• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

But don't you have to wait for month your number is current to submit your package? What if she get's an interview and her visa number is not available?

I guess I'm confused with whole applying process. Does your interview need to be in the month your number is current? Everyone is saying that you MUST wait for your number to be current in order to apply for AOS.

Any insight is more than welcome.

Thanks

She applied when she saw her case number on the advanced notification part of the visa bulletin, which was in April.

@feel:

oh btw...i just opened April 2011 bulletin...and the only cutoff number for Europe (for May) is 27,800.... and she is in 29xxx range.... something doesn't add up...

I hate that USCIS is so secretive about whole application process. Why don't they publish clear steps so we don't have to look in crystal ball when to apply LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview experience

Just completed my interview with the New York (Manhattan) field office.

It was a very smooth and by-the-book interview. We (wife and I) arrived about 20m late and had to wait for an hour before we were called in. The officer made us take the oath, and then asked me, the primary applicant, to submit documents.

As an F-1 OPT visa holder, this was what she asked for:

DV award letters
Passport
High school diploma (absolutely necessary, even if you have a master's degree)
Pay stubs for current job, for last 2 months
Employment letter for current job
EAD card
Tax returns
Birth certificate
Marriage certificate
I-134 Affidavit of Support (wife is a student)
Master's degree certificate

We were done in about 20 minutes and she told us we would recommend our case for approval and we would have the cards in 2-3 weeks or so. And that was that!

Thanks to all for your support, being a part of this forum and reading others' experience has definitely made my own a lot easier. Best wishes to those who have interviews coming up!

They really do go by the book in certain FOs when it comes to the High School Diploma.
Especially in the New York area offices.

Congrats!

For those still waiting to be current (in my opinion) the latest you should submit your AOS packet is early to mid June. If you feel you won't become current there is an option to change to CP.

It was a very smooth and by-the-book interview. We (wife and I) arrived about 20m late and had to wait for an hour before we were called in. The officer made us take the oath, and then asked me, the primary applicant, to submit documents.

DV award letters
Passport
EAD card
Tax returns
Birth certificate
Marriage certificate

We were done in about 20 minutes and she told us we would recommend our case for approval and we would have the cards in 2-3 weeks or so. And that was that!

Thanks to all for your support, being a part of this forum and reading others' experience has definitely made my own a lot easier. Best wishes to those who have interviews coming up!

Hey legolas,

Please spend the time and read the forum from the start. Also read AOS2010 forum.

You can send the AOS package as soon as you see your number in the advanced notification. (Of course you can send earlier too and have high risk of rejection)
On April 9th or so, the VB that was published showed EU at 29450, so I sent my package as my # was below that....

You can also send on the month that you are current to be extra super duper careful. (similar to wearing double or triple protection when having sex...if you know what i mean) but that is "most likely" not necessary.

To substantiate that, even if the USCIS will work extremely efficient, there is no way that you can get your interview in less than 50 days of package submission.
To say that another way, me sending the package on April 9th, my interview will not be before June 1st anyways...Today is already May 12th...and i don't have even the IL...

Please add you signature and info in the spreadsheet. - thanks.

@feel:

oh btw...i just opened April 2001 bulletin...and the only cutoff number for Europe (for May) is 27,800.... and she is in 29xxx range.... something doesn't add up...

I hate that USCIS is so secretive about whole application process. Why don't they publish clear steps so we don't have to look in crystal ball when to apply LOL

Check advanced notification part. In April they will publish numbers for May and also advanced notification for June for DV applicants.

@feel:

oh btw...i just opened April 2001 bulletin...and the only cutoff number for Europe (for May) is 27,800.... and she is in 29xxx range.... something doesn't add up...

Congrats. Btw, can you add missing information about your timeline in the google spreadsheet?

Just updated it. I didn't track some of the fields, so what is up is all I have at this point.

They really do go by the book in certain FOs when it comes to the High School Diploma.
Especially in the New York area offices.

You're right. It was like clockwork, she had everything up on her computer screen and checked everything on her list as I showed the originals to her. Forgot to mention that she asked for a I-134 for my wife who is a student, so that's necessary as well.

VB is out, very nice progression for AS. They actually surpassed EU...
Still no area is yet fully CURRENT, I guess that will happen in August for AF for sure.

AFRICA 57,600
Except: Egypt 35,000
Ethiopia 30,650
Nigeria 18,500

ASIA 33,775

EUROPE 33,000
Except: Uzbekistan 28,200

NORTH AMERICA
(BAHAMAS) 12

OCEANIA 1,400

SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 1,400

Update to my BIO appointment:

Just thought that it might be beneficial to people...

When i showed up, the officer at the entrance saw that i had a small band aid on my finger. He wanted to see it and said if that is large enough or on the portion that is getting scanned, they would not do the Finger printing...
Also the person that took my FP paid attention to this too...but said it is OK.

So, if you have FP appointments...don't cut yourself.

Also it took 20 minutes total from the moment i parked till i left..., at the hall entrance, there were people that were sitting without appointments/walk in for about 1-2 hours.

btw: when do you think i should try and call the DOJ to find out the status of my FP? How long should i wait before I call... I know that they don't have to give me the result, but just out of curiosity.

Thanks Yoni for explanation....

My brother's case is EU23xxx and he just filed AOS package on May 1st.

That's all.
Thanks

edit: and yeah...they received it and cashed the checks...now waiting for FP letter

Call tomorrow. FP results are generally sent back to USCIS the same day.

Update to my BIO appointment:

Just thought that it might be beneficial to people...

When i showed up, the officer at the entrance saw that i had a small band aid on my finger. He wanted to see it and said if that is large enough or on the portion that is getting scanned, they would not do the Finger printing...
Also the person that took my FP paid attention to this too...but said it is OK.

So, if you have FP appointments...don't cut yourself.

Also it took 20 minutes total from the moment i parked till i left..., at the hall entrance, there were people that were sitting without appointments/walk in for about 1-2 hours.

btw: when do you think i should try and call the DOJ to find out the status of my FP? How long should i wait before I call... I know that they don't have to give me the result, but just out of curiosity.

Congrats for having a nice and smooth interview. Hope you will get GC very soon.

I have a question. I can see, your IO asked for I-134. Did you and your wife submit separate I-134(s)? Who sponsored you for I-134? Family? or Friend? Was I-134 mentioned in your interview letter? Thanks in advance.

DV award letters
Passport
EAD card
Tax returns
Birth certificate
Marriage certificate

Finally I am current, and i'm about to send my application. Can someone tell me if I should send the I-131
also, on question 16 of the I 765, should we fill out (C) (9) since it's an adjustement of status ?
please let me know Asap
thanks

Congrats for having a nice and smooth interview. Hope you will get GC very soon.

I have a question. I can see, your IO asked for I-134. Did you and your wife submit separate I-134(s)? Who sponsored you for I-134? Family? or Friend? Was I-134 mentioned in your interview letter? Thanks in advance.

Only my wife submitted the I-134. I (non-resident on an F-1 visa) signed the I-134 on her behalf. I assume that because I had a full-time job, that the officer believed I could support myself and my wife.

There was no mention of the I-134 in the interview letter, though I did read, on this very thread, of it being asked for, so I kept it ready just in case :)

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate.

Only my wife submitted the I-134. I (non-resident on an F-1 visa) signed the I-134 on her behalf. I assume that because I had a full-time job, that the officer believed I could support myself and my wife.

There was no mention of the I-134 in the interview letter, though I did read, on this very thread, of it being asked for, so I kept it ready just in case :)

I-131 is not mandatory. It is required, if you have planning to travel outside of US before receiving GC. I did not submit I-131, as I am not travelling outside of US this year.

Finally I am current, and i'm about to send my application. Can someone tell me if I should send the I-131
also, on question 16 of the I 765, should we fill out (C) (9) since it's an adjustement of status ?
please let me know Asap
thanks

Hi lloyd, congratulation for your interview. Regarding i-134 did you submit any supporting document from your spouse sponsor like tax return or a letter from employer? thanks

DV award letters
Passport
EAD card
Tax returns
Birth certificate
Marriage certificate