• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Thank you.

I was wondering how does getting married after selection affect the process? My partner and I were planning to get married and have been living together for a few years. Would it matter if we got married after the visa was granted or is there some reason to expedite it due to being selected. Not trying to game the system just was wondering of the implications. Thanks.

My Wife and I where also in this situation last year. We had a wedding planned in January of this year and got the news in may of 2014 that we were were selected, with a low CN (1XX). So we decided to quickly get married in July, just the two of us! we then filled in our DS-260 after we got married and handed it in August 2014. Even with a low CN we didn't get scheduled for an interview until February 2015. We did it this way so we didn't have to unlock the DS-260 at all. When we went to the interview there was no issue at all. We even had new passports and everything for both of us with different numbers! We got our GC and he didn't even ask a question. However this is our experience and the officer could ask a lot of questions. We had a heap of backup information incase we did get asked. Plus the wife is pregnant with our first child so that also helped to seal the deal!

You definitely need to get married before you get your interview if you want your partner to come with you.

Hi Britsimon.

I have been lurking here for a while before deciding to sign up. First of all, thanks for keeping our hopes high during the trying times of STO's. I have a CN of 5xx for OC. When can I expect a realistic date for interview if I submit DS260 within this or next week?
Can I start applying for jobs in US now , or do I have to wait until I have the Visa on hand (post-interview)?

Nothing's to stop you applying for jobs, and there have been a couple of people who've found jobs before their interviews, but you're more likely than not to find a total lack of interest until you actually have a green card.

Not a trivial question -- this process is rife with jargon. It's all civil-service-speak and we've picked it up.

'Current' means two things. First, when we say a 'case number is current', it means that number is ready to be called up for interview by a consulate. In essence, they've got up to your place in the queue. It's a good place to be.

Second, when the Visa Bulletin says a region is 'CURRENT', it means they have enough visas left for all the remaining cases, so they've opened the gates. So the phrase 'OC went current in September' means that in that year, nobody missed out on an interview because their case number was too high. By September, everyone had a shot.

Does that clear it up somewhat?

Yes it does thanks very much for that.

Yeah that is possible although it is a dramatic and clumsy response to what they are seeing. We must remember, the draw was conducted some time ago - so if they are reacting to DV2015 learning it is "old" news. I think the DS260 could be producing more no shows which might be confusing KCC, and that might have factored in to their decision.

I suspect 84K is too few however - so despite their comments I tend to think there could be a small 2nd draw (reveal).

So, just to clarify, KCC thinks that there is a much higher response rate and that's skewed the department of state's decision? Because if that no-show thing is accurate, then 84,000 is far, far too low a number.

Just out of curiosity - what happens with the DS260 once it's been submitted? Is it just the sheer volume of applications that make the processing time so long or does it go through checks, etc? And does it have to be re-processed if hypothetically we need to unlock it and edit it?

Just out of curiosity - what happens with the DS260 once it's been submitted? Is it just the sheer volume of applications that make the processing time so long or does it go through checks, etc? And does it have to be re-processed if hypothetically we need to unlock it and edit it?

I think the answer to the second question is 'no'. The answer to the first question needs smarter heads than mine.

I've always imagined a Kafkaesque bureaucratic nightmare, complete with steam-belching machines that do nothing and dead-eyed clerks putting papers on each other's desks to be stamped in triplicate.

I am a selectee this year and have been planing a few things if all goes well. Have a question regarding the green card itself. Once I recieve the green card and Im living and working in the US is it possible to then work in canada for a period of time (5-6 months). Im an aussie and always wanted to do a winter season at whistler? Would this affect my green card in anyway or would it infact help? Big thanks in advance to the ppl helping everyone on these forums. U know who u are! Its much appreciated!

I think the answer to the second question is 'no'. The answer to the first question needs smarter heads than mine.

I've always imagined a Kafkaesque bureaucratic nightmare, complete with steam-belching machines that do nothing and dead-eyed clerks putting papers on each other's desks to be stamped in triplicate.

Actually, I believe the answer to the 2nd question should be "it depends". If one unlocks the form to add a new name which wasn't previously listed, KCC will need to conduct a new background check, assuming a previous background check has already been carried out. Same thing if the form was unlocked to add a spouse.

Actually, I believe the answer to the 2nd question should be "it depends". If one unlocks the form to add a new name which wasn't previously listed, KCC will need to conduct a new background check, assuming a previous background check has already been carried out. Same thing if the form was unlocked to add a spouse.

Good point.

Hmm, for the previous addresses - Simon's guide says not to include any holidays, but the previous times I was in the US I was on an F1 visa and lived in student accommodation for 6-8 weeks. Would these addresses need to be something I should include anyway, or just leave them out?

Good to know, thank you. :)

Thanks for the response to my first post. I have another question:
OC selectees are from obviously different countries - Aust, NZ, Fiji, PNG, etc. How do the interviews work for different countries? For instance, let's say person X from Sydney, Aust, got a CN of 400 and person Y from Fiji got a CN of 600 (which is the lowest CN from all of Fiji). Since these two people would be having their interviews in different locations, is there a possibility that the CN of 600 from Fiji will get his/her interview before the CN of 400 from Aust? Or is the interview schedule strictly based on the Visa Bulletin?

Based on the VB. Your interview will only be scheduled when your number becomes current. They schedule interviews based on how many visas are available in the region and work through the cases chronologically.

There is the chance that, once current, some numbers interview before others. I know I interviewed before people who had numbers ahead of mine. But we were still all current.