• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

My friend went to USCIS and I went along. On the phone nobody wanted to answer the question about the change of status. When we came for our appointment we were send back pretty fast and told just to reply to kentucky and wait till your second letter would come. She is here on a visa and over here for almost 10 yrs and according to the website she is eligable for change of status. She already has a SSN, proof of high school graduation over here, proof of funding on her own, etc...

So should she start to pay the fee and send it in? The person at USCIS was very rude...so that wasn't a great experience, but it was just one person. We noticed that most of the other employees were so different, maybe just bad luck but what the heck after she got the NL who cares!:)

At the USCIS office they told us that until October 2010 nothing will be done since at that point the fiscal year starts and the NL notification is for 2010 DV...so that made sense...that was stated by a supervisor.

bentlebee,

Are you sure the officer said October 2010? I think he/she meant October 2009: beginning of 2010 fiscal year. I think October 2009 is when you can file for AOS if you are a DV 2010 lottery winner.

Jlaw

You are right. October 2009.....sorry!

The first lady at USCIS was so rude and maybe it had to do that most people going to this office, are speaking Spanish and she spoke better Spanish than English her self...we kept pushing the issue in a friendly way and she got a supervisor (English language speaking person and better to understand) to explain to us that since she won for 2010 fiscal yr, nothing will be done before October 2009 when that fiscal yr starts.

She just needed to send in the requested forms to Kentucky and wait, but reading so many stories on this forum we wonder if we should start to send the $ 375.-...or maybe wait till Sept. 2009 so the 90 days will be more likely to be correct.

F1/f2 aos

Thanks BlueT41 for setting up this thread. Just thought I'd log my AOS journey as well. My case will be a F1/F2 AOS situation and looking at past visa bulletins my case number will be current around March/April in 2010. It's a bit of a wait but will keep the forum updated if issues come up.

Thanks BlueT41 for setting up this thread. Just thought I'd log my AOS journey as well. My case will be a F1/F2 AOS situation and looking at past visa bulletins my case number will be current around March/April in 2010. It's a bit of a wait but will keep the forum updated if issues come up.

Congrats romeot. Looking forward to hearing more from you. I'll continue to post info I find that I think would be helpful.

They really need to train the USCIS workers a lillte better. I've called there numerous times to get a striaght answer to a simple question and I always get a differnt answer. I was uncertain as to whether I needed a police certificate from my country of origin and the US where I live now. Anyway, I think I got it now. I don't have to submit police certificate with my application because I'm not part of the special category explained in I-485 Supplement. The biometrics will take care of that part. Geezz, they work there, they should know these things right?!! Exasperated!

They really need to train the USCIS workers a lillte better. I've called there numerous times to get a striaght answer to a simple question and I always get a differnt answer. I was uncertain as to whether I needed a police certificate from my country of origin and the US where I live now. Anyway, I think I got it now. I don't have to submit police certificate with my application because I'm not part of the special category explained in I-485 Supplement. The biometrics will take care of that part. Geezz, they work there, they should know these things right?!! Exasperated!

I was yesterday at the USCIS office because it is stated in the NL that if you are in US you have to consult with them whether or not you are elegible for AOS...However, I got little helpful USCIS person there, on my question if I have to submit anything at all to Kentucky, he said I shall get legal advise for this question he cant help as it is another authority and not USCIS related...Anyway, few positive hints I want to share here, when you submit the AOS package after your number becomes current, you shall also attach a cover letter which has to state that you apply for AOS because you won the DV lottery, attach also a copy of your NL!...I know that we have to mark DV lottery winner on the application itself but I guess the cover letter shall help the USCIS officer easier to handle the case...
Still, I am not sure if I have to send anything to Kentucky when I do AOS...or should I just submit my AOS package to USCIS once my number becomes current???

I was yesterday at the USCIS office because it is stated in the NL that if you are in US you have to consult with them whether or not you are elegible for AOS...However, I got little helpful USCIS person there, on my question if I have to submit anything at all to Kentucky, he said I shall get legal advise for this question he cant help as it is another authority and not USCIS related...Anyway, few positive hints I want to share here, when you submit the AOS package after your number becomes current, you shall also attach a cover letter which has to state that you apply for AOS because you won the DV lottery, attach also a copy of your NL!...I know that we have to mark DV lottery winner on the application itself but I guess the cover letter shall help the USCIS officer easier to handle the case...
Still, I am not sure if I have to send anything to Kentucky when I do AOS...or should I just submit my AOS package to USCIS once my number becomes current???

I was there with my friends (USCIS) and got a similar response...although we were clearly told to submit all requested papers to KCC and wait from there. She is also doing AOS and will wait till her number becomes current or it is closer to Oct. 1, 2009. The supervisor stated (we acted like we didn't understood the woman helping us at the window since she wasn't so clear and had a heavily Spanish accent, so we kept asking the same thing and she got the supervisor who spoke English with no Spanish accent to explain it clearly) that nothing will be done until the new fiscal yr starts since the NL is for the DV 2010 GC. My friends # is pretty good and according to a lawyer specialized in immigration her # should come current around December and you can apply or send in the check for AOS 3 month prior to the date...
She is going to do that, but after reading a lot on several different forums, it seems many people get a lot of unclear answers and maybe because many people have different visa's and because USCIS is government employees and we know how our government personal in Europe is....not very interested in anything other than getting through the day and getting home...if it was privately run it might have been different but we never know...of course exceptions are always there, so any great USCIS employee reading here...I'm not talking about you, just the unclear not interested person's.

another piece of information I also received from the USCIS office was that, within 90 days after the date you have filed for AOS, you will receive the work permit...That info, I got also from the USCIS officer.
Does anyone knows something about it?
Receiving work permit within 90 days after you filed for AOS?

Hi all!

I am doing AOS and I sent my DSP122 and barcode sheet to KCC on May 16th but I haven't recieved any confirmation from them yet. Anybody recieved confirmation from KCC?

You won for fscal yr 2010 which starts Oct. 1 2009. According to USCIS you won't here back till after that date, but some have stated they send a check for AOS and received a receipt.

My case number is 20.xxx. Do you think I have a chance to do AOS?

Hello kikya, what region is listed with your case number? I ask because your chances Depend not only on how high your number is,but also the region. If you go on the DOS website and check the bulletin for previous years, that would give you an idea as to when your number will be current.

Hi all!

I am doing AOS and I sent my DSP122 and barcode sheet to KCC on May 16th but I haven't recieved any confirmation from them yet. Anybody recieved confirmation from KCC?

Hello bordertin,
It took a while for me to get the second notice from KCC after I filed the DSP122. So be patient. For peace of mind you can always call them to confirm. The second notice just acknowledged receipt of application and my intention to do AOS. It also stated that the AOS $375 fee has to be paid. I had already sent in my $375 and filled out the AOS DV fee form and recieved the reciept by that time.
Hope that answers your question

Hi guys,
I promised to update out Dv2010 progress and here it

CN- 2010AF10XXX
4/17/09- NL form KCC
4/18/09- Sent DSP 122+ 230+ Bar code forms to KCC
6/02/09-Sent $750 (for 2 people) Dv fee + form to DOS
6/15-Received form back stamped PAID
6/26-Received Second NL

Question: From the letter, it sounds as if the AOS package can be sent to the USCIS from Oct 1st, is this right or? Thought we have to go by the visa bulletin? Any thoughts?

Hi guys,
I promised to update out Dv2010 progress and here it

CN- 2010AF10XXX
4/17/09- NL form KCC
4/18/09- Sent DSP 122+ 230+ Bar code forms to KCC
6/02/09-Sent $750 (for 2 people) Dv fee + form to DOS
6/15-Received form back stamped PAID
6/26-Received Second NL

Question: From the letter, it sounds as if the AOS package can be sent to the USCIS from Oct 1st, is this right or? Thought we have to go by the visa bulletin? Any thoughts?

Hello Daima,

The DV2010 starts Oct 1st 2009. It is recommended that you send in your application for AOS when your CN becomes current. If you send it too early it may be send back, since visas are not processed until your number is current. You can check the visa bulletin board on the DOS website of previous years to get an idea when your number will be current for your region. Here's the link.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

As we know get closer and closer to the AOS filing date, one question. When I was at the USCIS office, I got the AOS package, however, it is stated on it "effective 30. July 2007".
Is that really the latest, the current version? Does anyone has a newer version?

Update:I went to USCIS local office on Friday to gather some official information regarding the next steps. The officer there told me that I need to obtain the I-485 documents from the website, fill them out and send it once the fiscal year (October 2010) starts. I asked her whether I have to wait till my case number gets current; she told me that it shouldn’t matter (i.e. I could apply in October as well). However, from what I read here, I think it is a better idea to send it once your number gets current (or maybe a few weeks before). There is no advantage of sending it earlier anyways; so why bother and risk a possibility of them re-sending the documents back to you.

I am planning to download and fill the documents sometime before my case gets current and send them. I haven’t downloaded anything yet; is there any advantage of checking those out early?

I also asked her how long it would take to obtain work permit (in my case change companies) once I apply for the AOS. She said she wouldn’t know.

5/11/09: NL from KCC 2010EU00010XXX
5/27/09: Sent DSP122 (only) + barcode sheet to KCC
5/29/09: Sent $375 DV fee + form to DOS (in St. Louis)
6/03/09: Received stamped form (for $375 DV fee) from DOS
6/10/09: Received 2nd letter from DOS

Thanks, BlueT41.
I think we will wait until our number becomes current, hopefully by Nov..so it's not bad. Well, let's keep each other updated. I went thru Dv2008 AOS thread, man those guys did a fantastic job of sharing their info. I hope we do the same.

All the best to every1 doing AOS.