• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

P.S- you might think why I used cashier's check and A personal check, I applied for my AOS twice, once in jan and another in june.

Yeah, and he had lot of FUN doing that !!

Hey bud, I m saving the last bit of my coconut liquor bottle for you....hurry up !!

Hi winnerdv11,

AOS fee could be paid either by personal check, money order
or cashier's check. You should write a separate check for each
applicant. They treat each application individually. Should there
be any problem with one application so that they can proceed with
the other one.

You still have a lot of time left till October. Make sure do your
homework, read this tread from the first page. Save the information
you think can help you in a file. Always read the instructions for yourself.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

P.S. When you post something please choose Reply With Quote
so that we know what the subject was. Thanks...

Capeolive,
I will do so. I will not apply for EAD and AP for both of us. Another thing I wanna ask u is about the AOS fee: should I write a personal check or money order when I send my documents. Last week we went to infopass and we were given a pre-printed paper which has a list of things we need to do. It also says “cashiers check or money order”. Does not mention about “personal check” . I read somewhere in DV AOS thread that it is okey to send personal checks, so that it will allow us to track activities in our cases. Since you have already gotten you GC, what did u do? Sorry I am asking lot of questions, hope u do not mind. This entire process is so overwhelming for us. CP seems to be lot easier than AOS.

Hi Shariifka,
Thank you for the info. I am graduating in December, 2010. I will be applying OPT in September. If they start giving out soon then I might get my OPT card in 6 weeks as u did.
Thank you guys very very ….much for answering my questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Summet and NuvF

Thank you all for your help.

@winnerdv11

For DoS Fee- cashiers check or money order ONLY.
for i-485 - you have the option of personal chk as well.

What is your field office.

Send in your OPT as you would normally do. (send in your offer letter too with a specific start date, it will help speed it up)

send i-485 in Oct. let them take their own course.

You should be fine. My guess is you will get GC before OPT EAD and they will cancel your OPT application. My advice is apply at least for AP with your i-485, just in case your case drags and you need to travel. But if you travel and you use AP then your OPT EAD will not be valid and you will need to apply for 1-485 based EAD.

Usually in the beginning of FY it is not a bad idea to apply for EAD and AP both, but just do not use/activate them unless you have to.

Best !

my Field Office is at SanAntonio, TX. When we went to infopass, ........

Ah....just another 'Mis-InfoPass' saga!!

Just forget about it, those front line ppl do not represent the (mostly) hardworking, sensible ppl at USCIS.
But 'cos of them USCIS looses a big PR battle and the powers that be seems not privy to that idea at all.

Take it easy...consider it the HAZING you got getting into this DV Journey as a 'freshman'!!

This is why I personally discourage ppl going there at the 'beginning'....it is another matter if you go there when your case is some what down the road in the 'system'.
( I m not sure you said here you are going there, did you?, OR you found this afterward I bet)

For the beginners, finding this forum is the BIG InfoPass ever!!

thanks Cepeolive and NuvF

Hi Capeolive , thanks for your technical support. Still having problem, I will do next time.

It was nothing new about the mis- infopass anyways. getting some good information just happens once in the blues, I am glad I was lucky to get a IO really helping me out. But winnerdv11, dont worry about whatever they said, coz first of all not a lot of the people there in infopass have clear idea about the DV and even those who knows about it dont have clear idea about the process. I can still remember when a lady told me that If I am in the non-immigrant visa there is no way I can apply for I485, and she didnt want to listen anything about the DV, coz she didnt know about it. So, I will suggest you not to go over there until you file your I485, the best time to go there and ask about your case will be after you have your number current so that you can ask them the status of the file ans stuff like that.
anyways you have plenty of time left, do your homework and you will be in good shape.
my Field Office is at SanAntonio, TX. When we went to infopass, the front desk man who gave us info about DV seems not nice. I was so discouraged. Seems very rude, not helpful. First he said "why u guys here, its too early for u guys to inquire". Then he said come to get the info once your number gets current "probably in October". Me and my husband were like : u son of B... , then I asked to him saying "to get info we have to come back again? then he went ahead and pull a pre-printed copy which has a list of things need to be done. Then he said send all the listed documents to Chicago when visa number gets current. He also said that there is no guarantee that u guys will get the GC, then he said "it's just a lottery". He seems very annoyed seeing us. I was so surprised and I told my husband (on the way home) that this is not how one should treat people. That man has job becasue of us, otherwise he will be one of those millions, unemployed people who got laid off. I was telling my husband that he should be thankful to us (entire immigration community), that because of us his job is secure.

Hi winnerdv11,

You are not alone. Do not be discouraged
by the actions of some that don't know and
don't know that they don't know.
The card
is not theirs to give. You have already won
that right. I am posting my experience that
I had just prior to sending in my DV AOS
application which I have posted before...

Something similar happened to me when I was about to apply for AOS in
February I did an InfoPass, I had somethings I wanted to clear out. At the
time I had a pending I-485 for 6 years and at the time I had to wait 2 more
years on that. I explained the person that I wanted to close my pending case
and do a DV AOS application. She told me not to close it and wait because it
had already being pending. Whatever I asked she said "It is your decision, sir"

When I insisted on applying for DV AOS and ask her when I can apply and that
I needed information. She said that I could apply after October 1, 2010 and
they could give me the information then.

When I told her that it had already started in last October and I was about to apply
and insisted on the forms (I did not need the forms, I just wanted her to do
something other than giving me false information without even blushing each time
I corrected her) She finally moved "herself" and brought me bunch of "expired" forms.

I am sure she still works there and "informing" people!

my Field Office is at SanAntonio, TX. When we went to infopass, the front desk man who gave us info about DV seems not nice. I was so discouraged. Seems very rude, not helpful. First he said "why u guys here, its too early for u guys to inquire". Then he said come to get the info once your number gets current "probably in October". Me and my husband were like : u son of B... , then I asked to him saying "to get info we have to come back again? then he went ahead and pull a pre-printed copy which has a list of things need to be done. Then he said send all the listed documents to Chicago when visa number gets current. He also said that there is no guarantee that u guys will get the GC, then he said "it's just a lottery". He seems very annoyed seeing us. I was so surprised and I told my husband (on the way home) that this is not how one should treat people. That man has job becasue of us, otherwise he will be one of those millions, unemployed people who got laid off. I was telling my husband that he should be thankful to us (entire immigration community), that because of us his job is secure.

Dont even think about hiring a lawyer. I have tried my luck I dont want any one else to do it.
I did not know about this thread before, so I went to infopass. If I have known this thread before, I would have never gone to that place unless absolutely necessary. Other day I was telling my husband that I will pay to the lawyer 10,000 dollar if he/she is allowded to represent us on our behalf. I am just so much discouraged to go to that place again. But seems like that option is not available for DV AOS.

Thanks again guys, u guys are very supportive.

Hi Capeolive , thanks for your technical support. Still having problem, I will do next time.

Hi winnerdv2011,

Just educate yourself in the process,
you do not have to go to your field
office until your interview. You can
find answers to almost all your questions
here.

As for lawyers it is hard to come by good
lawyers who are experienced in DV AOS
cases. Out of 50,000 DV applications only
around 1500 are done in US as AOS rest
are done overseas as CP. Because of this
even USCIS "sometimes" doesn't have
experienced immigration officers in DV
AOS cases.

Your best bet is to educate yourself in
the process. Good luck...

I did not know about this thread before, so I went to infopass. If I have known this thread before, I would have never gone to that place unless absolutely necessary. Other day I was telling my husband that I will pay to the lawyer 10,000 dollar if he/she is allowded to represent us on our behalf. I am just so much discouraged to go to that place again. But seems like that option is not available for DV AOS.

Thanks again guys, u guys are very supportive.

Thank you so much Capeolive,

You said a soft LUD will be seen at my case status?
Where I should look for it? :confused:

Hi suu5,

You'll see a soft LUD at your case status whether
today or tomorrow. Doing biometrics will initiate
the rest of the process. Don't worry and keep the
faith...

soft LUD at first means the latest update on your case, when its a soft LUD you will only see the change in date rather than change on status, to check on that go to the USCIS web site, if you have your account there sign in with your account if not just put the MSC# that you have in your NOA, and there just check the last updated date, it should be the date a day later to your biometrics.
You said a soft LUD will be seen at my case status?
Where I should look for it? :confused:

best of luck for ur interview chooti. I am sure you will be approved...
soft LUD at first means the latest update on your case, when its a soft LUD you will only see the change in date rather than change on status, to check on that go to the USCIS web site, if you have your account there sign in with your account if not just put the MSC# that you have in your NOA, and there just check the last updated date, it should be the date a day later to your biometrics.

Hi chooti,

You have my best wishes and prayers
for your upcoming interview. Come back
with good news. Keep us posted...

I had the same experience with uscis when we went there just after we won the lottery. they didn't answer any of my questions and asked me wait until the number is current. I didn't want to go there again and got very frustrated and end up hiring a lawyer. we hired him just because we didn't want to go there and talk to them for any problem arise in the process.

It was nothing new about the mis- infopass anyways. getting some good information just happens once in the blues, I am glad I was lucky to get a IO really helping me out. But winnerdv11, dont worry about whatever they said, coz first of all not a lot of the people there in infopass have clear idea about the DV and even those who knows about it dont have clear idea about the process. I can still remember when a lady told me that If I am in the non-immigrant visa there is no way I can apply for I485, and she didnt want to listen anything about the DV, coz she didnt know about it. So, I will suggest you not to go over there until you file your I485, the best time to go there and ask about your case will be after you have your number current so that you can ask them the status of the file ans stuff like that.
anyways you have plenty of time left, do your homework and you will be in good shape.