• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

again notarization issue!

Sm1smom, thank you, I imitate the master :)
What are the documents that need to be notarized for the interview? translated copies of birth/marriage certificates? what else? just confused? passport?? more?? Thanks in advance.

What are the documents that need to be notarized for the interview? translated copies of birth/marriage certificates? what else? just confused? passport?? more?? Thanks in advance.

Ok, let me clarify a few things about copies first:

1) For the interview, you should bring originals AND copies of everything you already submitted, plus whatever else you think you should bring additionally. Originals because they need to see them, copies because you don't want to give the original if they decide to keep them.

2) They can always lose something in your file, so it is best to go there with originals and copies of everything even though you have already submitted them. In my case, my interview letter actually did ask for it as one of the items in the list.

3) Anything you can easily replace (like a letter from your employer or a transcript) does not need to be copied, you can simply give the original if you want.

4) They just need to see the passport, so no copies needed (unless they misplaced the copies you sent).

5) Copies do not need to be notarized, only the translations need to be notarized.

So to answer your question, anything that needs to be translated to English should have a notarized translation similar to that in the link I have posted before.

Anything that is not in English and needs translation may contain the following (and possibly more):
-birth cert.
-marriage cert.
-national ID card
-civil registry records
-military records
-police records (may not be needed for AOS)
-court orders
-High school diploma
-Any other degree diplomas/certificates
-bank accounts

Ok, let me clarify a few things about copies first:

1) For the interview, you should bring originals AND copies of everything you already submitted, plus whatever else you think you should bring additionally. Originals because they need to see them, copies because you don't want to give the original if they decide to keep them.

2) They can always lose something in your file, so it is best to go there with originals and copies of everything even though you have already submitted them. In my case, my interview letter actually did ask for it as one of the items in the list.

3) Anything you can easily replace (like a letter from your employer or a transcript) does not need to be copied, you can simply give the original if you want.

4) They just need to see the passport, so no copies needed (unless they misplaced the copies you sent).

5) Copies do not need to be notarized, only the translations need to be notarized.

So to answer your question, anything that needs to be translated to English should have a notarized translation similar to that in the link I have posted before.

Thank you very much!!

I have not yet received 2NL via email b'cos of problem in email address. I called KCC and they ask me to send an email with correct email address so that they can send that letter. In the mean time, I just wonder, do we really need that letter while applying? I reviewed previous forum contents and they only mentioned '1NL/notification letter'. I already paid the fees and they send me the receipt on 2nd July, hope I will get that soon.

I think you need it. That the 1st thing the IO asked at the interview, the 2 letters from DOS.

I have not yet received 2NL via email b'cos of problem in email address. I called KCC and they ask me to send an email with correct email address so that they can send that letter. In the mean time, I just wonder, do we really need that letter while applying? I reviewed previous forum contents and they only mentioned '1NL/notification letter'. I already paid the fees and they send me the receipt on 2nd July, hope I will get that soon.

Naaaw, that post was made by a bot. It's the same as the one previously masquerading as "adamkia" We shouldn't bother to respond to anything it posts!

I just submitted my i485 package to the Chicago lock box via ups next day and realized i have forgotten to include my pay tabs and tax return. My wife is the DV winner with a H4 status. Are these missing documents critical for my case? If so, can i mail out these docs tomorrow and reference my i485? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I just submitted my i485 package to the Chicago lock box via ups next day and realized i have forgotten to include my pay tabs and tax return. My wife is the DV winner with a H4 status. Are these missing documents critical for my case? If so, can i mail out these docs tomorrow and reference my i485? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

nodswen,

The documents are critical for the case but at the interview stage. Do not mail out these docs tomorrow. Once docs are submitted to the field office and they send you interview letter they will list some docs they want you to bring for the interview. In the event that they do not list financial docs, you will still need to bring them for the interview.
The Chicago office just checks that your Case number is current(DV Selection Letter was included) and that the I-485 was completed correctly. If the above is n order they send it to the field office who will adjudicate the case.
All the best.

nodswen,

The documents are critical for the case but at the interview stage. Do not mail out these docs tomorrow. Once docs are submitted to the field office and they send you interview letter they will list some docs they want you to bring for the interview. In the event that they do not list financial docs, you will still need to bring them for the interview.
The Chicago office just checks that your Case number is current(DV Selection Letter was included) and that the I-485 was completed correctly. If the above is n order they send it to the field office who will adjudicate the case.
All the best.

You just made my day. Thank you, sir!

yes that's absolutely right, whatever wasn't submitted in the i-485 package will be asked at the interview.

yes that's absolutely right, whatever wasn't submitted in the i-485 package will be asked at the interview.

It's a relief to know this. I just didn't want the missing documents to be the reason they delay the whole I-485 process.

It's a relief to know this. I just didn't want the missing documents to be the reason they delay the whole I-485 process.

They will delay it, but later ;) Joke aside, the reason people get anxious about the interview is if there is anything that you can't provide during the interview, your application gets delayed. I think initially they don't check any particulars. The lockbox checks if you submit the forms, $1070 check, DV letter, and you are current. Later, NBC checks probably for consistency between your application and your DV forms, verifies that you are really eligible, etc.

I have a distinct feeling that they don't check any particulars until the day of the interview. My IO asked me for the DV fee receipt even though it was in the file. We were told that this application goes through many hands before it ends up on IOs desk, so at every stage there may be checks for a different list of items. I know people who did not even submit DV fee and they were told during the interview that they should send it soon, after they sent it they got their welcome letter within a week. Of course every FO and IO may not be forgiving so it is best to send everything up front not to risk unnecessary delays.

There is usually 4-5 month wait for regular 485s but DV applications should be handled faster. Have you ever contacted USCIS or took an infopass for your FO? I really think they may have not realized it was a DV AOS. That's why people should keep calling them until things start moving. You are lucky that you were current early enough to afford waiting, and apparently visas for your country didn't run out in the meanwhile.

I contacted USCIS twice on the phone, both times a level 2 rep said the case was "proceeding as normal" but it was always a bit worrying because there was never anything in the online status. I looked at the 2011 spreadsheet and it also showed someone waiting that long at the boston FO so I figured they must just be busy.

I guess I'm lucky I was current so early.. yipes.

i received my card today!! I can't believe it's finished. it went very smoothly. now I'd like to find a new job.

Congratulations Kajore!! Wish you a good luck to find an expected job!

I do have a curiosity about I-134 (affidavit of support), people having similar experiences may want to share.

I know, I-134 is a generic document that USCIS asked to bring during interview. How many of you have experienced or heard about asking this form in real interview by IOs? Of course, it is more applicable to the applicants with dependents/family. I will appreciate if you wish to share your experience in the matter. Thanks.

I have a question regarding copies of documents in my AOS package. Is it required to make a regular photocopy or a printed electronic copy can be acceptable?
Thanks