• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Tax return is for 2012 and your current date was January 2013, so technically you did not do anything at all to that effect in 2012.
aos13,
How important is tax papers? We both finished 5 years in US so our school sent us a letter saying we will be resident for tax purposes for 2012. Do i need to take the copy of the email with the tax papers? Do you think copy of W2s from past yrs will do or they want actual tax papers? Also printed copies from Turbo tax will do or we have to have genuine copy sent by IRS?
plz dont mind, too many questions. Thanks.
P.S This year we filled as Married :) and past years we both filled as single.

The information on the link applies to people coming to US on visitor visa, if you look at the top line.
As we are already in US with self provided room and board, I do not think we need to put "I intend". I asked my lawyer and she said to mark "intend" only if the sponsor is willing to provide eg: room and board. I still havent decided though as I do not want to put my sponsor in an uncomfortable situation.
I have noticed our interviews are one day apart, Good Luck to you guys too!!!

varxx,
Your sponsor should check on 'I intend' option. I am also preparing this for my dependents. I noticed that we have interview 1 day before yours. Good Luck!
http://www.path2usa.com/how-to-fill-form-i-134

aos13,
How important is tax papers? We both finished 5 years in US so our school sent us a letter saying we will be resident for tax purposes for 2012. Do i need to take the copy of the email with the tax papers? Do you think copy of W2s from past yrs will do or they want actual tax papers? Also printed copies from Turbo tax will do or we have to have genuine copy sent by IRS?

You should definitely take W-2s with you. IO did not ask to see any tax papers in our case but there is no guarantee they will not ask. I'd take whatever I have, turbo tax printouts are OK I guess. You becoming resident for tax purposes is unrelated but by all means take the e-mail printout with you just in case you are questioned about your taxes. Most importantly, take your pay stubs for the last three months and a current (as in now) letter from your employer showing your employment and salary.

You should definitely take W-2s with you. IO did not ask to see any tax papers in our case but there is no guarantee they will not ask. I'd take whatever I have, turbo tax printouts are OK I guess. You becoming resident for tax purposes is unrelated but by all means take the e-mail printout with you just in case you are questioned about your taxes. Most importantly, take your pay stubs for the last three months and a current (as in now) letter from your employer showing your employment and salary.

I agree with aos13,
in my case too, IO did not ask for the tax or pay stubs during interview, but the interview letter mentions to bring those docs.
For the Tax docs, I brought both W-2 and printout from tax software for the last three years.
(I am resident for tax purpose).

your status for tax purpose (either non-resident or resident for tax purpose) does not really play any role in this petition.
I think if IO asked for those tax/pay stubs, they are more interested in you have enough stable income to support your life.

aos13,

Yes bring your tax returns. you can order them here http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript
it only takes a few days to receive the year you want.
during my interview the io asked for declarations of years 2010 and 2011. She asked me if I already filed 2012, i said no so she asked for 2012 W2. I guess it depends on the officers but you have to be ready.

The information on the link applies to people coming to US on visitor visa, if you look at the top line.
As we are already in US with self provided room and board, I do not think we need to put "I intend". I asked my lawyer and she said to mark "intend" only if the sponsor is willing to provide eg: room and board. I still havent decided though as I do not want to put my sponsor in an uncomfortable situation.
I have noticed our interviews are one day apart, Good Luck to you guys too!!!

Thanks varxx for additional information.

When to file?

Hello everyone,
Firstly, I am very thankful for this forum. The information provided here is so helpful.
I am an F-1 student pursuing my bachelors. My time for filing for I-485 from the April Visa bulletin is estimated to be on May. I will be graduating on first week of May and I have already received my OPT that will start right after graduation. Here are a couple of questions I had.
1.When exactly (date) do I file my AOS? My CN is 2013AF0004XXXX. Through the April Bulleting, in the estimated May bulleting numbers, my Case Number will be current. Can I file right away or wait until the May bulleting is out and file then?
2.Will having an OPT effect my AOS in any way?
3.In my OPT ID, there is an A#. Is this the A# that I fill on the 485?
4.After graduating, some of the information may change for my 485. For example, I will have graduated after the 1st week of May. I am also currently in the process of finding a job therefore, my question is that do I enter all information as of the date I am filing or?
I apologize if something similar has been asked. I went through the thread and couldn’t find anything similar or maybe missed seeing it. Your input is highly appreciated.

See response below:

Hello everyone,
1.When exactly (date) do I file my AOS? My CN is 2013AF0004XXXX. Through the April Bulleting, in the estimated May bulleting numbers, my Case Number will be current. Can I file right away or wait until the May bulleting is out and file then? I suggest you wait till the end of April, you can send in your I-485 package on April 30th for over-night delivery, which means it gets delivered on May 1st. (Some people have suggested it's ok to send in the package once the visa number is estimated to be released, I caution against doing that as there's no guarantee the package will not be returned to you, but then you may give it a try if you wish, the only thing you will loose is the cost of mailing if the package gets returned - and maybe valuable time). Most of us waited until the actual visa current month before applying.

2.Will having an OPT effect my AOS in any way? No it will not

3.In my OPT ID, there is an A#. Is this the A# that I fill on the 485? Yes, use that Alien # for every section where an Alien # is requested.

4.After graduating, some of the information may change for my 485. For example, I will have graduated after the 1st week of May. I am also currently in the process of finding a job therefore, my question is that do I enter all information as of the date I am filing or? Provide the information as at the time of filing

I apologize if something similar has been asked. I went through the thread and couldn’t find anything similar or maybe missed seeing it. Your input is highly appreciated.

Cpo!

had my interview last week and got CPO the same day. 152 days between BIO and interview is a record so far I think?
The online status was always "case not found" until it became CPO. Interview in Boston was fine, IO was nice, short wait time and interview only took 10-15minutes. good luck to everyone still doing aos!

Thank you Sm1smom for such a quick response, much appreciated. I guess I will wait until the May bulletin comes out and File in 1st week of May.

1. It is advisable to send I-485 and supporting documents as soon as you become current. Before you are current you may send 122 and if you would like 230 to KCC informing that you are willing to do AOS in US. Also send a check for DV fee to DOS, if you havent done yet.
2.Having OPT does not complicate your AOS application. Its good that you already received your OPT card.
3. I heard that OPT A# usually starts with "1" and the A# for AOS is usually different. Others members may know this information better.
4. I have an opinion but I am not sure. Apply with your current status or wait until first week of May and give your OPT status information. Again other members with similar experience may be able to chip in here.

1.When exactly (date) do I file my AOS? My CN is 2013AF0004XXXX. Through the April Bulleting, in the estimated May bulleting numbers, my Case Number will be current. Can I file right away or wait until the May bulleting is out and file then?
2.Will having an OPT effect my AOS in any way?
3.In my OPT ID, there is an A#. Is this the A# that I fill on the 485?
4.After graduating, some of the information may change for my 485. For example, I will have graduated after the 1st week of May. I am also currently in the process of finding a job therefore, my question is that do I enter all information as of the date I am filing or?

if I may add to answer from sm1smom and varxx.
As many suggested, while you are in process of AOS, it is REQUIRED for you to maintain the current visa status (in case of you, F-1).
OPT is under F-1 status, and you have to have a job which is related to your major that you are receiving degree.

So, you have to find job after graduation to make sure you can stay in the US while AOS is in process.
If you cannot find a job in the US, going back to your country and do CP is one option, if you want to come back to US after receiving GC.

if I may add to answer from sm1smom and varxx.
As many suggested, while you are in process of AOS, it is REQUIRED for you to maintain the current visa status (in case of you, F-1).
OPT is under F-1 status, and you have to have a job which is related to your major that you are receiving degree.

So, you have to find job after graduation to make sure you can stay in the US while AOS is in process.
If you cannot find a job in the US, going back to your country and do CP is one option, if you want to come back to US after receiving GC.

Thank you for all the great help.

I am planning to look for a job after I graduate.
So once again, I have a question for the A# and i94 number and an Admission number from my Arrival I-94. In the 485, what numbers do I enter for the I-94 and A#? I have an A# from my OPT. Which informations would be put in the 485 form?

had my interview last week and got CPO the same day. 152 days between BIO and interview is a record so far I think?
The online status was always "case not found" until it became CPO. Interview in Boston was fine, IO was nice, short wait time and interview only took 10-15minutes. good luck to everyone still doing aos!

Congratulations, it took more time than most of us but patience pays.