• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Am told that if you live in some area, you have to go to the school in that area and not any other.

Technically, you're restricted to attending the public schools (be it elementary, middle and high schools) within your home zone/catchment area. But there are sometimes exceptions to this under mitigating circumstances.

Kindly highlight the issue of public schools vizaviz the area in which you live.

School attendance is based on catchment zoning. Public schools are placed under different school districts. The school district has a series of elementary, middle and high schools that are meant to serve specific neighborhoods. The school districts draw a line on the map based on their counting of the number of people/houses/buildings and they call that area that’s served by the school the ‘catchment’ area.

You cannot, at will, decide to register your kids in a particular public school because of it's reputation if you're not within its catchment. In order to register your kids, you need to provide proof of residency by submitting your lease, mortgage, maintenance/utility bills or tax returns. In most cases, the utility bill will suffice - your hosts can help provide this since I'm assuming those with kids intend for the kids to start school as soon as possible.

Now, if you do move out of that area, and you wish for your kids to attend the school in your new area, you simply have to approach the school with your new lease or something proving your new address. If however, you prefer the previous school your kid(s) is/are attending even after leaving the catchment area, you're not required to withdraw your kid(s). They are free to continue receiving their education in that/those school(s).

Success nesh 422

Hi bro, i wish you all the best during your interview. just as Wakin master said confidence is all you need otherwise i know you are going to make it we are waiting to smile at your success brother go for it and don't forget to update us on your experience

Thanks again for addressing our concerns. Dubai too thanks a lot. It makes a lot of sense to do those small jobs in the beginning but i have also read something from someone who has settled already that we get desperate and rush for whatever is available and we end up getting stuck. You know, like we fail to make it back to our professions. I do feel for the pilot and the engineer, geez man if a pilot did cabs then this accountant is gonna do burgers for sho. lol.

I totally understand the concern about 'rushing for anything available and getting stuck'. It certainly makes sense to calm down and look around wisely. I don't think it's completely out of line for an immigrant engineer to begin work as a Technical Assistant, if he's having such a great difficulty with finding the desired job in his line of profession. It will be a big blow to his ego, no doubt, but it's certainly a lot better than not having anything to do at all. Admittedly, bugger flipping is an extreme example, and I don't honestly expect any of you guys with college degrees and applicable work experience to fall within that range.

The truth is this country can be brutal, like I've mentioned before. Not unless you have endless resources at your disposal, you will soon realize that the hard earned money you came with is fast disappearing because you will start spending as soon as you land. It's a lot worse if you don't have a host helping to foot the bills that starts acquiring from day 1.

I do feel for the pilot and the engineer, geez man if a pilot did cabs then this accountant is gonna do burgers

As an accountant, you will be fine in the long run, organizations are always in need of accountants. But I suggest you strongly consider getting the applicable CPA License for your State, this will make climbing that ladder easier. You may also want to consider getting an MBA (if you don't have one already).

Applying for your SSN

There have been a few posts on the process of applying for an SSN. As it turns out, the Social Security Administration has provided an avenue for one to apply for their SSN while still in the home country during the visa application process and if you use this process, the SSN will be delivered to your given address with 3 weeks of arriving in the US.

This provision is included in FORM DS-230 as indicated below;

Answer "Yes" to Questions 43a. and 43b.on Form DS-230

43a. Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN (and issue a card) or issue you a new card (if you have an SSN)? You must answer "Yes" to this question and to the "Consent To Disclosure" in order to receive an SSN and/or card.

43b. CONSENT TO DISCLOSURE;
I authorize disclosure from this form to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), the Social Security Administration (SSA), such other U.S. Government agencies as may be required for the purpose of assigning me an SSN and issuing me a Social Security card, and I authorize the SSA to share my SSN with the INS.

Therefore, if you answered yes to these questions on the form, they'll automatically start processing your SSN as soon as your GC is granted. For more details on the process, please visit the SSA website. This link will take you to the page I'm referring to, but you can also explore the rest of the site for other info. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnvisa/#a0=2

If you find that you need to go to the local SSA office to follow up your SSN, you can use this link to find the SSA office nearest to you. All you need is the zip code of the area where you are living. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been a few posts on the process of applying for an SSN. As it turns out, the Social Security Administration has provided an avenue for one to apply for their SSN while still in the home country during the visa application process and if you use this process, the SSN will be delivered to your given address with 3 weeks of arriving in the US.

Admittedly, this is the way the process is supposed to work. But the fact is the entire US governmental system is a big bureaucracy. Some newly landed immigrants have been known to have received their SSN as stated, at the same time, there are others who did exactly the same thing and waited endlessly for the card to arrive.

Step 5 of the posted link

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnvisa/whatyou_need.htm

states the following:

If you don't receive your card within 3 weeks of being admitted to the U.S., go into the nearest Social Security office or Card Center with proof of age, identity and employment authorization:

This is because they are aware the system doesn't always work the way it should! Going down to the nearest Social Security office upon arrival, if you can, buys you the needed peace of mind. They will confirm if you're already in their system and they're processing you or not.

One can either be proactive to ensure things are working like they should, or you can sit on your butt and wait to find out.

Hey thankyou all for for the great answers pertaining my questions, but if i may ask it will take like 3 months to get the physical green card, does this means that i wont be able to get a gainful employment as i wait for this.
Am saying this coz am in it Technical field and we our certs are global , i send my CV at monster.com and have already got several job offers (3) including a call from Atlanta, asking when am available for immediate job offer..
i thought having a SSN should be enough + your passport

Once you get admitted at the POE, the officer will stamp your immigrant visa on your passport. That endorsement (stamp) makes your immigrant visa to act as your temporary green card for one year from the date of stamp. So actually, u can use it as a green card and seek employment once you have your SSN. Again, you can use the stamped visa on your passport to go to Social Security offices to apply for a SSN. Its not advisable to assume they will automatically send you one because you filled that portion about SSN on DS-230.
That's my own experience :)

just a few hours remain for our bro Nesh to get his visa time counting down :) wish you good luck and hope to hear good news tomorrow ...we are praying 4 u, u will get it u will get it!!

hi guys,i have qsn,since most of the interviews are scheduled 6.30am and you should be at the gate 30min earlier,how do people make to that place at such timing especialy those residing outskirts of city,do we have pocket friendly guest houses in the soroundings pliz help

Depending on the safety of ur neighborhood,u could board a mat to town(as early as possible) & then head to the roundabout near the Fire-station to find the route 107 or 108 mats.

An alternative is to have a cab pick u up from ur abode & take u straight to the US embassy.

do we have pocket friendly guest houses in the surrounding pliz help
I highly doubt these do exist near Gigiri locale(infact from town to Gigiri is high-end with the exception of Ngara) since this is a high end suburb unless u can find one in Ruaka.

Bottomline is how much r u willing to fork out since "pocket friendly" is a relative term.(a budget would suffice in this case).

@Wank,how did u go about transport/lodging arrangements?

All the best:)

Congrats on those job offers. I hope one of them does pan out for you.

No, it shouldn't take up to 3 months before you receive the physical GC in the mail. Most people have received this within a month of arrival.

You will most likely receive the physical GC before the SSN

Notice I qualified the above earlier response with the word "Technically"? Meaning, there could be sometimes be exceptions.

Once you arrive, you can visit the nearest SSN office with your international passport (which should have some sort of stamp indicating your new status, I guess), and any other document given at the POE, and apply for the SSN. Prospective employers are required to E-Verify all potential employees to guard against their employing illegal immigrants, and a SSN is needed in order to do this. But once you're in the system, your potential employer may be able to verify your status.

After your arrival, if an offer is confirmed before you get your SSN, explain to your potential employer about your status and the steps you've taken. Most employers are quite accommodating and will be willing to work out something mutually beneficial to both parties.

To the point and no more explanations....The international passport will be stamped at the POE "admitted DV1". If you got a family, spouse itakuwa admitted DV2....The next day you can visit any ssn office and most likely they will tell you the system has not uploaded your details but they will take in your application and process it immediately its uploaded. Try to get the ID with the free time which will be your DL also. You can also try to take up employment with your I-551 stamp but you must have the ssn with you.

I totally understand the concern about 'rushing for anything available and getting stuck'. It certainly makes sense to calm down and look around wisely. I don't think it's completely out of line for an immigrant engineer to begin work as a Technical Assistant, if he's having such a great difficulty with finding the desired job in his line of profession. It will be a big blow to his ego, no doubt, but it's certainly a lot better than not having anything to do at all. Admittedly, bugger flipping is an extreme example, and I don't honestly expect any of you guys with college degrees and applicable work experience to fall within that range.

The truth is this country can be brutal, like I've mentioned before. Not unless you have endless resources at your disposal, you will soon realize that the hard earned money you came with is fast disappearing because you will start spending as soon as you land. It's a lot worse if you don't have a host helping to foot the bills that starts acquiring from day 1.

As an accountant, you will be fine in the long run, organizations are always in need of accountants. But I suggest you strongly consider getting the applicable CPA License for your State, this will make climbing that ladder easier. You may also want to consider getting an MBA (if you don't have one already).

Thank you for understanding my concerns. Sometimes you explain and people don't seem to get it. Many people tend to tell us that our papers once we land in the US are quite useless. I've been working as a financial accountant for 6 years now. I don't mind doing the smallest entry level job as long as its in accounting. You're right about the ego thing.
No i don't have an MBA,i have always told people that am done doing school lol; but am a CPA, well a CPA from Uganda. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Thankyou All for the information in regards to SSN and GC its very clear that you shouldn't wait for your SSn you have to go and apply at the nearest office as you wait for GC...
Wish Nesh more blessing the visa is yours...
I also wish to congratulate the entire Kenyan( soon to be EA ) forum for making this forum active ..thankyou brothers and sisters from UG as well not forgetting akina Dubai B, Sm1smom big up! we are a family and let pray for each other and encourage one another ...
Hey guyz we have hit PAGE 50...we are doing good as compared to other forums...

just a few hours remain for our bro Nesh to get his visa time counting down :) wish you good luck and hope to hear good news tomorrow ...we are praying 4 u, u will get it u will get it!!
Hey Jimma boy from your signature i can see we are headed same direction ATL, i can see you are under AP can you shade more light on this ...what happened
Karibu sana na ujiskie home...

To the point and no more explanations....The international passport will be stamped at the POE "admitted DV1". If you got a family, spouse itakuwa admitted DV2....The next day you can visit any ssn office and most likely they will tell you the system has not uploaded your details but they will take in your application and process it immediately its uploaded. Try to get the ID with the free time which will be your DL also. You can also try to take up employment with your I-551 stamp but you must have the ssn with you.
so you cant get a job without the SSN?

Thankyou All for the information in regards to SSN and GC its very clear that you shouldn't wait for your SSn you have to go and apply at the nearest office as you wait for GC...
Wish Nesh more blessing the visa is yours...
I also wish to congratulate the entire Kenyan( soon to be EA ) forum for making this forum active ..thankyou brothers and sisters from UG as well not forgetting akina Dubai B, Sm1smom big up! we are a family and let pray for each other and encourage one another ...
Hey guyz we have hit PAGE 50...we are doing good as compared to other forums...

We are praying brother, success will follow each and every person in the House

Technically, you're restricted to attending the public schools (be it elementary, middle and high schools) within your home zone/catchment area. But there are sometimes exceptions to this under mitigating circumstances.

School attendance is based on catchment zoning. Public schools are placed under different school districts. The school district has a series of elementary, middle and high schools that are meant to serve specific neighborhoods. The school districts draw a line on the map based on their counting of the number of people/houses/buildings and they call that area that’s served by the school the ‘catchment’ area.

You cannot, at will, decide to register your kids in a particular public school because of it's reputation if you're not within its catchment. In order to register your kids, you need to provide proof of residency by submitting your lease, mortgage, maintenance/utility bills or tax returns. In most cases, the utility bill will suffice - your hosts can help provide this since I'm assuming those with kids intend for the kids to start school as soon as possible.

Now, if you do move out of that area, and you wish for your kids to attend the school in your new area, you simply have to approach the school with your new lease or something proving your new address. If however, you prefer the previous school your kid(s) is/are attending even after leaving the catchment area, you're not required to withdraw your kid(s). They are free to continue receiving their education in that/those school(s).

Thanks alot for this useful information. I appreciate. By the way, I can see your signature shows yo' doing AOS. Have you got the GC already? Please update your signature.

What are the chances

He fellas,

Salute you all for the bold step of applying and pursuing your dreams. I was shortlisted as winner for DV2013. My CN is AF201300066XXX, what are the chances of being called for an interview with a CN this high? And if the chances are there, probably when would the interview be? Don't wanna wet my pants waiting...:cool: