• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Hi guys,

So today I got the NOA for me, my husband and my kids, and we also got BIO letters but to everyone except me.. Isn't it weird?
What can be the reason for that? who can I call and ask about it?

Thank!

Hi guys,

So today I got the NOA for me, my husband and my kids, and we also got BIO letters but to everyone except me.. Isn't it weird?

Thank!

Wait couple of day maybe it is on the way, is your mailbox secured, you sure no letters are misplaced?
You can call uscis using the phone number in the i797 notice.

Friends,
I need your advice regarding our case.
We have received the I-131 document and also an invitation letter to appear at Detroit office on July 29 and bring basically the same documents we submitted with the i-485. we are planning a trip to overseas home country and the time is really tight. The trip starts on August 3rd (leaving USA.). I am a little afraid abt the process, I saw many people in this thread getting CPO the same day as their interview, which means we can request a stamp on our passports the same day or the next day thru infopass if it applies to us. However, I saw that Detroit office similar to many other offices is likely to issue a CPO after 1 week of interview which may not work for us. If this is the case for us, will we be able to leave without a stamp and use the travel document for return ? or is there something else we need to do ?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hi James,

I went to the interview today (7/17: More on that later), and I asked the same kind of question to my interview officer because I am planning to travel in mid August. She told me that, if I haven't received the card by then, I should enter with my current visa (H1B), and tell the immigration that I have a pending I-485. She also wrote down the same message on my passport, signed her name. So, I guess you should ask your interview officer what to do at your interview.

Good luck!

Hi James,

I went to the interview today (7/17: More on that later), and I asked the same kind of question to my interview officer because I am planning to travel in mid August. She told me that, if I haven't received the card by then, I should enter with my current visa (H1B), and tell the immigration that I have a pending I-485. She also wrote down the same message on my passport, signed her name. So, I guess you should ask your interview officer what to do at your interview.

Good luck!

Congrats for completing your interview. Hope it was smooth !
I will request instructions from the interviewer too. Unfortunately we don't have the visa stamps on our passports. I am wondering if the travel document will still be valid after the interview though. We will find out..
Thanks.

Hey James,

where is your FO? cause mine is in San Bernardino CA and I was current in June and still have not received my interview letter
Thank you!

Congrats for completing your interview. Hope it was smooth !
I will request instructions from the interviewer too. Unfortunately we don't have the visa stamps on our passports. I am wondering if the travel document will still be valid after the interview though. We will find out..
Thanks.

Still waiting

Hey James,

where is your FO? cause mine is in San Bernardino CA and I was current in June and still have not received my interview letter
Thank you!

My FO is San Bernadino as well and I was current in May and still wait for my interview letter.

Hi guys,

Thank!
That is weird, they usually come together. It's probably worth asking the post office.

My interview experience

Good day, everyone.

So, I went to my interview today. My appointment time was 8am, and arrived at the building 10min before, went through security line, etc. My interview itself has started around 8:20am. My interview officer was a nice lady, very professional. The interview was conducted at her office. She told me to raise my right hand and to swear that I will tell the truth.

Then, she asked me to produce all of the original documents of what I have submitted. I want to note specifically that she asked to show her the original birth certificate (I had my consulate issue an English version, but my IO requested to show the native language original—fortunately, I had it with me), and DV fee ($330) payment receipt original. She had all of the photocopies of my documents, but checked whether I brought the originals of all of these, and signed her initial on each photocopy when I showed each original. (Lesson 1: Bring all of the originals, even if your interview letter doesn't say so.)

My interview letter says to bring a financial support evidence, which is ONE of: 1) I-134, 2) Bank statements, 3) Employment Verification Letter, or 4) Other evidences. So, I didn’t bring I-134, because I have a job (with above-poverty level salary) . Instead, I brought 2), 3), and my recent tax return, and my recent payment stub. However, during the interview, she went to check with her colleague whether I really don’t need to produce I-134. The colleague mentioned to her that I don’t need I-134 if I earn more than 5 times of the poverty level or my bank balance is more than 5 times of the poverty level. I didn’t know that I should make 5 times more than the poverty level. (I thought the same amount is enough!) Fortunately, I earn more than that, so she concluded that I don’t need I-134. (Lesson 2: Prepare and bring I-134 if you can, even if you earn more than the poverty level. (Believe me, I got very nervous and start sweating because I don’t have I-134!)

Then, she went over all of the questions on I-485 with me, and double checked whether my oral answers and I-485 answers match.

In the end, she told me that this is her first time to handle DV case, so she needs to speak with someone in her office to check something before she can make a final decision. Then, she handed me a letter saying that 1) my case will go to final review 2) they don’t need any further dox/evidence from me at this point, 3) they will communicate with me within 60 days again. However, she mentioned to me that she is aware that my case is time sensitive, so probably she will make decision by the end of the day.

As she asked me if I have any question, I told her that I have a travel plan in August. She told me to enter with my current H1B visa if I haven’t received the card by then, wrote down the same message on my passport, and told me to show the message to the immigration officer if he/she gives me a problem.

In any case, at 3pm my case status on the website changed from “Acceptance” to “Card Production”. So, after all I didn’t need to wait/worry so much.

God bless America :D

thanks for sharing your experience, how much is the poverty level? that is too bad that most of officers do not know much about DV cases. in Miami FO they did not know about time- sensitivity of DV cases and I tired a lot to tell them but they just said that you need to file before Sep 30th!

Hey James,

Thank you!

We are from Detroit.
Sorry to hear about your long wait. Try to give them a call and request an expedite process. The diversity visa is one of the categories that allow you to request the service expedite process. Also, if you can, make an infopass appointment at your local office and inquire about the status of your application.
Good luck buddy !

Good day, everyone.

So, I went to my interview today. My appointment time was 8am, and arrived at the building 10min before, went through security line, etc. My interview itself has started around 8:20am. My interview officer was a nice lady, very professional. The interview was conducted at her office. She told me to raise my right hand and to swear that I will tell the truth.

Then, she asked me to produce all of the original documents of what I have submitted. I want to note specifically that she asked to show her the original birth certificate (I had my consulate issue an English version, but my IO requested to show the native language original—fortunately, I had it with me), and DV fee ($330) payment receipt original. She had all of the photocopies of my documents, but checked whether I brought the originals of all of these, and signed her initial on each photocopy when I showed each original. (Lesson 1: Bring all of the originals, even if your interview letter doesn't say so.)

My interview letter says to bring a financial support evidence, which is ONE of: 1) I-134, 2) Bank statements, 3) Employment Verification Letter, or 4) Other evidences. So, I didn’t bring I-134, because I have a job (with above-poverty level salary) . Instead, I brought 2), 3), and my recent tax return, and my recent payment stub. However, during the interview, she went to check with her colleague whether I really don’t need to produce I-134. The colleague mentioned to her that I don’t need I-134 if I earn more than 5 times of the poverty level or my bank balance is more than 5 times of the poverty level. I didn’t know that I should make 5 times more than the poverty level. (I thought the same amount is enough!) Fortunately, I earn more than that, so she concluded that I don’t need I-134. (Lesson 2: Prepare and bring I-134 if you can, even if you earn more than the poverty level. (Believe me, I got very nervous and start sweating because I don’t have I-134!)

Then, she went over all of the questions on I-485 with me, and double checked whether my oral answers and I-485 answers match.

In the end, she told me that this is her first time to handle DV case, so she needs to speak with someone in her office to check something before she can make a final decision. Then, she handed me a letter saying that 1) my case will go to final review 2) they don’t need any further dox/evidence from me at this point, 3) they will communicate with me within 60 days again. However, she mentioned to me that she is aware that my case is time sensitive, so probably she will make decision by the end of the day.

As she asked me if I have any question, I told her that I have a travel plan in August. She told me to enter with my current H1B visa if I haven’t received the card by then, wrote down the same message on my passport, and told me to show the message to the immigration officer if he/she gives me a problem.

In any case, at 3pm my case status on the website changed from “Acceptance” to “Card Production”. So, after all I didn’t need to wait/worry so much.

Congrats, you made it finally !
Since the decision was made already, I think it s possible for you to request a stamp on your passport to enter with the new status when you come back to the states, this is in case you don't receive the card before you leave.

I was advised by an immigration lawyer to type an expedite request on a bright colored paper and include it in my application, and I did just that using a neon yellow piece of paper. On that yellow paper I formally requested an expedite of my application due to the fact that a DV case has to be adjudicated on or before September 30th.

USCIS has a specific set of criteria in granting expedite requests:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=16a6b1be1ce85210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

On the letter I mentioned that my case meets the criterion of "extreme emergent situation" due to the coming deadline.

So far things seem to be moving reasonably fast. The acceptance came (through text & email) about a week after I mailed the AOS, and the bio letters were mailed about a week after that.

If you did not ask for an expedite from the beginning, it is a very good idea to submit one as soon as possible by calling the NCSC.

Good day, everyone.

Congrats!

Thanks for the pointers. I will make sure to bring my paystubs and employment verification!

Congrats!

Thanks for the pointers. I will make sure to bring my paystubs and employment verification!

Also I recommend you to bring the bank statements. What I heard from the conversation from these two officers is that either my salary or my bank balance should exceed 5 times of the poverty level.

I cannot recall the specific information written anywhere in DV literature. Maybe each office/officer has a different rule of thumb. That's why I think it is better to bring I-134 just in case for your peace of mind...

Also I recommend you to bring the bank statements. What I heard from the conversation from these two officers is that either my salary or my bank balance should exceed 5 times of the poverty level.

I cannot recall the specific information written anywhere in DV literature. Maybe each office/officer has a different rule of thumb. That's why I think it is better to bring I-134 just in case for your peace of mind...

Hi...Congrats!!!!!
Quick Question:
When you say I 134, in ur case, do you mean someone else sponsoring for you? Or you filling it out yourself as if you were sponsoring yourself?

Last edited by a moderator: