• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hello sdang003. Welcome to the forum & congrats for being current.

As per the 50-day rule (discussed in details in previous pages of this forum and the 2010 one), you can apply as soon as you # appears in the advanced notification section of the bulletin. It's your choice. Check this spreadsheet to check the decisions of other people in the forum.

For the change of address, I sent them an email and a letter. They replied to the email stating my address was changed on file. Include your name, DOB and CN in the email. If necessary call them.

As F1 student, an affidavit of support might not even be required from you. I didn't send one with my AOS package but will prepare one before my interview. The only guideline out there is that you need to prove you will not be a public charge (again check previous pages in this forum). I don't think IRS tax return forms are a must either. They are used as proof of financial stability. If it's too much hassle to correct your status with IRS & request/fill new forms, i would just send them the employment letter + bank statements, but this is just me.

No guidelines for how many years. Usually last two are included.

Maybe others can help with the other questions.

Thank for the warm welcome reptile. I am trying to hire an attorney for my case. Do you think i need one. How much does an attorney charge. Mine said she wants 1500 and i seriously feel that its too much. And for the address change do you thing, can i just do the AR-11 thing online or do i have to send anything in the physical mail?
Thank you so much for your help.

Thank for the warm welcome reptile. I am trying to hire an attorney for my case. Do you think i need one. How much does an attorney charge. Mine said she wants 1500 and i seriously feel that its too much. And for the address change do you thing, can i just do the AR-11 thing online or do i have to send anything in the physical mail?
Thank you so much for your help.

@sdang003. Concerning the change of address, i don't think you need to send it by mail. The safest way to know for sure would be to check with your international school officer. In my case, they just ask you to fill the online form.

Whether to hire a lawyer really depends on you. As you mentioned, sometimes (or "always" would be a more accurate term) they charge a lot of money and you may find out at the end that you know about the process more than they do (check 2010 forum).

If your case is simply F1 (no refugee, intersection of two AOS processes...), i personally think you can educate yourself about the process and do it. As i understood from some gurus in this forum, the DV process is one of the simplest in the broken immigration system.. But it's really up to you. This is a one time opportunity and if you think you absolutely can't do it without a lawyer, sacrificing 1500 $ wouldnt be the end of the world.

An alternative would be consultations: You pay a lawyer 25 or 40$ for 15-20 mns and you ask him your questions (but he won't be applying on your behalf of course).

sdang,
if you want an attorney to look over your AOS package, just hire one for a one hour consultation or so, immi lawyer rates would not top 200-250/h and 1 h should suffice. They won't submit the whole thing for you and officially represent you in your case with this approach, but you can be sure to get the forms and process right.
You have to make sure the lawyer knows DV cases though, as some are more specialized in labor or family cases.
I used avvo dot com to find good lawyers, by posting a simple question and then seeing who answers how.
If you get any info there, please share over here too, we'd appreciate it.

Congratulations to natta, js7, tahoe and Chenthittayil on receiving Green card. All the very best for those who received interview letter.
baobab, lurker, willowher and queenslurker, .....hope to hear changes in your status soon. Good wishes.:)

Hi every one,

Can anyone help me?

I want to know what is "List item #3, Copy of government-issued photo identification", in the list of documents filed to support the I-485. I don't have my ID from my country. Can I use ID made in the U.S. such as state ID, or driver's license?

One more question, I read the thread and learn that you guys'd discussed lots of the differece of DV fees ($440). Did anyone who filed after July 13, 2010 had to pay the difference of ($65). I paid only $ 375 in June, didn't know this. That means I have to make another paymant of $65.

Thank you,

Hi, Thanks,

I know after reading this thread anyone who didn't pay $440, had to repaid $65 to DOS. One more question, is money order from a bank acceptable or strictly postal money order?

Thank you

You can surely use your state ID or driver's license or EAD card as "government-issued photo identification". You said you don't have your ID from your own country, but you should have at least your country-issued passport.

I suggest that you pay the $65 difference right now for peace of mind to avoid any potential problems later on.

Hi every one,

Can anyone help me?

I want to know what is "List item #3, Copy of government-issued photo identification", in the list of documents filed to support the I-485. I don't have my ID from my country. Can I use ID made in the U.S. such as state ID, or driver's license?

One more question, I read the thread and learn that you guys'd discussed lots of the differece of DV fees ($440). Did anyone who filed after July 13, 2010 had to pay the difference of ($65). I paid only $ 375 in June, didn't know this. That means I have to make another paymant of $65.

Thank you,

Bank cashier's check or postal money order are both acceptable.

Hi, Thanks,

I know after reading this thread anyone who didn't pay $440, had to repaid $65 to DOS. One more question, is money order from a bank acceptable or strictly postal money order?

Thank you

Thanks sundaram, I am still around, checking in every day to see what is new. Good luck to you for your coming interview.

Congratulations to natta, js7, tahoe and Chenthittayil on receiving Green card. All the very best for those who received interview letter.
baobab, lurker, willowher and queenslurker, .....hope to hear changes in your status soon. Good wishes.:)

natta, thanks for explaining about EAD.As I understood ,the necessity to get EAD is to use it till you get a green card and for people who have a green card, it is not necessary to have a work permit, right?

bcbg,

Mine doesn't have the priority date either. I'm in Booston too, so I'm not sure if it's Boston thing or people in the other area have priority date on the NOA. Does everyone has it???

I just noticed that the NOA I received back in October does not show the priority date. Is that normal? I was wondering if that could slow the scheduling of the interview? Maybe the Boston office orders applications by the priority date and not having a priority date slows the process.

Congrats

They received my application on 29th October

How was your interview in Wichita, KS. Can you elaborate in details please. It has been so long waiting to hear anyone in the forum from Wichita, KS that had a DV done there. All we here is stories from other states and cities. Please be kindly to narrate to us how that day went.

My case number is now immediately available to me. Do I need to go to USCIS local offie? or, I should send the application package directly to Chicago lockbox. Please anyone help me. Thanks in advance.

Hi, all.

I just called USCIS because 'My Case Status' says my case cannot be found on 'My Case Status' although I received NOA about a month ago. The lady said my case number is not in their data base, then she transferred me to one of the representatives. I can’t believe I waited like more than 1 hour to talk with a representative! (I used “speaker” so that I can check e-mails or do something else while waiting.)

Anyways, I could talk with someone, and she said they have a technical problem right now, and that's why I can't find my case there. She also said it takes 3-4 months to get the interview letter after filing I-485, so in my case I would probably receive the letter in Feburary or March. I told her that I'm DV winner, and she said she knew how it works for DV winners, but it still takes 3-4 months. I guess it's not too bad. If I don't receive the letter, I'll try Info Pass.

I hope the process goes smoothly for everyone!

You need to send your complete AOS packet along with your medical examination records in a sealed envelope to the Chicago lockbox. You will then get a Notice of Action (NOA) from the Lockbox, and later Biometrics appointment letter ( probably from the NBC, I am not sure) . After that your FO should send you an interview letter...Be patient. You have to wait little bit longer, may be couple months more.

My case number is now immediately available to me. Do I need to go to USCIS local offie? or, I should send the application package directly to Chicago lockbox. Please anyone help me. Thanks in advance.

Thanks feel. So, I don't need to go to USCIS office before sending AOS package, rite?

You need to send your complete AOS packet along with your medical examination records in a sealed envelope to the Chicago lockbox. After that, you will get Notice of Action (NOA) from the Lockbox, and later Biometrics appointment letter. After that your FO should send you an interview letter...Be patient. You have to wait little bit longer, may be couple months more.

Why would you want to go there? But If you like to go , its your call. But note you need copy of the receipt for the payment you sent to DOS in your packet. I believe you are waiting for it.

Thanks feel. So, I don't need to go to USCIS office before sending AOS package, rite?

Thanks for reply. Website says, I need to go to USCIS to justify whether I am eligible or not. That's why I was asking. Yes, I am waiting for the fee receipt. So, when you are becoming current?

Why would you want to go there? But If you like to go , its your call. But note you need copy of the receipt for the payment you sent to DOS in your packet. I believe you are waiting for it.

Yes, it looks like that the Boston office processes DV cases slower than any other FO. It's probably because they either don't have enough Immigration Officers or they don't know or want to treat them as speeded up cases. Also on January 14th they had updated processing time of I-485 form and it now shows that on November 30th they were processing I-485 forms filed on July 13th. So by now, mid January they should be processing applications filed in the beginning of September 2010. So looking at this trend it looks like we would have to wait another whole month until mid February for them to reach our applications. Although our case numbers were current already by October 1st it looks like that we got stuck in the regular long line of all I-485 forms. No priority or speeding up DV cases. Guys just my recommendation for those of you who will be current in May-June-July and will be doing AoS via Boston office think whether it's worth to go via this office or better change it to another one for doing AoS or even make Consular Processing instead. So frustrating and disappointed. Don't know what to do to make it move. Any suggestions please comment.

WOW! It all makes sense now. It sucks that we get stuck in line like this, guess we'll just have to wait it out. Looks like high numbers in Boston will indeed be better of doing consular processing.
By the way my NOA doesn't have a priority date either. Not that I know what a priority date is...