• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

CP is lot quicker than AOS !!!!!!!

My case # is AS56**. I am doing AOS and just submitted my docs last week. My friend back home is doing CP with case # AS62**. He has already completed visa interview o April 1 and he will collecting visa this week.

Are we in danger of not getting GC here with AOS as there is limitation of 7% from any country of total DV visa?

CP is lot quicker than AOS !!!!!!!
Yes, that's the sad truth about AOS. That's why I always try to tell people that they should ponder about CP seriously if they think they are in danger.

Are we in danger of not getting GC here with AOS as there is limitation of 7% from any country of total DV visa?

It is always probable. 7% is actually an upper bound. Your country's quota can be much lower than that. Look up your country's quota, if it is pretty low, then yes, it can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Congratulations on your green card, as well as your patience :) I would go nuts. Did you ask why you had to wait that long? Any insight would be helpful for future reference.

Thanks!
I think it was just the processing backlog at the Boston FO, according to the processing times site they are/were pretty busy. Everything up until waiting on the interview notice was very fast, then it was a long wait for the notice.

Yes, that's the sad truth about AOS. That's why I always try to tell people that they should ponder about CP seriously if they think they are in danger.
It is always probable. 7% is actually an upper bound. Your country's quota can be much lower than that. Look up your country's quota, if it is pretty low, then yes, it can happen.

aos13,

Thanks for the response. I thought AS56** is preety low number and decided for AOS. Thought AOS will be better option as we are already here. May be there is lot of back ground checking... Just looking at trend it looks like it takes 2-3 months for this process. getting lil concerned.

Thanks!
I think it was just the processing backlog at the Boston FO, according to the processing times site they are/were pretty busy. Everything up until waiting on the interview notice was very fast, then it was a long wait for the notice.

There is usually 4-5 month wait for regular 485s but DV applications should be handled faster. Have you ever contacted USCIS or took an infopass for your FO? I really think they may have not realized it was a DV AOS. That's why people should keep calling them until things start moving. You are lucky that you were current early enough to afford waiting, and apparently visas for your country didn't run out in the meanwhile.

Hi, thanks for the great advice so far for us all doing AOS. My husband is the principle applicant and I have been doing the paperwork for the both of us. Trying to avoid a $750 fee that the lawyer tried to charge us for checking through it as we simply can't afford it. I am unable to work on my current visa (O-3) and so I wanted to know if any one here has had an experience of getting the EAD and how long it took, what the timeline was from filing. I desperately need to find a job but I'm not sure whether to wait for the EAD (not guaranteed) or to just try and find a job with someone willing to sponsor a work visa. The last time I had a work visa it took 5 months from preparation to start of work. Also where on the USCIS site or form instructions does it say that tax transcripts/ employment letter/pay stubs/bank statements are necessary? I see on the I-485 instructions that Affadavit of Support is needed if the I-485 is based on entry as a fiance, relative visa petition or if it's an employment based petition. None of these seem relevant to the Diversity Visa. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

in my case, I applied for EAD as the same time as I-485 (beginning of Jan 2013), and received EAD mid March.

You may not see it anywhere but the list of documents required for interview may specifically ask for I-134 affidavit of support if you do not work fulltime. You do not need to submit now but make sure to ask people before hand so that you can prepare it when required, ie for interview.
Myself had a hard time finding someone to sign it for quite sometime. So suggest asking people asap. Good luck!

Thanks varxx, I just took a look at the I-134 and it is intense! I can understand why it is hard to get anyone other than a family member or very close friend or employer to sign this. Does it basically mean that even though you have a green card you are not able to access public assistance if you needed it? I couldn't claim unemployment benefits when i lost my job because it would jeopardise any green card application.

Hi everyone
I am wondering if I should change to AOS or just keep doing CP.
I am in US and my numbers could be current anywhere between June and August (Egypt) do you think I would have time to do AOS and get the visa before Sep-30, I much prefer doing AOS as I won't need to travel overseas.

Hi Everyone,

I am about to file my i-485 package by myself. I am a college student on F-1 visa(DV Case number - 2013AS000053**).

So far, I have got these documents ready. (I am not sending I-131 and I-765 because I won't work and leave US...)

- Cover Letter for the i-485 package
- Cheque of $1070
- 2 passport Photographs
- Form I-485
- Form G-325A: Biographic Information
- Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Sealed Envelope)
- DV original application
- Notification letter (with bar code)
- AOS e-mail letter
- Fee receipt paper
- Copy of passport
- Copy of visa
- Copy of I-94 card
- Copy of birth certificate
- Translation of birth certificate
- Copy of high school certificate
- Translation of high school certificate
- Copy of professional certificate
- Translation of professional certificate
- Copy of Police reference
- Translation of Police reference
- Translator’s certificate
- I-797C copy
- I-20
- School's verification of enrollment
- Verification of On-Campus Employment
- W2's
- Unpaid Internship agreement form
- Recommendation letter copy from the internship
- G-1145

Is there anything missing? What would you do differently if you were to file yours at this moment? I feel very anxious now so I am asking these questions... sorry (-_-;)

Do you think I have to send form I-134? Do I have to include the statement of bank account in my country?

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Hi everyone
I am in US and my numbers could be current anywhere between June and August (Egypt) do you think I would have time to do AOS and get the visa before Sep-30, I much prefer doing AOS as I won't need to travel overseas.

It is not possible to change from cp to aos anyway.

So far, I have got these documents ready. (I am not sending I-131 and I-765 because I won't work and leave US...)
It is actually in your best interest not to send I-765 and maintain your F-1 status until the day of the interview.

- Cover Letter for the i-485 package
- Cheque of $1070
- 2 passport Photographs
- Form I-485
- Form G-325A: Biographic Information
- Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Sealed Envelope)
- DV original application
- Notification letter (with bar code)
- AOS e-mail letter
- Fee receipt paper
- Copy of passport
- Copy of visa
- Copy of I-94 card
- Copy of birth certificate
- Translation of birth certificate
- Copy of high school certificate
- Translation of high school certificate
- Copy of professional certificate
- Translation of professional certificate
- Copy of Police reference
- Translation of Police reference
- Translator’s certificate
- I-797C copy
- I-20 Make sure you send a copy, not the original ! :)
- School's verification of enrollment also add a current transcript from your current school
- Verification of On-Campus Employment
- W2's
- Unpaid Internship agreement form
- Recommendation letter copy from the internship
- G-1145

Do you think I have to send form I-134? Do I have to include the statement of bank account in my country?

I wouldn't worry about finances until the interview; at the interview you may show all necessary documents about your finances.
For now, just send a letter from your employer stating that you are employed and amount of salary.

Hi everyone

If you are going to be current in July or August, it might be better that you are doing CP. There are stories about people getting their green cards on September 30th, after much stress and many infopass sessions, you can save yourself that trouble. On the other hand, there is always a chance that your CP process might get stuck in AP for weeks or months. So it's your decision.

If you are going to be current in July or August, it might be better that you are doing CP. There are stories about people getting their green cards on September 30th, after much stress and many infopass sessions, you can save yourself that trouble. On the other hand, there is always a chance that your CP process might get stuck in AP for weeks or months. So it's your decision.
aos13, thanks I really appreciate your help, I will wait till this month visa numbers are published, if it is still no much progress I will keep doing CP.

Number 45xxx is going to be current in June. If you started doing CP, that is your only choice from the point you started it.