• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Hi...Congrats!!!!!
Quick Question:
When you say I 134, in ur case, do you mean someone else sponsoring for you? Or you filling it out yourself as if you were sponsoring yourself?

It is someone else sponsoring for you. I read somewhere that I-134 sponsor has less responsibility than I-864 sponsor.

Thanks, are you sure about 5 times? because it is about 95K,yes?5*19=95.

I am not sure if it is really true, I've never personally heard such rule.
But it is what the IOs discussed during my interview.
That's precisely why I recommend to prepare I-134, just in case, even if you have a respectable job...

Also I recommend you to bring the bank statements. What I heard from the conversation from these two officers is that either my salary or my bank balance should exceed 5 times of the poverty level.

I cannot recall the specific information written anywhere in DV literature. Maybe each office/officer has a different rule of thumb. That's why I think it is better to bring I-134 just in case for your peace of mind...
If you are single and you earn above 125% of poverty level or your money in the bank is 125% of yearly poverty level, then you don't need sponsorship (I-134) from anyone else. I asked this question a long time ago to people who went through the process, and their answer was that I don't need an I-134. It sounds like the officer was really new at handling DV cases, or just plain new.

You're H-1B right? There is no way your income is less than 125% of poverty level, as H-1B application requires your employer to pay high-skill prevailing wage, which is far above poverty level.

If you are single and you earn above 125% of poverty level or your money in the bank is 125% of yearly poverty level, then you don't need sponsorship (I-134) from anyone else. I asked this question a long time ago to people who went through the process, and their answer was that I don't need an I-134. It sounds like the officer was really new at handling DV cases, or just plain new.

You're H-1B right? There is no way your income is less than 125% of poverty level, as H-1B application requires your employer to pay high-skill prevailing wage, which is far above poverty level.

You're correct, that I am on H1B and my income cannot be less than 125% of P-level.

Here USCIS says that the inadmissibility of public charge is determined by the totality of circumstance. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=829b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

I think that "5 times" is the level that they thought enough so that there is no need for them to consider the likelihood of public charge at all (even if I had age issue or skill issue.)

You're correct, that I am on H1B and my income cannot be less than 125% of P-level.

Here USCIS says that the inadmissibility of public charge is determined by the totality of circumstance. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=829b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

I think that "5 times" is the level that they thought enough so that there is no need for them to consider the likelihood of public charge at all (even if I had age issue or skill issue.)
I don't think this new officer knows what she's talking about. Five times poverty level is $57,450 per year for a single person. By this standard a family of 3 would be required to have $19,530 X 5 = $97,650 before they can immigrate to USA. If this is true we would have heard US embassies all over the world rejecting tens of thousands of selectees, as few people can collect that kind of money.

DV invites people with high school diploma or two year of experience in lieu of such education. This is not the kind of people who have that kind of money lying around...

This is the source of my anxiety, as it's not the first time I heard of a CIS officer who has no idea of what he/she is talking about. A CIS receptionist at Chicago FO almost made me pay the $300+ fee to replace an incorrect I-94 even though it was the CBP's fault, if not for my insisting that it's incorrect. Hopefully my interviewer would be an experienced one...

Einav,
My husband never received a bio letter too. But he had his biometrics done last October so he was still under the 15 month rule. Did u give your fingerprints with in last 15 months?

Hexa,
I personally know couple of friends who got H1b approved with income less than 50K. I think one was approved this year only. My brother filed H1b last yr with income in low forties and was approved.

Hexa,
I personally know couple of friends who got H1b approved with income less than 50K. I think one was approved this year only. My brother filed H1b last yr with income in low forties and was approved.
Even $40K a year is far above 125% of poverty. If you make that much money, you don't qualify for TANF (food stamp), so there's no danger of you leeching money from the gov't.

Good day, everyone.

In any case, at 3pm my case status on the website changed from “Acceptance” to “Card Production”. So, after all I didn’t need to wait/worry so much.

God bless America :D

Congrats Kikiinny. Enjoy the new status :)

Interview

Finally done with interview. What a relief. :cool:

Interview was scheduled for this morning. As we reached there little early, we had to wait for like an hour before our named was called. The officer was not that friendly but she was good, always straight to the point. Interview was pretty quick; I think it lasted for about 20 mins or so. She went over our I-485 to make sure that the information we have is correct and up to date. Then she asked all the questions from I485 form and a few general questions. She didn't even look at most of the original documents that I took with me except birth certificates and a few others. In conclusion, she said we are done for today. She may need to do some final verification before she makes a decision on our cases. She was fully aware of the fact that DV cases have some time constraints, so decision will be made within a week or two. And that was it. We headed home with some mixed feeling but we were very optimistic as our I94 were taken from our passports. :confused:

By the time I get back to my office, the status was already changed to CPO. That was really quick.

Hopefully, we will receive our cards soon.

Once again, I would like to thanks all the member of this thread for their valuable information and suggestions. The information we share/get here is really useful and informative and would be helpful for many people to follow.

I would also like to wish all the best for those who are waiting on their process to complete. God bless us!!!

Finally done with interview. What a relief. :cool:

Interview was scheduled for this morning. As we reached there little early, we had to wait for like an hour before our named was called. The officer was not that friendly but she was good, always straight to the point. Interview was pretty quick; I think it lasted for about 20 mins or so. She went over our I-485 to make sure that the information we have is correct and up to date. Then she asked all the questions from I485 form and a few general questions. She didn't even look at most of the original documents that I took with me except birth certificates and a few others. In conclusion, she said we are done for today. She may need to do some final verification before she makes a decision on our cases. She was fully aware of the fact that DV cases have some time constraints, so decision will be made within a week or two. And that was it. We headed home with some mixed feeling but we were very optimistic as our I94 were taken from our passports. :confused:

By the time I get back to my office, the status was already changed to CPO. That was really quick.

Hopefully, we will receive our cards soon.

Once again, I would like to thanks all the member of this thread for their valuable information and suggestions. The information we share/get here is really useful and informative and would be helpful for many people to follow.

I would also like to wish all the best for those who are waiting on their process to complete. God bless us!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! Hidhruba

I went to the interview today (7/17: More on that later), and I asked the same kind of question to my interview officer because I am planning to travel in mid August. She told me that, if I haven't received the card by then, I should enter with my current visa (H1B), and tell the immigration that I have a pending I-485. She also wrote down the same message on my passport, signed her name. So, I guess you should ask your interview officer what to do at your interview.

Good luck!

Congrats!!!........ kikiinny

I485 rejected sos!!!

My case is current is September, as indicated by the July bulletin.
I mailed my package on July 10th and was in Chicago the next morning.
My package got rejected, because it says I mailed early.I got it today in the mail.
I cannot send it on September 1st because there just won't be enough time to go through the process.
My money order was returned but the date and the amount on the money order was written on it
and USCIS stamped their name where I had printed it after : "pay to the order of".
Do I assume the money order was cleared?
Should I prepare a new I 485 and answer yes in Part 3 where it says " Have you ever applied for permanent resident status?
Is there any other document that I should prepare again or should I just resend everything as is?
Thank you

need information!

hi from greece :)
i sent my forms the first week of july in kcc. i was too late? and when i should expect an email from them?
thank you! and congrats for the site ;)

My package got rejected, because it says I mailed early.I got it today in the mail.
I cannot send it on September 1st because there just won't be enough time to go through the process.
My money order was returned but the date and the amount on the money order was written on it
and USCIS stamped their name where I had printed it after : "pay to the order of".
Should I prepare a new I 485 and answer yes in Part 3 where it says " Have you ever applied for permanent resident status?
Is there any other document that I should prepare again or should I just resend everything as is?
Thank you

Sorry to hear that your application was rejected. As far as I remember I don't think you need to change anything on your I-485 as it wasn't processed.
You should send again our package now, with a cover letter asking to expedite your case as it is explain on previous posts.
Please keep us informed.

My package was just returned(!)

I won the DV, my wife did not, and we were not married at the time. We applied for AOS, paid the fees, and submitted all info.

My rejection has no information, hers has the following info

--------------------
"based on the information provided, your priority date could not be established. please resubmit your application with the proper documentation to the address...

the following documentation may be provided
i-130
i-140
i-360"
--------------------

We didn't file any of these? not sure if required?

On the actual letter it lists the following

"you have filed before the block of cases numbers authorized...you must include a copy of the visa congratulatory letter with your submission"

So she never received this, as she didn't win the DV, I did. All of this is addressed in her name, and they returned the check (i sent 1 check for 2140, rather than 1 each?)

My case number is current as of july 1, they received the packet july 8th. Totally lost what happened at this point? Any ideas welcome :confused::confused::confused:

My number is 2013OC0000140x

Thank you

1. See there is interesting experience posted by James82. He got accepted before his current month.
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?548095-DV-2013-AOS-Only/page103&p=2631750#post2631750

2. If your money order is returned, it means it has not been cleared. (If it is cleared, it will be sent back to the issuing bank.)

3. "Have you ever applied for permanent resident status?" --> Answer "No", unless you applied the greencard before this DV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you wait a couple of days and re-send the package towards the end of July. Be sure to print out the VB and highlight the section indicating when you're current and attach it to your package. There's also a link about 1 or 2 pages back on this thread which encourages USCIS to accept early filing. Be sure to include that also.

Good luck!

Thank you