• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hi feel,

I-864 is required in family based applications from
very close relatives. For DV AOS applications I-134
is required.

The reason of the confusion is "no time, copy paste generation"
They sometimes require marriage documentation from single people...

Hey Shariifka, are you are asked for to bring I-864 but not I-134 ? I am wondering why.

Hi shariifka,

It is simply because of sending the standard form
without checking one's file. Don't worry about it...

Hey Feel! I'm just as curious!!! I'm beginning to think they have over looked the fact that my I-485 is based on the DV lottery and maybe thinking someone other than myself is petitioning for my immigration into the US. I'll find out through an infopass Monday. Has anyone else been asked for an I-864 .... anyone?

Hi shariifka,

Thank you for editing your post...

Thanks Capeolive!!! The date is 08/25. They put everything except the things that are concerned with the DV program (NL, DoS fees etc). My post above yours asks a question regarding I-864 (I saw you online and was like ... OMG, the AOS guru, gotta ask Capeolive something ... LOL). Do you think it has something to do with my employment status?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Capeolive,

What do you make of the developments in my case. Does the checklist for my interview look strange? I was unemployed at the time of filing I-485 (and will continue to be so until a week before my interview). But an I-864, isn't that usually for family members petitioning for would-be immigrants? Share your wisdom, once again :)

Not a bad idea to take to intvw the print outs of the 9 FAM 40.41 (especially page 15/38) and 9 FAM 42-33 (page 10/11)

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

Hi winee10,

You might stop by Columbus ASC. If you see a different person
you can try it again. Sometimes it helps to go on a different day...

Happy news Capeolive. I got my interview letter today. It is on AUG 30. So now I don't worry about going for biometrics early. I will wait until Aug 11. After all Columbus office is also not that bad. Just the different officials have different ideas I guess

By the way I got a different checklist from shariifka
1.Interview letter and photo ID
2.all pp and travel doc used to enter us
3. your spouse.birth certificates of children born in US
4. Evidence of common residence and shared life, such as photos, joint insurance policies............
5. If applicable, divorce decrees, certified police clearances, and .....
6. recent pay stubs or earning statement from employer

Happy news Capeolive. I got my interview letter today. ........

Whats going on ???
intvw letters flowing in!!!

who messed with USCIS power supply voltage???...they seems to have gotten an insanely bad JOLT!!

good for all.

Best !!

PS: summet, whats up with Dallas? do you think they are 'shock proof'?

Hi Capeolive & Winee10

Hi Capeolive
What you mean “even though they give EAD and advance parole
for free and easily it would be wise not to use them if possible”. Please clarify this statement. If it is better not to use then why bother to apply. I am thinking not to apply EAD AND AP (FOR BOTH ME AND MY HUSBAND AT ALL). And only apply for my OPT. That way there will be less paperwork and less complication. What do you think? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Hi Winee10,
I do have a job offer from my current employer. (working on CPT). But still my International advisor said it takes at least 3 months to get OPT. In the past (2 years ago) when I applied it took 3 complete months to get my OPT. So I am thinking if I apply in September, I will get it in December with effective date on January 2011.

Suggest me guys, I will do whatever u guys suggest. U guys are experts in this case. I have no clue what I should do.
Thanks again

Hi winee10,

Congratulations on your interview letter.
I hope everything goes smooth for you.

What a day full of interview letters!

I guess we will get Summet's soon.
If not for anything after Dallas Field
Office learns that Miami Field Office
is sending out interview letters like
there is no tomorrow
, they will send
Summet's as well. Hang in there brother...

Happy news Capeolive. I got my interview letter today. It is on AUG 30. So now I don't worry about going for biometrics early. I will wait until Aug 11. After all Columbus office is also not that bad. Just the different officials have different ideas I guess

4. Evidence of common residence and shared life, such as photos, joint insurance policies............

Hi winnerdv11,

My suggestion is do not apply for I-765 and I-131
at all whether for yourself and for your husband.
Especially do not leave US while your case is pending.
You have a very low number you'll get your cards in
no time. Then you'll have all kinds of options...

Hi Capeolive
for free and easily it would be wise not to use them if possible”. Please clarify this statement. If it is better not to use then why bother to apply. I am thinking not to apply EAD AND AP (FOR BOTH ME AND MY HUSBAND AT ALL). And only apply for my OPT. That way there will be less paperwork and less complication. What do you think? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Hi Winee10,
I do have a job offer from my current employer. (working on CPT). But still my International advisor said it takes at least 3 months to get OPT. In the past (2 years ago) when I applied it took 3 complete months to get my OPT. So I am thinking if I apply in September, I will get it in December with effective date on January 2011.

Suggest me guys, I will do whatever u guys suggest. U guys are experts in this case. I have no clue what I should do.
Thanks again

Hi winnerdv11,

3 months sounds more like the longest it can take (although at times it goes to 150 days). However, it can be a lot less too. I got my OPT approved in 37 days after being received and had it with me 5 days later. See how best you can work with the application window for the OPT (I think it's 3 months/90 days before completion of program and 2 months/60 days after it). The text below in bold is from my schools ISSS web-page, but you need to do some research and sole decisions.

USCIS processing times may vary during the year. Students usually receive the EAD (OPT card) between 30 and 60 days after the application is receipted by USCIS. However, during peak periods, processing may take up to 120 business days. There is NO WAY to expedite USCIS approval of OPT applications. Students must plan ahead.

Hope it's even a little helpful.

Congrats winee10...hope Summeet will also receive the appointment soon.

I guess dallas got some good electricians thats why they were able to balance out the power.
Any ways , I am hoping to get my interview letter next week coz the lady i talked to in the office assured me that I am in the system and supposed to get the letter soon, on top of that she verified my address twice. Hoping for the best to come.

@ capeolive. With prayers from all my fellow friends here in the forum, every single member will have their good ending with the greener days. I am sure that I should be getting my letter soon as well. I used to be confused and scared but now I am having lots of faith. On top of that I am working on the new project ( filing tax for 5 years) next week, hope thats gonna be quick and I will be all set by the time I get my interview letter, and about the I134- I am still working on it, hopefully someone will help me out..

thanks for all the best wishes, and I think I am the only one left to get the interview letter for the month of august.
Whats going on ???
intvw letters flowing in!!!

who messed with USCIS power supply voltage???...they seems to have gotten an insanely bad JOLT!!

good for all.

Best !!

PS: summet, whats up with Dallas? do you think they are 'shock proof'?

Don't worry, you'll get it next week. get all things ready
I guess dallas got some good electricians thats why they were able to balance out the power.
Any ways , I am hoping to get my interview letter next week coz the lady i talked to in the office assured me that I am in the system and supposed to get the letter soon, on top of that she verified my address twice. Hoping for the best to come.

@ capeolive. With prayers from all my fellow friends here in the forum, every single member will have their good ending with the greener days. I am sure that I should be getting my letter soon as well. I used to be confused and scared but now I am having lots of faith. On top of that I am working on the new project ( filing tax for 5 years) next week, hope thats gonna be quick and I will be all set by the time I get my interview letter, and about the I134- I am still working on it, hopefully someone will help me out..

thanks for all the best wishes, and I think I am the only one left to get the interview letter for the month of august.

If u think it takes time apply as soon as possible, according to your graduation date. many people I know got it before 8 weeks. Hopefully u will get it soon.

Hi Capeolive

Hi Winee10,

Thanks again

Thank you, Capeolive& Shariifka

Capeolive,
I will do so. I will not apply for EAD and AP for both of us. Another thing I wanna ask u is about the AOS fee: should I write a personal check or money order when I send my documents. Last week we went to infopass and we were given a pre-printed paper which has a list of things we need to do. It also says “cashiers check or money order”. Does not mention about “personal check” . I read somewhere in DV AOS thread that it is okey to send personal checks, so that it will allow us to track activities in our cases. Since you have already gotten you GC, what did u do? Sorry I am asking lot of questions, hope u do not mind. This entire process is so overwhelming for us. CP seems to be lot easier than AOS.

Hi Shariifka,
Thank you for the info. I am graduating in December, 2010. I will be applying OPT in September. If they start giving out soon then I might get my OPT card in 6 weeks as u did.
Thank you guys very very ….much for answering my questions.

hi winnerdv11,
Regarding you question, you can use personal check, money order or a cashier's check of the required amount. They will accept everything. DV fee is the only fee that you have to pay using money order or cashier's check. And about tracking the activities, I even thought the same thing that you can track using the check but the thing is, it really doesn't matter coz the only thing you can see is if your check has been cashed or not, and you will get your NOA about 3-4 business days of having your check cashed. From my personal experience, what I saw was, when I used Cashier's check I got my NOA 2 days earlier than when I used the check. Its all up to you which one you want to use.
P.S- you might think why I used cashier's check and A personal check, I applied for my AOS twice, once in jan and another in june.
Capeolive,
I will do so. I will not apply for EAD and AP for both of us. Another thing I wanna ask u is about the AOS fee: should I write a personal check or money order when I send my documents. Last week we went to infopass and we were given a pre-printed paper which has a list of things we need to do. It also says “cashiers check or money order”. Does not mention about “personal check” . I read somewhere in DV AOS thread that it is okey to send personal checks, so that it will allow us to track activities in our cases. Since you have already gotten you GC, what did u do? Sorry I am asking lot of questions, hope u do not mind. This entire process is so overwhelming for us. CP seems to be lot easier than AOS.

Hi Shariifka,
Thank you for the info. I am graduating in December, 2010. I will be applying OPT in September. If they start giving out soon then I might get my OPT card in 6 weeks as u did.
Thank you guys very very ….much for answering my questions.

@winnerdv11

For DoS Fee- cashiers check or money order ONLY.
for i-485 - you have the option of personal chk as well.

What is your field office.

Send in your OPT as you would normally do. (send in your offer letter too with a specific start date, it will help speed it up)

send i-485 in Oct. let them take their own course.

You should be fine. My guess is you will get GC before OPT EAD and they will cancel your OPT application. My advice is apply at least for AP with your i-485, just in case your case drags and you need to travel. But if you travel and you use AP then your OPT EAD will not be valid and you will need to apply for 1-485 based EAD.

Usually in the beginning of FY it is not a bad idea to apply for EAD and AP both, but just do not use/activate them unless you have to.

Best !