• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

I thought I might "borrow" @EmilyW's great idea from the OC2015 thread and keep an updated list of all the winners from OC2016 so we can keep tabs on one another. If I've missed anyone, let me know! And if you'd like to be added post away. Hopefully we'll get more winners rocking up in the coming weeks. :)

Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
violetion - 3xx (AUS)
Puneet Satyawan - 5xx
s362596 - 5xx (AUS)
Teyliana - 6xx (AUS)
eskimokisses - 8xx (AUS)
connectedspace - 9xx (AUS)
Cogger - ??? (AUS)

All those numbers a so low. Not a single 1xxx number. Makes you wonder if they haven't made another selection booboo.

All those numbers a so low. Not a single 1xxx number. Makes you wonder if they haven't made another selection booboo.

It is very suss!

If we didn't get the green card, we were looking at moving to Brisbane! It was a toss up between that and Sydney. We spent a bit of time in Sydney, but agree the prices are crazy. I mean Perth isn't the cheapest City either but we wanted a change. Luckily for us its a whole new country. Which is scary in itself!

I'm fourth generation Sydney. Parents, grandparents, great-grandparents all from the East, Inner-West and North. I actually owned and lived in an apartment in the inner city at one stage, but sold it a couple of years back because I'm so bearish on the future of the place. If I didn't have parental help (the better term is 'inherited bourgeois privilege'), there's no way I could have done it. As it is, my wife and I are share-housing to keep a lid on costs (ha!) and sending all our investment money offshore.

Frankly, Sydney is simply too expensive for what it is: a third-tier backwater city. NYC is expensive because it's a centre of innovation, learning, arts and commerce. Sydney is expensive because it's the only place with middle-management jobs for a thousand kilometres in any direction. It boasts a few outposts of global conglomerates, some banks whose books are padded with inflated home mortgages, and that's about it. No culture of innovation, no risk-taking (unless it involves real estate) and a vacuum of good writers.

Most of my peers from university and high school have moved to NYC, SF or London. Those that stayed in Sydney are servicing gigantic ($1.5M+) mortgages and have popped out a few kids, so they might as well live on Mars. Getting kinda lonely, to be honest.

Yep, it's going to be very interesting to see how this pans out. It made me wonder whether they've ever selected such a low number before, but I couldn't find the # of selectees from years prior to 2012 on the DoS website. Has the response rate really increased that much? I mean, I've already read a few stories on here from people who know other people that just entered for the hell of it and don't have any intention of going through with it.

I thought I might "borrow" @EmilyW's great idea from the OC2015 thread and keep an updated list of all the winners from OC2016 so we can keep tabs on one another. If I've missed anyone, let me know! And if you'd like to be added post away. Hopefully we'll get more winners rocking up in the coming weeks. :)

Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
violetion - 3xx (AUS)
Puneet Satyawan - 5xx
s362596 - 5xx (AUS)
Teyliana - 6xx (AUS)
eskimokisses - 8xx (AUS)
Cogger - ??? (AUS)

BTW, I am from Fiji.

Yep, it's going to be very interesting to see how this pans out. It made me wonder whether they've ever selected such a low number before, but I couldn't find the # of selectees from years prior to 2012 on the DoS website. Has the response rate really increased that much? I mean, I've already read a few stories on here from people who know other people that just entered for the hell of it and don't have any intention of going through with it.

They selected 82K for DV2007. You can read it in the August 2006 bulletin, if I recall correctly. But I want to know the same thing. Why so low this year? Simon thinks it's because they're overreacting to DV2014, and I guess he could be right. The best theory for that sad tale was the 140K raw was an overreaction to DV2012.

My own theory is that the response rate has risen dramatically due to the DS260 online form. But it's still early days and there could yet be another draw.

They selected 82K for DV2007. You can read it in the August 2006 bulletin, if I recall correctly. But I want to know the same thing. Why so low this year? Simon thinks it's because they're overreacting to DV2014, and I guess he could be right. The best theory for that sad tale was the 140K raw was an overreaction to DV2012.

My own theory is that the response rate has risen dramatically due to the DS260 online form. But it's still early days and there could yet be another draw.

I think it us a combination of the two things. If there has been a big increase in responses, it might lead to more visas being claimed, but some more now shows too. But, if the 84k is right, they have screwed up...

BTW, I am from Fiji.

Cheers! I'll update that.

Interesting that in 2007 OC cases 1800+ went current. There must be a lot of variables at play with how many cases there are, but from what we've seen so far it seems there can't be 1800+ cases this year. Looking forward to some stats coming out soon for more info. But I suppose it's much better for them to under-select with possibility of a second draw than the reverse.

Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
violetion - 3xx (AUS)
Puneet Satyawan - 5xx
s362596 - 5xx (AUS)
Teyliana - 6xx (AUS)
eskimokisses - 8xx (AUS)
Cogger - ??? (AUS)

I can't take the credit for the spreadsheet. That was @Sm1smom's idea!

Happy for you 2016ers to also copy across the other documents in our Dropbox. Specifically, I have the checklists that Sydney ask you to use to organise your documents for the interview. They are in the original PDF format and I've converted them into Word (one of the staff at the Consulate said 'Wow, these are tidy' when they saw our typed out checklists) and a few other bits of correspondence that Sydney use. They just help demistify the process. :)

I am currently filling out my ds-260 and have the question"Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. law?" I Have had shots in the past but have no documentation. It is ok to select no and leave a comment. Or should I wait and get the necessary shots?

I am currently filling out my ds-260 and have the question"Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. law?" I Have had shots in the past but have no documentation. It is ok to select no and leave a comment. Or should I wait and get the necessary shots?

I chose 'no' with the caveat 'I will obtain all vaccinations deemed necessary to comply with requirements.'

I Have just submitted my ds-260. I am a lil confused on when/where I will get this 2NL? can some please clarify? tyia

You will get the 2NL once your case number is current. Processing for DV2016 does not begin until 1 October 2015. DV2015 is still processing and will continue to do so until 30 September 2015.

What is your case number? Don't give the whole number. Just a 3xx or 4xx will do. We can then compare to previous years and let you know when you might be interviewing (you get the 2NL six weeks beforehand).

Based on previous years, you are likely to interview in October. So you will get your 2NL in August. The same place where you checked your entry is where your 2NL will be once your case goes current.

Don't forget that if they have created a draw that has around 1000 CNs for DV2016 then CN progression could be slower than this year.

I finally understood the VB progression this year - so I now see that early high starts are due to the lack of processed cases as opposed to the excitement they create thining it means they will finish high. So - if DS260 processing backlogs mean low number cases are not ready for scheduling in August, then the early VB needs to start high.