• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hey guys! Do you know what should I do in order to find out whether KCC transfered my case to USCIS or not? Should I contact KCC? How long it usually takes?
Thanks!

It is too early to contact with KCC to know whether your file is transferred to USCIS. After you are done with your biometrics, send an e-mail to KCC asking whether your file is transferred. Your file must be transferred before your interview.

Hey guys! Do you know what should I do in order to find out whether KCC transfered my case to USCIS or not? Should I contact KCC? How long it usually takes?
Thanks!

thanks, i haven't received the biometric letter yet. but i'd like to walk-in for biometrics. do you think it is better to walk-in early in the week or on Fridays? thanks!

It is too early to contact with KCC to know whether your file is transferred to USCIS. After you are done with your biometrics, send an e-mail to KCC asking whether your file is transferred. Your file must be transferred before your interview.

You can not do walk-in biometrics without an actual biometrics letter. You can only do walk-in if you have the letter for a later date and decide for some reason to go early, but without a biometrics letter , no one will take you biometric. Read the forum and inform yourself.

thanks, i haven't received the biometric letter yet. but i'd like to walk-in for biometrics. do you think it is better to walk-in early in the week or on Fridays? thanks!

Hi enfl,
It is not about a particular day I think, except for some ASCs where they do walk-ins in a particular day of a week. It is all about how busy they are and whether or not they accept walk-ins. Where are you located? If you can tell us your city/ASC, probably somebody in this forum might have experience at that ASC for walk-in in the past. It is up to you however.

-- Like natta said you can do nothing until you get the ASC appointment notice, which I think you will by the end of next week or so.
-- Like Sharminlee said, it is too early to call KCC about file transfer yet. Your AOS file is still at NBC and it got to be in the FO for them to request KCC DV file. Wait until you complete your biometrics. Give them couple of days after that and call them rather than sending an email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got our letter. We're in Boston, anyone have any suggestions in terms of walk-in biometrics?

Also what's the wait time like for Boston in terms of interviews? Our AOS package was accepted end of March, and our number have been current for quite a while.

Thanks

Hi enfl,
It is not about a particular day I think, except for some ASCs where they do walk-ins in a particular day of a week. It is all about how busy they are and whether or not they accept walk-ins. Where are you located? If you can tell us your city/ASC, probably somebody in this forum might have experience at that ASC for walk-in in the past. It is up to you however.

Hi chichenballz,

I live in Boston and I did walk-in biometrics because I knew that I would've been out of town that day. However, the officer there told me to bring something prove it, and I brougnt a copy of itinerary (my flight schedule). If you have a reason and something to prove that you cannot do it on the scheduled day, I think they will let you do it. It's less crowded in the early morning.

I don't have the link for spreadsheet with me...(does anyone have it?), but I remember that people in Boston waited quite a while. You can check my signature too. Some people waited longer. I know it is stressful to wait, but I think you still have enough time, so don't worry.

Good luck!

Got our letter. We're in Boston, anyone have any suggestions in terms of walk-in biometrics?

Also what's the wait time like for Boston in terms of interviews? Our AOS package was accepted end of March, and our number have been current for quite a while.

Thanks

Hi docusync, I wonder if you already got your IL or is still waiting for one. Could you update us? Thanks.

Proof of legal status

Hello guys -

After a lot of worry, I finally received my interview letter a few days ago, more than a month after completing my biometrics.

I have a question about proving my legal status in the US. I am on an F1-OPT visa and worked unpaid for about 6 months with a firm. I now have a regular job, but I wanted to know what documents I need to show that I worked for those first 6 months?

Obviously there are no tax returns as it was not a paid job. So is it just the job offer letter? Is a W-2 required?

Thanks!

Job offer letter saying you were offered internship/volunteer for 6 months should be fine. Also since you have a regular job now, take couple of pay stubs and current employment verification letter with start date and salary information. Do not worry about W-2 if you do not have it. It would be a good idea to have Form I-134 though. Congrats for getting the interview letter. I am sure you will come back with great news. Also, are you updating your employment history with the school?

Hello guys -

After a lot of worry, I finally received my interview letter a few days ago, more than a month after completing my biometrics.

I have a question about proving my legal status in the US. I am on an F1-OPT visa and worked unpaid for about 6 months with a firm. I now have a regular job, but I wanted to know what documents I need to show that I worked for those first 6 months?

Obviously there are no tax returns as it was not a paid job. So is it just the job offer letter? Is a W-2 required?

Thanks!

Job offer letter saying you were offered internship/volunteer for 6 months should be fine. Also since you have a regular job now, take couple of pay stubs and current employment verification letter with start date and salary information. Do not worry about W-2 if you do not have it. It would be a good idea to have Form I-134 though. Congrats for getting the interview letter. I am sure you will come back with great news. Also, are you updating your employment history with the school?

Thanks for the prompt response! I actually didn't update school with my employment details until January '11. I know this is important because those details go into the SEVIS database. it is all updated now, hopefully the lack of updates for most of 2010 wont be an issue.

I-134 - is that applicable to me? The purpose of that form is, to quote, "To show that visa applicants have sponsorship and will not become public charges while in the United States." No one is sponsoring my visa (like an H-1B etc.), this is the OPT under my F-1 visa. Or am I mistaken?

Yes, Form I-134 is asked for many people although they had a good job/income. It really depends on the IO. Just to be on the safe side and not loose time, if you like you can take I-134 with you on the interview. Only if IO asks for it specifically, you can turn it in. Again, it is up to you and if you can get it, why not take it?
Why did not you update your school about your unpaid job during 2010? Discuss about this with the school DSO and be prepared for your interview. But this is not a big issue I think if you got a letter from the employer and your SEVIS was active at the time you filed the AOS. I am sure you are aware of 90 days unemployment rule during OPT.
Thanks for the prompt
response! I actually didn't update school with my employment details until January '11. I know this is important because those details go into the SEVIS database. it is all updated now, hopefully the lack of updates for most of 2010 wont be an issue.

I-134 - is that applicable to me? The purpose of that form is, to quote, "To show that visa applicants have sponsorship and will not become public charges while in the United States." No one is sponsoring my visa (like an H-1B etc.), this is the OPT under my F-1 visa. Or am I mistaken?

Yes, Form I-134 is asked for many people although they had a good job/income. It really depends on the IO. Just to be on the safe side and not loose time, if you like you can take I-134 with you on the interview. Only if IO asks for it specifically, you can turn it in. Again, it is up to you and if you can get it, why not take it?

Hmm...this could be hard, I don't really have a sponsor here in the US. And my employer does not sponsor H-1B or immigrant visas. Think I'll get bank statements and pay stubs to show self-support.

Why did not you update your school about your unpaid job during 2010? Discuss about this with the school DSO and be prepared for your interview. But this is not a big issue I think if you got a letter from the employer and your SEVIS was active at the time you filed the AOS. I am sure you are aware of 90 days unemployment rule during OPT.

Truth is, I got lazy and postponed it. SEVIS was active at the time of AOS filing, so I hope that takes care of it, though I will have to address it during the interview. Believe I would have gotten an outright rejection notice otherwise, because of the 90 day unemployment rule.

On a separate note, is a W-2 needed for unpaid employment? I know you mentioned it was optional, and I could try and get it, but it would require a lot of work. Just wanted to know if it was even possible to have a W-2 for a job which didn't pay.

Yes, if you cant get I-134, your pay stubs and EVL should do the trick.There is no W-2 ( as there is no taxes involved) for unpaid job. Cheers!

Hmm...this could be hard, I don't really have a sponsor here in the US. And my employer does not sponsor H-1B or immigrant visas. Think I'll get bank statements and pay stubs to show self-support.

Truth is, I got lazy and postponed it. SEVIS was active at the time of AOS filing, so I hope that takes care of it, though I will have to address it during the interview. Believe I would have gotten an outright rejection notice otherwise, because of the 90 day unemployment rule.

On a separate note, is a W-2 needed for unpaid employment? I know you mentioned it was optional, and I could try and get it, but it would require a lot of work. Just wanted to know if it was even possible to have a W-2 for a job which didn't pay.

Hi All,

I had a couple of questions about the form I-485. I am on a student visa and will be sending my application on May 1st. On the form - I485 where it says "Current Status" and "Expiry date" what should I fill out. Can I just write "Student" and "D/S" which means duration of study. Also I graduate this May and have applied for OPT so should I instead write the expiration date of my OPT as the expiry date. Also on Part 2, according to the instructions it says if you are filing based on DV lottery, choose h, and write "DV Visa Lottery Winner. Copy of lottery letter attached". Just want to confirm it is the right procedure.

Also how does the receipt look like for once you have submitted your $440 to the Department of State. I simply received the form I submitted with the stamp paid and a number written on it with a red ink. It does not look like an official receipt. Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Congratulations to all the ones who have received their green card and good luck to everyone who are all in the process.

Yes, if you cant get I-134, your pay stubs and EVL should do the trick.There is no W-2 ( as there is no taxes involved) for unpaid job. Cheers!

Helpful. Thanks!

Also on Part 2, according to the instructions it says if you are filing based on DV lottery, choose h, and write "DV Visa Lottery Winner. Copy of lottery letter attached". Just want to confirm it is the right procedure.

Yes it is.

Also how does the receipt look like for once you have submitted your $440 to the Department of State. I simply received the form I submitted with the stamp paid and a number written on it with a red ink. It does not look like an official receipt. Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

That's what I got as well, and I've made it to the "Interview Letter" stage, so you're fine.

I wrote D/S. If you like you can write the expiration date of the card itself. Lucky2011 did the later and his application did not have any issues with that.

Hi All,

I had a couple of questions about the form I-485. I am on a student visa and will be sending my application on May 1st. On the form - I485 where it says "Current Status" and "Expiry date" what should I fill out. Can I just write "Student" and "D/S" which means duration of study. Also I graduate this May and have applied for OPT so should I instead write the expiration date of my OPT as the expiry date. Also on Part 2, according to the instructions it says if you are filing based on DV lottery, choose h, and write "DV Visa Lottery Winner. Copy of lottery letter attached". Just want to confirm it is the right procedure.

Thanks in advance. Congratulations to all the ones who have received their green card and good luck to everyone who are all in the process.