• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Thank you guys for answers.

My job is fine for now. I'm just freaking out with Ifs Ands and Buts.

I can't wait till Oct, it'll be the longest summer of my life:)

Hi lisa6,
I totally understand you.
I'm in the same, but take a deep breath. Stay where you are.
Couple more months and you'll make your own "destiny".

Why is your interview cancelled and what does CPO means? Does it means card processed?

Hello bentlebee,

The Immigration Officer called me on my phone 2 days before the interview and said that my family and I don't need to attend because everything is alright with my case and that he was approving my case right away. Then I received those SMS confirming that the card production was ordered.

Hello all,

Does anybody know when case numbers around 34000 for Asia became current for 2010? Are there any case numbers that never became current or will they all be current sooner or later? I am a DV selectee for 2011 and I am just trying to understand this system. My case number is 2011AS00033xxx and I am a bit worried about the implications of it being so high.

Thanks guys!

Hello all,

Does anybody know when case numbers around 34000 for Asia became current for 2010? Are there any case numbers that never became current or will they all be current sooner or later? I am a DV selectee for 2011 and I am just trying to understand this system. My case number is 2011AS00033xxx and I am a bit worried about the implications of it being so high.

Thanks guys!

Hello toyakumar,

For July this year, the cut-off number for Asia is 23,500 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html)

Last year all case numbers for Asia became current by July/09.

Good luck

Hi toyakumar,

You have a rather high number.
In general doing CP is advised for
higher numbers. Of course if it is
possible.

Cut-off numbers in the past were current for Asia:

2006 in September
2007 in August
2008 in August
2009 in July

2010 the numbers might be current in August or September

Under these conditions you might have a better shot doing CP.
You can check the past visa bulletins from the following site...

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1770.html

QUOTE=toyakumar;2186737]Hello all,

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Thank you i2009 and capeolive for the information.

One thing I would like to understand better is what happens to my F1 visa if in case my immigrant visa is rejected. I am guessing I would have to re-apply for an F1 visa. If so, would the fact that I attempted to immigrate while on a non-immigrant visa spoil my chances of getting an F1 again. I understand these information may not be public but i would nevertheless appreciate any insights you may have. BTW, I am currently enrolled in a PhD program and have a clean record.

Hi toyakumar,

In practice most of the F-1 students who apply
to adjust status get their cards and they are
considered eligible to apply for AOS. Of course
there are some risks of not being able to get
adjudicated.

To me winning the DV Lottery is a great opportunity.
Only very few people get to pursue this opportunity.
If you want to live in US it is worth taking the risk...

I am posting some information on the subject.
Decide it for yourself...

"There is no clear guidance or regulation from the USCIS regarding whether a student is still under F-1 status if s/he has applied for I-485 adjustment of status. Since a student visa doesn't allow "dual intent" as in H or L visas, it seems that filing a green card application - a clear indication of immigrant intent - would terminate one's F1 status immediately. However, there have been strong arguments, precedent cases and even informal remarks from USCIS personnel that indicate one may, in fact, maintain both F1 and AOS status.
It is definitely recommended applying for EAD along with the I-485 application. Additionally, an advance parole (AP) is absolutely necessary if you intend to travel abroad, not only to avoid abandonment of your AOS, but also because you will have a hard time explaining to a consulate officer why you still qualify for an F1 nonimmigrant visa."
"There is little doubt that a student who files an application for adjustment of status is not eligible for a student visa for the purpose of returning to the U.S. from a trip abroad. Leaving the U.S. while an adjustment-of-status application is pending generally constitutes an abandonment of the adjustment application, unless a student has obtained an advance parole document.

It appears, however, that there is some argument for the position that a student may maintain the F-1 status in the U.S., while her/his adjustment-of-status application is pending. There may be many who can benefit from this for several reasons, such as the ability to continue on-campus employment without interruption, using an OPT / EAD until it expires (unless a new EAD is issued based on the I-485 filing), the ability to continue CPT employment or receive authorization for CPT employment, the ability to accept graduate assistantships, and, arguably, the ability to fall back on the F-1 status if the application for adjustment of status is denied."
"Current immigration law provides little, if any, guidance on the maintenance of F-1 status while applying for adjustment of status. Students in this situation should be cautious when making any decisions pertaining to F-1 status issues. While it appears students are allowed to maintain their F-1 status while applications for adjustment of status are pending, each person's situation is unique and may require advice from legal counsel. Since there is no clear-cut law or guidance, the safest course for an F-1 student is to obtain the Advance Parole and the EAD, or have a backup dual-intent status, like the H1B or H-4, to be on the safe side."

One thing I would like to understand better is what happens to my F1 visa if in case my immigrant visa is rejected. I am guessing I would have to re-apply for an F1 visa. If so, would the fact that I attempted to immigrate while on a non-immigrant visa spoil my chances of getting an F1 again. I understand these information may not be public but i would nevertheless appreciate any insights you may have. BTW, I am currently enrolled in a PhD program and have a clean record.

AOS, high case number

Hi folks,
i have a quick question for a friend and any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
His CN 2010AF7****, oklahoma city would be his local USCIS office.
He used the AOS route, what are the chances of him being current and getting the interview before September? Again case number is 2010AF7****

Hello toyakumar,

This is one of the pros about AOS, your F1 visa is a non-dual intention visa. It means that the Officers assume that you want to migrate to the US and that you have to prove otherwise. If you decide for CP, the F1 is revoked before they process your DV petition. If the DV is denied then you are in trouble because you don't have your F1 anymore and because you have showed your intention to migrate.

If everything is clear and you can prove that you won't become a public charge, then there is no reason to think that the CP interview would be wrong.

Good luck to you!

Hi emmka,
The number is rather high but there is still a chance
but not so high. With this number the person can only
apply when the numbers for Africa become current.
When the numbers become current it is first come first serve
they give the visas/cards until they run out of visas.
Check the Visa Bulletins of the past years to have an idea.

"2006 Fiscal Year in September
2007 Fiscal Year in August
2008 Fiscal Year was Never Current
2009 Fiscal Year in September
2010 Fiscal Year (Prediction: Possibly in September or less likely possibility in August)"

If the cut-off numbers become current for September
the DV winner can send in the application around
July 10 (Early Filing) This would give the person
about 80 Days. The chance to get the card before
September 30 is not so high but is still possible.
It also depends on DOS' having enough unused visas.
To me it is worth to give it a shot. I would be positive
and pursue the opportunity...

Hi folks,
i have a quick question for a friend and any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
His CN 2010AF7****, oklahoma city would be his local USCIS office.
He used the AOS route, what are the chances of him being current and getting the interview before September? Again case number is 2010AF7****

Welcome letter received

I have an update on my case. We received the Welcome letter! I still can't believe it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi i2009,

I am so happy for you guys. After processing your case now Philadelphia
has enough experience and time to process my case. Please, don't check
your case status any more, you are causing system failure...

I hope your cards follow soon after and your new status/freedom bring
you and your family happiness and success in your lives...

I have an update on my case. We receive the Welcome letter! I still can't believe it!

Hi capeolive,

I know that you are kidding with us checking the online status but I hardly do it. That site makes me very nervous so I try not to login. That's why I thought that the error mesage that I was getting didn't make sense.

You'll get your CPO, welcome letter, and GC in no time. Hang in there!

congrats i2009 and all da best to capeolive.
I had an biometrics done yesterday!! Somebody told me we get a text msg after our biometrics, haven't got yet!! I have my mobile updates turned on though!!! hope they send me my card without an interview!! M scared of those interview things!!

Hi Capeolive,

I am pretty sure that was a very good interview experience for you. I hope within two weeks you get a card production order update. We pray for your success and God is the one who answers. Keep praying till you get it. All the best.

My Interview Experience at Philadelphia Field Office!

Hi friends,

I was there 15 minutes prior to the interview
I took the elevator to the 3rd floor, it was packed.
I thought I would be there for hours due to the crowd.
After I turned in my interview letter I did not even wait
for 5 minutes, my name was called. The immigration officer
was a rather young gentleman, he looked professional.
Since I knew that my case was rather complicated I did not
have very high expectations but I was confident. To start with
this was my 3rd AOS and 4th immigration filing. I have been living
here for such a long time, my passport was full. I was doing AOS here
my family doing FTJ overseas etc. etc. Under the conditions I had I did
my best to explain the immigration officer my situation. At one point he said
I was very knowledgeable about the subject. He told me I had a unique
case but everything looked good but they had to check my case with
his supervisor one more time and combine all the other cases I had and
for that he had to make a phone call in the afternoon. I also gave him
some paperwork for my family. He said it would take about 2 weeks
for me to get information about my case, but everything looked fine to him.
I thanked him and left...

I did what I could as humanly as possible. I am hoping for the best outcome
for me and for my family. The whole process in a way has been like a dream.
I will believe it when I hold the card and later when I see my family here...

I thank everybody who supported me openly and in private.
I thank God who brought me so far in the process...

I have an update on my case. We received the Welcome letter! I still can't believe it!

I also can't believe)))! So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wohhhhh!!!! I can imagine how happy you are now!!!! So, formally you are the residents now!!!!! My congratulations!!!, your GCs on their way!!!!

Hi nepal2010,

You'll get an update on your EAD application
next business day or so. If you check your status
on Monday or Tuesday you'll probably see it.

For the interview being scared does not help at all.
Just be prepared, immigration officers are good people
they try to help you get your card not other way around.

Be positive. Just don't worry and be happy...

congrats i2009 and all da best to capeolive.
I had an biometrics done yesterday!! Somebody told me we get a text msg after our biometrics, haven't got yet!! I have my mobile updates turned on though!!! hope they send me my card without an interview!! M scared of those interview things!!