• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Thank you i2009,
I have my HSD, I hope everything will be fine). Everytime I get support, I fill better! Thank you!!!
Every day I check this forum, and look for new good from you and linda! I hope guys everything will be good for you!!! Thank you again for your support!!!!

Thanks middle.com,

I too wonder about linda and also about Yaku who had his interview but not news since then.

Good luck to you too, only 5 more days to your interview, right? Everything will be alright!

Hi guys, I need your help)

Yesterday, I checked all documents and I found out one misunderstanding) When I sent my DSP-122 to KCC applying for AOS, in p. 6 b (Name of Educational Institution) I wrote State University (where I studied), but when I ask for the translation of my Diplomas they translated the name of my university as National University( (and this translation was sent to USCIS)
It's too late to email to KCC because they've all sent my file to Field Office. Is it gonna be a problem for me during my interview? Now I worry about it( Who knows what should I do???
Hello middle.com I really do not think it is gong to be a problem.
After 1991 many "State" universities were renamed into "National" universities. You studied there and you knew it as "state" university, but later it became "national" university.
Just explain this if they ask.

Hi Ahad,
If you do not have an annual income of 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
at the interview USCIS can ask you for an Affidavit of Support (I-134 for DV Cases)
This can only be given by a citizen or a permanent resident
who has enough income. Sometimes even if you have enough income
you can still be asked for an I-134. It really depends...

Would you tell me in which city you are going to be interviewed.

I am putting some links down for you:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_4437.html

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=fe3647a55773d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD
My field office is Memphis, TN.

How can they ask me for affidavit of support at the interview? It is not among the list of documents they ask/require me to bring. I think they must put it in writing and give prior notice for preparing it instead of just asking out of the blue moon.
I carefully checked the requirements for Adjustment of Status. Affidavit of support is required for those who are filing on the basis of employment and marriage to a US citizen and not for those who are filing on the basis of Diversity Lottery winning.

I am F1 too. I do not know about your case because the school is actually paying you. However, you do need a sponsor and the interview letter asked me to bring the I-134. My father( who is back home) pays half of my school and I do pay the other half. I am working as a cashier but not with legal documentation. I did not submit taxes when filing.

Now I see.
I hope you will receive your well-deserved Green Card very soon. Yours is really a die hard case and you have my moral support!

How can they ask me for affidavit of support at the interview? It is not among the list of documents they ask/require me to bring. I think they must put it in writing and give prior notice for preparing it instead of just asking out of the blue moon.
I carefully checked the requirements for Adjustment of Status. Affidavit of support is required for those who are filing on the basis of employment and marriage to a US citizen and not for those who are filing on the basis of Diversity Lottery winning.

Hello Ahad,

If you read the AOS Only threads from previous years you'll see that it is a common practice for the Officers to require affidavit of supports (either I-134 or I i-864) for DV cases. Sometimes they require the form in the interview notification letter and some other times they may ask you to provide one if they have some concerns about the risks of you to becoming a public charge.

If they require one and you don't have it, then the Officer issues a RFE (Request For Evidence) and you will need to provide one within the time frame specified in the RFE.

Nevertheless, my interview letter did not require an Affidavit of Support and I didn't bring one and the Officer did not ask me for it. Maybe because I submitted my Tax Return and an Employment Letter.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's enough from your part.
You don't need the name.
I am sure they are happy with you
because you withdrew your service request.
It means less work for them...

Thanks Capeolive,
I will do that but I forgot the name of person I talked.
Just for verification, should I call them again?

Hi ewokra,

Despite the weather do not change your present status.
Until you hold the actual plastic itself keep your status.
Believe me afterwards the weather is going to be much better for you...

Zapatos have you seen any of the Die Hard Movies. In one of them Bruce Willis was getting orders from Simone and it was like " Simone Says, you gotta do this in 2 hours. " In your case you got an order from your IO . I hope you didn't have to cross central park with a taxi. :D:D:D

bye the way guys. I wanna ask a question. Do i still have to keep my i-20 status. I mean do i still have to go to school 20 hours per week. Summer is coming and it is nice outside. I have done biometrics. I have a A#. i have NOA. I know i am going to get my interview letter in 1-2 months but still it would be great to hear that i don't have anything with i-20 anymore. If the answer is yes. what do i need to do? should i just inform the school and they are going to contact with immigration office.

Hi middle.com,

Don't worry about this. In a lot of cases one language
can not be translated to another language 100%.
The word "state" for instance:
In State of Pennsylvania has one meaning,
and in State of Vietnam has another meaning.
State itself can mean both or more things.
Don't worry this is only a matter of translation
unless you live in New York...

Hi guys, I need your help)

Yesterday, I checked all documents and I found out one misunderstanding) When I sent my DSP-122 to KCC applying for AOS, in p. 6 b (Name of Educational Institution) I wrote State University (where I studied), but when I ask for the translation of my Diplomas they translated the name of my university as National University( (and this translation was sent to USCIS)
It's too late to email to KCC because they've all sent my file to Field Office. Is it gonna be a problem for me during my interview? Now I worry about it( Who knows what should I do???

Hi Ahad,

As I said if you are under 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines they have the right to demand it.
But it really depends on IO who interviews you. I wish you get a good one...

thank you guys for your prompt replies!!! Now I am more confident that everything should be ok. I really so happy that we have this forum)

Hi Ahad,

As I said if you are under 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines they have the right to demand it.
But it really depends on IO who interviews you. I wish you get a good one...

Thank you capeolive. I appreciate your good wishes and your willingness to help us all succeed.
I looked at the link you gave about 125% requirement and it is addressed to consular sections, not USCIS field offices.
I know those who are doing it through consular processing are required to provide proof of financial support, but I did not read anywhere that explicitly states such requirement for AOS filers (as lottery winners).
Moreover, I think they HAD the right to demand such proof from me before they sent me the interview letter. I do not think anyone has the right to demand something that is not required and/or asked in writing with prior notice. I will bring whatever that is required from me in the interview letter and I will complain if they will ask something that they did not explicitly ask me with prior notice.
IOs, good or bad, must act within certain rules and guidelines and they do not have the authority to demand something that is outside of their authority. All of these interviews are recorded and the probability of abusing one's position and authority is very low.

Hello Ahad,

If you read the AOS Only threads from previous years you'll see that it is a common practice for the Officers to require affidavit of supports (either I-134 or I i-864) for DV cases. Sometimes they require the form in the interview notification letter and some other times they may ask you to provide one if they have some concerns about the risks of you to becoming a public charge.

If they require one and you don't have it, then the Officer issues a RFE (Request For Evidence) and you will need to provide one within the time frame specified in the RFE.

Nevertheless, my interview letter did not require an Affidavit of Support and I didn't bring one and the Officer did not ask me for it. Maybe because I submitted my Tax Return and an Employment Letter.

Good luck!
Yes, it is all tied up to the issue of your probability of becoming another citizen who lives on government/tax-payer money.
I have read previous forums about AOS and I did not see anywhere anyone saying that it is required. Based on someone's case, they might require it. But if they require, they must send you a letter with such requirement. In no circumstances they can just ask for it at the interview and even if they do, they cannot flatly reject your case right there just because you do not have it.
I do not work, I am a PhD student and serve as a teaching assistant in exchange for financial support. The amount and the duration of this support is clearly shown in the I94. Intelligent person can read and understand it, but I will bring a separate letter from the Human Resources repeating this information.
Thank you for your advice!

Do i still have to keep my i-20 status. I mean do i still have to go to school 20 hours per week. Summer is coming and it is nice outside. I have done biometrics. I have a A#. i have NOA. I know i am going to get my interview letter in 1-2 months but still it would be great to hear that i don't have anything with i-20 anymore. If the answer is yes. what do i need to do? should i just inform the school and they are going to contact with immigration office.

It is always advised to keep your I-20 status till you get the GC in hand ... although i don't think it is required to register for the summer as F1 student, unless there is some new regulation!

Hi Ahad,

I wish I could tell you I am wrong. In practice at the interview
I-134 were requested from people who have an annual income less than
125% of FPG. Recently it happened at the zapatos' interview in New York.
One of the reasons that 100.000 people win Diversity Visa Lottery annually
but only around 55.000 gets the visas is this. They do not give cards to people
they think might become a public charge. (Section 212 (a)(4) of the Immigration
and Nationality Act)

I myself for instance despite having more than annual income over
FPL will go to my interview with an I-134 form just in case.
Since I will do a follow-to-join for my family that live overseas
timing is very important for me.

Saying all these; if you have no means of getting an I-134
go to your interview without one. If they demand it at the interview
you'll worry about it later. Hopefully you'll get a good IO and
they won't mention it. But if they do do not take it personal.
In practice a lot of people were asked I-134 in the past.

At the and of the day if you think you did what you could,
you can pray and relax. But if you think you can do more,
just do it...

Thank you capeolive. I appreciate your good wishes and your willingness to help us all succeed.
I looked at the link you gave about 125% requirement and it is addressed to consular sections, not USCIS field offices.
I know those who are doing it through consular processing are required to provide proof of financial support, but I did not read anywhere that explicitly states such requirement for AOS filers (as lottery winners).
Moreover, I think they HAD the right to demand such proof from me before they sent me the interview letter. I do not think anyone has the right to demand something that is not required and/or asked in writing with prior notice. I will bring whatever that is required from me in the interview letter and I will complain if they will ask something that they did not explicitly ask me with prior notice.
IOs, good or bad, must act within certain rules and guidelines and they do not have the authority to demand something that is outside of their authority. All of these interviews are recorded and the probability of abusing one's position and authority is very low.

Hi Ahad,

Recently it happened at the zapatos' interview in New York.
One of the reasons that 100.000 people win Diversity Visa Lottery annually
but only around 55.000 gets the visas is this. They do not give cards to people
they think might become a public charge. (Section 212 (a)(4) of the Immigration
and Nationality Act)

I myself for instance despite having more than annual income over
FPL will go to my interview with an I-134 form just in case.
Since I will do a follow-to-join for my family that live overseas
timing is very important for me.

Saying all these; if you have no means of getting an I-134
go to your interview without one. If they demand it at the interview
you'll worry about it later. Hopefully you'll get a good IO and
they won't mention it. But if they do do not take it personal.
In practice a lot of people were asked I-134 in the past.

At the and of the day if you think you did what you could,
you can pray and relax. But if you think you can do more,
just do it...

capeolive,
Yes you are right, we have to do everything in our hands and be prepared for anything. I understand this.
But I do not have anyone who can support me and in fact, I do not need anyone support me. I have a good education and I can work and earn my own money.
I think in zapatos' case they asked for it in the interview letter and they demanded to see the original green card of the sponsor. Therefore, I guess it is a different case.
I think the case of everyone matters a lot. I have been in the US since 2002 and had never been a public charge, never broke any rules, never worked illegally. Why should I become a public charge after my working restriction will be lifted? I will work, work,work,work, and work....that is why I need this card, not because I want to feed on someone else's money. I firmly believe they can find evidence for this by looking at my case and my records.
I am sorry that this talk is getting too long. But I think we should know and believe in laws and regulations and our rights rather than depending on one or another IO's good or bad qualities.

Dear guys,
I have a few questions for the documents to take to interview. I am on F1 and I have an I-20, which says school is supporting me. Should I look at the total amount on that to compare with 125% poverty line? or is that only the living expenses part on the I-20 that matters? Should I also bring a I-134?

Also I sent my original medical exam report with my application, because it was sealed and couldn't copy it. Now should I ask the physician to give me another one to bring to the interview?

Hi all,

I have few questions. Well, you can say it confusion. Does USCIS send the interview appointment letter on standard paper or on a plain white paper?
Today I recieved a letter from my local USCIS field office and that's on white paper. The letter has a nice box with all the informations which are office location, date and hour, Ask for "officer name", reason for appointment "Adjustment of status - DV FY 2010", Bring with you "state ID, passport, 194, DV fee paid proof, dv lottery letter and proof you remaind in status".
Below it has mentioned to keep this appointment and bring this letter with you.

My main concern is that my biometrice is not done yet. And this appointment is two days after my biometrics. so confused?

hey guys,
what do u write in c/o in care of section of first part of i485 if u are yourself living in that address right now. can u write ur name or just write the name of any other person living in dat address.

Sorry for your interview Zapatos. But keep praying! My interview is tomorrow. After Zapatos' experience I am kinda scared now. Please guys, pray for me. I hope I could share good news with you after it gets done.

My friend had the white paper and even got the same paper in different enveloppes twice at the same day....USCIS told us not to worry and not to ask more questions or it could mean they would sent a new paper and it could mean 6 weeks delay for a new interview.

She went to the interview with the white paper and nothing seemed out of the ordinary for the employees at USCIS and she was approved.

Regarding another post about I-134....my friend had almost 7 x the poverty guideline and proof where it came from but was still grilled with questions....the employee stopped asking any more questions when she her self pulled the I-134 out of her papers and gave it...It wasn't asked for but since he kept on asking question she felt it might be better to give the paper...only seconds later she got het passport stamped and the employee said "we don't have to worry you ever become a liability"....

It was weird to hear that, but in the end the only thing she wanted was the stamp and GC and giving the I-134 (although not requested at that time) made things go very easy.:)