• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hi all,

We are thinking about taking cruise from California to to Mexico on a 5 day cruise, I am F1-OPT status right now and sent out AOS last week. I am wondering if I will get new I-94 cards with new dates when I come back or will they give us back the old cards? or Will the customs give me new stamp on my passport? If both are not, does it means that I will be fine to go on the cruise?did any of u have any experience with this or suggestions? Please share with me. thanks.

from what i know, you can not leave the US while your AOS is pending unless you have an AP (advance parole), overwise your application is considered abandoned, especially on F1-OPT. Search for more information, if I was you I would not risk loosing the GC for a Cruise to MExico.

QUOTE=karen127;2287879]Hi all,

We are thinking about taking cruise from California to to Mexico on a 5 day cruise, I am F1-OPT status right now and sent out AOS last week. I am wondering if I will get new I-94 cards with new dates when I come back or will they give us back the old cards? or Will the customs give me new stamp on my passport? If both are not, does it means that I will be fine to go on the cruise?did any of u have any experience with this or suggestions? Please share with me. thanks.[/QUOTE]

I agree with natta.

from what i know, you can not leave the US while your AOS is pending unless you have an AP (advance parole), overwise your application is considered abandoned, especially on F1-OPT. Search for more information, if I was you I would not risk loosing the GC for a Cruise to MExico.

QUOTE=karen127;2287879]Hi all,

We are thinking about taking cruise from California to to Mexico on a 5 day cruise, I am F1-OPT status right now and sent out AOS last week. I am wondering if I will get new I-94 cards with new dates when I come back or will they give us back the old cards? or Will the customs give me new stamp on my passport? If both are not, does it means that I will be fine to go on the cruise?did any of u have any experience with this or suggestions? Please share with me. thanks.
[/QUOTE]

@Karen127 Do not leave the US! You will loose your AOS and they might not let you back in the country. I think once you file for AOS, you give up your F-1, but double check. Call USCIS or make an appointment and be very careful!
Good luck!

I have this question - my interview is outside the US but I am here, in the US. If I do AOS now, is there a chance that it will be processed and that I will have my interview here before September 30th or before they run out of DVs?
Thanks in advance!

At this point I would suggest you not to make this change. It is not easy and we are already towards the end of the FY 2010. So, stick with CP. Good luck!

I have this question - my interview is outside the US but I am here, in the US. If I do AOS now, is there a chance that it will be processed and that I will have my interview here before September 30th or before they run out of DVs?
Thanks in advance!

Thank you Feel!
Problem is that if the interview fails, I have nothing and no one back home. My home is here and so is my husband (recently got married). So, if I have to stay there, its basically a tragedy.

Hi all,

At this point I would suggest you not to make this change. It is not easy and we are already towards the end of the FY 2010. So, stick with CP. Good luck!

Do you already got your interview letter? If so, then you should not worry too much. AOS is lengthy process comparing to CP. If your CN is high, then I am afraid, you can't finish within time.

Please have your signature, so that we can understand your case progress.

Thank you Feel!
Problem is that if the interview fails, I have nothing and no one back home. My home is here and so is my husband (recently got married). So, if I have to stay there, its basically a tragedy.

Congrats buddy, that's pretty fast! What are the documents requested for the interview, do you mind sharing?

Well, the paper does not say anything specific. It tells you to bring your photo ID, birth certifacate and other basic things.

I dont know how other people's invitation letters look like!
Have you recieved yours?

Laplace

(minor) Update on my case,
I received an email today that says my application was received. (that is because of the G1145 that i submitted)
It also included my case number and suggested i wait for the NOA letter before checking the status...
Of course, I immediately checked the status online. It shows "Initial Review" (2nd circle from left)
I remember that most first see the first circle - acceptance, but i think some have mentioned this stage too.
One step closer...

Yes, I have my letter and my interview is in late may, and my number is close to 2011EU00025***
I will update my signature now.
Thank you!!

Do you already got your interview letter? If so, then you should not worry too much. AOS is lengthy process comparing to CP. If your CN is high, then I am afraid, you can't finish within time.

Please have your signature, so that we can understand your case progress.

Congrats.

(minor) Update on my case,
I received an email today that says my application was received. (that is because of the G1145 that i submitted)
It also included my case number and suggested i wait for the NOA letter before checking the status...
Of course, I immediately checked the status online. It shows "Initial Review" (2nd circle from left)
I remember that most first see the first circle - acceptance, but i think some have mentioned this stage too.
One step closer...

If I were you, I would go back home and do the interview. I think, you will get visa very easily. If you want to start AOS, it should take at least 4 months for interview. As you already went through CP, starting AOS will complicate your case. Anyways, it is just my opinion.

Yes, I have my letter and my interview is in late may, and my number is close to 2011EU00025***
Thank you!!

If I were you, I would go back home and do the interview. I think, you will get visa very easily. If you want to start AOS, it should take at least 4 months for interview. As you already went through CP, starting AOS will complicate your case. Anyways, it is just my opinion. [DISCARD THIS. THIS CAME DUE TO NETWORK PROBLEM.]

Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for helping me, natta, feel and Dabug.
I will follow you guys suggestion!
Also, my check $1070 has been cashed...does it means my application got accepted?

Karen127,
Where did you mail your package, the PO box or the Dearborn address?
Did you include the G1145? I did, so i got a email with acceptance and also my case number....
My check was also cashed yesterday....
Seems like we both started the AOS at the same time, it would be interesting to follow and compare the progress as we go.
Good luck to you and everybody else here.

btw: so far seems really fast.....I remember seeing many wait 1 month before their checks are cashed and/or the moment they receive acceptance....not sure if this is because the money crunch at the government...or what. :)

Thanks for helping me, natta, feel and Dabug.
I will follow you guys suggestion!
Also, my check $1070 has been cashed...does it means my application got accepted?

Yoni123,

I sent my AOS to Dearborn. How abt you?
NO, I did not inculded G1145 buz I did not know I can fill that form out lol
I just check my bank account today morning and find out my check been cased!
Yep, we should follow our progress with each other. Hopefully all of us can get GC sooooon

also, thanks sharminlee !

Karen127,
Where did you mail your package, the PO box or the Dearborn address?
Did you include the G1145? I did, so i got a email with acceptance and also my case number....
My check was also cashed yesterday....
Seems like we both started the AOS at the same time, it would be interesting to follow and compare the progress as we go.
Good luck to you and everybody else here.

btw: so far seems really fast.....I remember seeing many wait 1 month before their checks are cashed and/or the moment they receive acceptance....not sure if this is because the money crunch at the government...or what. :)