• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Well there aren't very many of us this time around. Simon, I can recommend running as a cure for beer bellies. No need to starve yourself in front of a monitor.

Well there aren't very many of us this time around. Simon, I can recommend running as a cure for beer bellies. No need to starve yourself in front of a monitor.

Haha - actually I hate running - but I am cycling to work these days and that is quite a good workout (7.6 miles each way)

Haha - actually I hate running - but I am cycling to work these days and that is quite a good workout (7.6 miles each way)

Excellent! You'll look like your twitter avatar in no time :D

And you can do that cos NorCal awesome weather, yada yada :D

Meanwhile, the real riders just get on with it...

7fdc4aa4-e2c5-4111-9247-a066f5999238_800.jpg

I hesitate to put the 2nd draw on anyones radar.

1. I don't KNOW it will happen
2. I don't KNOW when
3. Although I don't KNOW how many there would be it is reasonable to assume it would be small - so lets think 5 to 10k. That is around 10% of the first draw - so that means 1/10th the chance - 1 in 1000. (In fact each case has the same chance as the first 84k, but I am trying to make a point).

My point is - I don't mean for anyone to spend a few months obsessing about the 2nd draw...
Simon, hope I get in then

As my CN is "low" and my Interview will most likely be Oct/Nov does anybody know if my visa is approved am I able to Extend the period in which I have to enter the US. I think you get 6 months I would like 8 if possible??

@Cogger, there is no extension of the initial visa date. You will get six months from the time of your medical to enter and validate the visa. After that, you can come back home for up to 12 months (unless you get a reentry permit for a longer period) without being deemed to have abandoned your residency (albeit you still have to fulfil the requirements of residency, such as filing tax returns).

If you don't enter and validate within the six months, you lose the GC. No appeals. No waivers. All over.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double up I mistakenly posted in OC2015 thread....

Quick question about the dates in the DV 260 for things like schooling, do you have to know the exact date you commenced at the school and date finished, or is an estimate suitable? ie. we know the month and around the time of the month and year, but say don't know the actual date ie. like day you started Year 8.....it was awhile ago lol!

As my CN is "low" and my Interview will most likely be Oct/Nov does anybody know if my visa is approved am I able to Extend the period in which I have to enter the US. I think you get 6 months I would like 8 if possible??

As far as I know it's impossible to delay your entry date once you've been approved.

However, if you wish to delay your entry, you can hold off submission of your DS-260, as I did this year. I would have been interviewed in September if I'd submitted my DS-260 on time, instead my interview is next month.

@Cogger, there is no extension of the initial visa date. You will get six months from the time of your medical to enter and validate the visa. After that, you can come back home for up to 12 months (unless you get a reentry permit for a longer period) without being deemed to have abandoned your residency (albeit you still have to fulfil the requirements of residency, such as filing tax returns).

If you don't enter and validate within the six months, you lose the GC. No appeals. No waivers. All over.

I have one question regarding this post...

I understand that the address I put on the DS-260 is the address that my physical Green Card will be sent to. In the meantime, I merely need to enter the US within the 6 month window after my visa is granted. After I have entered, I can come back to Aus, but must return within 12 months unless I get a reentry permit. So my question is if I have left the US and my Green Card arrives at the address I nominated (family member). Can I get them to post it to me and then use it when I reenter the US? Will there be any issues if didn't use it to leave the country?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have one question regarding this post...

I understand that the address I put on the DS-260 is the address that my physical Green Card will be sent to. In the meantime, I merely need to enter the US within the 6 month window after my visa is granted. After I have entered, I can come back to Aus, but must return within 12 months unless I get a reentry permit. So my question is if I have left the US and my Green Card arrives at the address I nominated (family member). Can I get them to post it to me and then use it when I reenter the US? Will there be any issues if didn't use it to leave the country?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, once I have entered the US and 'validated' my visa, will that automatically trigger the processing, creation and posting of my physical Green Card? Or will I need to do something else?

And, in terms of 'validating' my Green Card, will it be problematic if I go to Hawaii, even though the address I listed on my DS-260 was in NY?

Sorry to spam with so many questions, my mind has been going into overdrive since I saw I was 'selected'!!

However, if you wish to delay your entry, you can hold off submission of your DS-260, as I did this year. I would have been interviewed in September if I'd submitted my DS-260 on time, instead my interview is next month.

Your interview couldn't have been in September, new FY starts in October :rolleyes: