• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

I-485 decision not made during interview due to pending I-131:

I guess now all I can do is wait for I-131 approval. Called USCIS and we are told it takes 90 days. Anyone in similar situation?
Sorry to hear that AOS2013. Now i feel worried for ourselves. Why did I apply for I-131. My husband told me we dont need that but i said we should apply jus for sake if application get delayed or something..:(:(:(

AOS,
I remember reading couple of posts where people got their GCs before their Eads and AP. But i think every VO acts in a different way. I am sure things will work out fine for u. All d best!!

My wife and I appeared for I-485 interview today at the field office. Officer made us take Oath, asked for ID, asked for some documents that shows joint account or some document that shows we are living together. We showed all of these. Then Officer asked YES/NO question from I-485 application. We thought everything went well. HERE CAME A BIG SURPRISE.... Then Officer told us that decision cannot be made because our I-131 (Travel document) is still pending and National Benefit Center has not transferred original file. I felt 440V shock that time. Thought interviews are scheduled after everything is complete. We returned empty handed today after driving 12 hrs (two way).....

I guess now all I can do is wait for I-131 approval. Called USCIS and we are told it takes 90 days. Anyone in similar situation?

That is bad news, however don't worry too much. I'm sure you will get it!!

first of all..man :\ *pats on back* that sucks.. But you've gone so far and nothing was wrong on your behalf :) This is just a time detour, but shouldn't lower your chances for anything :)
Not every case will go smooth, some people has it better, some people has it worse. Just keep hoping, we'll all be cheering for you! :D

Second of all...
"My wife and I" you said..meaning..
YOU'RE A GUYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excuse my insensitivity for this moment but the great mystery is finally solved ;) you played well muahahahha!

But yeah...you'll be fine :) Keep up a positive attitude!

I think you are mistaking aos13 with AOS2013

My biometrics are scheduled on the 31st of this month..
Can I just do a walk-in? :3

If I do..would it speed up processes?
Or would they be "Hey you! It's not even your appointment date yet, you impatient creature, leaaaveee" D':

Yes, you can attempt a walk in. You don't necessarily need to have any compelling reason to in order to succeed with a walk-in, it really depends on how busy your ASC is. If the office is not busy at the time you try the walk-in, they probably wouldn't even look at the date. I did a walk in around 2:30 pm, my ASC only had 2 people when I walked in with my family, they never asked us why we decided to come in early. But about, 20 minutes after I got there, more people suddenly started to show up, then I heard the guard asking each person if they were scheduled for that particular day before he even collected their Bio letters and verified the date.

My biometrics are scheduled on the 31st of this month..
Can I just do a walk-in? :3

If I do..would it speed up processes?
Or would they be "Hey you! It's not even your appointment date yet, you impatient creature, leaaaveee" D':

You should start paying more attention. ;) You just answered to a post who said he had to wait more after his and his wife's interview for the background check to be completed. I don't know for sure but I do not think that the IO wanted to wait on travel permit, I bet the IO wanted to (had to) wait for the background check to be completed.

SO, it is important to get the bio done as early as possible before the interview. I suggest everybody to do walk-ins; there is nothing you lose if they simply reject you to do a walk-in which should be rare. I'd suggest to go as early as you can in the morning and chances are they won't even ask you why you showed up before your actual bio date.

PS: you still don't know what I am.

I have a questions, there is a part in G325A asking "This form is submitted in connection with" and there are three options Naturalization, Status as Permanent Residence and Other(specify).. which one should I choose?
I think.
There is a box in I-485 asking for I-94#. Is it different from the Admission Number printed on I-94? I'm on OPT now and my A number is now my USCIS# printed on my OPT card. I'm kinda confused where I should locate the number. I appreciate if you help me find it. Thank you so much.
I-94# is the admission number on the I-94. A number is the alien registration number which is also known as USCIS #.
For the address, check the I-485 instructions sheet.

blue:
Thanks for such a great forum ! I am currently on f2 and I am assuming my number will become current in August 2013. My number is 72,*** and here are my questions.
1. Do u think 2 months is enough to do adjustment of status ? ( really don't want to do CP because of huge traveling expenses)
I really can't say. But if CP is not option for you, then I guess you just have to take your chances. By the way, if you have already sent the DSP122 and chose AOS, I'd say go with it instead of trying to change it to CP at this point. I do not know how fast they can do that change; you might want to call KCC and ask how much time it would take for them to do that and then decide quickly for CP or AOS.
2. How early can I do the medicals ? I see some people doing them before there numbers became current
If you decide to do AOS, do the medicals right away, you don't need to wait until August, actually you shouldn't. Make sure you have everything ready so that you can send them by August 1st.
3. Any thing else I can do before hand ? My forms are all filled out just waiting to mail them. Any other advise ?
Which forms? Did you fill I-485 and related forms? Did you already send the $330 fee and got your receipt back? Did you collect all necessary documents? Double check everything, make sure you have all the necessary documents. There are lists posted in this thread about what people send.
Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I am the winner of DV lottery 2014, I am asking this question here, because I assume that somebody was in my situation last year (DV lottery 2013).
I have a question regarding the conflict between EB-2 category application and DV lottery winning.
My husband (h1b) perm is pending and if everything goes OK it will be certified by the end of July. Then I-140 and I-485 will be filled concurrently for us. I will be derivative (H-4). Yesterday, I noticed I won DV Lottery 2014 with case number that probably will be current in January 2014. At that time I will be able to file AOS for me (as primary) and for my spouse (as derivative).
I have some questions assuming the PERM gets certified on time:
1. Will I be able to file I-485 for me (as primary) and for my husband (as derivative) if we have pending EB-2 I-485s with my spouse being primary and me being derivative?
2. What will happen if we file both ?

thank you for your time.

In general, there is nothing wrong with two pending green card applications in different categories. The timing is what matters though. If you are quite confident that you are getting your green card in EB-2 in short time, then you don't need to worry. But if you are not sure of the outcome of that application, or it will take months or years to get a green card in an employment based category, then you should do everything in your power not to jeopardize the DV. If you think you'll be current in January 2014 or earlier, then I'd say don't file the employment based application yet. The reason is that if you have two pending cases, it can take USCIS a lot of time to consolidate your files. So you may have to wait for a long time before getting a DV interview. And in case you become current much later than January, like in summer months, that could risk your DV. Please consult with a good immigration lawyer to understand if it is in your favor to have both AOS cases pending at the same time given the timing constraints of DV and the estimated approval time of your EB-2 application.

HERE CAME A BIG SURPRISE.... Then Officer told us that decision cannot be made because our I-131 (Travel document) is still pending and National Benefit Center has not transferred original file. I felt 440V shock that time. Thought interviews are scheduled after everything is complete.
Tough. :( I think somebody messed up. Because I don't understand how your FO can even give you an interview date if they didn't get your file from NBC in the first place. I am thinking that they are waiting on your background check, maybe? At any rate, call USCIS and talk to a level 2 officer and tell them that you really need your case going. What did IO tell you regarding what happens next after they received your file? Will they simply approve it because the interview is over? Calling USCIS a few times in a row may help to move your case hopefully.

You should start paying more attention. ;) You just answered to a post who said he had to wait more after his and his wife's interview for the background check to be completed. I don't know for sure but I do not think that the IO wanted to wait on travel permit, I bet the IO wanted to (had to) wait for the background check to be completed.

SO, it is important to get the bio done as early as possible before the interview. I suggest everybody to do walk-ins; there is nothing you lose if they simply reject you to do a walk-in which should be rare. I'd suggest to go as early as you can in the morning and chances are they won't even ask you why you showed up before your actual bio date.

PS: you still don't know what I am.

You are a whale in a suite, as I mentioned before..and yes you are a guy!! Unless you're from the same gender as your wife and assume you're the guy in the girly relationship but I dont assume so - _ -
man man man boy boy maleeee!!!

Early in the morning as in...11-12? :p or 9-10? Would it make a difference?

You are a whale in a suite, as I mentioned before..and yes you are a guy!! Unless you're from the same gender as your wife and assume you're the guy in the girly relationship but I dont assume so - _ -
man man man boy boy maleeee!!!

Early in the morning as in...11-12? :p or 9-10? Would it make a difference?

I am not AOS2013 and I never mentioned a wife. :) :) If you think 9 is early morning, you have ways to go in life :)

Tough. :( I think somebody messed up. Because I don't understand how your FO can even give you an interview date if they didn't get your file from NBC in the first place. I am thinking that they are waiting on your background check, maybe? At any rate, call USCIS and talk to a level 2 officer and tell them that you really need your case going. What did IO tell you regarding what happens next after they received your file? Will they simply approve it because the interview is over? Calling USCIS a few times in a row may help to move your case hopefully.

Definitely could be background check. My interview letter was received on the day I completed my fingerprinting. So Field Office might have scheduled interview in anticipation that they will receive the file. Time interval between fingerprinting and interview was 23 days. Normally I have seen 4-6 weeks in most cases. So I am being hopeful.
FO said that my interview is complete. I took oath, copies of ID taken, and answered YES/No question from I-485. I contacted USCIS for I-131 expedited approval but they told me because if high volume they cannot and will take 90 days for approval process. Mine is 53 days so far.
Is withdrawal an option for I-131?

You don't want to mess anything up right...? Just be patient!

Pryanik :)

Definitely could be background check. My interview letter was received on the day I completed my fingerprinting. So Field Office might have scheduled interview in anticipation that they will receive the file. Time interval between fingerprinting and interview was 23 days. Normally I have seen 4-6 weeks in most cases. So I am being hopeful.
FO said that my interview is complete. I took oath, copies of ID taken, and answered YES/No question from I-485. I contacted USCIS for I-131 expedited approval but they told me because if high volume they cannot and will take 90 days for approval process. Mine is 53 days so far.
Is withdrawal an option for I-131?

Was this response from a level 2 officer or from the first person that you spoke with? If you didn't speak with a level 2 officer, I suggest you call again and request to be connected with a level 2 personnel. You may have to wait on hold for a while before you're connected, but level 2 personnel usually have more access to additional information on the files than the front line people who take the general calls.
Good luck!
Sm1smom,
We have been trying for three days, but they are not ready to transfer to a level 2 personnel. The only thing they say is nothing can be done until 30 days period is over. So I guess, we will just wait and watch. ##Fingerscrossed

I am not AOS2013 and I never mentioned a wife. :) :) If you think 9 is early morning, you have ways to go in life :)

.... argh MAN!!!!!!!!!
- _ -
Fine!!!... the case goes back on again..geez
those confusing names! - _ -

Well, during school days I would wake up at 6-8 which to me is early.. But the friends who would drive me there aren't really morning people so I rather not bother them with such early times.
I was wondering if there was a difference in me coming at 8am, or 2pm? (my scheduled one is for 2pm)

I find it strange that they wouldn't connect you to a level 2 person. Usually, when people call and request to be connected to a level 2 personnel who might have more information regarding their case, they usually oblige, though they may warn about a long delay before the call is answered. I've never heard of them refusing to make the transfer.

Sm1smom,
We have been trying for three days, but they are not ready to transfer to a level 2 personnel. The only thing they say is nothing can be done until 30 days period is over. So I guess, we will just wait and watch. ##Fingerscrossed

I find it strange that they wouldn't connect you to a level 2 person. Usually, when people call and request to be connected to a level 2 personnel who might have more information regarding their case, they usually oblige, though they may warn about a long delay before the call is answered. I've never heard of them refusing to make the transfer.
Yea she told me we only get transferred if they decide. Applicant cannot ask for level 2 officer. She asked us to use info pass if we want. And it wasn't like one CS rep said it. Every1 said the same thing whenever we called.

Yea she told me we only get transferred if they decide. Applicant cannot ask for level 2 officer. She asked us to use info pass if we want. And it wasn't like one CS rep said it. Every1 said the same thing whenever we called.

I'm about to say that's some bull-crap response they gave you about applicants not being allowed to request to be passed on to a L2 rep. But maybe the directives for doing so has changed since when last I called. Back then when I called, if I wasn't satisfied with the response I got, I always requested for a L2 personnel and they of course put me through!

You might what to consider doing an Infopass like they suggested though. Time is of essence, and if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't be sitting back and waiting for another month to pass without doing something. But ehy, that's just me though! :D