• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is for those who are already in US. Let me briefly answer: you cannot correct the entry form. The only thing you can do is to write the correct city to the forms from now on, and have a very good explanation why he did that mistake, and hope that he doesn't get disqualified. If both cities are in the same country; or one is like a suburb of the other, you may have a chance; but usually this kind of mistake is grounds for disqualification. You may want to contact the embassy/consulate and ask for information.

Thank you for your replie. Yes, we are already in the US and going to do AOS. Yes, the same country and it says on his birth document that it was submitted to that city that he wrote. I hope it is going to be OK. Should we contact attorney about it? I am really worried now.

What do you mean exactly when you say "submitted to that city" ?? Please give an explanation like "he was born in city A, and his certificate shows city B, and he wrote city A/B in the lottery form", or something along those lines so that we can understand the issue.

What do you mean exactly when you say "submitted to that city" ?? Please give an explanation like "he was born in city A, and his certificate shows city B, and he wrote city A/B in the lottery form", or something along those lines so that we can understand the issue.

OK, I will try to explain better. He is from Japan and he is telling me that it is very different there and people usually do not have a birth certificate, but more like a registry document. He wrote on the form city A, but on his document says that he was born in city B. I think city A is like a suburb of B. It says on his registry document that it was submitted to city A. I know, it sounds confusing, but thank you so much for your help.
I don't even know if that document is good enough or there should be something like birth certificate. I am sure he is not the first person to win from Japan.

OK, I will try to explain better. He is from Japan and he is telling me that it is very different there and people usually do not have a birth certificate, but more like a registry document. He wrote on the form city A, but on his document says that he was born in city B. I think city A is like a suburb of B.
This happens all the time actually. Not every country issues a birth certificate, some countries only issue a civil registry document and it may be called "birth certificate extract" or "civil record extract" or something along those lines. And people usually write the city/province they were born in, only to find out that their records show a district/town etc. that is in that city. It's like writing "New York", but document says "Manhattan" for example. Your case sounds like the other way around, but you should be fine.

I don't even know if that document is good enough or there should be something like birth certificate. I am sure he is not the first person to win from Japan.

It should be fine, and trying to contact people from Japanese forums can get you more peace of mind. Here is a link that I posted before:

http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/

Do the GNS Search, and hopefully it'll show A is in B, and you can also show this as further proof, but I doubt IO will even question the city of birth. Just make sure he writes whatever his document and/or passport shows as "place of birth" from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTEThis happens all the time actually. Not every country issues a birth certificate, some countries only issue a civil registry document and it may be called "birth certificate extract" or "civil record extract" or something along those lines. And people usually write the city/province they were born in, only to find out that their records show a district/town etc. that is in that city. It's like writing "New York", but document says "Manhattan" for example. Your case sounds like the other way around, but you should be fine. ][/QUOTE]

Thank you so much aos13. I checked the map and it shows that city A and B are separate cities, but next to each other and in the same district. My excitement turned into big worry now.

Shea2013 said:
Thank you so much aos13. I checked the map and it shows that city A and B are separate cities, but next to each other and in the same district. My excitement turned into big worry now.

Did you do the GNS text search? Is there a way to show that one is administratively under the other? Also you said that his document shows city B but says "submitted to city A", so if the document mentions "city A" somehow, then it's official enough.

Again I really don't think this would be an issue in AOS since the IOs don't really look at your lottery entries as far as I know. And a CO in Tokyo Embassy (or wherever DV interviews are handled) would have seen enough Japanese documents to know this is not a major issue. For peace of mind, you may want to look for specific instructions at the Japanese embassy/consulate, and give them a call or e-mail to see what they suggest.

Hmmmm- well I was looking at the Visa Bulletins to get an indication of when an CN OC number in the 2000's would likely go current and I didnt see any that had a number higher than 1250. So Im thinking that a number over 2000 is high? Maybe Im wrong???

We are also Australian and our CN number is 2014OC00002490. I have a hunch that this year all Australians are 2XXX and Europeans are 5XXX, etc. What do you think?

Also you said that his document shows city B but says "submitted to city A", so if the document mentions "city A" somehow, then it's official enough.

Again I really don't think this would be an issue in AOS since the IOs don't really look at your lottery entries as far as I know.

OK, I feel much better now. Thank you so much again.

We are also Australian and our CN number is 2014OC00002490. I have a hunch that this year all Australians are 2XXX and Europeans are 5XXX, etc. What do you think?

Sorry Silka Ive seen other Australians on here with numbers in the 1200's and even as low as 200-400. I wish that were the case!

Hello Everyone,

I am applying for DV2014 as AOS.
I am preparing my documents for Oct 2013 . I have a question please.
The police clearance is required, Am I right?
but in my country we have two types of police clearance as below, which one do I have to submit, given that one of them I need to go back home to get it for me and my wife.

Police Records

Available to resident Jordanian citizens and foreigners. The General Intelligence Directorate (GID) is responsible for issuing good conduct certificates. They are considered to be reliable, but cover primarily security-related records, i.e. not necessarily criminal information. These certificates must be applied for in person at the local GID office, and are valid for one year. It takes up to two weeks to obtain the certificate from the GID. Foreigners must reside continuously in Jordan for six months before the GID will issue a certificate. There are no procedures to obtain these certificates through Jordanian embassies in foreign countries.

Prison Records

Available. Obtainable through Public Security Directorate (police) offices. Relatives can obtain these records if the applicant resides outside Jordan. Some convictions are expunged in periodic amnesties, therefore individual records may not be complete

Hello Everyone,

I am applying for DV2014 as AOS.
I am preparing my documents for Oct 2013 . I have a question please.
The police clearance is required, Am I right?
but in my country we have two types of police clearance as below, which one do I have to submit, given that one of them I need to go back home to get it for me and my wife.

Police Records

Available to resident Jordanian citizens and foreigners. The General Intelligence Directorate (GID) is responsible for issuing good conduct certificates. They are considered to be reliable, but cover primarily security-related records, i.e. not necessarily criminal information. These certificates must be applied for in person at the local GID office, and are valid for one year. It takes up to two weeks to obtain the certificate from the GID. Foreigners must reside continuously in Jordan for six months before the GID will issue a certificate. There are no procedures to obtain these certificates through Jordanian embassies in foreign countries.

Prison Records

Available. Obtainable through Public Security Directorate (police) offices. Relatives can obtain these records if the applicant resides outside Jordan. Some convictions are expunged in periodic amnesties, therefore individual records may not be complete

For the umpteenth time, people doing AOS do not need PCC. An FBI background check will be done on you following the submission of your I-485 package.

First question is: is your employer willing to employ you beyond the end of your OPT (January)? If not, you are going back anyways unless they apply for h1b. Did you talk to them about the h1b issue? Are they willing to do that? Also, it may be harder to show financial stability in AOS if you don't have a job beyond January. Also, IF your case number becomes current before the end of OPT and you send your I-485, you can stay in US until you get your interview. But you can not work during your grace period unless your employer already filed for H1B in which case I believe there is this "cap gap" deal that can help you but I don't know for sure.

Since your number is low enough, you are getting your GC regardless of CP or AOS; you have to make sure you don't do anything to jeopardize that. I really think you should talk to a good immigration lawyer to clarify the grace period issue, the cap gap issue, and also more importantly about this DUI issue. If there seems to be any risk doing AOS, going back to your country to do CP might be a better way.

Yes I won't have a problem with the employer, the only issue in the process is that the applications for H1 happen only once a year! It's on April 1st and those who get approved can start working on October 1st with that H1 visa.

So my problem is not with finding or keeping a job but with the fact that I either leave my newly started job to do CP and hope that I might ever come back or try to do AOS and hope that it gets approved. I will very likely to be able to apply for AOS before March 14th - since my number is EU75xx - so my question is if that application or its approval allows me to stay in the U.S. lawfully till my interview date?
(I understand that I won't be able to work after Jan. 14th unless I receive the EAD card in the meantime)

Thank you!

Yes I won't have a problem with the employer, the only issue in the process is that the applications for H1 happen only once a year! It's on April 1st and those who get approved can start working on October 1st with that H1 visa.
Please find out about this "cap gap" and whether it applies to you, in which case you can stay and work.

So my problem is not with finding or keeping a job but with the fact that I either leave my newly started job to do CP and hope that I might ever come back or try to do AOS and hope that it gets approved. I will very likely to be able to apply for AOS before March 14th - since my number is EU75xx - so my question is if that application or its approval allows me to stay in the U.S. lawfully till my interview date?

If you are current before OPT expires (not the grace period, but I'm not sure), and you send your application, and they send a receipt (meaning they didn't reject your application for some missing document etc.), you can stay.
Chances are you'll be current by December and once you submit your I-485, you can stay until the interview.

Even if you have to leave for CP, I doubt it would take more than a couple of weeks, and your employer should be thankful to you because you are saving them the trouble of sponsoring your H1B and a possible future GC!

Please double-check with a good lawyer. Sometimes they are worth the money. :)

Romero,

You need to consult an immigration attorney due to your reckless driving charge. This will affect both CP and AOS.

Hi Minto64,

thanks for your note, yes I'm talking with a few now but they keep saying it shouldn't cause much of an issue. The problem is the probation time!

EDIT:aos13, I do know about gap cap. It's only for those whose employer apply for H1 but the employer is only allowed to apply for H1 once every year: on April 1st. Also I'd have to be legally working on April 1st.
this is one of the reasons why AOS is so compelling, if things get delayed then there is a chance that I get an EAD which might let me work till April 1st and then I have a shot for an H1 as well!

EDIT 2: Ok now what I see is that being on probation is what's going to be my problem so I have to get that shortened ASAP...
It is possible, we will see if I can succeed with it.

EDIT: 3 Ok so I did find out that I have to be finished with my probation by the time when I file the I-485.
Does anyone know about the DSP-122? Is that form really just a registration or can it be denied?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Minto64,

thanks for your note, yes I'm talking with a few now but they keep saying it shouldn't cause much of an issue. The problem is the probation time!

EDIT:aos13, I do know about gap cap. It's only for those whose employer apply for H1 but the employer is only allowed to apply for H1 once every year: on April 1st. Also I'd have to be legally working on April 1st.
this is one of the reasons why AOS is so compelling, if things get delayed then there is a chance that I get an EAD which might let me work till April 1st and then I have a shot for an H1 as well!

EDIT 2: Ok now what I see is that being on probation is what's going to be my problem so I have to get that shortened ASAP...
It is possible, we will see if I can succeed with it.

EDIT: 3 Ok so I did find out that I have to be finished with my probation by the time when I file the I-485.
Does anyone know about the DSP-122? Is that form really just a registration or can it be denied?

Thank you so much!

Romero,

I have no experience with driving charges and how they relate to green cards. My comment was driven by observations on other forums where other forumites who have filed I-485 have expressed concerns due to reckless driving, misdemeanors and dui's.
If a criminal lawyer is advising you be sure to consult an immigration lawyer . Horror stories abound for those who only consulted criminal lawyers and lived to regret it. This specifically affected them when filing for citizenship.

Have you heard any AOS case where the person got disqualified after USCIS interview(I assume the person never became out of status)? or they say no visa left after calling for interview?

Have you heard any AOS case where the person got disqualified after USCIS interview(I assume the person never became out of status)?
No, but it is possible.

or they say no visa left after calling for interview?
Yes. Happened to a guy from Belize. He/she was not told anything during the interview, but was told there were no visas left after calling USCIS later. I don't know what happened after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.