• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

What about emergency AP? Once your I-485 is filed, if you can show a good enough reason that you need to return to your home country, you can pay to file an expedited request for AP at your FO, which would allow you to leave the country with a pending I-485. I have no idea if your situation will be considered urgent enough to get the emergency AP approved, though. And this will probably mean you loose all possibility of returning in F1 status and using your OPT in the future, because you'd have to return into the country as an advance parolee.

What do you think Mom?

I feel what I think about pursuing this doesn't really matter, the OP can give it a shot if she thinks it's worth it. The truth is having an approved AP card (be it an expedited or a regularly approved one) doesn't guarantee re-admission back into the U.S., admission is still at the discretion of the IO at the POE. Plus getting an expedited AP approval is not as easy as it sounds. And like you rightly noted, if admitted back and for some reason the AOS petition is denied, she obviously can't revert back to her OPT status.

Hi Mom,
KCC has finally sent our case file to local USCIS FO last Friday (36 days after receiving a request). How much time does it normally takes to reach USCIS FO? when do you think should I bug them about the case?

My passport came, so I should have everything for my interview on the 25th! I'll make a list of things I'm bringing to the interview maybe next week to ask if I'm forgetting something, but in principle it should be the same stuff I sent in the application, but in original, right?

Remove the I-94 is a standard practice especially when the IO is convinced the petition will be approved (some forget to remove/collect the I-94 though), nothing to worry about.

Relax! There's no rule that says the case must be approved immediately following the interview or in no more than 24 hours. Obviously, the IO has shown an indication of approving the case with the collection of the I-94, I however wouldn't be surprised if he decided to review the case again on his own since it's his first DV case like you stated, hence the delay. You're through with the major part of the process. Exercise some patience.
Thank you Mom @Sm1smom . You're right. I should try to be more patient. It's just that the way he talked after the interview, made us think he'll approve us very soon. How long do you think we should wait before scheduling an Infopass?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Hi Mom,
KCC has finally sent our case file to local USCIS FO last Friday (36 days after receiving a request). How much time does it normally takes to reach USCIS FO? when do you think should I bug them about the case?

That's good. I have no idea how long it typically takes for the file to get to the FO, the 36 days delay is highly unusual though. Anyway, you can give your FO about 1 month before paying them another visit if the GC hasn't been received by then.

My passport came, so I should have everything for my interview on the 25th! I'll make a list of things I'm bringing to the interview maybe next week to ask if I'm forgetting something, but in principle it should be the same stuff I sent in the application, but in original, right?

Glad to know the new passport made it in. Yes the original copies of everything sent and any other document you can think of that could be asked for.

Thank you Mom @Sm1smom . You're right. I should try to be more patient. It's just that the way he talked after the interview, made us think he'll approve us very soon. How long do you think we should wait before scheduling an Infopass?

Thanks so much for your help :)

Wait about 1 month at least.

I'm sorry your ASC didn't allow you to do a walk in. In truth, there's no law that says any ASC must or should allow a bio walk in. It's been based largely on luck, being able to pick the right time, when the ASC isn't crowded or busy, and pure luck. You can also check to online to see if there's another ASC not to far from you, and attempt a walk in with them. Bio can be done at any ASC outside of the assigned one, so maybe that's another alternative you may want to explore. You can also give your ASC another shot on another day, pretend like you hadn't gone in before and just hand over the notice. If they refuse you again, beg them if you have to and ask them to consider your coming in the day before your trip, explain the urgency involved with DV cases and how rescheduling may further delay your interview.

If none of these work, then you either have to cancel/postpone your trip, or do the dreaded rescheduling which I wouldn't recommend.

Sm1smon,

Thank you for detail message and suggestions. Finally I had to cancel my trip. I did not want to delay and take risk by rescheduling as you suggested. I would do it on regular schedule which is day after tomorrow.

Jawan14

Hi MOM,

Today, my ex-classmate sent me a copy of my HS degree. And he said if I want the original I have to send him a special procuration. Thank you so much for your support. I have to go to my home country Consulate in NY city for notarization.
Concerning the translation, can I do it myself or should I hire a professional to do it for me???

Thank you so much

Sm1smon,

Thank you for detail message and suggestions. Finally I had to cancel my trip. I did not want to delay and take risk by rescheduling as you suggested. I would do it on regular schedule which is day after tomorrow.

Jawan14

I'm happy to know you've been able to come up with a resolution you can live with. Good luck.

Hi MOM,

Today, my ex-classmate sent me a copy of my HS degree. And he said if I want the original I have to send him a special procuration. Thank you so much for your support. I have to go to my home country Consulate in NY city for notarization.
Concerning the translation, can I do it myself or should I hire a professional to do it for me???

Thank you so much

Cool. Congratulations on finding a way around the HS Diploma issue.

You cannot do the translation yourself, and it is equally not advisable to use a family member either. Other than that, any other person fluent in both your language and English can translate your document. It doesn't have to be done by a professional. Whoever does the translation will have to certify they're fluent in both languages.

Cool. Congratulations on finding a way around the HS Diploma issue.

You cannot do the translation yourself, and it is equally not advisable to use a family member either. Other than that, any other person fluent in both your language and English can translate your document. It doesn't have to be done by a professional. Whoever does the translation will have to certify they're fluent in both languages.

Thank you for your support and quick replies

Hey all - I just have a few questions about the AOS package i'm hoping someone can answer (this forum has been a great help in navigating the process!)

- In terms of putting together documentation for the AOS package, are just straight photocopies okay, provided I bring the originals to the interview? Or do I need to get the copies certified by ex: a notary or justice of the peace? As all my documentation is already in English (everything is in dual language), i'm also assuming I will not need a translation, is this correct?

- Will I need to obtain police records/certificates in the AOS package? In either case, will I need to obtain them for the interview?

- As my DV number is just under the July cut-off for Asia (which the visa bulletin lists as up to 6850), would there be any advantage in sending in my AOS package 2-ish weeks early, or would it be better to wait until the 1st of next month? I've read from these threads/the AOS spreadsheet that there exists a chance it might be denied if I send the package in early - I don't mind repaying the AOS fee if I have to resend in a new package on the first of next month, but i'm mostly worried that if I do file early, two weeks will not be enough time to find out if I was denied or not due to early filing.

Thanks!