• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

For sheez MelanieT, slow down, I'm beginning to picture you 'hyper-ventilating' :D, slow down, you will be ok!

Sm1smom, you mentioned "You can leave that section blank if you have direct access to your mail."
Is it really okay to leave it blank? Shall I at least write N/A or None?

You can put either 'N/A' or 'None' under the "c/o" section if it makes you feel better. I left mine blank since it wasn't applicable, USCIS isn't going to sweat people for minor stuff like that.

Regarding the 2 passport photos, you can use a pencil or a pen to put your info at the back, I don't think it matters. I used a pencil to write my name, DOB, and case number at the back of mine, never had any issue with it.

I'm a student and am not employed... I know F1 are not allowed to receive payment.

Not quite sure as to the type of school you're attending or which program you're studying. F1 visa holders are allowed to work and receive payment, not sure what you're institution has been telling you. The only limitation F1 students are likely to face regarding work is the number of hours they're allowed to work. Also, F1 students are not allowed to work off-campus in their 1st year of study, if I'm not mistaken, otherwise F1 visa holders are allowed and can receive payment.

Can I send a total of $1070 in one money order or do I have to separate them?

Combine the payment into one money order. Better still, if you have a bank account, you might want to consider using a personal check to make the payment, that will enable you monitor when the payment is cashed by USCIS.

)I live in California, meaning I send my I-485 to:
USCIS
PO Box 21281
Phoenix, AZ 85036

correct?

Absolutely NOT! You will be sending your I-485 package to the Chicago lock box, that's where all DV cases are sent, regardless of which State the applicant might be based.

Will the money order be send along with the I-485 to the same address? Or do I send each to different places?

Payment has to be received with the I-485, so the I-485 and the AOS fee must be sent together to the same address. I would say don't stress yourself over sending an I-134 with your I-485 package. It's obvious you don't have one at the moment and you don't want to delay sending in your I-485 package over that. Your interview letter will most likely ask for an affidavit of support, you can use the time in between sending in your package and receiving your interview letter to look for a sponsor or to find a solution to how you will prove yourself financially.

You might want to spend some time going over previous postings on this thread (from page 1) to get a good understanding of this entire process.

Response below:

Hello everyone,
4 more days till I send my application package (I-485).
I have some final questions (Few may be obvious):

1. Is the fee for AOS 1070$ ? For some reason I get confused with 440$. The AOS fee is $1070 per applicant. The $440 amount you're getting confused with is the previous DV processing fee/payment to the Department of States, which has since been reduced to $330 per applicant. I hope you already made that payment as you will need to include it's receipt in your I-485 package.

2. Do I need to include my I-134 in the package? SOme say Yes, Some say No. I would prefer NOT. Please let me know on this. No you don't have to, your interview letter may however request for you to bring along an affidavit of support, that is when you need to make sure you take it along to your interview.

3. I am an F1 graduating this June. No job. Looking for a sponsor. What do they require the sponsor to show as his supporting documents? Will the pay stubs, tax returns for 5 years, an employment letter from the current company and a 3 month bank statement suffice? Please note that the statement can only be taken for 3 months if required. Is that OK? Some say its fine, some say it should be for 1 year, some say 3, some said 5. Please let me know on this too. Your sponsor fills out the affidavit of support (I-134 in this case).
Awaiting your help,
Cheers!

WOW, I just got to know that evry DV case must send their applications to Chicago! My question is that since I live In California,
1) Will they transfer my application to the USCIS location nearest to where I live?

2) If I want to send USPS express, is it
USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

OR

USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120
?

Hi Rnotk,

First thank you for your response. We are checking our recipt numbers almost every day actually. I-485 recipt numbers are don't show anything. But other recipt numbers (Travel - Work) are ok and they already aproved. So we recived our combo cards too.

Actually my question about our combo cards. I heard who took interview last year that after interview if they aproved files they should take Combo Cards. But our interview they didn't take them. They took just our I94 forms. I really confused about process after they aprove files.

And some experiences I heard they sent them to lobby for take welcome letter after interview and stamp their passports.

Maybe people can share what happened after interview or which documents they took while interview.

Thank you again...

Thank you sooo much for everyone who has helped me so far! I'm getting closer than ever!

1) So I just read page 1-30 and my eyes are about to fall out x_x. I came across a couple of forms and I'm not sure if I need them. Considering I'm an international student, not married, don't work.
They are:

G-325
I-131
I-796

----------------------

2) Also, for this thing (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf) I honestly don't understand it abit!
What are the number under 100% and 125%, monthly income? or total money in your bank?
I'm pretty sure my father has the finance, but he asked me how he can proof it..anyone knows how?
Do I have to show his bank statement? Proof of his job? Is there a form to proof?

I really don't understand :(

Even if this is required for the interview only, and not for the I-485, but I rather figure it out now (especially because he lives on the other half of the world and sending documents takes time).

Last edited by a moderator:
2) Also, for the form I-131 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf) I honestly don't understand it abit!
What are the number under 100% and 125%, monthly income? or total money in your bank?
I'm pretty sure my father has the finance, but he asked me how he can proof it..anyone knows how?
Do I have to show his bank statement? Proof of his job? Is there a form to proof?

I really don't understand :(

Mel
As far as i know only an American citizen or a LPR can fill out I-131 for you. You have to find someone in US who agrees to fill out I 131.

Thank you sooo much for everyone who has helped me so far! I'm getting closer than ever!

1) So I just read page 1-30 and my eyes are about to fall out x_x. I came across a couple of forms and I'm not sure if I need them. Considering I'm an international student, not married, don't work.
They are:

G-325
I-131
I-796

If you are a student it is advisable not to fill out I 765.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha you caught me, I was freaked out :) I tend to be over worried as a person~ :p
Thanks sm1smom for everything~ You really do have a motherly figure :) That is..if you are a woman, cause I keep on reading 'mom' in your name :)

Hi Rnotk,

First thank you for your response. We are checking our recipt numbers almost every day actually. I-485 recipt numbers are don't show anything. But other recipt numbers (Travel - Work) are ok and they already aproved. So we recived our combo cards too.

Actually my question about our combo cards. I heard who took interview last year that after interview if they aproved files they should take Combo Cards. But our interview they didn't take them. They took just our I94 forms. I really confused about process after they aprove files.

And some experiences I heard they sent them to lobby for take welcome letter after interview and stamp their passports.

Maybe people can share what happened after interview or which documents they took while interview.

Thank you again...

Berk77

I also did apply for the EAD/AP card, and received before the interview. (few weeks before interview)
During the interview I presented my EAD/AP card to IO, and he took a look at it but did not take it (I still have one).
My IO did not even take my I-94 either.
As far as passport, IO specifically told me they no longer put stamp on passport anymore in my case.

One thing that you need to be aware is that the process is somewhat unique to each applicant based on the reports here.
This could be because of each IO or FO is different.
So even your case is not exactly what other reported, do not panic.

Hello Everyone,
I am almost done with my I 485 application. I just wanted to clear few doubts
1) there is no A# for F1 visa students
2) On 1st page it ask for expires on. Should F1 students leave that blank?
3) Do we need to include any form with i 485 to receive all the updates and notifications on phone and via email?

Thank you.

Thanks.

I-485

Guys,

My daughter is US citizen. when she was born I got some help from goverment (WIC) as my wages were low. But i canceled it after i got decent job after ~ 1yr.

On pg 3 question number 2. Have you received public assistance in united staes. If I say YES will this be a problem or just simply put "No".

1- I am also on F1 and there is no #A in my case
2- for expire on, I wrote duration of stay (It was written on my I94)
3- http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-1145.pdf

Nope, no Alien number for F1s, unless you get an EAD for OPT, in which case you may or may not have an A#.

Expiration date for F1s is the date on your I-20. People write D/S, or the date on visa, or the date on I-20; I don't think you'll be grilled about that, but technically it's the date on I-20. Do not just leave it blank.

Not quite sure as to the type of school you're attending or which program you're studying. F1 visa holders are allowed to work and receive payment, not sure what you're institution has been telling you. The only limitation F1 students are likely to face regarding work is the number of hours they're allowed to work. Also, F1 students are not allowed to work off-campus in their 1st year of study, if I'm not mistaken, otherwise F1 visa holders are allowed and can receive payment.

F1s can only work half-time on campus while studying, except CPT which is for internships. So for AOS purposes CPT would not provide enough employment. After they graduate, they can do OPT which is full-time employment and could be considered as regular job unlike CPT. If a student works as GA on campus, it may be enough if their W-2 shows enough income above those poverty levels.

Guys,

My daughter is US citizen. when she was born I got some help from goverment (WIC) as my wages were low. But i canceled it after i got decent job after ~ 1yr.

On pg 3 question number 2. Have you received public assistance in united staes. If I say YES will this be a problem or just simply put "No".

Hmm, technically you did not receive public assistance, your daughter did. I guess?

Here is a link at USCIS web page that says WIC does not count for "public charge purposes". But you may still have to disclose it in the form. If they discover you did receive it and did not disclose it, it may be a bigger problem.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=829b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

In form I-485, what do put for part 3: "Were you inspected by US Immigration Officer?", I am not sure what it means. Is it asking if someone did the paper work including the I-94 and seal on passport? Shouldnt it be YES for everybody?

Also, in the same I-485 part 3, What do I put in occupation if I am on F1? I thought occupation meant 'job'. So since I dont have a job and I am a student, should I leave it blank?

In form I-485, what do put for part 3: "Were you inspected by US Immigration Officer?", I am not sure what it means. Is it asking if someone did the paper work including the I-94 and seal on passport? Shouldnt it be YES for everybody?

It will be YES for you. lot of illegal immigrants also apply for GC and they just ran across the border or used other means. I 485 is common for everyone applying LPR and thats why they ask that question.