• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hey guys here are the links regarding early filing provided to me by one of our forumites (NuvF):

I tht it is only appropriate for me to re-post my comments on this 'eraly filing' aspect which i posted sometime back.
See below

NuvF said:
The guidelines for DV 'early filing' was established some 11 years ago (chk the past bulletins), in '99 I think with the DoS VB 'CONCEPT' of 'Advanced Notification' for DV applicants.

The problem now is, the DV AoS applicants (NOT the USCIS or DoS) misinterpret this 'rigid concept' into a 'rigid time scale' !!

If you go check the 'old' bulletins, 99 & 00 you will find that in those VB s, there is current month and 'advanced notice' for further 2 months into the future, hence a ~90 day lead time.

But then later and up until now they started publishing only 1 month into the future as 'advanced notice'.

The 'concept' did not change but the 'lead time' did !

I do not want to get into any arguments here, but for those potential 'early filers', my kind request is...understand the CONCEPT: 'You file when you see the number in VB advance notice, irrespective of the lead time advantage' (now it is ~50 days, who knows it may go up or down in the future. Only DoS decide the VB release 'timing'. Applicants just need to follow the 'established concept')

Let me stress this for those who are reading.......Acceptance, NoA, Chk Cash, Bios HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH that your i-485 case is 'OK' (yes even to the fact whether your filing is early or not). It is the IO who would eventually intvw you, has the final say (the so called discretionary power) and his 'knowledge' and/or 'willingness to learn' would decide how complicated this will get. (of course they are supposed to refer cases to supervisors if they have any doubts)

Best !

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guy!!!

can anyone please give me an example of a cover letter for AoS package???
is it actually required???

thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
send all so the officer knows that you've maintained your status, although it's written the last one is sufficient.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=ff053d146a7ee010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD

hi guys!!!

can any F-1 students who sent their papers to Chicago help me?????

im about to send my package to chicago but im confused about my I-20s. i know i should submit my I-20 too but i have 5 of them!!!!! should i send them all or just the last one? and should i make a copy of the first page or all of the pages???
please help me, i have a really short time!!!!
anything is appreciated!!!!

Dear Forum Members,

I am on F1 visa. I won the lottery this year and my case is AS20*** which I am hoping to be current by May. I have chosen to do AOS. I have some questions about applying for I-485. Do I need an affidavit of support when I send my AOS package to USCIS. the USCIS does not mention anything about affidavit of support in the Adjusting your status page. They only list the following documents. I am on a F1 student visa and will be graduating with an MBA in May, so if I need an affidavit of support which form do I need I-864 or I-134. Some mention I-864 and some mention I-134. Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated. Some mention we need the affidavit of support only during interview some mention we need to send it with the AOS package we send to USCIS.

Also when can I send my package to the Chicago Lock box facility. Some say u have to wait for the actual month on which your case becomes current. I was intending to apply early most probably by march when I will be able to see the Advance cutoff notification. Based on the progression of the cases, I believe my case number will be current by May but I will be able to see it through advance notification cut off date.

Also do I need a police report from the US. I have been in the country for almost 7 years and have not left the country since I came. I have a recent police report from my home country that mentions I dont have any criminal records against me until Aug of 2003. After that time I have been in the US. If I need a US police report where will I get it from.

Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated. Just want to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks.

The following are the documents required to file for green card (I-485) according to USCIS.

Supporting Evidence for Form I-485
You should submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

Two passport-style photos
Form G-325A, Biographic Information, if you are between 14 and 79 years of age
Copy of government-issued photo identification
Copy of birth certificate
Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable)
Copy of passport page with admission (entry) stamp (if applicable)
Form I-94, Arrival/ Departure Record (if applicable)
Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
Applicable fees
Certified copies of court records (if you have ever been arrested)
Copy of the principal applicant’s selection letter for the diversity visa lottery from DOS
Copy of the receipt for the processing fee of the diversity visa lottery from DOS
Principal applicants must also submit evidence of a high school diploma or its equivalent, or evidence of 2 years of work experience in an occupation requiring at least 2 years of training or experience in the past 5 years.

Baobab,

Seems like me and you will be current together soon in the coming months. It will be great if you can share your knowledge in regards to my thread above. I am on F-1 visa so will l need an affidavit of support. The USCIS site does not make it clear which form I-864 or I-134 to use. Also for the application of I-485 the USCIS does not list any document listed such as I-864 or I-134 as one of the required documents to apply for I-485. Also do we need this form only during interviews or is it required in the AOS package we send to USCIS when we apply for I-485.

Also the question arises on when we can apply for the visa. Do you think it will be fine to apply ahead about 50 days when we see our dates being current through the advanceed cut off system. And the last question I had was in regards to police report. I have one from my country, but I am in the US and will be doing AOS. Doing we need to have a police report from the US on our application.

Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Hi Baobab:
Have not you got CPO yet? Did you infopass? Let us know what's going on.

Does anyone have an idea how long it takes after I-485 approval to receive the social security card? I have been of F1 and without SSN. I was at the SSA office to apply and was told it will be sent automatically since I indicated that I do not have it in my application.

About a month I think.

Does anyone have an idea how long it takes after I-485 approval to receive the social security card? I have been of F1 and without SSN. I was at the SSA office to apply and was told it will be sent automatically since I indicated that I do not have it in my application.

I think you are referring to me ( feel) not Baobab, who already had his interview for AOS....
To answer your questions: For DV AOS, we need I-134 but you do not need to send it with your application packet, just take it with you to the interview and give it to IO if asked. Read the post by NuvF few pages earlier regarding filing 50 days early. It is your decision though. We do not need police report if we are doing AOS here in US. Hope it helps.

Baobab,

Seems like me and you will be current together soon in the coming months. It will be great if you can share your knowledge in regards to my thread above. I am on F-1 visa so will l need an affidavit of support. The USCIS site does not make it clear which form I-864 or I-134 to use. Also for the application of I-485 the USCIS does not list any document listed such as I-864 or I-134 as one of the required documents to apply for I-485. Also do we need this form only during interviews or is it required in the AOS package we send to USCIS when we apply for I-485.

Also the question arises on when we can apply for the visa. Do you think it will be fine to apply ahead about 50 days when we see our dates being current through the advanceed cut off system. And the last question I had was in regards to police report. I have one from my country, but I am in the US and will be doing AOS. Doing we need to have a police report from the US on our application.

Update:

Biometric letter received for an appointment on February 17. I'm thinking about doing walk-in next Thursday. Hopefully, they will let me in and won't turn me away.

Feel,

Thank you for the links, this is really useful information. It confirms again that we can send the package once we see the number is current in the advance section of VB.

Hey guys here are the links regarding early filing provided to me by one of our forumites (NuvF):

http://www.vkblaw.com/news/six.htm (remember at that time they published VB adv. notification 3 mos in advance ie 90 days, but now its ~50 days the most)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/MARCBOQA.pdf (page 6)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/AILA_2Apr08.pdf

I hope this will help.

I am really surprised that you are in this country on an F1 visa for a while already and did not apply for a social security number yet, cause this is the first think people do when they come in this country. You didn't have the need for a social till now? After I got my card I went to the social security office and got my card replaced for a clean one, because my old one said that it is not valid for work unless I have a work permit, and now I will be getting one that has only the number on it. They told me it should take up to 10 days to get it. Good luck

Natta:
If you do not get on-campus employment ( e.g., assistantship etc.) from the School while on F-1, you cannot apply for SS Card (I think !!) unless you show hardship or something like that. This is therefore possible.

I am really surprised that you are in this country on an F1 visa for a while already and did not apply for a social security number yet, cause this is the first think people do when they come in this country. You didn't have the need for a social till now? After I got my card I went to the social security office and got my card replaced for a clean one, because my old one said that it is not valid for work unless I have a work permit, and now I will be getting one that has only the number on it. They told me it should take up to 10 days to get it. Good luck

Congrats! and keep us posted how your walk-in goes, Good luck.

Update:

Biometric letter received for an appointment on February 17. I'm thinking about doing walk-in next Thursday. Hopefully, they will let me in and won't turn me away.

I think you are wrong feel. Everyone can apply for a social security number when they come to this country, unless you are just visiting which I am not sure if you can get a SSN. Beside that, you just go to the social security office with your passport and your I-20 and you get a Social security card. This was my first think I did when I got to US in 2006. You need a card to open a bank account, apply for credit card and apply for an ID. So I will have to contradict you on the Social Security Card Feel.

Natta:
If you do not get on-campus employment ( e.g., assistantship etc.) from the School while on F-1, you cannot apply for SS Card (I think !!) unless you show hardship or something like that. This is therefore possible.

Hi Baobab:
Have not you got CPO yet? Did you infopass? Let us know what's going on.

Hi feel,

There has been no movement in my case, thanks for asking. At this point I am pretty much resigned to waiting the needed 30 days and then I plan to submit a service request. Infopass is impractical for me due to the distance and it will be something that I will only try later if needed.

Baobab,

I believe that your question was addressed to feel, but to echo what he already answered:
- for affidavit of support you need I-134. You do not have to submit it with your AOS package, just have it with you for the interview.
- my opinion is that it is pretty safe to apply when your number is shown current in the advanced notification of the visa bulletin, but it is your call if you want to do that or wait until the start of the actual month when you are current.
- you do not need police reports from either US or your country. You have asked this question before and multiple forum members answered it (several pages back).
Good luck.