• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

So sorry to hear that, Don't worry, you will catch up, but a little bit latter. Keep us posted to what happens latter. Good luck. :)
It is amazing! We look through my spouse's returned doc's. Also we communicated with them. They did six (!) mistakes so far. One was crucial. The check was not the only doc that was lost. Some docs misplaced... They gave us a case number on Oct.15, but did not inform us, the form G-1145 was misplaced, we found it in the middle of the package, it substituted another doc, that was lost (!). Even when we called them on Oct.18 they said it is not ready yet and we should wait. Wait up to 30 days (!).
Now they stopped our case up to 45 (!!!) days to do an investigation. (Why do they punish us? (!!!))
So, we will go our long curved personal way guys, different from yours. I am not going to show up often here.
Good luck to everyone.

2500 in Baltimore!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shoot, I'm really screwed. I was planning to move out in January already from my current apartment, so I'll have to return every day to check the mail in the old address. I really hope that being that busy wont affect DV winners and we wont have to wait for so long

Antin, just a small remark, you have the wrong month in your signiture, October is 10 not 09.
Regarding the Baltimore, never know, you are a DV case and have nothing to do with thoe other cases, so good luck and don't give up hope, and check your mail for a surprise :)
2500 in Baltimore!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shoot, I'm really screwed. I was planning to move out in January already from my current apartment, so I'll have to return every day to check the mail in the old address. I really hope that being that busy wont affect DV winners and we wont have to wait for so long

Hey keepkeep. I am an F1 student for over 4 years already. The requirement for instate tuition is that a student must reside at least one year in the same state and of course be a citizen or an LPR, definetly not on a visa. SO I live in Vermont since August 2006, so if I do get the green card I dont see why I can not get in state tuition if I will not require the I-20 any more. Its complicated, cause with F1 you have to full time student all the time and take at least 9 of your credits on the campus, which apparently I did not know and this semester I registered for 2 online classes and 2 on campus and then I wa contacted by the office that deals with the international students and was told I either have to take one more classes, or what happened is that one of my online classes teachers was nice enough to meet with me during the semester few times in order to make that class hybrid, which would satisfy the requirements for me in order not to loose the F1 status. So yeah, really complicated with this status thing, and next semester I have only 1 class left and the internship in order to graduate, so If I will still happen to be on the F1 visa they will make me take full time, doesn't matter that I dont need that class, gotta have the number of credits required.:(

Hi Natta,

I was an F1 student for a long time now in the U.S. so I know for a fact that you are LEGALLY allowed to take 1 course if you had already petitioned to graduate and that is your last semester. Just in case you need to register before your status changes, make sure you don't get misinformed into taking a full course load if it's your last semester.

I heard about this as well, as my cousin graduated couple years ago as well her ein Vt and he said the same thing, but when I met with the coordinator from my school, she said that you have to take full time classes, which I dont really want as I graduate. Well, if nothing changes till then regarding the card, I will have to fight them in order to not take 12 credits which I dont need. Lets see how it goes, It is too early to talk about it yet.

Hi Natta,

I was an F1 student for a long time now in the U.S. so I know for a fact that you are LEGALLY allowed to take 1 course if you had already petitioned to graduate and that is your last semester. Just in case you need to register before your status changes, make sure you don't get misinformed into taking a full course load if it's your last semester.

Sealight,
I am sorry to hear your case is facing problems
1: first of all, do not get upset or panic. Usually these time frames like 30-45 days are the up most.
2: I am confused with your situation now, if they have sent your documents for only one application back, why don't you organize it and send it back to them again?
3: did you have a cover letter and did you place tabs under your every each document to make it easy for them to find out?
4: did you separate the 3 applications in your package?

Tell me more about where every application of yours is and what exactly they told you they are investigating.
Please keep us posted for what happens. You have friends and options.

It is amazing! We look through my spouse's returned doc's. Also we communicated with them. They did six (!) mistakes so far. One was crucial. The check was not the only doc that was lost. Some docs misplaced... They gave us a case number on Oct.15, but did not inform us, the form G-1145 was misplaced, we found it in the middle of the package, it substituted another doc, that was lost (!). Even when we called them on Oct.18 they said it is not ready yet and we should wait. Wait up to 30 days (!).
Now they stopped our case up to 45 (!!!) days to do an investigation. (Why do they punish us? (!!!))
So, we will go our long curved personal way guys, different from yours. I am not going to show up often here.
Good luck to everyone.

Antin,
Baltimore was one of the fastest local offices last year. That was my point! The volume of cases don't matter if they are better staffed and well experienced. They know DV cases are supposed to be dealt with in a timely manner.

With Newark,NJ numbers I better go take a hike:))))

On the other hand my friend got her EB1 approved in Newark in 2 month and without an interview

You can check how busy your field office is with the USCIS statistics page -
(select I-485 as the form, put your local field office in and look at the second chart).

dashboard.uscis.gov/index.cfm?formtype=9&office=57&charttype=1

Natta, St.Alban's probably has one of the lowest volumes, so good for you!
I am in Minneapolis... Anybody in this area?

Antin,
Baltimore was one of the fastest local offices last year. That was my point! The volume of cases don't matter if they are better staffed and well experienced. They know DV cases are supposed to be dealt with in a timely manner.

Antin, khayat is right, and if you have to move there's something called... mail forwarding!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can check how busy your field office is with the USCIS statistics page -
(select I-485 as the form, put your local field office in and look at the second chart).

dashboard.uscis.gov/index.cfm?formtype=9&office=57&charttype=1

Natta, St.Alban's probably has one of the lowest volumes, so good for you!
I am in Minneapolis... Anybody in this area?

I'm in St. Paul

Bobik,
hi and welcome,
I got couple of questions and comments:
One of the requirements for most of the AOS applications especially family based AOS is financial ability. You need to prove that you are not going to be a public charge. That will be shown by the level of education, history of employment, credit history and score (if any), age, health, marital status and etc.
there is a fair number of posts about this in this or last year's forum which you can read and learn.

It is totally up to the I/O at you local office to decide whether you need an employment letter or affidavit of support or not. Some of the F students last year did not have it and were fine and some had to get it. The fact is, you do not have to have it ready to be sent with your application. You may tho, but if you don't then it is up to the I/O to ask for it or not. If I/O feels like you need one, then you need to bring it to your interview.

I found it odd that the affidavit of support required was I-864, when everyone seems to think that I-134 is generally used for AOS. However I did not find anywhere that you should have one versus the other. Does anyone know of a website that explains it in detail?

I heard about this as well, as my cousin graduated couple years ago as well her ein Vt and he said the same thing, but when I met with the coordinator from my school, she said that you have to take full time classes, which I dont really want as I graduate. Well, if nothing changes till then regarding the card, I will have to fight them in order to not take 12 credits which I dont need. Lets see how it goes, It is too early to talk about it yet.

Hi natta,

I've been a F-1 student for over a year now, but when I asked my international student office, they said that the one-year period to have the in-state tuition fee only works if you're already a citizen or PR but from another state. If you are F-1 visa holder, the one-year period hasn't even started yet regardless how long you have been in the US. Once you get the GC, then the one-year period will start. That's what they told me, you might want to ask them again, or maybe the law differs one state to another?

Regarding being full-time in the last semester, I am pretty sure that you can submit petition that you are graduating and have only 1 or 2 courses left. If not, they are just messing with you !!

Thank you, Izzy120. I received the returned package 10/19. I resend the package today, sign~ Hope I can get through you guys' excitement soon. Hope we can get through this process~ Thanks

Updates:
10/01: AOS package sent to Chicago
10/04: Package delivered
10/13: Acceptance & Checks Cashed
10/18: NOAs received
10/21: Biometrics nottices received for 11/12

Good Luck to all of you,
ARMANIO

Updates:
10/01: AOS package sent to Chicago
10/04: Package delivered
10/13: Acceptance & Checks Cashed
10/18: NOAs received
10/21: Biometrics nottices received for 11/12

Good Luck to all of you,
ARMANIO

Biometrics Appointment for ppl whose AOS package was received on 10/04

Did anyone whose AOS package was received on Oct 4 or later gotten a letter for their biometrics appointment yet?

Wondering if I'm the only one left...