• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

House,
Hey guys how is the race? Hope everything is nice and will always be nice........................
Nesh & all those guys who are waiting for interviews, just take your time to revise everything especially issues related to your marriages(if applicable). Also remember to go thru the photocopies of the Forms that you sent to KCC>>>>>>>They mostly asks questions from these Forms, your births certs and academic certs. Answer the questions the way they ask(don't give them a story unless when asked to describe otherwise some complicated questions may arise). When asked an obvious quiz, do NOT answer them with "Of course"........................Its a kind of a rude language. Me & ma family just afraid of the unknown climate.......................anyway we might be flying on 23rd Nov, 2012. It is my wish in my prayers for all members to win this race....May God bless everyone. Otherwise niaje? we're in pay day week, kuna mpango? @ Dominsty, Nesh.......Vipi?

pay day week it is! we can work something out!

The AF in our CN stands for FIRST selectees there is also AS for those selected in October i.e. SECOND selectees their CN has AS instead of AF

The AF in our CN stands for FIRST selectees there is also AS for those selected in October i.e. SECOND selectees their CN has AS instead of AF

LOL...u r hilarious:p:p: Regions in the program AF - Africa / AS - Asia / EU - Europe / NA - North America / SA - South America and the CARIBBEAN / OC - Oceania.

Cheers.

Hi guys, i have a table i have put together. It has all the states, population,tax rates prevailing per state, (You will be surprised to know that there are states where they don't pay income tax nor sales tax), property tax, ranking per education performance and ranking per level of job creation. Well the problem is, i have tried to do tables here and i have failed.I can only send the data to Obeez via email so he can post it here. I think it might be useful.

Hook me up...:cool: obeezyb@gmail.com

wanted to ask the experts..
1. how long does it take to get the SSN , do i need to go and apply myself or i have to wait for it??
2. How long does it take to get a drivers license??
3. can you get employed before you get you green card??

Hi House,
Heard of the sad story happening now at some states?
Especially in NewJersey, NewYork and other neigbouring states................Pennsylvania is expected to be hit by this storm tommorrow..........Our guys there, are in problem(water all over in the streets, power outage, strong winds e.t.c) And here we are, thursty for America(If it was not money!!!!!!!!!.................I love Africa)
Our Hosts there in States,we are wid you in our prayers.
Jah Love

Heard of the sad story happening now at some states?
Especially in NewJersey, NewYork and other neigbouring states................Pennsylvania is expected to be hit by this storm tommorrow..........Our guys there, are in problem(water all over in the streets, power outage, strong winds e.t.c)
Our hearts & prayers go out to them.

And here we are, thursty for America(If it was not money!!!!!!!!!.................I love Africa)
If u made enough to last u a "life time",would u come back?

AMEN

Yes! Yes! Yes! and yes. You told me that KENYA ni baba na mama.............AFRICA is the home for the BABA na MAMA(parents) How can you abandon your parents?

You told me that KENYA ni baba na mama
true but...

let me quote from the good book:Ephesians 5:31 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."

We can then transpose the verse into the DV context;much like Abraham.We r out to chart a new life & future:):)

How can you abandon your parents?
refer to the above.

Good day brothers and sisters,
I wanted to ask you if there is someone who got the 2nd Notification letter today,
i was hoping start hearing people receiving them today.
wishing you the best

1. how long does it take to get the SSN , do i need to go and apply myself or i have to wait for it??

Papas an,
1. Once you land you have to go to the SSN office to request it. You will receive within 2 weeks. There is sometimes confusion arising from Poe, as you check a box on paperwork requesting it. This is never fwd to the SSN office, so you do need to go to the local SSN office. You will need your paperwork from the POE and passport.
2. You will need to seat for a computer drivers education test before getting the drivers license. Once passed you can schedule the driving test .The drivers license is received within a week thereafter. You can still drive with a learner a permit while waiting to pass drivers test or waiting for the drivers license to be mailed.
3. In most places you cannot get employed without the green card and SSN.

You can request a state ID if not prepared to seat for the computer drivers test. This will suffice as ID, when applying for a job.

1. It is advisable to visit the nearest SSN office and put in your application in person once you receive your GC. Usually, at the point of entry, they will ask you if you want them to apply for the SSN for you, and you will of course answer yes (like most newly landed immigrants have done in the past). But because of the huge bureaucratic practices involved with government offices, most immigrants end up waiting for a long time without receiving the SSN.

2. It depends on the individual involved. How quickly you're able to pass both the written and road tests (and vision exam) determines how soon you can be issued with a driver's license. Of course, this is also assuming you have a vehicle for the road test at your disposal. Your signature indicates Atlanta as your POE, this link provides more information regarding driver's license in Georgia:

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/Dldata.aspx?con=1740871758&ty=dl

3. Technically, the answer is No! You need your GC in order to apply for a SSN which you need to apply for employment.

Well, the fact of the matter is there are no guarantees in life. yes, it's possible to continue along your current line of employment, but it's most likely not going to be automatic. It may take a while to get back along that line, you may have to apply your current skills to some other form of employment if you do not wish to become a burden/charge on your hosts.

If you're in the nursing profession and are desirous of continuing along that line, you will no doubt have to enroll an in academic institution to ensure that your training is at par within that profession, and yes, you will pay tuition and other fees for that. (Only Elementary, Junior High and High Schools are tuition free). You will not likely get employed as a nurse based on your current education and experience. Doctors and a couple of other professions go through the same process, I believe.

Doing odd jobs in order to make ends meet while trying to re-establish yourself is not a bad way to start in my opinion. (Again, this is my personal opinion). Oh yes, I flipped burgers :D when I initially moved to Europe to get started. I also worked as a Telemarketer when I first arrived in North America. I hated both jobs with a passion, but they paid my bills and enabled me to get started. They enabled me to independently establish myself (I didn't have any host family/friends to stay with). I know of an engineer that worked as a discount stores sales person (don't be deceived by the fancy title, it was a door to door sales job :eek:), pilots who worked as cab drivers and so on when they first arrived and are at the top of their original professions as of today.

Thanks a lot SM1smom. I really appreciate all the help you are providing here. About jobs, please shade some light on this area, what are the chances that one will continue in their line of work? I have heard that most people pay tuition for nursing and well, they do nursing jobs, while others end up doing odd jobs ( u know, flipping burgers), work in stores etc.

Originally Posted by catchme
Thanks a lot SM1smom. I really appreciate all the help you are providing here. About jobs, please shade some light on this area, what are the chances that one will continue in their line of work? I have heard that most people pay tuition for nursing and well, they do nursing jobs, while others end up doing odd jobs ( u know, flipping burgers), work in stores etc.

Well, the fact of the matter is there are no guarantees in life. yes, it's possible to continue along your current line of employment, but it's most likely not going to be automatic. It may take a while to get back along that line, you may have to apply your current skills to some other form of employment if you do not wish to become a burden/charge on your hosts.

If you're in the nursing profession and are desirous of continuing along that line, you will no doubt have to enroll an in academic institution to ensure that your training is at par within that profession, and yes, you will pay tuition and other fees for that. (Only Elementary, Junior High and High Schools are tuition free). You will not likely get employed as a nurse based on your current education and experience. Doctors and a couple of other professions go through the same process, I believe.

Doing odd jobs in order to make ends meet while trying to re-establish yourself is not a bad way to start in my opinion. (Again, this is my personal opinion). Oh yes, I flipped burgers :D when I initially moved to Europe to get started. I also worked as a Telemarketer when I first arrived in North America. I hated both jobs with a passion, but they paid my bills and enabled me to get started. They enabled me to independently establish myself (I didn't have any host family/friends to stay with). I know of an engineer that worked as a discount stores sales person (don't be deceived by the fancy title, it was a door to door sales job :eek:), pilots who worked as cab drivers and so on when they first arrived and are at the top of their original professions as of today.

Originally Posted by PAPASAN

1. It is advisable to visit the nearest SSN office and put in your application in person once you receive your GC. Usually, at the point of entry, they will ask you if you want them to apply for the SSN for you, and you will of course answer yes (like most newly landed immigrants have done in the past). But because of the huge bureaucratic practices involved with government offices, most immigrants end up waiting for a long time without receiving the SSN.

2. It depends on the individual involved. How quickly you're able to pass both the written and road tests (and vision exam) determines how soon you can be issued with a driver's license. Of course, this is also assuming you have a vehicle for the road test at your disposal. Your signature indicates Atlanta as your POE, this link provides more information regarding driver's license in Georgia:

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/Dldata...40871758&ty=dl

3. Technically, the answer is No! You need your GC in order to apply for a SSN which you need to apply for employment.

My Take:-I am very grateful you took the time out of your busy schedule to address questions from the house.
"you may have to apply your current skills to some other form of employment if you do not wish to become a burden/charge on your hosts. "
To maintain the friendship and respect i think it will be better if one does those odd jobs to help her/his host in buying groceries as Minto64 said early and again to move out almost immediately. Heshima jamani. Thank you once more Sm1smom you are GREAT! I appreciate the time you give the House. MaKiki

Originally Posted by Minto64 24th October 2012
Living with Hosts
1. Please help with the cooking and cleaning. Not helping will be the quickest way for your host to start dropping hints that you need to move. Remember that your host works and if after a long day of work they come and have to start cooking for you and your family, there will be some friction.
2. Offer to buy some groceries for your host. This can be done within first month. This is just but a goodwill token. (Do the odd jobs to get the money)
3. If your host goes to church and you were not a regular at home you might have to get with the program and accompany them.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi

Can't be said better than this......you start small with a goal in mind. A humble beginning brings a happy ending. Talk less and listen more, and you live the dream.

Interview tomorrow at american embassy nairobi,kenya...6:30am

Thank you guys especially Wankin master Ash, Catchme and the rest for your prayers and encouragement,Tomorrow is the day..that the lord has made for me to go pick my visa!!i have a strong feeling that all is going to be well.Guys iam sorry have been offline for quite a long period of time i have had problems accessing net of late but thanks to Donmisty,dude been allowing me to access net he knws what i mean!!so the smart guys in suit i meet tomorrow my anser will be my AOS is from our homeboy Barrack himself so they should take a hike to hell and back on foot!!!!lol,i will see you guys again tomorrow plase keep me in your prayers and i belive we are gonna come out of this together stronger!!!!!

Thanks again for addressing our concerns. Dubai too thanks a lot. It makes a lot of sense to do those small jobs in the beginning but i have also read something from someone who has settled already that we get desperate and rush for whatever is available and we end up getting stuck. You know, like we fail to make it back to our professions. I do feel for the pilot and the engineer, geez man if a pilot did cabs then this accountant is gonna do burgers for sho. lol.

Can't be said better than this......you start small with a goal in mind. A humble beginning brings a happy ending. Talk less and listen more, and you live the dream.

My idea of humble beginning would be to do the smallest job in my profession and then grow little by little. I think its much harder to start in another line and then make it back. Well, i guess am gonna have to pray about it.

Thank you guys especially Wankin master Ash, Catchme and the rest for your prayers and encouragement,Tomorrow is the day..that the lord has made for me to go pick my visa!!i have a strong feeling that all is going to be well.Guys iam sorry have been offline for quite a long period of time i have had problems accessing net of late but thanks to Donmisty,dude been allowing me to access net he knws what i mean!!so the smart guys in suit i meet tomorrow my anser will be my AOS is from our homeboy Barrack himself so they should take a hike to hell and back on foot!!!!lol,i will see you guys again tomorrow plase keep me in your prayers and i belive we are gonna come out of this together stronger!!!!!
Good luck brother. We'll be praying for sho, and don't pull a Wankin on us boy.