• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Supporting Documents for I-485

Hi, I'm curious to know what is the least I can send with the I-485. My husband's number was current at the beginning of April but i've held back from sending the package out because he is still waiting on some tax return transcripts and his employment letter. Are they necessary at this stage? I am quite anxious for it to get sent immediately as I'd like to get an EAD asap. We are going to wait to do the Affidavit of Support til the interview, can my husband sign it (he has a visa and is the DV winner, I am his visa dependent and have no employment currently) or do we have to find someone else to sign it?

Hi, I'm curious to know what is the least I can send with the I-485. My husband's number was current at the beginning of April but i've held back from sending the package out because he is still waiting on some tax return transcripts and his employment letter. Are they necessary at this stage? I am quite anxious for it to get sent immediately as I'd like to get an EAD asap. We are going to wait to do the Affidavit of Support til the interview, can my husband sign it (he has a visa and is the DV winner, I am his visa dependent and have no employment currently) or do we have to find someone else to sign it?

I don't think the tax and employment letter is not "must" item with I-485.
My interview was in March, but I did not file tax until recently. so I include my tax form (2009-2011)
if it is necessary, you will be asked at the time of your interview.

if you want to show your financial stability, you can just include recent pay stubs and bank statement for few months.

There's no big deal if you don't have your tax documents on hand now. Time is of essence when it comes to DV AOS. Send whatever you have on hand with your I-485 package if you're already current. Your husband can include a copy of his original offer of employment letter in the package (he must have signed one when he started working). You can take the verification of employment letter (or whatever form of employment letter he's waiting for) along to your interview when the time comes. Your husband signing the Affidavit of Support shouldn't create any problem (especially if you guys are H1/H4, and he's able to show satisfactory income as the head of the house-hold).

Your husband signing the Affidavit of Support shouldn't create any problem (especially if you guys are H1/H4, and he's able to show satisfactory income as the head of the house-hold).

Quick question to inform myself: so if a couple goes for DV, the primary applicant should sign AoS for the spouse? I mean they are married and they are going through the process together, isn't it kinda obvious that primary has a spouse sharing the same household and finances? Won't the IO approve derivative application without an AoS ?

DISCLAIMER: All opinons expressed, by this writer/poster, so far on this thread or on any other thread in this forum do not constitute nor are they intended to imply legal opinons. These are simply my personal opinions!

so if a couple goes for DV, the primary applicant should sign AoS for the spouse? I mean they are married and they are going through the process together, isn't it kinda obvious that primary has a spouse sharing the same household and finances? Won't the IO approve derivative application without an AoS ?

I guess my previous post regarding Affidavit of Support could make do with additional clarification. Personally, I do not think there's any need for an Affidavit of Support if the Principal Applicant undergoing a DV AOS process is on a H1 visa (for instance) and, of course, is currently earning an income. I very much doubt the IO will insist on it before approving the application (even if the interview letter requests for one and the principal applicant shows up without it).

However, if the Principal Applicant is on a H4 (for instance) or some other type of visa that prohibits the principal applicant from working, and the spouse who is also adjusting status as a derivative of the principal applicant is on a H1 visa, then the spouse can sign the Affidavit of Spouse since the spouse has been acting as the head of the household already for tax purposes. At the end of the day, the IO may not even request for the Affidavit to be submitted they show up for the interview, this however is a viable solution to couples who may be in this situation and do not want to involve some external party in their immigration process.

Again, these are simply my personal opinions, they do not constitute legal opinions and I do not work for USCIC, hence I'm not claiming a definitive knowledge of the internal workings of USCIC.

Last edited by a moderator:
DISCLAIMER: All opinons expressed, by this writer/poster, so far on this thread or on any other thread in this forum do not constitute nor are they intended to imply legal opinons. These are simply my personal opinions!

I guess my previous post regarding Affidavit of Support could make do with additional clarification. Personally, I do not think there's any need for an Affidavit of Support if the Principal Applicant undergoing a DV AOS process is on a H1 visa (for instance) and, of course, is currently earning an income. I very much doubt the IO will insist on it before approving the application (even if the interview letter requests for one and the principal applicant shows up without it).

However, if the Principal Applicant is on a H4 (for instance) or some other type of visa that prohibits the principal applicant from working, and the spouse who is also adjusting status as a derivative of the principal applicant is on a H1 visa, then the spouse can sign the Affidavit of Spouse since the spouse has been acting as the head of the household already for tax purposes. At the end of the day, the IO may not even request for the Affidavit to be submitted they show up for the interview, this however is a viable solution to couples who may be in this situation and do not want to involve some external party in their immigration process.

Again, these are simply my personal opinions, they do not constitute legal opinions and I do not work for USCIC, hence I'm not claiming a definitive knowledge of the internal workings of USCIC.

What if the applicant us on F1?

What if the applicant us on F1?

Congratulations Kajore!! Wish you a good luck to find an expected job!

I do have a curiosity about I-134 (affidavit of support), people having similar experiences may want to share.

I know, I-134 is a generic document that USCIS asked to bring during interview. How many of you have experienced or heard about asking this form in real interview by IOs? Of course, it is more applicable to the applicants with dependents/family. I will appreciate if you wish to share your experience in the matter. Thanks.

Yeah they may ask for I-134 affidavit of support. Myself and my wife are on F1 and they have specifically asked for it on the interview letter.

i received my card today!! I can't believe it's finished. it went very smoothly. now I'd like to find a new job.

Congrats Kazore!

I'm on F1 and I have no Dependant. My sponsor is back home, so he can't fill the I-134. I'm wondering if there is another way to prove my financial stability..

Is I-134 (affidavit of support) necessary for a student on F1 even if one is working as a full time Graduate Assistant with enough income to support oneself?

Is I-134 (affidavit of support) necessary for a student on F1 even if one is working as a full time Graduate Assistant with enough income to support oneself?

For the umpteenth time, the poverty guidelines :)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If you are making more than the 125% of HHS Poverty Guidelines, you should be fine. They start with a household of two which is at $19K level; for one person it'd be at 14K level. This is before taxes. You can take a printout of this pdf with you just in case. Also, your I-20 shows how much you can afford to stay in the school, that's a proof too. I do not know for a fact if these are sufficient simply because I do not know anybody who got their green cards under these circumstances, but it seems to be sufficient.

Guidelines for I-134 affidavit of support are 100% of poverty level, not 125% that is required for I-864.

interview letter

Hi Guys,

This forum is a great source of information.
I submitted my i-485 application in February and now I am waiting my interview letter. USCIS agent called me recently and told me that my application was sent to my local USCIS office and I should wait 60 days response from USCIS. I am going to schedule infopass appointment to check my case status. I am wondering if I can speak with my field officer regarding my case status. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Usually it takes 15-20 days to receive the interview letter after biometrics are done. There have been instances where some applicants received IL before biometrics or as late as 60 days after biometrics. Wait for two to three weeks and then check with FO. Check the timeline and update yours if you havent done so yet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Fgxc0lGWkV6QlE

Hi Guys,
I submitted my i-485 application in February and now I am waiting my interview letter. USCIS agent called me recently and told me that my application was sent to my local USCIS office and I should wait 60 days response from USCIS. I am going to schedule infopass appointment to check my case status. I am wondering if I can speak with my field officer regarding my case status. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks

So they called you to inform you? Never heard that one before. :confused:

I-485 Receipt Number Format

Hope, all are doing great.

I have a quick question regarding the format of I-485 receipt number for DV AOS process, Does it start with MSCXXXXXXXXX ?