• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

hi guys!!! im absolutely new to this site, i have got a question and please respond me if anyone knows the answer.im a dv2011 winner, cn is 16xxxEU so ofcourse im gonna do the AOS. when i went to the local USCIS office yesterday, they gave me a checklist for I-485 DV. im pretty familiar with all but one thing doesnt make me happy. it says LETTER OF EMPLOYMENT OR EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT OR I-864...affidavit of support. im a f-1 student by the way. aaaand when you go to the uscis.gov they have a checklist too, but they is nothing about support or anything???????????? please answer if u can, anything will help!!!!! thank you!!!

Hey leongsce, so the biometrics is done at the same office where the interview is conducted from what I know. For example in Vermont, there is only one field office or as other call local office, where I supposed to go there for the biometrics on 10/28, where from my knowledge is the place where you get interviewed as well. There is also a service center in Vermont, which is one of few service centers in the country, which happens to be in the same town as the field office, only different adress. These two are different, as the field office you can walk in for information or biometrics, while the Service Center no one can get access to beside the authorized personel.

natta,
my guess is that different cities may have different practices when it comes to service centers. in larger locales there are numerous asc to support the field office. for example, in los angeles, there is one field office in downtown l.a. there are many asc where they perform other support functions like biometrics. maybe because l.a. county is pretty widespread and they must have convenient asc locations to service the public, hence the many asc's. but i am sure there are also many fo's functioning as asc's and do biometrics and interviews as well.

Bobik,
hi and welcome,
I got couple of questions and comments:
One of the requirements for most of the AOS applications especially family based AOS is financial ability. You need to prove that you are not going to be a public charge. That will be shown by the level of education, history of employment, credit history and score (if any), age, health, marital status and etc.
there is a fair number of posts about this in this or last year's forum which you can read and learn.

It is totally up to the I/O at you local office to decide whether you need an employment letter or affidavit of support or not. Some of the F students last year did not have it and were fine and some had to get it. The fact is, you do not have to have it ready to be sent with your application. You may tho, but if you don't then it is up to the I/O to ask for it or not. If I/O feels like you need one, then you need to bring it to your interview.

here is a couple of questions:

what is your level of education: are you a grad or undergrad?
have you ever worked here as RA, TA
have you been receiving any financial support through US banks?
Do you have a SS#?
Are you single, married?
Do you have a fat bank statement?

anyways, you get the idea, read more about it in previous posts and last year's forum.

Good luck

hi guys!!! im absolutely new to this site, i have got a question and please respond me if anyone knows the answer.im a dv2011 winner, cn is 16xxxEU so ofcourse im gonna do the AOS. when i went to the local USCIS office yesterday, they gave me a checklist for I-485 DV. im pretty familiar with all but one thing doesnt make me happy. it says LETTER OF EMPLOYMENT OR EVIDENCE OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT OR I-864...affidavit of support. im a f-1 student by the way. aaaand when you go to the uscis.gov they have a checklist too, but they is nothing about support or anything???????????? please answer if u can, anything will help!!!!! thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually we did not apply for I-765 and I-131. I only sent I-485. As I am already working on H1. Also, my husband's G1145 had a different cell and email address, but he didn't get any notification yet, only I did!

You receive a notification for each submitted application. I assume you submitted forms I-765 and I-131 for EAD and AP together with your I-485 application. Then, the six notification are for both of you times 3 applications.

wait couple of days before being worried. It might be possible that they did yours first and then started your husband's. It may also depend on if his non immigrant status is different from yours. Did he have any previous application with USCIS?

Actually we did not apply for I-765 and I-131. I only sent I-485. As I am already working on H1. Also, my husband's G1145 had a different cell and email address, but he didn't get any notification yet, only I did!

Check your all email carefully, probably they have sent your hubby's receipt number in one of those email. You know, it all looks same sometimes although they are not:)

How busy is your Field Office?

You can check how busy your field office is with the USCIS statistics page -
(select I-485 as the form, put your local field office in and look at the second chart).

dashboard.uscis.gov/index.cfm?formtype=9&office=57&charttype=1

Natta, St.Alban's probably has one of the lowest volumes, so good for you!
I am in Minneapolis... Anybody in this area?

He is in the same status as mine - H1. What did you mean by previous application? Pending?? No pending app for him in USCIS, nothing for me also other than this I-485 we applied now.

I guess I will just wait :) Thanks for the reply!

wait couple of days before being worried. It might be possible that they did yours first and then started your husband's. It may also depend on if his non immigrant status is different from yours. Did he have any previous application with USCIS?

Great! You know last night I was killing myself and google to find such thing! This is helpful.

Bigger city offices have larger staff number and they are more experienced too. I think the ratio between yellow and green matter. Which means how fast they are processing it. For most of the offices this ratio is about 1/3.

(select I-485 as the form, put your local field office in and look at the second chart).

OMG! You are so damn right, three emails have same receipt number and another three has another receipt number.
Thanks a lot for pointing this out!!!

Check your all email carefully, probably they have sent your hubby's receipt number in one of those email. You know, it all looks same sometimes although they are not:)

I checked the link that sj posted about the field offices. Yep, my office has only 70 cases which is nothing compared to lets say boston that has over 2000. :)
Great! You know last night I was killing myself and google to find such thing! This is helpful.

Ssj1, Thanks for sharing this useful info...

Wow Natta, your field office has REALLY REALLY low volume... I'm pretty sure you'll be done by this year since all the volume is in 2 digits!!

Thanks , I hope to get the interview appointment some times soon. I really want to be done with everything till new year, so I can change my status for school and not pay that much, Vermont even though it is a small state, has crazy tuition fees for education, especially when you are out of state, international student :(
Ssj1, Thanks for sharing this useful info...

Wow Natta, your field office has REALLY REALLY low volume... I'm pretty sure you'll be done by this year since all the volume is in 2 digits!!

For instance, Baltimore is one of the busy offices with 2500 pending AOS, Last year 2 applicants from Baltimore were done in 2.5 months. They were both current in October.
there must be other factors involved here.

and there is a "Charleston, SC" with only 500 applicant. Last year one of the DVs current in November. Took his case 5.5 months from Charleston.

Thanks , I hope to get the interview appointment some times soon. I really want to be done with everything till new year, so I can change my status for school and not pay that much, Vermont even though it is a small state, has crazy tuition fees for education, especially when you are out of state, international student :(

natta,

Are you an F-1 student? I thought after we get the GC, we still have to wait another year before we can get in-state tuition fee? Are you sure that we can get it right away after we get the GC? Or the requirements differ for each state?

Hey keepkeep. I am an F1 student for over 4 years already. The requirement for instate tuition is that a student must reside at least one year in the same state and of course be a citizen or an LPR, definetly not on a visa. SO I live in Vermont since August 2006, so if I do get the green card I dont see why I can not get in state tuition if I will not require the I-20 any more. Its complicated, cause with F1 you have to full time student all the time and take at least 9 of your credits on the campus, which apparently I did not know and this semester I registered for 2 online classes and 2 on campus and then I wa contacted by the office that deals with the international students and was told I either have to take one more classes, or what happened is that one of my online classes teachers was nice enough to meet with me during the semester few times in order to make that class hybrid, which would satisfy the requirements for me in order not to loose the F1 status. So yeah, really complicated with this status thing, and next semester I have only 1 class left and the internship in order to graduate, so If I will still happen to be on the F1 visa they will make me take full time, doesn't matter that I dont need that class, gotta have the number of credits required.:(
natta,

Are you an F-1 student? I thought after we get the GC, we still have to wait another year before we can get in-state tuition fee? Are you sure that we can get it right away after we get the GC? Or the requirements differ for each state?

It is amazing! We look through my spouse's returned doc's. Also we communicated with them. They did six (!) mistakes so far. One was crucial. The check was not the only doc that was lost. Some docs misplaced... They gave us a case number on Oct.15, but did not inform us, the form G-1145 was misplaced, we found it in the middle of the package, it substituted another doc, that was lost (!). Even when we called them on Oct.18 they said it is not ready yet and we should wait. Wait up to 30 days (!).
Now they stopped our case up to 45 (!!!) days to do an investigation. (Why do they punish us? (!!!))
So, we will go our long curved personal way guys, different from yours. I am not going to show up often here.
Good luck to everyone.