• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to everybody!
Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. I have no idea what I would do without the help of this forum.
My CN is 2014AS00003xxx. I am in the US on h-4 visa and my spouse is H1b (I am the DV winner). Our visas are valid for another two and a half year. I want to do AOS. My questions are:
1. When can I expect my number become current? I know there is no definitive answer, but any guesstimation (!?) ?

2. I have been on dependent visa the last five years (f-2/h-4). So my employment history is none. But I have bachelor degree. Am I still eligible ?

3. Is my understanding correct that at this point I need to send ONLY dsp-122 for myself + barcode + 2 photos for myself and my husband. No DS-230 is required for me or my husband.

4. I would be better off If I wait for KCC to confirm my AOS and then submit DV fee of 2x330 for both me and my husband, correct? or should I send it now?

5. do I need to send any supporting documents such as High school diploma and bachelor degree or marriage certificate to KCC ?

Thanks for you assistance. :)

blue:
Hi to everybody!
Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. I have no idea what I would do without the help of this forum.
My CN is 2014AS00003xxx. I am in the US on h-4 visa and my spouse is H1b (I am the DV winner). Our visas are valid for another two and a half year. I want to do AOS. My questions are:
1. When can I expect my number become current? I know there is no definitive answer, but any guesstimation (!?) ?
Any time from October 2013 to March 2014? :) Probably around February but do not count on it.
2. I have been on dependent visa the last five years (f-2/h-4). So my employment history is none. But I have bachelor degree. Am I still eligible ?
You are eligible as long as you can show financial support.
3. Is my understanding correct that at this point I need to send ONLY dsp-122 for myself + barcode + 2 photos for myself and my husband. No DS-230 is required for me or my husband.
You only need to send photos for yourself, and no DS230.
4. I would be better off If I wait for KCC to confirm my AOS and then submit DV fee of 2x330 for both me and my husband, correct? or should I send it now?
If it'll make you feel better you can wait.
5. do I need to send any supporting documents such as High school diploma and bachelor degree or marriage certificate to KCC ?
At this point, you don't need to send any supporting documents at all.

Response below:

Hi to everybody!
1. When can I expect my number become current? I know there is no definitive answer, but any guesstimation (!?)? - It's hard to tell at this stage, there are more selectees this year than the previous ones. Applicable Visa Bulletin for you DV year should come out mid-August. You ca however check out past visa bulletins yourself and do the guesstimating :)

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

2. I have been on dependent visa the last five years (f-2/h-4). So my employment history is none. But I have bachelor degree. Am I still eligible? - Yes you are

3. Is my understanding correct that at this point I need to send ONLY dsp-122 for myself + barcode + 2 photos for myself and my husband. No DS-230 is required for me or my husband. - DSP-122 + bar code + 2 passport photos for yourself only, at this stage.

4. I would be better off If I wait for KCC to confirm my AOS and then submit DV fee of 2x330 for both me and my husband, correct? or should I send it now? [B]- You can do it now, and you can wait to hear back from KCC following the submission of DSP-122. It's your choice.[/B]

5. do I need to send any supporting documents such as High school diploma and bachelor degree or marriage certificate to KCC ? - No

Thanks for prompt response.
regarding financial support. I probably won't be able to find anybody to sponsor me on form I-134 (no relative here in the U.S). And as I am on dependent visa, my income is zero. But my husband and I have a saving of $25000, is this enough? and if yes, Do we need to just attach bank statement to our I-485?
And if it is not enough, what else we can do?

Thanks for prompt response.
regarding financial support. I probably won't be able to find anybody to sponsor me on form I-134 (no relative here in the U.S). And as I am on dependent visa, my income is zero. But my husband and I have a saving of $25000, is this enough? and if yes, Do we need to just attach bank statement to our I-485?
And if it is not enough, what else we can do?

My take is, with your spouse on a H1 visa, you will be fine. You can attach past W2s or IRS printouts, indicating you and your spouse have been filing taxes to your I-485 when the time comes to submit it. Attaching you bank statement should also help with your case.

Not sure if I'm gonna be qualified

Hi DV-2014 selectees!

I have a couple of question regarding in eligibility

I am an international student came in the states in 2011 may and started going to school on 13th June 2011.
Im from Japan and I didnt graduate high school but got accepted with this certificate which isnt qualified as a high school graduate.
But I've been going to college as a full-time student so far since I came here.

Is the fact that I've been to going to college in the state since june 2011 works something good to the department?
I'm worried because when I applied to DV in October 2012 it hadnt been 2 years.

Also, I'm a medical marijuana holder and does it affect my situation?

Somebody give me an advice!
Thank you in advance.

I am confused again. :) You won the lottery, and you will also file for your wife as she is the eligible spouse, right?

Ok .. here's the workflow : I'm from India ( non - eligible country ) on H1B in USA. My wife is here on H4 from Ukraine. She filed 2 applications for herself and mine. Mine got selected and now I'll file DV for both of us. Hope this makes things clear :) .

That's understandable. I would still consult with a lawyer if I were in your shoes.
- I don't want to go lawyer route unless absolutely necessary. Like I said - I'll hold on to employed based GC at the stage of PERM/Labor approval and hopefully can get this DV GC get done ASAP ( ofcourse based on current date ) which I'm hoping be sooner for a EU7*** case number.

While preparing for I-485 package , few questions :
- My birth certificate doesn't have my name in it ( kinda old times process in India ) . It does have my parents name , DOB and location . Will school leaving certificate help ?
- Can I get medical exam done now I-693 ? I think it's valid for one year .
- There will be 2 almost similar I-485 packages ? Me and my wife , right ?
- Is there a way to validate that my I-485 packages are complete before sending it across ?

thanks for reply
one more question!
Is there any special posts pocket to mail my document to kcc?

I did some research. Apparently what was known as a Local Office is now known as a Field Office.

How do I find out which field office has a shorter wait time/processing time, if I have a choice between two offices? (I'm not sure if I DO have a choice; I was just wondering that I might possibly be able to use my office address which falls into a different field office service area).

Thanks in advance.

blue:
Hi DV-2014 selectees!

I have a couple of question regarding in eligibility

I am an international student came in the states in 2011 may and started going to school on 13th June 2011.
Im from Japan and I didnt graduate high school but got accepted with this certificate which isnt qualified as a high school graduate.
But I've been going to college as a full-time student so far since I came here.
You should have some equivalent of high school degree. If you had an advanced degree, that could help, but you don't have that either yet. You should ask USCIS and/or US embassy in Japan for information.
Is the fact that I've been to going to college in the state since june 2011 works something good to the department?
I'm worried because when I applied to DV in October 2012 it hadnt been 2 years.

Also, I'm a medical marijuana holder and does it affect my situation?
I have no idea. Consult with an immigration lawyer.
Somebody give me an advice!
Thank you in advance.

blue:
- I don't want to go lawyer route unless absolutely necessary. Like I said - I'll hold on to employed based GC at the stage of PERM/Labor approval and hopefully can get this DV GC get done ASAP ( ofcourse based on current date ) which I'm hoping be sooner for a EU7*** case number.
Your choice. But there is no harm in consulting an immigration lawyer.

While preparing for I-485 package , few questions :
- My birth certificate doesn't have my name in it ( kinda old times process in India ) . It does have my parents name , DOB and location . Will school leaving certificate help ?
You should get some kind of a civil document that shows your name, parents' names, DOB and birth place.
- Can I get medical exam done now I-693 ? I think it's valid for one year .
There is no hurry, but you can. Check with the doctor to make sure it's good for one year.
- There will be 2 almost similar I-485 packages ? Me and my wife , right ?
Yes, yours will be more involved because you are the winner.
- Is there a way to validate that my I-485 packages are complete before sending it across ?
Not really, but you can get an infopass with a field office and show them your papers.

I did some research. Apparently what was known as a Local Office is now known as a Field Office.

How do I find out which field office has a shorter wait time/processing time, if I have a choice between two offices? (I'm not sure if I DO have a choice; I was just wondering that I might possibly be able to use my office address which falls into a different field office service area).

Thanks in advance.
I don't think you can guess which office will be faster. You can look at the spreadsheets from 2013 and 2011 to see people's timeline (they are posted somewhere in AOS2013 thread). There are a few notoriously slow offices, other than that, there is no way of knowing. You can figure out your office(s), and ask in that thread if people know anything about those offices.

Hi

This is a rough calculation I did and is based on DV-2012 result. Simple extrapolation with this years winner Number of 125000.

Africa 50% 62500 25000
Europe 30.98% 38725 15490
Asia 15% 18750 7500
S & C America 2% 2500 1000
Oceania 2% 2500 1000
NA 0.02% 25 10

For example in AS the 2012 win % was 15 for winning GC. Out of 125000, 15% is 18750 and out of 50000, 15% is 7500.

That is total 7500 visa is won by Asians in 2012 but if same selection is adjusted for the Lottery winners. So CN Number near 7500 has a good chance (depending if 15% is still the winning percentage).

Any thing higher than 10000 can be considered unlucky and 20000 and above (Me in this) are basically in the bottom pile.

But if most of the people in Aisa got rejected (2012 issue Bangladesh rejection/Fraud rate was 97%),There is a chance.

For other regions. You can cheer up as total 125000 people are selected. and AS has 23000 (as per 15% 18750 is the highest) in it that means that your number have high chance of winning.

Mine is a very rough crude calculation. Any thoughts please let me know

Regards
Robin

HI Robin, I have a question for you,,, if I understand you correctly, do you mean that the fact that they selected more winners for the 2014 dv lottery means that the cutoff numbers for CNs will go faster for 2014?
thanks
CN 2014AF00027XXX

Kcc

I malied my forms to KCC may 10.2013 and 5 days left.Some one know when should I get mail or e-mail from KCC?

Thank You

Help AOS or CS?

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for your posts and information. For the last couple of weeks, I have been reading AOS 2009, 2010, and 2011. It was very helpful.

However, I have still the major problem : to do AOS or through my home country.

I am a second year PhD student with valid F1 visa till 2016. I live in North Carolina.

However, my number is very high: EU000360**
Thus, according to previous years , I should expect interview in August or September 2014.

What are my chances to get a green card?

1) I worry very much because if i do it through CS, then in the case of a refusal, will be my F1 visa cancelled? (It means, I will not be able to finish my PhD)

2) On the other hand, If I do it through AOS and GC gets refused, will I be able to leave the states and come back on F1 as my parents are very old I have to go home to take care of them from time to time.

I am really worried. I have been browsing internet for the last 15 days but I still cannot make a decision. Please, help.

Thank you very much in advance,

Maria

blue:
Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for your posts and information. For the last couple of weeks, I have been reading AOS 2009, 2010, and 2011. It was very helpful.

However, I have still the major problem : to do AOS or through my home country.

I am a second year PhD student with valid F1 visa till 2016. I live in North Carolina.
Do you mean your I-20 or your visa in your passport?
However, my number is very high: EU000360**
Thus, according to previous years , I should expect interview in August or September 2014.

What are my chances to get a green card?

1) I worry very much because if i do it through CS, then in the case of a refusal, will be my F1 visa cancelled? (It means, I will not be able to finish my PhD)
If you do CS, you don't have to leave US until you are scheduled an interview. If you are scheduled an interview at the US embassy in your country, it pretty much means you'll have a chance to get the visa (a visa number is available), IF all your documents are ok and they won't ask for other stuff and you are not left to AP.
2) On the other hand, If I do it through AOS and GC gets refused, will I be able to leave the states and come back on F1 as my parents are very old I have to go home to take care of them from time to time.
If you maintain your F1 status and your visa is not expired, there is a good chance you can come back. If you need to renew visa, that could be a problem.
I am really worried. I have been browsing internet for the last 15 days but I still cannot make a decision. Please, help.

Nothing we write here is 100% accurate, you need to check with your school DSO, immigration lawyer, USCIS, KCC, and the embassy. Unfortunately there is no clear information about what happens to an F1 student if GC fails. If they maintain their status, they can continue to stay as F1 after the AOS refusal, but nobody knows for sure what happens after CP refusal, or if traveling after AOS refusal.

I'm assuming your PhD is more important to you than the green card, so you should do what you think is best in order not to jeopardize your PhD.

After sending your DSP122 to KCC, I think you can still travel provided that you don't need a new visa stamp. But since your number is high, you don't really have to make a decision for another 8-10 months!
Thank you very much in advance,

Maria

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for your assistance
In the entry form of lottery i wrote my yahoo email which i cant access now!
I send an email to kcc and ask them to change my email address they reply and told me that they cant change anything now.i've just sent my DS122 for them.
what should i do now?i think they will email something later !

AOS or CP? Please advise me!

Hello,

I had an INFOpass this morning at 7:30AM in New York and it was the MOST unhelpful thing ever. They told me they are already doing DV 2014 numbers and in the visa bulletin they are clearly still doing DV 2013. Please allow me to explain my situation so I can be better advised.

First of all I wanted to thank you all for all your posts. (They are extremely helpful). Our situation is a little bit more complicated.

My husband was one of the selectees for the DV-2014 (Case Number: EU00049XXX). He is currently on an F-1 status (OPT expiring November 15th 2013). I am currently on a B-1 visa expiring on August 8th 2013 (but my I94 is only valid until July 6th 2013).

Is there anyway we could do AOS instead of CP? In case we can't do AOS, is there anyway we could stay in the states until the interview and extend our visas? what do you recommend me?

Thank you for your time!!
Elisa

Status
Not open for further replies.