• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

@sharminlee

a) What is NOA? Notice of Action (Form I-797C): You receive it after your AOS package is accepted
b) What is PDA? Post Decision Action: Your GC is in the mail
c) What is CPO? Card Production Order: You were approved (mostly after being interviewed) and GC production is ordered.
d) Stick to your status requirements until you get GC. If you want to work while your AOS application is pending, you have to apply for EAD (Employment Authorization Card) when sending your package. This however is most likely not useful since the EAD card is usually mailed weeks before your GC + many people prefer not to complicate their case with it.

I would recommend you send your package quickly. You've been current for a while i guess.

@reptile.
as i understand it can be any person who fluently speaks english and my language and who signs "certification by translator", right?(it doesnt have to be a professional translator).could i do it myself then or it has to be someone else?

I translated my birth certificate and high school diploma myself and then I got my friend who is fluent in both languages to sign the "certification by translator"

@reptile.
as i understand it can be any person who fluently speaks english and my language and who signs "certification by translator", right?(it doesnt have to be a professional translator).could i do it myself then or it has to be someone else?

Even though I've never seen a statement saying you can't translate documents yourself or it has to be an independent translator, personally I would not do it as you have some interest in the translation.
@reptile.

@lucky @ dimus thanks for sharing info!

i have a question about EAD!I have never had it since i am on F1 status.By reading posts i understood it is better not to send it with I-485 package??But then if dont do it with a package there is $380 fee for that!what do you think guys about it?!

I did translate my documents at a sworn translator's office last summer when i was back home (as i thought it was required) but you don't need to. You just need a statement like the one in the "Certification by Translator" part of the following link.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=ff053d146a7ee010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD

Thank you reptile for these valuable tips, I've never seem them before!
I have a question regarding this tip: "If you are sending more than one case in an envelope, clearly separate the cases by rubber band or clip fasteners"
Q:This apply for Main Applicant and Derivatives? For Example my case: Me, the selectee and my husband as a derivative? Until now, I thought my husband and me were 1 only case...
Thank you so much for your help!

@Suzik

I'm not aware of any guidelines concerning this but definitely not yourself. I think family members is not a good idea either. Try to ask a friend.

Any translation by yourself might be questionable. This might also be the case for close family members.

Thanks a lot ...

@sharminlee

a) What is NOA? Notice of Action (Form I-797C): You receive it after your AOS package is accepted
b) What is PDA? Post Decision Action: Your GC is in the mail
c) What is CPO? Card Production Order: You were approved (mostly after being interviewed) and GC production is ordered.
d) Stick to your status requirements until you get GC. If you want to work while your AOS application is pending, you have to apply for EAD (Employment Authorization Card) when sending your package. This however is most likely not useful since the EAD card is usually mailed weeks before your GC + many people prefer not to complicate their case with it.

I would recommend you send your package quickly. You've been current for a while i guess.

@Celinita

It's 1 DV case but you need to have separate applications, i.e. each has to fill an i-485 (while checking different options on the i-485 form), then documents for each would be separated using a rubber band.

Maybe other people in this forum who had joint applications can give more details about what they included (translated marriage certificates, etc..)

Guys,when filling I-485 what is the correct answer in a part 2 in application type: is it a letter "a" or "h" and if it is "h" what are the right words to write?

thanks!

@Yoni123!Thanks!

what did you do guys when it is not enough space to type a word in a form in pdf when you fill it? Would it be a good idea to fill it by pen?

thanks

Guys, in G-325A form there is a question "aplicant's last address outside the United States of more than 1 year".... it means it has to be an adress where i lived more than a year by being outside of the US,right?

thanks

Suzik,
yes your can print it down by pen.
choose h and say DV lottery winner, lottery letter attached. see i-485 instruction
in biographic form enter the last address you were residing before coming to US. this is usually your home country.

@Yoni123!Thanks!

what did you do guys when it is not enough space to type a word in a form in pdf when you fill it? Would it be a good idea to fill it by pen?

thanks

Suzik, Hi, you are kind of new to this forum, so I suggest reading through the forum from the begining and get an idea of the whole process. SO regarding the EAD, you have the options to apply for it with your I-485 with no charge, but some people, like me for example prefer not to apply because, most of the times you do not get the EAD card and the process moves quickly and you actually get your green card fast enough and after you get the GC, forget about the EAD as it is not needed anymore.
@lucky @ dimus thanks for sharing info!

i have a question about EAD!I have never had it since i am on F1 status.By reading posts i understood it is better not to send it with I-485 package??But then if dont do it with a package there is $380 fee for that!what do you think guys about it?!

Boston office

Hi lution,

No interview letter for me as well. Don't know what is going on in the Boston office. We seem to be the last ones waiting:(

Yes, it looks like that the Boston office processes DV cases slower than any other FO. It's probably because they either don't have enough Immigration Officers or they don't know or want to treat them as speeded up cases. Also on January 14th they had updated processing time of I-485 form and it now shows that on November 30th they were processing I-485 forms filed on July 13th. So by now, mid January they should be processing applications filed in the beginning of September 2010. So looking at this trend it looks like we would have to wait another whole month until mid February for them to reach our applications. Although our case numbers were current already by October 1st it looks like that we got stuck in the regular long line of all I-485 forms. No priority or speeding up DV cases. Guys just my recommendation for those of you who will be current in May-June-July and will be doing AoS via Boston office think whether it's worth to go via this office or better change it to another one for doing AoS or even make Consular Processing instead. So frustrating and disappointed. Don't know what to do to make it move. Any suggestions please comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
To all the new comers that are applying now: welcome to the forum. It would helpfull for all to add your information to our google timeline so you guys can track each other progress for the march applications...
To Edward1mel: I agree with you, they dont really treat lottery basis visas with priority (maybe only at the end of the fiscal year they do it). I see in the family basis applications people who apply at the same time I did and had their interviews or even GC already! Maybe it is more related with how busy your FO is...

I have a query. What is the way to pay the AOS fee in the AOS package to Chicago? Can I send normal bank check? Please anyone help. Thanks in advance.