• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue:
Hi aos13,

Sorry for the counfusion. My OPT is approved, I have the EAD card but I put July as my start date on it. As for my H1B it was filed in apriL and I didnt get any formal letters yet but on my company's website, it says that "H1B receipt notice received". Not sure if it means I got approved.
It means they received the application, it says nothing about approval or rejection, so your case is pending.

Since my OPT is approved, should I start the DV process? Also, I understand CP is faster (though one of the threads said that this year AOS will be faster ) but how much in advance do you get notified for the interview? I cant leave the U.S. until October2013 because of my H1 and then after that I need to inform my employer in advance to take days off.
Again, please first inform yourself. There is no such thing as "this year AOS/CP will be faster". Your interview will be scheduled after your case number becomes current. So you are not leaving before October anyway if you choose to do CP. Based on your number, it can be any time next year, most probably around the spring/summer months.

Also since my CN is high, it means I dont have to file DS122 right away?
There is no direct connection between CN and filing DSP122. It is advisable to send DSP122 in a timely manner so that KCC has enough time to process your file and route it to your Embassy before you are current in case you choose CP and worry about your chances.

Sorry I meant what if I wouldn't be able to get my green card thru AOS by December. People say it takes longer. I'm completely new to this stuff, still trying to understand..
You mean this December? Well it's pretty probable that you are not getting your green card by December either way. But so what, you'll get it next year.

Sending forms DSP-122 and DS-230 in not required by goverment selectee instructions for those who apply for AOS, it is promoted by scammers because they could charge illegal fees on costomers who are caught by their scam, who submit their forms to their private emails (that look close to KCC email).
Please report illegal activity immediately.

How do I report internet fraud or unsolicited email?
If you wish to file a complaint about internet fraud, please see visit econsumer.gov, which is a joint effort of consumer protection agencies from 17 nations, hosted by the Federal Trade Commission. You can also visit the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) website. To file a complaint about unsolicited email, contact the Department of Justice.

Ok, I was looking for the DV timelines spreadsheets for the past couple of years to provide more information regarding DV processing time frame in Newton, MA. I not only couldn't find most of those timelines any more, I aslo didn't see Newton listed on the ones I found. So, I'm not sure if your FO will be in Boston, MA. Boston seems to be one of those busy FOs, so AOS interviews are being scheduled a bit longer than most other FOs.

DV 2011 Timeline:

DV 2013 Timeline:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjoXax6rTIh6dDduVnZRMXpSekI5bFgxc0lGWkV6QlE#gid=0

So if you think you're heart wouldn't go *thump* *thump* *thump* every time someone else (whose case gets to be current same time as yours) comes back to annouce they have their Bio/Interview Letter while you're still waiting for us, you can go ahead and do AOS. I'm convinced you will eventually get to be interviewed.

But if the stress will be too much for you to handle, then consider doing CP in Canada (but remember you'll need to get PCC from Morocco and any other applicable place you lived).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I was looking for the DV timelines spreadsheets for the past couple of years to provide more information regarding DV processing time frame in Newton, MA. I not only couldn't find most of those timelines any more, I aslo didn't see Newton listed on the ones I found. So, I'm not sure if your FO will be in Boston, MA.

Ok, here is a service "free of charge" :mad: :rolleyes: Newton is in Middlesex county, which is served by:

The USCIS office that serves your area is the: Lawrence Field Office.

This office is located at:

2 Mill Street

Lawrence, MA 01840

So hopefully it won't be Boston, but you never know.

Great! Thanks for the geograhy lesson :p

Ok, here is a service "free of charge" :mad: :rolleyes: Newton is in Middlesex county, which is served by:

The USCIS office that serves your area is the: Lawrence Field Office.

This office is located at:

2 Mill Street

Lawrence, MA 01840

So hopefully it won't be Boston, but you never know.

Dv 2014

Hi, I have been chosen for DV 2014 I am from Estonia single, no kids. So what is my next step? I read that I need to send some papers to KCC, but can I send them through e-mail scanned or they should be only send by normal post? So if I understood correctly I need to fill DS-230 part I and part II, form DSP-122, letter with barcode and 2 pictures, am I right?

Thanks for the answers

Hi, I have been chosen for DV 2014 I am from Estonia single, no kids. So what is my next step? I read that I need to send some papers to KCC, but can I send them through e-mail scanned or they should be only send by normal post? So if I understood correctly I need to fill DS-230 part I and part II, form DSP-122, letter with barcode and 2 pictures, am I right?

Thanks for the answers

Unless you are already in US, this is the wrong thread for you.

Hi everyone,

I read through the whole thread and I must say I did learn a lot from it.

I only have a few questions left:

1. How worried should I be for scoring a green card with AOS if I have a 2014EU000075xx CN number?
My only issue is that my F1 OPT expires on 14th of January which means I'm in status till March 14th. (i guess i could try to enroll into a new school in january if I really have to. that would become kind of clear in October seeing the first set of numbers coming up)

2. Considering that I'm from Hungary which is quite small do you think my country can/will run out of visas before I get to interview with AOS here in the States?

3. I have a reckless driving on my record (probation recently started) do you think that can jeopardize the green card? Knowing about this, do you think CP or AOS better with something like that on the record?

Thank you so much for the help, this forum is truly amazing

EDIT: F1 only expires in September 2014

Blue:
Hi everyone,

I read through the whole thread and I must say I did learn a lot from it.

I only have a few questions left:

1. How worried should I be for scoring a green card with AOS if I have a 2014EU000075xx CN number?
EU75xx is pretty good.

My only issue is that my F1 OPT expires on 14th of January which means I'm in status till March 14th. (i guess i could try to enroll into a new school in january if I really have to. that would become kind of clear in October seeing the first set of numbers coming up)
I would say there is a good chance you'd get your interview before March but do not count on it. If your OPT is expiring and you are going back to your country anyways (right?), you could consider CP.
2. Considering that I'm from Hungary which is quite small do you think my country can/will run out of visas before I get to interview with AOS here in the States?
As I posted (and corrected) before, there is no definite country quota as far as I understand. So do not bother with that for now.
3. I have a reckless driving on my record (probation recently started) do you think that can jeopardize the green card? Knowing about this, do you think CP or AOS better with something like that on the record?
I have no idea, but reckless driving is exactly what? Arrest, court? Or just paying a fine? Depending how much you paid, it could be or not be an issue.
Thank you so much for the help, this forum is truly amazing

yeah it was a DUI but was reduced to reckless driving. My total fines were 1500 and court fees were an other 1000.
What do you think?

As far as the F1 and OPT: OPT expires january 14th but like I said I could enroll into a new program in January since the F1 is not going to expire for a while.

Thank you again

EDIT: you asked if I was going to back to my country because the OPT was expiring. Well not really since I at that point i will have a job and I'd love to stay as long as possible.

yeah it was a DUI but was reduced to reckless driving. My total fines were 1500 and court fees were an other 1000.
What do you think?
I'm not sure, it could be an issue. And I don't know if your chances are better with AOS or CP regarding this. Somebody else may have an idea.

As far as the F1 and OPT: OPT expires january 14th but like I said I could enroll into a new program in January since the F1 is not going to expire for a while.
If OPT expires then I-20 should expire, too. Are you referring to the stamp in your passport? That date is irrelevant. Please read the thread from beginning and inform yourself about "intent". You may have a problem if you get another F1/I20 and apply for immigration right away. Also consult with your school's DSO.
Thank you again

You don't really have to stay in US in order to get your GC. If your OPT is expiring and you had no plans originally for afterwards, then you can go to your country and get your GC by CP. If you have compelling reasons not to leave US such as a job lined up for you, or to continue with an advanced degree, then you can do AOS but first inform yourself.

You don't really have to stay in US in order to get your GC. If your OPT is expiring and you had no plans originally for afterwards, then you can go to your country and get your GC by CP. If you have compelling reasons not to leave US such as a job lined up for you, or to continue with an advanced degree, then you can do AOS but first inform yourself.

Yeah I totally get it and I understand that F1 shouldn't have immigration intent so I will probably won't do that re-enrollment anyway. What I really need is a green card or an H1 to be able to continue working and since I have zero chance of getting an h1 before 2014 october this GC makes a lot of sense to be pursued. That's why I'm trying to make sure I choose the best option between CP or AOS however I still don't know which would be better in my case.

Let's assume that I opt for AOS and the interview date falls after 14th of March than can I do something like an I-765 or Advance Parole to bridge my time between 14th of March and the interview date? Any idea when I would be supposed to apply for those?

My husband won DV 2014 lottery, but he wrote wrong birth city on the lottery form. What can we do to correct it? Is it very important? Someone help please. I mean not correct city where he was born. Apparently he thought it means the place he lived after being born.

Yeah I totally get it and I understand that F1 shouldn't have immigration intent so I will probably won't do that re-enrollment anyway. What I really need is a green card or an H1 to be able to continue working and since I have zero chance of getting an h1 before 2014 october this GC makes a lot of sense to be pursued. That's why I'm trying to make sure I choose the best option between CP or AOS however I still don't know which would be better in my case.

Let's assume that I opt for AOS and the interview date falls after 14th of March than can I do something like an I-765 or Advance Parole to bridge my time between 14th of March and the interview date? Any idea when I would be supposed to apply for those?

First question is: is your employer willing to employ you beyond the end of your OPT (January)? If not, you are going back anyways unless they apply for h1b. Did you talk to them about the h1b issue? Are they willing to do that? Also, it may be harder to show financial stability in AOS if you don't have a job beyond January. Also, IF your case number becomes current before the end of OPT and you send your I-485, you can stay in US until you get your interview. But you can not work during your grace period unless your employer already filed for H1B in which case I believe there is this "cap gap" deal that can help you but I don't know for sure.

Since your number is low enough, you are getting your GC regardless of CP or AOS; you have to make sure you don't do anything to jeopardize that. I really think you should talk to a good immigration lawyer to clarify the grace period issue, the cap gap issue, and also more importantly about this DUI issue. If there seems to be any risk doing AOS, going back to your country to do CP might be a better way.

My husband won DV 2014 lottery, but he wrote wrong birth city on the lottery form. What can we do to correct it? Is it very important? Someone help please. I mean not correct city where he was born. Apparently he thought it means the place he lived after being born.

This thread is for those who are already in US. Let me briefly answer: you cannot correct the entry form. The only thing you can do is to write the correct city to the forms from now on, and have a very good explanation why he did that mistake, and hope that he doesn't get disqualified. If both cities are in the same country; or one is like a suburb of the other, you may have a chance; but usually this kind of mistake is grounds for disqualification. You may want to contact the embassy/consulate and ask for information.

Still some questions :)

Hi everyone!

Like everyone else here, I won the lottery and I have been reading this thread for a few days trying to figure out what to do next :) I am still a little bit confused with the CN and how you decide whether it's low or high and how it may depend on when your number becomes current. It may seem very obvious to the most of you, but I was just wondering if someone perhaps could explain this to me. My number is EU00021XXX.

Another question that I had is related to Visa Bulletin. I tried to read some issues and made a sense out of the information provided there. How do you know when your number will be curent ahead of time? Again, it may be a very obvious question, so bear with me :)

Thank you and congratulations to all of us! :)

My number is EU00021XXX.

Another question that I had is related to Visa Bulletin. I tried to read some issues and made a sense out of the information provided there. How do you know when your number will be curent ahead of time?

If you look at May's bulletin, you'll see the following: B. DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

And you'll see Europe is at 27500. So if you were DV2013, you would have been current. Actually you would have been current last month. If you scroll a little more, you'll see the advanced notification, those are the numbers for next month. So that's how you'll know ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.