• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a grace period of 60 days after your OPT expires. Theoretically, you can still do AOS, provided you're scheduled for an interview before the grace period ends.

Gina,
I'm not comfortable telling people they can do "stuff" in their grace period; this is something that has to be double-checked with a lawyer. Another question for you to ask. :)

finding a job these days..... u know how it goess:) im an international student(sponshorship) so this kinda stops a lot of companies from hiring after undergrad , but basically I wonder if I still would be fine If it would be a contractor job -6month, meaning how long would the process after my case becomes current
my I-20 has been issue since 2009 and it will expire this August but I guess the dates of OPT expiration will be on it too so that will extend it at least till December what sucks is chances are high it can be January, and when will be able to know at least the first current numbers for month of October only in September?
thanks so much for the reply really appreciate it , I feel like I have mastered crimininal and civil laws in this 4 years now turn for immigration lol

Well, you can tell them that you are getting a GC, so now you have better chances of being hired. :) I really don't see anything to worry in your case, I'm pretty hopeful you'd be current in January +- one month. After that, it can take on average 60 days to go to the interview. In your case, if your OPT is expiring (not the grace period because I'm not sure about it) any time after September 2014, you are fine anyway. You should focus on finding a job, and wait before sending any forms due to you-know-what.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on H1B and currently my company has filed PERM application under EB2 quota in Feb'13. Assuming it may take another 3-4 months for it to get approved.

At what stage I should stop the Employer based petition to make sure Dual intent doesn't become an issue. Should I get I-140 filed/approved or just stop at PERM/labor approval.

Case number 2014EU00007***. Plan to file AOS.

Already sent DSP122 + Photos + Barcode to KCC and DV lottery fee to Consulate on May 9th 2013.

Filing for Myself ( From India ) and my Wife ( On H4 from Ukraine ). We got married in 2012 here in USA.

I'm not sure why you think "dual intent" is a problem for you? You are on H1B so going for a GC (DV or otherwise) does not have any negative consequences regarding your visa. The only thing I can imagine is that if you have two GC applications pending, it may take USCIS more time trying to consolidate them. You should talk to your employer and a lawyer to understand the consequences. Since 7XXX is pretty good number for EU, I'd say go for it.

Did your wife win the lottery? If she is the winner, she'll need to show at least HS degree or work experience. And also, the DV lottery fee is not sent to the Consulate! 2x$330 is sent to the DoS St. Louis address. You can find it on DoS web site.

Hello,
I've selected DV2014.
I'm a student in the USA (F1 visa holder)
Since I'm here in the US, I woud like to choose the option to do AOS.

When does your I-20 expire and what is your case number ?

I sent an email to KCC a question like below.

"I'm physically in US as a student, i would like to do AOS.
Am I eligeble to do AOS?"

then KCC replied and told me I have to check the USCIS website and make an appointment and ask them my elidgebility.

so I went to local USCIS yesterday but they couldnt give me a solid answer that I am eligeble or not.

USCIS said "You are not eligeble yet but after October 1 2013, you will be eligeble. You have nothing to do until October 1 2013." but I think which is wrong.

From what I understand,I have to do like this

decide to do AOS
Send a form DS122 to KCC
Get a paper work to show my eligibility from USCIS.
Pay $330 to show my interest in AOS as soon as possible.
To prepare some paper works.
Then Wait until visa bulletin show my CN.

Is my understand wrong?
Could you give me a right answer?

USCIS person probably misunderstood you, yes you are not eligible before Oct 1st, because nobody is. DV2014 processing starts on Oct 1st. You are eligible to do AOS if you have never been out of status, and if you can maintain your F1 status until the day of the interview. That's why I asked your I-20 date and case number.

Once you know you can do AOS, you should decide if you should do AOS. For that decision, please read this thread and inform yourself about possible consequences in different scenarios. Once you decide to do AOS, you'll need to send the DSP122+barcode letter+2 photos to KCC address, and send the DV lottery fee to DoS St. Louis address.

Then you need to start preparing for your application package and wait for your current date. But first, inform yourself about the whole process.

Thank you for your answer

When does your I-20 expire and what is your case number ?

USCIS person probably misunderstood you, yes you are not eligible before Oct 1st, because nobody is. DV2014 processing starts on Oct 1st. You are eligible to do AOS if you have never been out of status, and if you can maintain your F1 status until the day of the interview. That's why I asked your I-20 date and case number.

Once you know you can do AOS, you should decide if you should do AOS. For that decision, please read this thread and inform yourself about possible consequences in different scenarios. Once you decide to do AOS, you'll need to send the DSP122+barcode letter+2 photos to KCC address, and send the DV lottery fee to DoS St. Louis address.

Then you need to start preparing for your application package and wait for your current date. But first, inform yourself about the whole process.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I was planning to apply for OPT end of this year.
Because next semester(Sep-Dec,2013) will going to be the last semester to me.
Is this case how long does my I-20 can be active?
I can apply for opt 12months and I can keep my F1 visa status active when Im applying and doing OPT.

Does this process affect negative on my DV2014 process?

Also I emailed and called KCC and they said i dont have to send 2 photos if I decide to do AOS.
So I think I have to send barcode letter + DSP122 to KCC.

I was planning to apply for OPT end of this year.
Because next semester(Sep-Dec,2013) will going to be the last semester to me.
Is this case how long does my I-20 can be active?
I can apply for opt 12months and I can keep my F1 visa status active when Im applying and doing OPT.

Does this process affect negative on my DV2014 process?

Also I emailed and called KCC and they said i dont have to send 2 photos if I decide to do AOS.
So I think I have to send barcode letter + DSP122 to KCC.

You still didn't tell your case number. If you send your DSP122 form to KCC now, and then apply for OPT in December, and then your number becomes current, say, in January, you may run into problems. Applying for OPT means you will maintain your nonimmigrant status. Applying for GC is a clear violation of that. What is your CN?

Gina,
I'm not comfortable telling people they can do "stuff" in their grace period; this is something that has to be double-checked with a lawyer. Another question for you to ask. :)
I absolutely see your point and I did check with my international adviser. :) What I said to the original poster is that theoretically, one is in status during the grace period, which is absolutely accurate. My international adviser also told me that one can actually apply for a change of status during the grace period. If, let's say, my OPT expires on July 30th and I don't manage to find a job by then, I'm allowed to apply for F2 during the grace period (provided I have a spouse on F1 who can support me).

I hope nitali11 will consult with his/her own international adviser and a lawyer, if necessary. I don't expect anyone to act solely based on what some strangers post on a forum. I know I wouldn't. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely see your point and I did check with my international adviser. :) What I said to the original poster is that theoretically, one is in status during the grace period, which is absolutely accurate. My international adviser also told me that one can actually apply for a change of status during the grace period. If, let's say, my OPT expires on July 30th and I don't manage to find a job by then, I'm allowed to apply for F2 during the grace period (provided I have a spouse on F1 who can support me).

I hope nitali11 will consult his/her own international adviser and a lawyer, if necessary. I don't expect anyone to act solely based on what some strangers post on a forum. I know I wouldn't. :)

Sure. Thanks :) I've heard that one should not do anything in the grace period other than getting ready to leave. So applying for immigration may count for "something". :)

Sure. Thanks :) I've heard that one should not do anything in the grace period other than getting ready to leave. So applying for immigration may count for "something". :)

If you google "apply for change of status during grace period", for instance, you get many links to several pages maintained by universities for their international students. I suppose all F1 students are concerned about grace periods. I've also found online numerous answers from lawyers who corroborate what my adviser told me.

Just an example from one American school (Please see below):

Grace Periods

A 60-day grace period exists after academic program completion. During the 60-day grace period, you may:

Remain in the U.S. to prepare for departure
Transfer to another school or degree program
Apply for a change of status
Caution: no travel abroad and U.S. reentry on the same I-20 and no employment is permitted during the 60-day grace period
Source: Click here!

By the way, I came across a thread on this forum discussing the issue of the grace period expiring while AOS is pending: http://forums.immigration.com/showt...0-day-grace-period-expiring-while-AOS-pending

Sorry I forgot

You still didn't tell your case number. If you send your DSP122 form to KCC now, and then apply for OPT in December, and then your number becomes current, say, in January, you may run into problems. Applying for OPT means you will maintain your nonimmigrant status. Applying for GC is a clear violation of that. What is your CN?

My CN is AS00005XXX.
Am I going to run into a problem??
Ive already sent a DSC122...

After mailed Ds-122 Ds-230??

My cn 2014EU 00036xxx

I mailed DS-122 and DS-230 with Two photo and barcode pages .
After my number become current should I send the fee?
What time will be call for this CN number approximatly ?I may don t even have chance .

Oversea

Also I have E-2 status is US and I do a lot of travel .Is there any problem for my travel to oversea after I mailed my ds-122,ds-230 to KCC?

Thank you to everyone

My CN is AS00005XXX.
Am I going to run into a problem??
Ive already sent a DSC122...

This year AS5XXX was current in March, but this year was slower than previous years. Nobody knows how the numbers will progress next year. If you apply for OPT, you should wait 90 days before sending I485 to show that you really use that OPT for its actual intention (working a job) and not for extending your stay. So if you apply for OPT like in October and if you receive it in early January, then it would be fine to send I485 around February. This is one thing.

The other thing is; you already sent your dsp122, so KCC knows you want to pursue GC. USCIS does not know yet, but when/if they find out, they may deny your OPT. You should talk to your intl student advisor and ask for their opinion.

When you sent dsp122, did you opt for AOS or CP? If you think you will have a problem with the above scenarios, you can do CP by going back to your country after graduation. Finding a job on OPT on the other hand may be more important to you, then you should be careful and ask for advice of your school's intl office and/or a lawyer.

I'm not sure why you think "dual intent" is a problem for you? You are on H1B so going for a GC (DV or otherwise) does not have any negative consequences regarding your visa. The only thing I can imagine is that if you have two GC applications pending, it may take USCIS more time trying to consolidate them. You should talk to your employer and a lawyer to understand the consequences. Since 7XXX is pretty good number for EU, I'd say go for it.

Did your wife win the lottery? If she is the winner, she'll need to show at least HS degree or work experience. And also, the DV lottery fee is not sent to the Consulate! 2x$330 is sent to the DoS St. Louis address. You can find it on DoS web site.

Thanks Aos13.

I won the lottery not my wife as now I can also file being spouse of an eligible candidate. The fee was sent rightly to DOS , sorry about the confusion.

I will go with DV GC and hold on to employer based petition at the stage of PERM/labor approved since 7xxx is a good number - hopefully I can close this out in Nov/Dec time-frame. I don't want to tell my employer anything yet since they may stop the process all together . I'll just will delay things there till I get GC through DV and then tell them the same.

I will get medical exam done this month and be prepared with I-485 package/document so that can send across on Oct-1 right-away based on Visa bulletin.

I'm based out of bay area , California and have learned that interview dates here in local UCSIC office are pretty fast once chicago folks clear things.

Hi Guys

my name has been selected and my case number is 000003##. I already read this thread just to make sure I am repeating some questions.

I am currently in US on F1 visa and I am not graduating in near future. I want to go through AOS since I do not want to go out of US for my application. I have following questions:

1- How is my case number?

2- just to make sure again right now I have to send my barcodesheet+ ds122+ 2 photos ? no need to send DS 230 ?

3- in DS 122 part 6 for education. Should I list only from highschool or I have to start from very beginning elementary school and before that?

4- what should I write for my current university in US in "degree(s) or certificates(s) received" part? I have not received any degree yet?

i am medical student from iran.in registration form i said some university courses for my degree but now i think it is mistake and some graduate level courses is right one?am i right?should i mail kcc and tell them that ?please help me

i am medical student from iran.in registration form i said some university courses for my degree but now i think it is mistake and some graduate level courses is right one?am i right?should i mail kcc and tell them that ?please help me

You don't really have to. The most important thing kcc is looking for is your high school diploma

AOS 2014 questions

Hi, everyone! This forum has been a great help. My husband is DV 2014 selectee. After carefully reading through the forum, I still have some questions. Hope to get answers 
So our situation is my husband is on F2 status - my dependent. I am on F1 status-nursing student. On my I-20 it says that the completion date is 07/31/2014. His case number is 2014EU00033*** which is just a borderline.
So far in the previous years our number became current - the latest- august.
My options to maintain the status is to prolong my I-20 with additional classes or apply for OPT.
1st:
After sending DS-122 to KCC will I still be able to prolong my I-20 for an additional semester since it is under my husband’s name? Or USCIS won’t allow me to?
2nd :
Since my completion date is 07/31/2014, the earliest I can apply for OPT according to my calculations is 05/01/2014. Will I be able to get an OPT after my husband sends DS-122 or will it be denied since we are intending to immigrate?
Thank you for your time!

AOS - DV2014 question

First of all thank you so much for the people actively helping others in this thread.

I have one question. My Case # is AS18XXX. I know this is bad considering this years progression of CN's. But, looking at previous years, seems like I might be current on the month of April/May. I am hoping next year it won't be bad as this year, since I am on F1 status, and I want to do AOS instead of CP. So my question is that, how bad is my case number, from anyone who has a good knowledge about the case numbers for each region.

Also, on a side note, I asked my international advisor at school about the implications on applying to OPT, after sending the DSP 122 to the KCC, and he said there's none. He said don't worry about that, but he said there might be a slight chance that my F1 will not get re-stamped if I leave the country, and tried to come back.

Thanks again aos13 and Sm1smom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.