• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Called USCIS today to get a status update (was getting a little impatient). Anywho, good news, they gave me my NOA numbers over the phone for I485 and I765 which was mailed out on the 14th. I should be getting mail momentarily. :D

Congratulations BlueT41. I too am surprised that they gave you your receipt numbers over the phone.

Good luck!

Congratulations BlueT41. I too am surprised that they gave you your receipt numbers over the phone.

Good luck!

I was surprised as well. They usually don't say much but I got lucky today. I got transferred to another person who was very helpful. Anywho, wishing everyone the best.

Blue

So you would suggest that people with a number that becomes current in Aug or Sept. wait till that month to sent the package, while most people sent their package when their number becomes current which is maybe 60 days before.....?

People are responsible for their own actions but advising them to wait till their month is there might be just the wrong thing either...specially since a supervisor stated clearly (in person), that you can sent your package when your number becomes "current". Most people who got their pakcage back was either if they send it before the fiscal yr started and/or if they send it way to early or if they didn't follow the order things needed to be done or papers were not completed or maybe they weren't eligible by just going over the paper work.

Hello bentlebee,

I know what's wrong with your appreciation. You misinterpreted the meaning of "current". That your number appears in the visa bulletin does not mean that your number is current already. If you get a minute, please read the latest visa bulletin, you'll see the title "ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN DECEMBER". As it clearly says, those rank cut-off numbers WILL apply in December.

If you re-read my note you will see that I wrote "I would not suggest people taking risks if their case numbers are low. Just my opinion..." so it is clear that your comment about me suggesting that late filers should not send their package early is wrong.

Hey everyone

Do you know how you can check if the DOS got the money or not. I sent a money order to them but now i don't know how to check it if they got it or not.
What do you think?

Thanks .
Linda

Hi Linda
they will sned you the same form you sent it with the money order
Make sure it stamped with PAID
Thanks

Hey everyone

Do you know how you can check if the DOS got the money or not. I sent a money order to them but now i don't know how to check it if they got it or not.
What do you think?

Thanks .
Linda

How did you send it...certified mail? If so you could track it online and as the previous poster stated "it will be stamped with the word: paid".

A copy of that could be added to be send to Chicago to proof you have paid the $ 375.-

Called USCIS today to get a status update (was getting a little impatient). Anywho, good news, they gave me my NOA numbers over the phone for I485 and I765 which was mailed out on the 14th. I should be getting mail momentarily. :D

Way to go!

How did you send it...certified mail? If so you could track it online and as the previous poster stated "it will be stamped with the word: paid".

A copy of that could be added to be send to Chicago to proof you have paid the $ 375.-

I sent it with usps mail. And when i tracked it online it says" It was received and signed by.john something...."

I was surprised as well. They usually don't say much but I got lucky today. I got transferred to another person who was very helpful. Anywho, wishing everyone the best.

Blue

Hi BlueT41: Congratulation. I am surprised too that USCIS people gave you the number. I went to USCIS once inquiring about AOS and he was freaking punk. BTW, when do you get Notice of action(NOA)? Are we supposed to get it after we post our AOS package to Chicago lockbox? What does this NOA has? Is it for finger printing etc?

Thanks and good luck.

For those whom have received the AOS NOA: Have any of you tried to check your case status at the USCIS website? They recently changed their website and some people (in other AOS categories) are complaining that their cases are not showing up in the USCIS system.

Good luck everyone

For those whom have received the AOS NOA: Have any of you tried to check your case status at the USCIS website? They recently changed their website and some people (in other AOS categories) are complaining that their cases are not showing up in the USCIS system.

Good luck everyone

My case became available on USCIS web site yesterday (few days later after NoA date), although I read some posts that sometimes it may take weeks to be able to check one's case online.

Filing Date

So you would suggest that people with a number that becomes current in Aug or Sept. wait till that month to sent the package, while most people sent their package when their number becomes current which is maybe 60 days before.....?

People are responsible for their own actions but advising them to wait till their month is there might be just the wrong thing either...specially since a supervisor stated clearly (in person), that you can sent your package when your number becomes "current". Most people who got their pakcage back was either if they send it before the fiscal yr started and/or if they send it way to early or if they didn't follow the order things needed to be done or papers were not completed or maybe they weren't eligible by just going over the paper work.

I was and I still am confused with the whole appropriate “filing date” issue. This is a quote from USCIS November 2008 pamphlet:
“The Chicago Lockbox accepts all Diversity Visa filings within the fiscal year for which the applicant has been selected. For example, the I-485 for an applicant with an FY 2008 selection letter that filed now(March 2008) would be accepted assuming all filing requirements, including submission of the appropriate fee and a completed signature were included. “
And another one:
“The Department of State advised USCIS that each month it would provide the cut-off numbers for the Diversity Immigrant category 90 days in advance. This advance notice is being provided to allow USCIS additional time to process the background checks for DV applicants. USCIS will not accept adjustment of status applications until the beginning of the DV program year on October 1. Applications for adjustment of status filed under the DV program may be accepted for processing any time during the 90-day period preceding the cut-off date provided in the Visa Bulletin.”

So being a shrewd future permanent resident I called about 10 times (about 5 hours in total) the USCIS help desk and spoke with at least 10 different agents and managers. I was firmly assured that on OCTOBER 1st I can submit my papers regardless of the CN. Also one of my friends won last year and sent his papers 5 month before his visa number to become current. He was fine, no problems.
I know they suggest you to file no later then 90-days preceding your cut-off date (it is on their recorded phone massage even). So since my visa number would be current late December by default I should be able to apply now. Anyway, I sent everything I hope I will be OK. Any comments would be appreciated.

I was and I still am confused with the whole appropriate “filing date” issue. This is a quote from USCIS November 2008 pamphlet:
“The Chicago Lockbox accepts all Diversity Visa filings within the fiscal year for which the applicant has been selected. For example, the I-485 for an applicant with an FY 2008 selection letter that filed now(March 2008) would be accepted assuming all filing requirements, including submission of the appropriate fee and a completed signature were included. “
And another one:
“The Department of State advised USCIS that each month it would provide the cut-off numbers for the Diversity Immigrant category 90 days in advance. This advance notice is being provided to allow USCIS additional time to process the background checks for DV applicants. USCIS will not accept adjustment of status applications until the beginning of the DV program year on October 1. Applications for adjustment of status filed under the DV program may be accepted for processing any time during the 90-day period preceding the cut-off date provided in the Visa Bulletin.”

So being a shrewd future permanent resident I called about 10 times (about 5 hours in total) the USCIS help desk and spoke with at least 10 different agents and managers. I was firmly assured that on OCTOBER 1st I can submit my papers regardless of the CN. Also one of my friends won last year and sent his papers 5 month before his visa number to become current. He was fine, no problems.
I know they suggest you to file no later then 90-days preceding your cut-off date (it is on their recorded phone massage even). So since my visa number would be current late December by default I should be able to apply now. Anyway, I sent everything I hope I will be OK. Any comments would be appreciated.

In theory the USCIS will accept DV adjustment of status applications 90 days in advance but the Visa Bulletin only shows the cut-off numbers with 60 days in advance. The problem is that some applications have been returned for filing early (before the month when the case number become current) so that's why there is a discussion of when to submit the application. In my case, my case number is low and I don't want/need to take the risk so I am waiting until my case number is current.

Update my process.

CN : 2010EU00007xxx.
06/20/2009 : First NL from KCC
07/20/2009 : Medical exam is done and we paid $165*2(+100 extra) for two
07/26/2009 : Sent AOS package to Chicago (First try)
08/24/2009 : AOS Package returned.
08/26/2009 : We found right track and we sent DS122 and bar code to KCC.
08/26/2009 : Check ($350*2) to DOS
09/02/2009 : DV fee receipt arrived from DOS
09/10/2009 : Second NL arrived from KCC
10/01/2009 : My number is current in October (Cut off for Europe in Oct.:9100)
09/21/2009 : AOS package sent to Chicago (Second try)
09/23/2009 : AOS package delivered in Chicago
10/01/2009 : AOS package returned.
10/02/2009 : AOS package sent to Chicago (Third try)
10/05/2009 : AOS package delivered in Chicago
10/14/2009 : Checks cashed out ($ 1010*2 for two)
10/17/2009 : waiting NOA

I think it will be good idea to add information where we live so we can compare the local precessing time.

And another one:

The same was told to us when we went to USCIS, but they clearly stated not to sent it prior to Oct. 1, 2009.

My friend decided to wait till the visa bulletin came out with her number current to avoid the package being send back to her....she did send it last Tuesday and yesterday it was received...now she is waiting if they cash her check and when.

It might also depend on what is incl. in the package...some people might not fill out everything that is needed or forget a paper or payment....you never know what people say and in reality have done.

Hopefully my friend's package will be fine, she went over it nummerous times and might have incl. way too much, but rather safe than sorry.

If your number becomes current in Dec. and you wait till Dec. to sent it, you might be a little late due to the Holidays coming up and USCIS being closed for the Holidays, which might delay your background check, etc...and of course your interview date.

If some one has a higher number and they send it in very early they might risk having to sent it again, but on the other hand some have done it and they were fine...it is a choice every one has to make for them self....

Update my process.

CN : 2010EU00007xxx.
06/20/2009 : First NL from KCC
07/20/2009 : Medical exam is done and we paid $165*2(+100 extra) for two
07/26/2009 : Sent AOS package to Chicago (First try)
08/24/2009 : AOS Package returned.
08/26/2009 : We found right track and we sent DS122 and bar code to KCC.
08/26/2009 : Check ($350*2) to DOS
09/02/2009 : DV fee receipt arrived from DOS
09/10/2009 : Second NL arrived from KCC
10/01/2009 : My number is current in October (Europe:9100)
09/21/2009 : AOS package sent to Chicago (Second try)
09/23/2009 : AOS package delivered in Chicago
10/01/2009 : AOS package returned.
10/02/2009 : AOS package sent to Chicago (Third try)
10/05/2009 : AOS package delivered in Chicago
10/14/2009 : Checks cashed out ($ 1010*2 for two)
10/17/2009 : waiting NOA

I think it will be good idea to add information where we live so we can compare the local precessing time.

Hi,

Maybe I'm looking wrong but first you have stated your number is EU0007xxx and later EU 0009100....?

I understand your package was returned because it arrived before the fiscal yr started for which you won the DV...that is what USCIS clearly stated to us...don't send anything than requested forms, before the fiscal yr starts.

Hi,

Maybe I'm looking wrong but first you have stated your number is EU0007xxx and later EU 0009100....?

I understand your package was returned because it arrived before the fiscal yr started for which you won the DV...that is what USCIS clearly stated to us...don't send anything than requested forms, before the fiscal yr starts.

bentlebee, the USCIS clearly stated to me that I had to withdraw my pending AOS before filing the DV AOS. That was totally wrong. Don't take what the USCIS tells you for a fact because it could be wrong. If you read the forums from previous years you will see that some cases were even denied for submitting early. Be careful when you advice other members of what to do.