• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

In my point of view, CP would have been better choice for you. AOS is going to be very risky for you.

I'm on 37,xxx and Asia is on 23,500 on May and 28,600 on June.. So I'm guessing, i won't be current until July or even August. Does that give me enough time for the entire process to complete? Do i need to consult a lawyer?

Visa Fee

first, i appologize for my unawareness and if this question has already been answered..

im on H1-b and my wife is on H4-b..my visa number became current for July.. and im about to send my form 485, and my questions is, do I have to send a separate form 485 for her and send a nother fee ( $ 1070) or one application would be sufficient with a single fee?

My case number: AS34XXX
Applying for AOS

Question 1: Are Biometric appointment letter and interview letter separate? When will I get each of them? when my number becomes current?
Question 2: If I did not commit in any crimes before, would I still need a police certificate? a court and prison record? If so, should I get it from my home country or just the US or both?
Question 3: since my number is 34XXX, I suspect I might be current in around August or September, should I do the medical examination now? Am how much is the cost? I am living in California
Question 4: so the total amount I need for getting the green card is $440 (After receiving NL 1)+$1070 (with I-485)

Thanks

Oh, and also do I just submitted the package when my number becomes current??
And what is the interview about? Do I need to know anything about the US government?

And do I send the package to chicago PO box during the month that my number becomes current, or once I see the visa bulletin saying it WILL become current during that month? Because if I need the police certificate for interview, I need a letter from USCIS saying that the require it. and it takes time for them to mail it back to me.

reading your posts I see that you really have no idea about the whole AOS process and you are really loosing time that you might not have enough as the end of the fiscal year is coming really fast.
1. Biometrics and Interview letter are separate letters. Usually you get the biometrics around 20-30 days after submiting the AOS package and then interview letter depending on you field office and how busy they are, you just have to wait.
2.when doing AOS you dont need a police cetificate, that's what the biometrics are for as they run them through FBI and check you out.
3.Yes, you need to do medicals ASAP. because you need them when you send your AOS package and sometimes they take time to complete so you might want to start ASAP. regarding the cost it is different from place to place , there is no standard price. If you are current in August or September you might want to send you AOS package begining or mid June to give it some time to process the application.
the total is 440$ for DOS fee and 1070$ for the AOS package.

My case number: AS34XXX
Applying for AOS

Question 1: Are Biometric appointment letter and interview letter separate? When will I get each of them? when my number becomes current?
Question 2: If I did not commit in any crimes before, would I still need a police certificate? a court and prison record? If so, should I get it from my home country or just the US or both?
Question 3: since my number is 34XXX, I suspect I might be current in around August or September, should I do the medical examination now? Am how much is the cost? I am living in California
Question 4: so the total amount I need for getting the green card is $440 (After receiving NL 1)+$1070 (with I-485)

Thanks

You dont wait till August , because the fiscal year ends September 30th and if you dont have an interview till then and get aproved, then forget about the GC. Inform yourself and you DO NOT need a police report, there is biometrics for that.

And do I send the package to chicago PO box during the month that my number becomes current, or once I see the visa bulletin saying it WILL become current during that month? Because if I need the police certificate for interview, I need a letter from USCIS saying that the require it. and it takes time for them to mail it back to me.

Yes this question has been answered in details
you need a separate package for your wife as well, everything that you have in a package she should have as well, including the I-485 form, the 1070$ check , the receipt for 440$ paid to the DOS, the medical report, your letter of winning, the mariage license and so on. inform yourself, because if you do something wrong at this point , there might not be enough time to corect it and send the package back in time for an interview by September 30th. Good luck

P.S. Read and re-read the entire thread and you will find all the answers as we discussed everything in details.

first, i appologize for my unawareness and if this question has already been answered..

im on H1-b and my wife is on H4-b..my visa number became current for July.. and im about to send my form 485, and my questions is, do I have to send a separate form 485 for her and send a nother fee ( $ 1070) or one application would be sufficient with a single fee?

Thanks for answering all my inquiries. However when I check online on travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html#police it says I should bring a police certificate for interview? I am so nervous about that right now. Should I do it then? Thanks

You dont wait till August , because the fiscal year ends September 30th and if you dont have an interview till then and get aproved, then forget about the GC. Inform yourself and you DO NOT need a police report, there is biometrics for that.

police certificate is for CP only, for people that go to the embassy in their home countries and are granted an immigrant visa, you are in US and are doing Adjustment of Status, these are two different processes.
P.S. Go ahead with the police certificate if you dont believe.

Thanks for answering all my inquiries. However when I check online on travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html#police it says I should bring a police certificate for interview? I am so nervous about that right now. Should I do it then? Thanks

Just to pay safe, I saw people saying they sent out the package too early and was denied by USCIS so I thought I should submit the package during the month my number becomes current. SO which month did your number become current?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Natta for the quick reply... i see that from your signature that you've also applied for two.... should I send the packages togeter in one big package or should I send them separately?

Yes this question has been answered in details
you need a separate package for your wife as well, everything that you have in a package she should have as well, including the I-485 form, the 1070$ check , the receipt for 440$ paid to the DOS, the medical report, your letter of winning, the mariage license and so on. inform yourself, because if you do something wrong at this point , there might not be enough time to corect it and send the package back in time for an interview by September 30th. Good luck

P.S. Read and re-read the entire thread and you will find all the answers as we discussed everything in details.

together, but make sure yours is a separate pile and your wife is separate.

thanks Natta for the quick reply... i see that from your signature that you've also applied for two.... should I send the packages togeter in one big package or should I send them separately?

Don't worry about that. Mine took 30 days. They usually wait for 30 days before cashing th checks these days!

Hi guys,

As some of you may remember, I asked about how much time should pass before I would know if my docs (that I mailed to Chicago on April 18) have been accepted. Today is May 13 and there is still no sign that the docs are accepted. The check was not cashed either :(. So, I guess my next question would be - what do I do now? Do I call them on May 19 (a month after I sent my docs), or there is a way to email them? Does anybody know what is their contact information? Any advice will be highly appreciated!

oups I think I checked (A), I just sent my package on Friday. Do you think thats a problem ?
Thanks

Check (h) and write "Diversity Visa Lottery Winner" [see page 2 of I-485 instruction]

You should extend your I-20, because it is not guaranteed that you will get interview by July.

I did not use any folder. I think, it does not matter.

I believe that AS is now at 33,775 for July.

So AS34xxx is almost sure to be current in August. Prepare everything, seal the envelop and go to the post office around June 9th, and mail express over night.

AS37xxx is very likley to be current in August too. (but maybe not), start checking the VB around June 6th every day and twice on Sunday...

Good Luck.

May I ask why is that so? my case number is AS34XXX I am worried