• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

I have one question regarding this post...

I understand that the address I put on the DS-260 is the address that my physical Green Card will be sent to. In the meantime, I merely need to enter the US within the 6 month window after my visa is granted. After I have entered, I can come back to Aus, but must return within 12 months unless I get a reentry permit. So my question is if I have left the US and my Green Card arrives at the address I nominated (family member). Can I get them to post it to me and then use it when I reenter the US? Will there be any issues if didn't use it to leave the country?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes you can leave the U.S. before the physical GC is received and your family members can use a trusted service to mail it to you. You don't use the GC to leave the U.S., you only need it to get back into the country.

Also, once I have entered the US and 'validated' my visa, will that automatically trigger the processing, creation and posting of my physical Green Card? Or will I need to do something else?

And, in terms of 'validating' my Green Card, will it be problematic if I go to Hawaii, even though the address I listed on my DS-260 was in NY?

Sorry to spam with so many questions, my mind has been going into overdrive since I saw I was 'selected'!!

Yes
No - Most states don't have major international airports.

We welcome questions!

Also, once I have entered the US and 'validated' my visa, will that automatically trigger the processing, creation and posting of my physical Green Card? Or will I need to do something else?

And, in terms of 'validating' my Green Card, will it be problematic if I go to Hawaii, even though the address I listed on my DS-260 was in NY?

Sorry to spam with so many questions, my mind has been going into overdrive since I saw I was 'selected'!!

Entering the U.S. alone will not trigger the production of the GC if you haven't made the $165 GC payment. But if you've made the payment before your activation trip, then the production process gets triggered when you enter.

Yes, you can enter from Hawaii, Guam, or any other POE that catches your fancy regardless of the address listed on the DS form. Of course, the GC will still go to the listed address unless you change it during your interview or at your POE.

As my CN is "low" and my Interview will most likely be Oct/Nov does anybody know if my visa is approved am I able to Extend the period in which I have to enter the US. I think you get 6 months I would like 8 if possible??

Simple. DElay your DS260 processing. Don't submit it for a while or if you have submitted it unlock it and leave it unlocked until you have caused enough delay. No risk in that...

Yep. We actually had plans of settling in Sydney. So we explored the option of living there once we landed (early Feb), and everything just seemed so difficult right from start...especially the astronomical rents and house prices, grocery, food, public transport...we knew it would be expensive, but it has gotten so much worse! I checked the whole Internet incl. Facebook groups, it seems people are sharing houses with many people at ridiculous costs per week for each room. But we could not even find any, to start with. Too much competition from international students, backpackers and...locals. Now we are back in BNE...very close to CBD and right on the river, but even here everything seems so much more expensive compared to even those couple of years ago. After reading a lot recently, I am actually not that optimistic about Australia's future in general. Things have changed from 2011. I'm not keen on Germany's weather, but I am not keen on Brisbane super hot summers, either. It is just perfect right now, though. Who knows, maybe we'll be moving to Berlin or somewhere else. I think I am always going to be just restless!
very much like nz, thinks so expensive here, we are 3 people in my family, my toddler is 1bout 17 months old and I;'
The 2nd draw seems less likely now we know there were 91.5k selectees. That is the 5 to 10k I was expecting above the 84k.
there seems to be a small number that has just been selected, don't you think. it was 84,000 now there seems to be 91,000. Have the new selectees been notified or are they waiting for July-October month?

very much like nz, thinks so expensive here, we are 3 people in my family, my toddler is 1bout 17 months old and I;'

there seems to be a small number that has just been selected, don't you think. it was 84,000 now there seems to be 91,000. Have the new selectees been notified or are they waiting for July-October month?
this number seems relatively small compared to that of 2013-2014 and of 2014-2015 respectively, so what seems to be the reason behind this? is it that they want to process things faster before elections or may be they are looking for away of terminating dv lottery in the coming years

this number seems relatively small compared to that of 2013-2014 and of 2014-2015 respectively, so what seems to be the reason behind this? is it that they want to process things faster before elections or may be they are looking for away of terminating dv lottery in the coming years
These high numbers were over and above ensuring the visa quota would be reached, an overreaction to the botched 2012 DV lottery where the initial draw had to be redone...yet I assume back then many people who had already received their NOT SELECTED status, might not have even learned that there was a redraw, so response rates would have gone down, resulting in not all visas allocated in that year. In the FOLLOWING year/s they then upped the ante and selected well above what was needed to ensure no visa went back on the shelf to attract dust...

They probably gathered enough data in 2013 and 2014 to indicate they don't need as many selectees anymore. Some other factors could be for instance response rates from certain regions, not meeting the requirements from other regions, etc.

Last edited:
Some advice for filling out the occupation section of the dv 260 please!

The drop down selection of occupations is quite broad. Eg government, computer science etc technically our occupations could come under several of the categories.
So is it better to choose "0ther" and then put your profession in or is it better to be more under their general categories?

I just don't want yo do the wrong thing! Help please :)

Some advice for filling out the occupation section of the dv 260 please!

The drop down selection of occupations is quite broad. Eg government, computer science etc technically our occupations could come under several of the categories.
So is it better to choose "0ther" and then put your profession in or is it better to be more under their general categories?

I just don't want yo do the wrong thing! Help please :)

Just pick a category and move on - that is not going to make any difference to your application.

Here's how our list is shaping up so far:

Cogger - 1xx (AUS)
Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
DV2016LOST - 2xx (AUS)
violetion - 3xx (AUS)
Puneet Satyawan - 5xx (FIJI)
s362596 - 5xx (AUS)
MelbourneBen - 6xx (AUS)
Teyliana - 6xx (AUS)
eskimokisses - 8xx (AUS)
connectedspace - 9xx (AUS)

Just pick a category and move on - that is not going to make any difference to your application.

Thanks Britsimon :)
Another question, do Green card holders have to be labor certified before we can legally work in the US? So once we enter and have activated GC and gotten SSN we would still need to get Labor certified?
So is it correct that we select Yes for the question about entering to perform skilled or unskilled work but have not yet been certified by Secretary of Labor? This question confuses me! How do you get certified?

Thanks Britsimon :)
Another question, do Green card holders have to be labor certified before we can legally work in the US? So once we enter and have activated GC and gotten SSN we would still need to get Labor certified?
So is it correct that we select Yes for the question about entering to perform skilled or unskilled work but have not yet been certified by Secretary of Labor? This question confuses me! How do you get certified?

DV applicants do not need labor certification (so the most honest answer to that one is yes).

Ok DS260 submitted for our family of 4. Now the waiting :)
Waiting is the hardest bit. You don't know what to do with your life. If your pretty certain that you will get accepted then you can start to slowly make small plans. For us we were 50/50. So we couldn't really plan the next few years of our lives until we had he interview. Luckily we were accepted so now we are off to sunny texas at the end of the year

Waiting is the hardest bit. You don't know what to do with your life. If your pretty certain that you will get accepted then you can start to slowly make small plans. For us we were 50/50. So we couldn't really plan the next few years of our lives until we had he interview. Luckily we were accepted so now we are off to sunny texas at the end of the year

I am kind of glad there is a bit of a wait in terms of for a family there is alot to prepare and organise if we do eventually move. We are really hoping that the big move happens for us but we have a back up plan as well :) Both involve moving so anything we do between now and then works towards that ! I guess now we are at least another step closer :)

We have just been looking at Texas as a possible location, where in Texas are you moving to Hershal?