• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

All I-20, I-94 and the passport with F-1 visa page should be enough. Good luck!

It is great to read about all the success stories in this forum. I guess it is now my turn to enter into the "lion's den." I received my interview letter today for an appointment on 4/27/2011. I do have one question. In the section that asks for documents you must bring with you they ask for "a Visa (including extensions)." I have been on an F-1 visa all this time and never left the U.S so Im not sure what is meant by "including extensions" and which document will show this. Since Ive transferred from a Community College to a 4-year college will my I-20s be enough. Wish me luck guys!

My story is exactly like yours, transfered from a community college to a four year college and I submited all the I-20s and the oficial school transcript and my last F1 visa, they never asked for anything at the interview, beside the passport. Good luck and don't worry to much.

It is great to read about all the success stories in this forum. I guess it is now my turn to enter into the "lion's den." I received my interview letter today for an appointment on 4/27/2011. I do have one question. In the section that asks for documents you must bring with you they ask for "a Visa (including extensions)." I have been on an F-1 visa all this time and never left the U.S so Im not sure what is meant by "including extensions" and which document will show this. Since Ive transferred from a Community College to a 4-year college will my I-20s be enough. Wish me luck guys!

Congrets umuteren !!!

Hi everyone, today we got our interview. It was originally at 1400 pm and reached there at 1330 pm.we waited almost 45 minutes and then were called by the officer to his office for interview. Firstly, he asked for passports, I94, original birth certificates, marriage certificate, original DV lottery letter. He also asked my latest degree and told him I have a bachelor degree. Then he asked whether I have it evaluated. I told I didnt do it for university diploma but high school. He said it is also ok and i gave it to him. He was a serious young officer and he even checked my daughter;s birth certificate to make sure that our marriage is not a fake one. I also filled an extra form regarding my visa status(G4). He asked when was the last time I entered the US and if I ve been in US before and when I did that. He asked for the pay stubs, employment letter even though I provided all these things on the previous file.Officer also asked aboout the tax returns but he did not even look at it when he saw the big thing envelope. When we finished the filling the form, he said we are approved and would get the card in 10 business day. Thanks to everyone in this forum and hope you the best guys....

Congrets R2010 !!! Very happy for your safe landing to Green World :)

Interview experience: So we got there 9:30am we were called at 10:15am and left the interview at 10:30am. The officer was very professional and he knew a lot about lottery and also 245i. He said we provided all documents necessary and even more than was necessary which made his job very easy  . He asked for: both original birth certificates, original lottery letter and lottery payment and all financial documents (he said that for lottery they are definitely looking for that!)So we gave employment letter, w2s, paystubs, bank accounts) and recent tax returns. He asked a few things about our marriage and for us to show some pictures (strange because we are married for ten years!) In the mean time he took our i-94 out the passport and said we are approved because there are 1200 visas for SA and our # is 8XX. The GC should be in the mail in 10 business days. All we can say is THANK YOU for all the help and support from this forum and I hope the best for all that are still pending approval!

aos question

I-134 needs to be submitted in original or copy (scanned and printed) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your case number should come up in next visa bulletin. And, you don't need 2nd letter from KCC for adjustment of status. Do your medicals and send your $440 diversity visa fee. Then send your AOS package to Chicago right after the next visa bulletin is published. As you are going to sent your package in the middle of May, you should have sufficient time to process by September.

Hey sharminlee,

Thanks a lot for answering my questions.
I actually received a 2nd letter from the u.s department of state saying:"Thank you for informing us for your intention to adjust your status...." and asking me pay the $440 Dv Fee, So I am assuming that is the 2nd NL. I just payed my DV fee today, Does it matter if I pay it before my case number become current? cause when I called Kcc they told me that it is recommended to wait until my number become current .
Thanks for you help,
Best Wishes.
Reda

They just tell you to wait since they want to prevent people from getting disappointed if case their high numbers do not become current as the fee is not refundable.
In any case, KCC will not release your file to USCIS FO until you pay the fee AND your number is current.
So paying early is just a "risk" you have to take.
Those that paid before July 2010, actually saved money! so they got rewarded...

Hey sharminlee,

Thanks a lot for answering my questions.
I actually received a 2nd letter from the u.s department of state saying:"Thank you for informing us for your intention to adjust your status...." and asking me pay the $440 Dv Fee, So I am assuming that is the 2nd NL. I just payed my DV fee today, Does it matter if I pay it before my case number become current? cause when I called Kcc they told me that it is recommended to wait until my number become current .
Thanks for you help,
Best Wishes.
Reda

hi, how is everything? hoping to hear good news from you.

Thank you, Sharminlee. I WILL bring back very good news tomorrow!

To R2010 and umuteren: Congrats and enjoy. Thanks for sharing your experience.

To enfl: the same thing is going on with my husband's package March 11th. So we'll see tomorrow what will happen. Check has not been cashed yet.

Fingers crossed......

Below statement is in response to an inquiry regarding the advance filing policy(“USCIS National Stakeholder Meeting dated April 3, 2008). Would you please input your understanding of this statement particularly the highlighted part?

The Chicago Lockbox accepts all Diversity Visa filling within te fiscal year for which applicant has been selected. For example , the I-485 for an applicant with an FY 2008 selection letter that filed now( April 2008) would be accepted assuming all filling requirement , including submission of the appropriate fee and a completed signature were included. Discussion is ongoing to ensure that consistent application of USCIS memoranda and policies are followed regarding DV Visa application acceptance. If you believe a specific case has been improperly rejected.

Thanks

Sorry highlighted part was hard to read!
Below statement is in response to an inquiry regarding the advance filing policy(“USCIS National Stakeholder Meeting dated April 3, 2008). Would you please input your understanding of this statement particularly the underlined part?

The Chicago Lockbox accepts all Diversity Visa filling within te fiscal year for which applicant has been selected. For example , the I-485 for an applicant with an FY 2008 selection letter that filed now( April 2008) would be accepted assuming all filling requirement , including submission of the appropriate fee and a completed signature were included. Discussion is ongoing to ensure that consistent application of USCIS memoranda and policies are followed regarding DV Visa application acceptance. If you believe a specific case has been improperly rejected.

Thanks

Folks,

Had a lunch at Chinese place today, and my fortune cookie told me "You'll find today what you've been looking for". My wife didn't know about it, but when I came home she greeted me by saying "We have a game today, called Find Your Greencard". And yes, the Fortune cookie was right, I found it on a bookshelf squeezed between recipe books. So, to give credit to Fortune that's blessing us with sudden favors and teasing us with sudden hints, here's our story.

I was lucky to get to the US for the first time in 1993 as a high school exchange student. Coming from then-USSR i was stunned, more by breadth of opportunities that every kid in my middle-class suburban high school had, than by simply having 20 different brands of shampoos and toothpastes on grocery store shelves. That impression stuck with me forever since, so after returning home and partying for a couple years, I reanimated the thought of coming back, to the US or similar country. I made a career shift to IT knowing that for me the shortest path was to utilize the skilled migration route (Internet and software industries in general were booming).

By 2005 we were in Australia, on my working visa. That country was beautiful, can't take that away from it. We applied for perm in AU in 2007, after gaining sufficient work experience to get advantage based on priorities at the moment. And then the crisis hits, Australia responding by slowing down and revisiting priorities of its immigration policy. At the last step of application, my daughter in Russia had to pass medicals, and due to sheer incompetence of staff at the clinic, her medicals got stuck there for two months. The medicals were one week late arriving in Sydney - Australian government just passed legislation in March 2009 that put our application at the end of the backlog, where it still is at the moment.

We were already in USA though and looked at the nearest neighbor which also had skilled migration program - Canada. We've spent there a few months, while I was working for a client there. Honestly, we hated it. Quebec people and food were great, the weather however, non-existent health care, French language domination and general sense of inferiority vs the US made our stay there downright depressing. Still, we were hoping for a quick citizenship giving a right to live and work in the US. We applied, and right after our application got to the visa office, Canadian government, due to crisis, made the change in priorities, moving our app to the end of the queue again. That was June last year, we never heard from them ever since.

And that's when my wife's lottery win came, when we expected it the least but needed it the most. 10 months later we're already US permanent residents. What brought us here was Fortune, but what led us here all along was hard work and dedication. Don't underestimate these two factors and you'll be all right regardless of where you are.

Now to the people on this forum - I don't know any other community on immigration subject that is as friendly, responsive and supportive as this one. We enjoyed every moment spent here and wouldn't be where we are without your guidance. Keep up the good work and good luck to everyone with your endeavors.

Also, we'll be glad to meet new people who are in the same boat with us. We're Russian-speaking couple with two tots, living in San Jose/Silicon Valley area. If you are nearby and feel like you need some questions answered, or just to hang out - just PM me, we'll be glad to help.

voxx,
Great life story. I'm happy that everything turned out to be good for you.
There are many up and downs in life, and most of the time, the "downs" brings us new "ups". Also negative news and slow backs usually turn out for the better.
So enjoy the new status, and stay on board till the rest of us join you.

Folks,

Had a lunch at Chinese place today, and my fortune cookie told me "You'll find today what you've been looking for". My wife didn't know about it, but when I came home she greeted me by saying "We have a game today, called Find Your Greencard". And yes, the Fortune cookie was right, I found it on a bookshelf squeezed between recipe books. So, to give credit to Fortune that's blessing us with sudden favors and teasing us with sudden hints, here's our story.

I was lucky to get to the US for the first time in 1993 as a high school exchange student. Coming from then-USSR i was stunned, more by breadth of opportunities that every kid in my middle-class suburban high school had, than by simply having 20 different brands of shampoos and toothpastes on grocery store shelves. That impression stuck with me forever since, so after returning home and partying for a couple years, I reanimated the thought of coming back, to the US or similar country. I made a career shift to IT knowing that for me the shortest path was to utilize the skilled migration route (Internet and software industries in general were booming).

By 2005 we were in Australia, on my working visa. That country was beautiful, can't take that away from it. We applied for perm in AU in 2007, after gaining sufficient work experience to get advantage based on priorities at the moment. And then the crisis hits, Australia responding by slowing down and revisiting priorities of its immigration policy. At the last step of application, my daughter in Russia had to pass medicals, and due to sheer incompetence of staff at the clinic, her medicals got stuck there for two months. The medicals were one week late arriving in Sydney - Australian government just passed legislation in March 2009 that put our application at the end of the backlog, where it still is at the moment.

We were already in USA though and looked at the nearest neighbor which also had skilled migration program - Canada. We've spent there a few months, while I was working for a client there. Honestly, we hated it. Quebec people and food were great, the weather however, non-existent health care, French language domination and general sense of inferiority vs the US made our stay there downright depressing. Still, we were hoping for a quick citizenship giving a right to live and work in the US. We applied, and right after our application got to the visa office, Canadian government, due to crisis, made the change in priorities, moving our app to the end of the queue again. That was June last year, we never heard from them ever since.

And that's when my wife's lottery win came, when we expected it the least but needed it the most. 10 months later we're already US permanent residents. What brought us here was Fortune, but what led us here all along was hard work and dedication. Don't underestimate these two factors and you'll be all right regardless of where you are.

Now to the people on this forum - I don't know any other community on immigration subject that is as friendly, responsive and supportive as this one. We enjoyed every moment spent here and wouldn't be where we are without your guidance. Keep up the good work and good luck to everyone with your endeavors.

Also, we'll be glad to meet new people who are in the same boat with us. We're Russian-speaking couple with two tots, living in San Jose/Silicon Valley area. If you are nearby and feel like you need some questions answered, or just to hang out - just PM me, we'll be glad to help.

voxx,
Well said. Thank you for sharing your story/experience and wish you and your family the best in your life.
Folks,

Interview

Hi sharminlee and thank you for caring!

My son was not feeling well and I had to take him to the interview as well as my husband just in case, my husband's package status said acceptance. I didn't look at the internet and the weather was nasty.

So I'll share a few things.

We got there at around 12:15pm, parking etc... in the building at 12:40pm. Our lawyer greeted us and we sat down. He gave the letter to the officer after waiting for a few minutes because no one was at the window. They called us at 1:05pm I think. But it only took 15-20mns.

The officer said his name and that he didn't get my file from KCC so he won't be able to approve my case the same day. I swore to tell the truth , then sat down.
He asked for my passport and driver's license. I gave him the most recent one but then gave him the expired ones since that is where my visas were. He verified my address, and said that he really didn't understand why my file wasn't received. He told my lawyer that he should have responded to the inquiry about one missing Diversity fee payment. My lawyer told him that he had sent via FEDEX a letter sating that only my husband and I, were adjusting, that my stepdaughter was back home, thus will be doing Consular Processing, and that my 10-month old was a US citizen.
The officer said I think it's just a misunderstanding and that he will call them today to tell them what we just told him.

Then he said, "let's start the interview"
What is your full name?
What is your date of birth?
You were born in.....? Yes
What is your mother's name? your father's?

How many times have you been married? I chuckled because he said it in a weird way (the guy joked a lot so I was very comfortable and he really wanted us to know he was a very helpful and nice person). I said never beside this time. He laughed and said well "never" I was going to say uhh we have a problem here but you finished your sentence..lol

What is your husband's name?
His birth date? where was he born?

Do you have children? how many? Is that child both yours? and I'm looking at him like what?? uhh yes he laughed and said it's because he has a daughter that's not yours...

what is your child's name? date of birth? where? do you have the birth certificate? Yes and I gave it to him.

what is your step-daughter date of birth? where is she now? ok.

Then he started the Yes/no questions.
He looked at the file and said ohh you went to this university/ yes. Good

well we're done. But I need the file to be able to approve you.
He even went on to look if my husband's file was already in the system. But no luck for him. So he verified the package that we sent and said it should have been processed as a priority case since my DV letter was attached, etc,... He said to call etc.., and also to reiterate to the KCC that my stepdaughter is not in the US and that way he can get the file ASAP. He also said that when I get approved to file quickly for my stepdaughter to apply abroad for an immigrant visa. (he doesn't want the visas numbers to run out on us as it happened last year.

He walked us out and said to wait. Photocopied my passports etc and then came back to say I'll approve your case as soon as I get your file. Take care!

He asked me several times which status my Hubby was under and if he came to the US as a visitor first? I said No he came as H4.
Were you married when you filled out the dv lottery application online. Yes. I gave him marriage certificate and translation, etc. but he never asked me for my High school diploma, bachelor or master's degree. He asked for bills or bank statements showing both our names. But that's it.
I will check my case status to see if it changed. But I'll keep you posted as soon as I get any info. In the meantime, I'll be checking in to help out others.

hi, how is everything? hoping to hear good news from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story Voxx and somehow familiar as I come from one of the ex Soviet Union Republics as well- Moldova, so totally know how life is over there. But I am really happy to see that finally your hard work paid off and you can enjoy freedom in this country.

Folks,

Congarts voxx. impressive story..

Folks,