience!
Thanks again to all of you, and I'll still pop by on the odd occasion to read up on how everyone is doing!

Best of luck! London is awesome and Scotland in particular is beautiful. Just don't call the English 'European' in front of them...

If they are not on your birth certificate, you can leave the parent details out I think (wiser heads will correct me if I'm wrong).

And don't stop asking questions. Poor @Britsimon had me asking him questions every single day. :) Anything that helps us to be confident of our application going into interview is a good thing.

I'll definitely be that person this year, don't worry!

I'll have to investigate this issue it seems - I don't even know why they want to know about our parents. They want everything! :D

Please forgive my ignorance but what do you guys mean by the term "current"? For example "2013 - 105k entrants in total - OC went current in September".

Sorry for asking such a trivial question.

Please forgive my ignorance but what do you guys mean by the term "current"? For example "2013 - 105k entrants in total - OC went current in September".

Sorry for asking such a trivial question.

Not a trivial question -- this process is rife with jargon. It's all civil-service-speak and we've picked it up.

'Current' means two things. First, when we say a 'case number is current', it means that number is ready to be called up for interview by a consulate. In essence, they've got up to your place in the queue. It's a good place to be.

Second, when the Visa Bulletin says a region is 'CURRENT', it means they have enough visas left for all the remaining cases, so they've opened the gates. So the phrase 'OC went current in September' means that in that year, nobody missed out on an interview because their case number was too high. By September, everyone had a shot.

Does that clear it up somewhat?

Okay yet another question - can applications get rejected based on the DS260 alone? Or is it the consular officers call at the interview? Like if there's an inconsistency/something "interesting" about your application (like this parent dilemma I have) would you have the opportunity to explain it at the interview if to came up? Hopefully all that makes sense haha.

Okay yet another question - can applications get rejected based on the DS260 alone? Or is it the consular officers call at the interview? Like if there's an inconsistency/something "interesting" about your application (like this parent dilemma I have) would you have the opportunity to explain it at the interview if to came up? Hopefully all that makes sense haha.

Only a consular officer can decide, though kcc will flag the entry if it sees something that looks questionable.

Re the parents question , helps determine who you are (remember many people have the same names). And citizens can sponsor parents for green cards.

But I guarantee you will not be the first entrant with an unknown parent.

Only a consular officer can decide, though kcc will flag the entry if it sees something that looks questionable.

Re the parents question , helps determine who you are (remember many people have the same names). And citizens can sponsor parents for green cards.

But I guarantee you will not be the first entrant with an unknown parent.

Thanks for your help, all of you! That all makes sense. :) Yeah my only concern is just I think I may have put "unknown" for this parent in my first DS160 and then named them in my second DS160 when I had student visas in the US, but I just can't remember for sure so I just don't know what to put down for this DS260. Hopefully either way it shouldn't cause a problem if I have the chance to explain it to the consular officer in the off chance that it could come up.

Interesting. DoS are having a Q&A on Facebook. When asked about the 85,000 reduced selectees, the response was:
We have not released the total number of selectees. However, there is greater interest in the DV program every year, so more people are pursuing their applications through to completion. Also, we have made technical changes to the program, such as the introduction of the DS-260 application form, which has streamlined processing for applicants and the Department.

Sadly though, there was also the response:
We have not released the total number of selectees. In the coming days, we expect to have all the data prepared for public release. We do not expect a need for a second draw.

Interesting. DoS are having a Q&A on Facebook. When asked about the 85,000 reduced selectees, the response was:

Right, this makes sense. They're seeing far greater uptake in 2015 than before, so they figure they can draw 84000 people and get the same outcome as a draw of 100000+ in previous years.

I'll be very interested to see the max CN vs. number of selectees for each region. Especially this one!

Sadly though, there was also the response:

I'm confused as to why he says they have not released the total number when it was on the selection letters.
Although... I do recall at least once before when the actual number they published in the next VB was higher than what was in the 1NLs.

Right, this makes sense. They're seeing far greater uptake in 2015 than before, so they figure they can draw 84000 people and get the same outcome as a draw of 100000+ in previous years.

I'll be very interested to see the max CN vs. number of selectees for each region. Especially this one!

Yep - all they need is 50K visas.
Which implies that they expect the response rate for both DS submission and arriving at interviews to be quite a bit higher than in previous years.

I'll definitely be that person this year, don't worry!

I'll have to investigate this issue it seems - I don't even know why they want to know about our parents. They want everything! :D

KCC won't help - that is not their job nor expertise.

One reason the process asks for parents is the possibility of sponsoring parents later (after citizenship), but it also establishes your "line" and so on.

So - it is no problem to leave one parent blank (as you should to match the birth cert). However, if you ever want to sponsor that parent you would have to establish the relationship via a DNA test. However, for now, no issues. Go ahead with one parent.

Yep - all they need is 50K visas.
Which implies that they expect the response rate for both DS submission and arriving at interviews to be quite a bit higher than in previous years.

Yeah that is possible although it is a dramatic and clumsy response to what they are seeing. We must remember, the draw was conducted some time ago - so if they are reacting to DV2015 learning it is "old" news. I think the DS260 could be producing more no shows which might be confusing KCC, and that might have factored in to their decision.

I suspect 84K is too few however - so despite their comments I tend to think there could be a small 2nd draw (reveal).

Yeah that is possible although it is a dramatic and clumsy response to what they are seeing. We must remember, the draw was conducted some time ago - so if they are reacting to DV2015 learning it is "old" news. I think the DS260 could be producing more no shows which might be confusing KCC, and that might have factored in to their decision.

I suspect 84K is too few however - so despite their comments I tend to think there could be a small 2nd draw (reveal).
Could you clarify more Simon if possible by no show you mean those who have filled out and submitted eform ds260 (no cost, less complicated, etc...) but actually have not followed through? and KCC lowerd numbers of selectees with that in mind?

By the way since I absolutely trust your judgment, in case of dv2016 what would you say chances of a secound round are going to be (most likely by Oct?) ?

Thank you very much in advance

Could you clarify more Simon if possible by no show you mean those who have filled out and submitted eform ds260 (no cost, less complicated, etc...) but actually have not followed through? and KCC lowerd numbers of selectees with that in mind?

By the way since I absolutely trust your judgment, in case of dv2016 what would you say chances of a secound round are going to be (most likely by Oct?) ?

Thank you very much in advance

Yep that is what I mean by no show and the DS260 causes the effects you list. Easy to apply - expensive and hard to show up. This is mostly an AF impact...

Chance of (SMALL) second draw? About 40%. (Total plucked out of the air number).

Hi Britsimon.

I have been lurking here for a while before deciding to sign up. First of all, thanks for keeping our hopes high during the trying times of STO's. I have a CN of 5xx for OC. When can I expect a realistic date for interview if I submit DS260 within this or next week?
Can I start applying for jobs in US now , or do I have to wait until I have the Visa on hand (post-interview)?

KCC won't help - that is not their job nor expertise.

One reason the process asks for parents is the possibility of sponsoring parents later (after citizenship), but it also establishes your "line" and so on.

So - it is no problem to leave one parent blank (as you should to match the birth cert). However, if you ever want to sponsor that parent you would have to establish the relationship via a DNA test. However, for now, no issues. Go ahead with one parent.

Thank you! I'll go ahead and leave it blank then. Appreciate the help. :)